The All-time Auction Draft

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Maldini as CB is faster than Baresi, that seems to be what a lot of people were going on about with Vidic against L Ronaldo in the last match.
It's really a Vidic-specific thing after that memorable one-off 4-1 and red card. No one would have batted an eyelid at Baresi in that regard.

Cal?

CR7 fan
It's really a Vidic-specific thing after that memorable one-off 4-1 and red card. No one would have batted an eyelid at Baresi in that regard.
Oh well, too much thinking about it already, have already submitted my tactics and will see how it goes. :D

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
also I don't really see what Desailly would offer that Makelele wouldn't. :confused:
That's bizarre, mate. Desailly is a top 3 DM of all time, while Makelele isn't even top 10. And he'd fit in that tiki-taka thing much better as DM than Schewi or Matthaus. He isn't a deep playmaker, but pretty damn good in short passing. I personally rate him as good as Rijkaard.

Ronaldo - Pele - Messi
Iniesta --- Xavi
Desailly
Maldini-Vidic-Ferdinand-Alves
Smikey

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
He was better on the ball than most of his peers and his ability to bring the ball calmly out of defense was fantastic. Do you have to be as good a passer as Beckenbauer or Scirea to be a ball playing defender? The likes of Nesta, Rio, Carvalho etc are what I define as modern ball playing centerbacks.
Fair point. I suppose my problem lies with this 'ball player/stopper' ideal that most of us have as regards centre back partnerships. The logic behind it is sound, as any team benefits from competent distribution from defence, but it just becomes so regimented when centre backs are generally all lumped into one category or the other. I'd argue that Ferdinand is closer to John Terry in terms of on the ball ability than to Scirea or Beckenbauer, yet Ferdinand seems to tick off the 'ball playing centre back' box just fine while Terry wouldn't. This isnt a pre-match argument by the way - Terry was an excellent passer whilst being much less composed in terms of touch and dribbling than Rio.

I've lost track of what I'm talking about here, but basically its the all or nothing tendency in terms of defining a defender as a ball player thats problematic to me.

Annahnomoss

That's bizarre, mate. Desailly is a top 3 DM of all time, while Makelele isn't even top 10. And he'd fit in that tiki-taka thing much better as DM than Schewi or Matthaus. He isn't a deep playmaker, but pretty damn good in short passing. I personally rate him as good as Rijkaard.

Ronaldo - Pele - Messi
Iniesta --- Xavi
Desailly
Smikey
Desailly would be terrible in that role, the worst possible candidate in my book. He was all about winning the ball back and positioning himself to do so. Winning 50-50 duels to win the ball back relentlessly, but his passing game is among the worst for a top DM.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Desailly would be terrible in that role, the worst possible candidate in my book. He was all about winning the ball back and positioning himself to do so. Winning 50-50 duels to win the ball back relentlessly, but his passing game is among the worst for a top DM.
I don't recall him being a bad passer at all, but he definitely wasn't a one-touch man who would ever be comfortable trying to form quick triangles in possession.

Annahnomoss

I don't recall him being a bad passer at all, but he definitely wasn't a one-touch man who would ever be comfortable trying to form quick triangles in possession.
Not bad at all, but like I said in comparison to the other all-time great defensive midfielders/playmakers. Especially with Schweinsteiger and Busquets in the discussion he's on the other spectrum completely.

antohan

Ronaldo - Pele - Messi
Iniesta --- Xavi
Desailly
Smikey
He would be awful, the only place for Desailly in that team would be as a CB instead of Vidic.

As a DM, yes he is as good as Rijkaard, but Frank is the better footballer and just about the only GOAT DM who could also be a fit for that midfield. Interestingly though, Schweini would probably be as close a replica as you can get of what Rijkaard would do, more so than a Busquets replica actually.

antohan

Never forget El Principe. Him, Xavi and Iniesta would be :drool:
Oh yeah, I don't usually like Redondo used as the deep DM in a trio, too static and underutilised, but he would have been amazing in this setup.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Oh yeah, I don't usually like Redondo used as the deep DM in a trio, too static and underutilised, but he would have been amazing in this setup.
Redondo is a DLP much like Pirlo. I think he is better off given freedom to run the game himself. Putting him, Xavi and Iniesta would be a tad too many cooks. You need someone to provide a flexible outlet to Xaviesta and keep the ball moving around within that midfield trio. Not sure how Redondo fits that role, tbh!

antohan

Redondo is a DLP much like Pirlo. I think he is better off given freedom to run the game himself. Putting him, Xavi and Iniesta would be a tad too many cooks. You need someone to provide a flexible outlet to Xaviesta and keep the ball moving around within that midfield trio. Not sure how Redondo fits that role, tbh!
Not sure we are talking about the same Redondo, he was nothing like Pirlo. I'd agree he would need the tiki-taka possession discipline drilled into him, that wasn't his playing style, but he had all the tools in his locker to be pretty awesome at it.

antohan

I said that in the context of being a player who can run games himself and not a destroyer type DM like Makelele who needs a playmaker ahead of him.
Can and needs to are different things. I don't see Redondo needing to run the game, but the fact he is capable of it can come quite handy.

VivaJanuzaj

Saying Redondo is a classic DLP is madness, he is very much capable of putting the defensive shift and only has a slightly mobility issue(which is often exaggerated in these drafts anyway), which won't stop him from being a superb defensive DM. He just has fantastic skills on the ball so he isn't the a Makalele of course, but that doesn't make him Pirlo either.

Annahnomoss

Thanks for the draft Annah! It's been fun.

Even with no restrictions, there were no perfect teams throughout. Surprising!
Cheers! Happy people enjoyed it considering the discussions at the start of the draft and the delays it had. I am very pleased with the way it went and no single team were really close to being boringly perfect in the entire draft. Surprising, but these drafts tends to find a way to make the easy and obvious very difficult.