The All-time Auction Draft

VivaJanuzaj

The Pelé he needs to play to get the best out of Messi and Ronaldo wouldn't work well with Cruyff there imo.

Not to mention that playing on the Counter doesn't give you anywhere near the best messi.

Plus a Makelele and Bastian midfield is hardly the best shield to stop GOAT attackers.

Just my 0.02
:) kind of kidding, would be interesting as an idea(I personally don't see any problem with Messi in a counter attacking side) though.
I'm not sure Cruyff really, could do equally good with Zidane. Actually @Cal? , take Desailly and go:

Shmeichel
Lahm -- Rio -- Vidic -- Maldini
Makalele -- Desailly
Zidane
Messi --------------- Ronaldo
Pele
Bunker with four of the deadliest upfront ready to charge. :lol:

VivaJanuzaj

:) kind of kidding, would be interesting as an idea(I personally don't see any problem with Messi in a counter attacking side) though.
I'm not sure Cruyff really, could do equally good with Zidane. Actually @Cal? , take Desailly and go:

Shmeichel
Lahm -- Rio -- Vidic -- Maldini
Makalele -- Desailly
Zidane
Messi --------------- Ronaldo
Pele
Bunker with four of the deadliest upfront ready to charge. :lol:

Is VB-Maradona-Eusebio strong enough to score against that defense? I honestly don't know.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I've decided on Roberto Carlos, the result of a dice roll... ;)

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The Pelé he needs to play to get the best out of Messi and Ronaldo wouldn't work well with Cruyff there imo.

Not to mention that playing on the Counter doesn't give you anywhere near the best messi.

Plus a Makelele and Bastian midfield is hardly the best shield to stop GOAT attackers.

Just my 0.02
:lol:

While I agree with much of that, you seem desperate not to have him moving away from his current setup.

antohan

I've decided on Roberto Carlos, the result of a dice roll... ;)
Hmmmm, I thought VivaJanuzaj had made an interesting suggestion there, and Desailly could have also slotted in for Vidic in defence.

antohan

For those of you a little bemused at what's it with the Anto-Theon feud, a convo (if it can be called that) we had this weekend shows the clear communication breakdown:

Mate, Skizzopat pick first. Not very nice to give away the obvious upgrade who also is one of their obvious upgrades.
Catch yourself on you moron :lol:

Giving people advice on how to be nice. Jesus Christ.
Unwarranted response. Twat.
Radio said:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Hmmmm, I thought VivaJanuzaj had made an interesting suggestion there, and Desailly could have also slotted in for Vidic in defence.
I'm considering trying something other than tiki-taka, maybe:

Schmeichel
Alves - Rio - Maldini - Carlos
Makelele
Xavi - Zidane
Messi - Pele - Cristiano

antohan

I'm considering trying something other than tiki-taka, maybe:

Schmeichel
Alves - Rio - Maldini - Carlos
Makelele
Xavi - Zidane
Messi - Pele - Cristiano
If you are abandoning tiki-taka Viva's suggestion was your best route really. Xavi outside tiki-taka is just a very good midfielder, but not really worthy of an all-time final. And if you were going to play both Alves and Carlos you sure as feck want more protection for that backline in the form of a sweeper or double pivot.

VivaJanuzaj

@antohan people just won't take gambles, simple 4-3-3s or 4-2-3-1 is their way to go. I don't blame Cal?, he spent his money very well and wants to reserve that side, but I really don't know why people are so conservative in these draft games.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
And if you were going to play both Alves and Carlos you sure as feck want more protection for that backline in the form of a sweeper or double pivot.
Yeah, very difficult to include both unless you play them as wingbacks. Even during Barca's peak, Abidal gave that backline a lot of balance playing a very conservative fullback and Maldini was the obvious and absolutely perfect player for that role. Even more difficult to include both in a 'normal' 433ish formation.

Did I miss something or why did no one suggest Baresi in for Vidic? Thought that was the by far most fitting upgrade for Cal. Baresi didn't feature in the semifinals and now won't play in the final, right? You all should be ashamed.

VivaJanuzaj

Yeah, very difficult to include both unless you play them as wingbacks. Even during Barca's peak, Abidal gave that backline a lot of balance playing a very conservative fullback and Maldini was the obvious and absolutely perfect player for that role. Even more difficult to include both in a 'normal' 433ish formation.

Did I miss something or why did no one suggest Baresi in for Vidic? Thought that was the by far most fitting upgrade for Cal. Baresi didn't feature in the semifinals and now won't play in the final, right? You all should be ashamed.
With Schweinstieger and Alves? Nice idea.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!

Baresi? He featured in draft far too often

Santamaria? Judging from people's reaction - priceless

Cal?

CR7 fan

I thought long and hard about Baresi, just that Baresi - Rio just doesn't seem right to me, if I go with Baresi - Maldini and play Lahm at LB, it brings back the comments about how he hasn't played there for years, etc...

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
With Schweinstieger and Alves? Nice idea.
Yeah. Instead of worrying about protecting a weak backline, just turn it into a fecking awesome backline that gives Alves all the freedom he needs without making Schweinsteiger a weak link in DM. So easy.

Ronaldo - Pele - Messi
Iniesta - Xavi
Schweinsteiger
Maldini - Baresi - Ferdinand - Alves
Schmeichel
looks incredible to me. That midfield is still a fantastic coherent unit. That backline doesn't need protection. Alves can do his thing.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I thought long and hard about Baresi, just that Baresi - Rio just doesn't seem right to me, if I go with Baresi - Maldini and play Lahm at LB, it brings back the comments about how he hasn't played there for years, etc...
Why? It's not like Ferdinand is a libero-type of centerback who'd constantly charge forward or anything like that. And Baresi is the ultimate centerback, you can partner him with anyone in my opinion and it won't cause any problems at all. He's not like Beckenbauer or Scirea who probably need a covering centerback next to them. Also, if you keep the Barca set-up going, you don't need conventional centerbacks anyway.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Why? It's not like Ferdinand is a libero-type of centerback who'd constantly charge forward or anything like that. And Baresi is the ultimate centerback, you can partner him with anyone in my opinion and it won't cause any problems at all. He's not like Beckenbauer or Scirea who probably need a covering centerback next to them. Also, if you keep the Barca set-up going, you don't need conventional centerbacks anyway.
Interesting, I've spoken to a few people about this and most seem to be of the opinion that it'd be better to play a hardman type next to Baresi than a ball-player like Rio. Anyway, I think Maldini-Rio is as good a CB pairing as any...

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
i had the same "problem" with Baresi, as he was pretty much the most complete centerback in history i wasnt sure which type of the defender to pick for his partner....

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Interesting, I've spoken to a few people about this and most seem to be of the opinion that it'd be better to play a hardman type next to Baresi than a ball-player like Rio. Anyway, I think Maldini-Rio is as good a CB pairing as any...
I wouldn't call Rio a ballplaying defender. And Baresi easily offers everything that Vidic does anyway, just a lot more. He's the definition of a complete centerback.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
i had the same "problem" with Baresi, as he was pretty much the most complete centerback in history i wasnt sure which type of the defender to pick for his partner....
Well, you can pick anyone you like :D. Most of the modern centerbacks are relatively complete anyway. Maldini, Nesta, Rio, Thuram. You can partner them easily with each other or with someone like Baresi, especially if you play pro-active tactics and a high defensive line.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Costacurta would be the obvious answer, Maldini would certainly work.
I wouldn't call Rio a ballplaying defender. And Baresi easily offers everything that Vidic does anyway, just a lot more. He's the definition of a complete centerback.
Hmm... now I'm regretting my choice... Baresi was one of my options.

Anyway, still confident I should have enough to win the final.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Oh and I've never even made the final of a draft, so what do I know.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Well, you can pick anyone you like :D. Most of the modern centerbacks are relatively complete anyway. Maldini, Nesta, Rio, Thuram. You can partner them easily with each other or with someone like Baresi, especially if you play pro-active tactics and a high defensive line.
pretty much but i would still want "ball winner" partnering Nesta/Rio and "reader of the game" with Thuram for example even though they are pretty complete as you said. With Maldini im not sure, he would probably go in same category(ultimate defender) as Baresi but i like him more in fullback position....

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
pretty much but i would still want "ball winner" partnering Nesta/Rio and "reader of the game" with Thuram for example even though they are pretty complete as you said. With Maldini im not sure, he would probably go in same category(ultimate defender) as Baresi but i like him more in fullback position....
Same here, another reason why I don't like the Carlos pick. But I stop now, Cal obviously has an excellent team and a fantastic back line now. He just needs to get his tactics right and the final should be exciting.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I wouldn't call Rio a ballplaying defender.
Neither would I. His ball playing abilities are usually over-hyped on here due to the fact that he was better on the ball than a) your typical English CB and b) Vidic.

Rio was an elegant defender, one who used less than physical means to do the job, but he wasn't a ball playing defender in an all-time context - clearly not.

antohan

I think you may be mistaking hardman for aerially awesome stopper. Against van Basten and Gullit/Eusebio I would be worried about Rio-Baresi, indeed.

That game-specific factor aside, it would be a brilliant back four that @Balu laid out.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I think that tag often includes a few too many limitations. Rio was a complete and intelligent defender in my book, he could play a decent pass without being really creative, he had pace, great positioning. He didn't use a physical approach but was in no way weak in that regard if necessary. I don't think his passing stood out, he's just really complete and could partner almost any type of defender without it causing problems. I wouldn't call Nesta or Maldini ball-playing centerbacks either, even though they clearly could pass the ball out of defense.

Moby

Dick
He was better on the ball than most of his peers and his ability to bring the ball calmly out of defense was fantastic. Do you have to be as good a passer as Beckenbauer or Scirea to be a ball playing defender? The likes of Nesta, Rio, Carvalho etc are what I define as modern ball playing centerbacks.

Cal?

CR7 fan
He was better on the ball than most of his peers and his ability to bring the ball calmly out of defense was fantastic. Do you have to be as good a passer as Beckenbauer or Scirea to be a ball playing defender? The likes of Nesta, Rio, Carvalho etc are what I define as modern ball playing centerbacks.
That's what I was thinking, Maldini-Rio just seemed to look more a "pairing" than Baresi-Rio. Anyway, have to decide if I stick to tiki-taka or bring Zidane in and expect him to score 2 headers from corners. :)

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I think you may be mistaking hardman for aerially awesome stopper. Against van Basten and Gullit/Eusebio I would be worried about Rio-Baresi, indeed.

That game-specific factor aside, it would be a brilliant back four that @Balu laid out.
Kinda depends on your own approach to the game. If you sit deep and want to soak a pressure, I'd get that point, even though I wouldn't see it as a huge issue. In a Barca-esque set-up? They'd be awesome, even against van Basten and Gullit/Eusebio.

antohan

Kinda depends on your own approach to the game. If you sit deep and want to soak a pressure, I'd get that point, even though I wouldn't see it as a huge issue. In a Barca-esque set-up? They'd be awesome, even against van Basten and Gullit/Eusebio.
Sure, they are far less exposed in that setup and he isn't facing wingers (although both Cabrini and Amoros could put in a cross, Maldini would prevent the former but Cabrini would get some in there).

Maldini as CB doesn't make it any different either (in any case worse as Amoros would cross more often), so it was defo a better option than Carlos, that we definitely agree on. Had Figueroa been available though I would have picked him ahead of Baresi 10/10 times for this game.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Sure, they are far less exposed in that setup and he isn't facing wingers (although both Cabrini and Amoros could put in a cross, Maldini would prevent the former but Cabrini would get some in there).

Maldini as CB doesn't make it any different either (in any case worse as Amoros would cross more often), so it was defo a better option than Carlos, that we definitely agree on. Had Figueroa been available though I would have picked him ahead of Baresi 10/10 times for this game.
Maldini as CB is faster than Baresi, that seems to be what a lot of people were going on about with Vidic against L Ronaldo in the last match.