The All-time Auction Draft

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
That makes sense, just checking I'd got it right in my head. Although I think the left half and right half in the WM play wider than the a standard CM. Not to the extent of in the 2-3-5 but they still had to move wide due to the lack of tracking back by the opponents winger. In fact I was thinking that the WM is really effectively a 3-4-3 square as opposed to a 3-4-3 diamond.

The way the 2-3-2-3 is drawn on the picture above makes it look little different to a 4-3-3 with the pivot in front of the back 4.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Out of interest is there much footage of a team playing 2-3-5? I've seen quite a lot of the WM but would like to see some 2-3-5.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

That's pretty identical I would say. Do notice Victor Rodriguez Andrade played on the right vs. Bolivia and Spain, then Juan González got injured and Gambetta was brought in on the right with Victor on the left for the games against Sweden and Brazil.

antohan

That makes sense, just checking I'd got it right in my head. Although I think the left half and right half in the WM play wider than the a standard CM. Not to the extent of in the 2-3-5 but they still had to move wide due to the lack of tracking back by the opponents winger. In fact I was thinking that the WM is really effectively a 3-4-3 square as opposed to a 3-4-3 diamond.

The way the 2-3-2-3 is drawn on the picture above makes it look little different to a 4-3-3 with the pivot in front of the back 4.
Never get too hung up on how wiki reports formations. As far as they are concerned France played a diamond formation in 1984, yet everyone callled it "the magic square". :lol:

antohan

Out of interest is there much footage of a team playing 2-3-5? I've seen quite a lot of the WM but would like to see some 2-3-5.
Very little, most footage is of goals so you don't get to see how it typically worked. As far as the forwards are concerned it's useful, but it's when they score so the defensive side is being displayed at its worst :lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
José. Uruguay played pretty much the exact same formation with both Andrades though, the difference is a stylistic one in that Victor was more defensively focused (as opposed to Gambetta, whose name is today the common term for dodge in South America, i.e. gambetear = to dodge).
Ah, indeed an Andrade mix-up, then. I thought it was the nephew.

Well, that does change things. Uncle Jose, as we've discussed before, was clearly less ideal for a “pure” DM role than the nephew – it becomes a problem of another sort than the one I imagined.

It would indeed be better to give Lothar more of a workhorse role, given it's the uncle and not the more defensively stout nephew. Shame, that – but still, it's by no means a hopeless situation, given how versatile Lothar is. He just has to do some dirty work – he can take that.

But it's hardly ideal, it has to be said.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There's quite a bit of footage, as such - but it's basically no good in terms of seeing the pattern(s) and the way it actually works in a match. It's mostly goals and dribbles - and the camera angles don't help either.

Still, it's worth checking out what does exist. And much more than what is available today actually exists - which is somewhat painful to consider: There are archives around (national broadcasters all over the world) with non-digitalized material, old reels and whatnot.

antohan

There's quite a bit of footage, as such - but it's basically no good in terms of seeing the pattern(s) and the way it actually works in a match. It's mostly goals and dribbles - and the camera angles don't help either.

Still, it's worth checking out what does exist. And much more than what is available today actually exists - which is somewhat painful to consider: There are archives around (national broadcasters all over the world) with non-digitalized material, old reels and whatnot.
I sent Joga the best/most complete footage I have seen re: 1950. A documentary film was made last year, which obviously has lots of colourful interviews (in Spanish) but they did manage to recover some brilliant footage, including two of the final group games which are absent in the all goals one.

May as well put it on here.

1950: all goals from most games.

1950 Documentary proper film so not on Youtube!

What little FIFA managed to recover and publish of 1930 and that Uruguayan side. Not much and a bit of a grainy car crash more akin to a newspaper's "spot the ball". Oddly the best bits are the 1924 ones, including the first ever lap of honour (yes, we invented that, it's why in Spanish it's called "vuelta olímpica"/Olympic Lap). (also, doesn't Pedro Cea remind you of Chicharito?).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Its hard to give Yashin a arrow going backwards :/
Why would you? He was a very aggressive sweeper-keeper of sorts - not to the extent of Neuer, but it he was to have an arrow on him, it would've been pointing forward.

antohan

It isn't hard but stupid. Like that keeper who saved a peno, then walked into the goal to pick up his cap. Goal.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Why would you? He was a very aggressive sweeper-keeper of sorts - not to the extent of Neuer, but it he was to have an arrow on him, it would've been pointing forward.
Harms it was a tongue in cheek comment as I had too many arrows on all my players, I edited the post after some banter from Skizzo/Ed.

@antohan is that the optimum role for Andrade?

harms

Staff
Harms it was a tongue in cheek comment as I had too many arrows on all my players, I edited the post after some banter from Skizzo/Ed.
I know, I'm just a fan of keeper arrows myself

harms

Staff
Best front 3 in the world. :drool:

- So, @Cal? , who is the best football player in the world in your opinion?

All it takes is a friendly journo and, regardless of the answer, your team is gone, just like that. Mind games :D

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The younger Schools was still quality and will score a lot of goals. In this set-up he'll be a better version of peak Lampard- having Redondo there will allow him to play much further forward than he did alongside Keane. Robson has the licence to play full box-to-box

antohan

@antohan is that the optimum role for Andrade?
That's your worst so far. I said it was a shame Andrade would be more b2b and not a dedicated holding midfielder, because it would impact thee freedom of Matthäus and/or Didí. Don't think the answer to that is have them both in midfield and Andrade doing "something" out wide. Your original formation was fine, the one you had for days before the magic square.

Cal?

CR7 fan

- So, @Cal? , who is the best football player in the world in your opinion?

All it takes is a friendly journo and, regardless of the answer, your team is gone, just like that. Mind games :D
They play different roles, etc... :)

antohan

Considering the omissions vs. what got picked one of the omissions that must be clearest is that of Oleh Blokhin.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Muller would feel at home in the modern game :lol::lol::lol:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Annahnomoss Is this what you had in mind to explain the 3 year peak?

Bixente Lizarazu

1998-99:
DFB-Ligapokal, DFB-Pokal, Bundesliga, FIFA World Cup, ESM Team of the Year

1999-00:
SFB-Pokal, Bundesliga, UEFA European Championship

2000-01:
UEFA European Championship, UEFA Team of the Year, Intercontinental Cup, UEFA Super Cup (Runner up)

Karlheinz Förster

1980-81:
UEFA European Championship

1981-82:
German Footballer of the Year

1982-83:
FIFA World Cup (Runner Up)

Tarcisio Burgnich

Integral part of the famed Grande Inter line-up.

1964:
UEFA Champions League (European Cup)

1965:
UEFA Champions League (European Cup)

1966:
Serie A winner

Djalma Santos

A superlative career that cannot be constrained into any ‘peaks’. The fact that he is one of only three players to be included into three FIFA World Cup All Star teams (in 1954, 1958 and 1962) says it all.
Bobby Charlton put him in his all-time XI and said “I had never seen anyone could get pass him even one time.”

Matthias Sammer

1994-95:
Bundesliga, DFB-Supercup, ESM Team of the Year, German Footballer of the Year

1995-96:
Bundesliga, DFB-Supercup, UEFA Euro Championship (winner, Best Player and Team of the Torunament), German Footballer of the Year, Onze d’Or, Balon d’Or

1996-97:
UEFA Champions League

Sir Bobby Charlton

1965-66:
FWA Footballer of the Year, Charity Shield winner

1966-67:
Balon d’Or , League 1st Division winner, FIFI World Cup all Star team,

1967-68:
UEFA Euro Championship (Bronze), Charity Shield winner, UEFA Champions League (European Cup)

Bernd Schuster

1980-81:
Copa Del Ray winner, UEFA European Football Championship winner, UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament, Balon d’Or (Runner Up)

1981-82:
European Cup Winners Cup winner, Balon d’Or (Third Place)

1982-83:
Copa Del Ray winner, Supercopa de España winner, Copa de la Liga winner

Roberto Rivellino

1970-71
FIFA World Cup winner

1971-72
Bola de Prata Brazilian Championship All-Star Team

1972-73
Bronze ball South American Footballer of the Year

Jairzinho

1968-69
Torneio de Caracas, Taça Brasil de Futebol, State Championship, Guanabara Cup,

1969-70

1970-71
FIFA World Cup winner

Sándor Kocsis

1951-52
Olympic Champions, Hungarian Champions

1952-53
Central European Champions

1953-54
FIFA World Cup Runner up, FIFA World Cup Golden Boot, FIFA World Cup All-Star Team, Hungarian Champions

Last edited: