The anniversary thread / On this day ..... (thread)

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Instead of making several threads to mark or celebrate memorable moments on their anniversary or on this day one year ago or ten years ago etc, maybe we could fit them all in here.
It can be a 1 year anniversary, 5 year, 10 year anniversary or any year really. You get the idea.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start of with this. One of the greatest games ever.

Last edited:

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
A fecking WC during the season. feck FIFA.

JogaBonitoRooney

Best world cup ever. So many tears because an Arab nation hosted it.

Didn't see as many tears when Russia hosted it. A couple of years later we see who the real problem ends up being and it's not Qatar.

Vernon Philander

France’s 3rd string came so close to winning a superb final

also, Martinez is an absolute fecking bellend

Blood Mage

Meh it felt like the whole tournament was rigged for Messi to win it. Argentina got several dodgy calls in their favour.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
One of the most iconic and dramatic sporting occasions I’ve ever witnessed (on the tv of course). Incredible.

Maclooch

Proud to say I was there for it, and had an absolute blast.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Messi finally got his world cup, let's just not talk about the rest. (Unless it's discussions about reparations for dead migrant workers)

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great World Cup. Probably the best I’ve seen but could be recency bias.

Pes6Monster

Excellent final, but the best WC match is Germany France in 1982. I'd say this was the best final, from the 70th minute onward. It was all Argentina until Otamendi went all Otamendi.

Didn't see as many tears when Russia hosted it.
Didn't you?

Perhaps you were too busy inventing excuses for the next host.

(Unless it's discussions about reparations for dead migrant workers)
But but but Messi is the GOAT!
Great World Cup. Probably the best I’ve seen but could be recency bias.
Thought it average. Great final, but the whole Messi narrative wound me up a little. Tournament was a little meh.

Huge victory for sports-washing, too, followed by Abu Dhabi's hollow treble. At least Qatar aren't buying us.

ArjenIsM3

Meh. Tainted world cup. Good final sure, but Argentina were only in that final because the FIFA were so desperate for Messi to lift it. So much got called in their favour it was ridiculous. The rest of it was bang average. Not to mention the amount of lives that were taken because of it.

JogaBonitoRooney

Didn't you?

Perhaps you were too busy inventing excuses for the next host.
Yes there was known controversy about Russia's bid and hosting but nowhere near the level Qatar received. Talks of boycott and such just before the tournament. Had 12 years to complain but we hear about most if it right before the tournament and when stadiums are already built.

Qatar is a dodgy country with lots of issues for sure. But I stopped caring as much about all the sportswashing stuff after so many recent events.

We've got a the biggest terrorist county hosting it in 2026. Let's see if there's any boycott and sportswashing calls then. Killed over a million in the middle east this century and backing their ally in the current killing, bombing and displacement of thousands right now. Yeah Qatar is the worst of them, sure.

Last edited:

JustAGuest

Shame he had to wear that ugly robe in what should be one of the most iconic images in football history. I guess it serves as a reminder of what a farce that tournament really was.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
From a football perspective it was a brilliant tournament, capped off with probably one of the greatest - if not certainly the most dramatic - game I've ever seen.

Bole Top

best WC I've ever watched and it will always be my favourite tournament in general. having a world cup game whenever I turned the TV on literally saved me in those days, for reasons I won't talk about here. and then the whole thing ended in best possible way; Ronaldo crying like a bitch he always was, Messi taking that trophy in one of the best finals ever and ending every GOAT debate, and me winning a nice bet. simply a perfect and iconic tournament.

Pes6Monster

Ronaldo crying like a bitch he always was, Messi taking that trophy in one of the best finals ever and ending every GOAT debate
Surely the next big debate is who is better between CR7 and Messi.

Neither as good as Pele, though. Or Gabriel Obertan.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Terrible World Cup due to it being mid season, didn’t feel like a World Cup and I barely managed to watch much of it. Boring narrative around Messi and everything else that went with it.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
This whole “FIFA manipulated it to allow Messi to win it” may be the stupidest tin foil hat theory I’ve heard for a while.

Robertd0803

16 years since Moscow is truly scary when you think of it. Still get chills to this day watching it.

Nothing in football will ever be colder than Van der Sar looking down at John Terry after he slipped and even better that Terry never got redemption and turned himself in to a joke :lol::lol::lol:

What a night.

thisisnottaken1

16 years since we last won the Champions League. I was 9 at the time. The saddest thing is that I didn’t become a fan until two years later.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
16 years since we last won the Champions League. I was 9 at the time. The saddest thing is that I didn’t become a fan until two years later.
Best night of my life. We watched on a big screen at Manchester arena. Got very drunk, had my first hangover and failed the GCSE German exam that I had the next day. Halcyon days.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Also kinda reminds you how 'early' the football season ended back in the day. We still got 2 weeks (just under) to go.

thisisnottaken1

Also kinda reminds you how 'early' the football season ended back in the day. We still got 2 weeks (just under) to go.
Yup. The 2010 Champions League final was 14 years ago today. It was the first Champions League final played on a Saturday. Why doesn’t the send end that early anymore?

black country red

78 years ago today the player Messi and Ronaldo wished they could have been was born when I die and they lay to rest going to go on piss with Georgie best

tentan

Poor man's poster.

Tens years since La Decima.

I don't think I ever wanted a team other than United to win a CL final as much as I did with Atletico. That Ramos equaliser in the 93rd minute will always anger me.

thisisnottaken1

25 years ago today since the greatest achievement in English club football history - we completed the treble on that night in Barcelona, on what would have been Sir Matt Busby’s 90th birthday.

thisisnottaken1

One year ago today…we lost the FA Cup 2-1 to Man City, allowing them to get one step closer to the treble, which they completed a week later. Very upsetting, as our city rivals equaled our greatest achievement. I felt sick seeing them display the Premier League, FA Cup, and Champion’s League trophies side by side in their first home game of the season. I know that it shouldn’t count because they won it by cheating, but unfortunately it does according to the history books, as does their fourth title in a row that they won this season. Hopefully these trophies will all be deservedly stripped from them, but I sadly don’t think that that will happen, and they’ll probably get a slap on the wrist.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
16 years since Moscow is truly scary when you think of it. Still get chills to this day watching it.

Nothing in football will ever be colder than Van der Sar looking down at John Terry after he slipped and even better that Terry never got redemption and turned himself in to a joke :lol::lol::lol:

What a night.
It's so long ago now that the thought of it doesn't even sting anymore. It helps that we've won the CL twice since then of course, but time truly is the ultimate healer. It is crazy though, that we're slowly edging towards it being 20 years ago.

thisisnottaken1

It's so long ago now that the thought of it doesn't even sting anymore. It helps that we've won the CL twice since then of course, but time truly is the ultimate healer. It is crazy though, that we're slowly edging towards it being 20 years ago.
That is fucking terrifying.

Robertd0803

Yeah it really does feel like a lifetime or two ago at this stage.