The Argument for Giggs as our Next Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
This is something of a follow-on from the "If not LVG then who?" thread, and it is something I am aware has been discussed before (including by myself) but I think there is enough here to merit its own thread.

I am in the apparent minority who thinks that Giggs should be our next manager after LVG. This is on the assumption that LVG is going to retire perhaps after the 16/17 season - or maybe a year later if he fancies extending his stay.

So, my arguments (and counter-arguments to some of the commonly put forward ones against him) for Giggs' as the next long term manager are as follows;

1) "Lack of Experience" & Similar Arguments - "send him out and let him earn his stripes at another club first".
The most common argument against Giggs is his lack of managerial experience. The thing is however, managing Manchester United is not like managing some mid table club. Ego and arrogance aside, we all saw what happened when a Premier League stalwart in David Moyes made the step from Everton (a decent club themselves) to United - he was completely out of his depth. With this in mind, why is there this assumption that Giggs needs to go and manage an Everton, and that doing so will somehow qualify him to manage United?

What Giggs does have at the moment however, is a very strong United pedigree. He has been at the club since he was a boy, he knows the club and how it operates like the back of his hand. This to me is far more valuable than a few years managing a mid table team, which in reality does not say anything about how well equipped he is to manage United. If anything, I would rather see him appointed at United without having gone and been at other clubs for x amount of years - better to appoint him now while he has the benefit of strong exist relationships with the current staff, players and club itself.

2) Giggs is a proven winner who commands respect
On a related note to the above, Giggs has won it all with United. One of the big failings of Moyes (arguably) was that because he had not won trophies or competed at the top levels of competition, he did not or could not command the respect of the players. Giggs would definitely not have this problem, and in addition to respect, he also knows the players and the backroom staff already. Further to this is that he knows the fans and the expectations at the club - he understands that just getting the 3 points every week is not enough for us.

3) We do not want another lengthy "transition" after LVG
The majority of fans seem to want a Klopp, Guardiola or Mourinho after LVG leaves. My big concern with this is the lack of continuity it creates. Any of those managers will arguably want to bring in their own backroom staff, will want to make substantial changes to the team, the system, the style of football etc... just like LVG has.
So with one of those "big names", the scenario we end up with is LVG having been here for perhaps 3 years (of which at least the first can be labelled as transition), only for a new manager to come in and start a lengthy transition themselves. And what is the guarantee that they will stay longer than LVG has?

Personally, when LVG steps down I expet him to be leaving a squad capable of challenging for the PL and CL. What I want is someone who can come in and continue what LVG has started, without making wholesale changes across the board/pitch. Giggs fits this criteria - the very fact that he is not an experienced, established manager means he is not likely to be quite as 'set in his ways' as the likes of LVG, and will not have his established system or philosophy that he needs to imprint. On the contrary, if Giggs takes over then it will be on the back of him spending 3+ years working under LVG and learning from him. This relates to my next point...

4) Giggs has learnt from the very best.
Does anyone really think that after working with SAF, Moyes and LVG, Giggs wont have picked up on both the good and bad traits employed by each? Giggs may not be experienced himself, but he has had the opportunity to learn from arguably the greatest manager of all time, another highly successful top calibre manager in LVG, and has witnessed what can only be described as an unmitigated disaster in Moyes' brief tenure.

I am not trying to claim that this is a direct substitute for first hand experience, but working under some very high profile names both as a player and a coach is bound to rub off on someone who is eager to learn and keen to get into football management. And Giggs is no slouch, LVG has come out praising him and saying that he has talent for management already.

Finally,

5) Giggs would not be on his own
Just as he has learnt from SAF and LVG, if appointed I am sure that both of those two would be happy to lend advice and support to Giggs if required, while he gets settled in to the job. On top of this are his other contacts and friends in the footballing world like Scholes and Neville, and even his relationship with the senior players in the squad like Rooney.

If he was made manager, Giggs would be surrounded with experienced staff, players and contacts like SAF who have seen it all as a football manager. I do not think that Giggs would be so arrogant or egotistical to insist on striking out on his own in his first management job. He would continue to learn and benefit from the experience around him, to adapt and build on the framework and foundations being put in place by LVG as we speak.

Some of this may sound romantic, but as others said in the other thread - what is football without a bit of romanticism from time to time? We have seen others like Guardiola and even Garry Monk make the transition from playing to managing with little-to-no experience successfully, and for me, when LVG leaves, the context and environment will be just right for our own Pep-like appointment. I would not have backed Giggs to take over from SAF, nor from Moyes, as the time and circumstances simply were not right for such an appointment, but for the reasons stated above, I think that after LVG the circumstances will be right, and that Giggs could add his name to a list including the likes of Busby and Ferguson, as one of the great managers of his generation.

If you have read all this then thanks, and I hope you give it some thought rather than just dismissing the notion of Giggs as manager out-of-hand.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I just want him there because I love the man and want to feel the strongest emotional connection with the club I love.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
He might also bring Scholes and GNev as coaches....so worth a shot. Certainly no worse than a lot of the other choices.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I think there's too many uncertainties in appointing Giggs immediately afterwards.

When experienced managers like Mourinho, LVG & Wenger are struggling to get consistent results throughout a season in a league where every game is difficult. I wouldn't have confidence in having an inexperienced manager coming in. And it's only going to get more difficult as teams like Crystal Palace, WBA & Stoke acquire better signings.

Plus terms like "United pedigree" and "playing The United Way" isn't smart. Football changes and adapts, and at some point we're going to have to let go of the fact that SAF isn't in charge any more and football is a completely different animal.
If we don't then we'll be left behind.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
If he gets the job and if he's successful, it would possibly be the greatest story in the club's history....

However, I love the guy and I don't want to see him fail or even run that risk. I also don't want the club to make a Moyes mk II mistake
You cant find much joy in life if you refuse to take any risks just in case they fail.

Every managerial appointment is a risk. For me, even with one of the big names touted, there is no guarantee of success. I have outlined the reasons why I think that Giggs could even be less of a risk than some of the other suggestions made.
Also, you are right in that Giggs loves the club - with that in mind, if things werent going well, I suspect he might be the first person to hold his hands up and admit it.

Jerch

One big difference between apointing Giggs after Moyes and apointing Giggs after LVG will be that Giggs will not have anymore players that are mates with him at the club. Almost every player we will have will know Giggs just as a trainer not as a player and it will be a lot easier for Giggs.

I will not say it will be right or wrong decision, it is a decision that a club have to make and if they will make it i think it will be the right decision, if they won't decide for Giggs it will be right decision as well.

Someone

Something
So many legends have failed miserably to manage their clubs, i understand the romance of it all, but in reality he hasn't proven he could do it at any capacity.

A big no for me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Every managerial appointment is a risk. For me, even with one of the big names touted, there is no guarantee of success. I have outlined the reasons why I think that Giggs could even be less of a risk than some of the other suggestions made.
Also, you are right in that Giggs loves the club - with that in mind, if things werent going well, I suspect he might be the first person to hold his hands up and admit it.
Giggs is not a less of a risk than other top managers. It's silly to suggest otherwise. Links with the club is all well and good but you have to be capable of being a great at management. And those who have proven it before will always be less of a risk than someone who hasn't.

And just because there's no guarantee of success, that means we should just take chances and not hire the best man available?

hbgreg

which in reality does not say anything about how well equipped he is to manage United.
Yep.

If anything, I would rather see him appointed at United without having gone and been at other clubs for x amount of years - better to appoint him now while he has the benefit of strong exist relationships with the current staff, players and club itself.
Nope.

Giggs would definitely not have this problem, and in addition to respect, he also knows the players and the backroom staff already. Further to this is that he knows the fans and the expectations at the club - he understands that just getting the 3 points every week is not enough for us.
He'd get respect initially but if he isn't up to scratch as a manager tactically they wouldn't respect him as a manager, just as the player he was. LvG came in and instantly had the respect of all the staff, the board, the players - because he's LvG and that's his personality. He won trophies at the biggest teams (as a manager), and he doesn't take anyone's crap, not because he was a great player for Manchester United but because he has a big personality and backs it up with being a great manager.

We do not want another lengthy "transition" after LVG
The main reason people want Giggs in as a manager IS so that he can rip apart what LvG laid down and go back to the "PROPER MANCHESTER UNITED WAY"

I am not trying to claim that this is a direct substitute for first hand experience
It is not a close substitute, the experience proved to him that he's not ready.

if appointed I am sure that both of those two would be happy to lend advice and support to Giggs if required
If he needs advice from LvG and SAF, he ISN'T ready to be the manager. LvG gets advice from his staff, he doesn't go up to SAF's office and ask him what to do next.

Pep-like appointment.
He had managerial experience.

kps88

I'd love to give him a go if there's no outstanding candidate (basically Guardiola) available at the time.

The one thing that worries me is does he really buy into LVG's philosophy or will he tear everything down? Clubs like Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern have done well to make full use of the foundation LVG laid down for the club by appointing managers with similar philosophies. It's quite possible Giggs might just want to forget most of what was drilled into the team for the last three years and go back to Fergie style football, which would again require adjustment time and involve more risk.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
1. There are definitely some lessons that managers learn at lower level clubs that are applicable to United. I'm sure the SAF that took over at United was a better manager than the one who took over at East Sterlingshire, for example. Managers often grow and improve as they progress and I don't think it's insane to suggest that being overpromoted initially could hinder a managers career.

If nothing else though allowing Giggs to manage at a lower level first would at least allow us to say that he isn't grossly incompetent as a manager as that would certainly be proven even at that level.

2. Giggs would certainly command respect initially due to his achievements as a player but that would quickly disappear if he wasn't performing to a high level as a manager. An outstanding career as a player ultimately counts for very little once you become a manager.

3. Fair point, we definitely don't want another extended period of transition.

At the same time, there's no guarantee that Giggs wouldn't want to implement drastic change either. Lets not forget that one of the big pluses spouted in Moyes' favour when he was appointed was that it would prove to be a smooth transition with backroom staff retained. It doesn't always turn out the way you think.

Maybe Giggs would want his own staff and a change back to what he views as "the United way". In that scenario another possession centred manager or a pragmatist like Ancelotti might prove to be less disruptive.

4. Working under these managers is a help, certainly, but he wouldn't be the first player to learn from great managers without becoming one himself. It isn't something you learn by osmosis, there are certain qualities that are either there or not. Maybe Giggs has them, maybe he doesn't. Either way, the managers he's worked under can only ever have so much of an influence.

5. Again, all the advice in the world won't help if he isn't up to the job. In fact in some ways I'd prefer a manager with the sort of confidence LVG has to follow what he believes to be right regardless of what others think. If things were going wrong then leaning on the likes of SAF for advice would certainly be quickly portrayed as Moyesesque weakness.

We'll see what happens but personally I don't see the harm in allowing him a bit of time to make his own way in the world first and then seeing what happens. If he's good enough he'll almost certainly get the job anyway so I don't really see the need to rush him into the position.

Good post though.

matt23

I'd have no problem with Giggs being our manager.. providing he was equally as employable by our rivals, ie - we didn't just give him the job because he used to play for us. How many of our current players would really give a toss about a United legend being in charge? So what exactly would he bring to the role that his potential peers wouldn't?

In an ideal World yes. I would love our manager to have a Salford accent, but he's done very little if anything, to prove he's capable of managing a large football club. Maybe have a bash at Stockprt...or City first.

ghagua

He needs to go and manage another club to see how he does. He might do well if he was given charge of United, but it is way too risky for his first position as manager.

Martin(6)Buchan

Just because your a legend as a player does not mean you can manage just look at Roy Keane !

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Not really like Guardiola.
Guardiola was already a legend at Barcelona (not to the same extent as Giggs).

However, what made him the main candidate for the job was his vision of how football should be played, and how he transferred it to the b team. He got the b team to a level where they were outplaying the proper team in a game.

He had a vision that was worth risking for, and he had proof - of sorts - that it worked. There was tangible evidence that he could make his tactics work.

He was also a strong character and had actively shown an interest in tactics over the years.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Same old arguments pro and con.

Giggsy will be a gamble if he ever gets the job. Everybody knows this.

"He needs to prove himself first." Really? To what extent? Win the league somewhere? At what level? Sod off. The "proven" element is nothing. All he can realistically prove is that he won't be a disaster at a lower-level English club - and what the feck does that actually prove?

There's something to be said, historically, for letting club "legends" (a term used for the likes of Ando these days, but it actually applies to Giggs) take charge. It has failed spectacularly for some - but it has also paid off grandly for others.

Again, a gamble. That's what it is. People insisting that he needs to manage Nondescript Rovers first don't fully appreciate the nature of this thing. The likelihood of Ryan Giggs, "successful" lower tier manager, "working himself up" to being the man to manage an all-conquering United - is nil. Not slim to nil - but nil.

Blue always red

There is a load of talk regarding giving LVG a few years to assemble his squad and implement his ideology yet the same stick is used to beat Giggs with. Any manager who joins United without prior PL experience is a gamble and if we want instant success Mourinho is your best bet and I can't see him coming to us now.

Pep isn't doing amazingly at Bayern a team who'd won the treble when he took over and Klopp looked down and out when the going got tough. Ancelotti could do a good job here, but would you really want him?

Giggs is undoubtedly an unproven quality as a manger, but my argument is the only thing a none-PL proven manager would bring over him is tried and tested man management skills. Bar that, nobody knows the Manchester United ethos better than Ryan Giggs. He's charismatic, the media like him, the fans adore him, and he's been there and done everything under the footballing sun so I'd suspect players would respect him.

For me the biggest reason I want Ryan Giggs to become manager of Manchester United is because no other person, bar Neville, would want to let down the Manchester United fans less, so if the going got tough I could guarantee he would be more than willing to take the advice of those more experienced, especially in his first few seasons.

Alas, I digress, he's British so he'd probably make a shit manager and has no idea what a tactic or a philosophy is and probably focuses too much on running during training :(

settembrini

Every Liverpool fan old enough to remember Souness loves the idea of us appointing Giggs.

Being a legendary player is a bloody awful reason to make someone a manager, it just means that if it goes wrong it's really hard to quickly bin them like we did with Moyes.

entropy

More than any of us, the board, Woodward and Lvg will be the best judges of how much Giggs has learnt in the past few years from his stint as coach and manager.It is a delicate situation with giggsy because if the board plays their cards right, he could be our manager for a really long time. But then the game is littered with legends who could never cut it as managers.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The likelihood of Ryan Giggs, "successful" lower tier manager, "working himself up" to being the man to manage an all-conquering United - is nil. Not slim to nil - but nil.
Then maybe he isn't up to managing United.

Mourinho worked his way up.

Someone worked his way up.

Klopp built a brilliant Dortmund team spending peanuts.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
No.

Would end up being worse than Moyes, especially if we give him total power. Imagine having to sack Ryan Giggs? Sponsors won't care if he's a legend if he doesn't deliver the goods.

Off the pitch Ryan does not have the charisma or natural authority needed to be United manager - and that's just to start. Just don't believe he can motivate people, not least because he's only ever known one situation at Manchester United - never had to go out and deal with other situations. Therefore, how can he be expected to manage different personalities?

Also, if he always showed leadership qualities, why was he never made United captain by Sir Alex?

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Then maybe he isn't up to managing United.

Mourinho worked his way up.

Someone worked his way up.

Klopp built a brilliant Dortmund team spending peanuts.
Even the guy who everyone cites when discussing Giggs - Guardiola - proved his methods and tactics to some extent, and worked his way up.

ChaddyP

yes. im up for this. think he will be fantastic. most importantly he will be respected.

Minimalist

"He needs to prove himself first." Really? To what extent? Win the league somewhere? At what level? Sod off. The "proven" element is nothing. All he can realistically prove is that he won't be a disaster at a lower-level English club - and what the feck does that actually prove?

There's something to be said, historically, for letting club "legends" (a term used for the likes of Ando these days, but it actually applies to Giggs) take charge. It has failed spectacularly for some - but it has also paid off grandly for others.

Again, a gamble. That's what it is. People insisting that he needs to manage Nondescript Rovers first don't fully appreciate the nature of this thing. The likelihood of Ryan Giggs, "successful" lower tier manager, "working himself up" to being the man to manage an all-conquering United - is nil. Not slim to nil - but nil.
Aside from Pep, who else?

EDIT: In recent history I mean. Don't throw Daglish at me.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Appointing Giggs as your next manager?

Do it.
When opposition fans are all for something like this you know it's a shite idea:D

Tarrou

What about proving he could be a success at a lower-level club? Or are you implying Giggs isn't capable of that?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Every Liverpool fan old enough to remember Souness loves the idea of us appointing Giggs.
For every Souness there's a King Kenny (who wasn't a great manager, all things said and done - but who certainly wasn't a terrible one either). Or a Cruyff (who was a great manager, all things said and done).

Or a Pep (who turned out an even better manager than he was a player).

It's a gamble. It's not idiotic as such, as some people claim, seemingly thinking that managing a football club requires a level of both experience and scholastic credentials that obviously aren't required. A gamble is a gamble. But then again, my impression is that many United fans these days don't like gambles.

Status
Not open for further replies.