The Athletic: Only in an alternate reality should Real Madrid be Champions League winners

ti vu

It is not the strong one that wins, the one that wins is strong.

Penalty shooting is always an uncertain affair because there is a lot of luck involved.

Possession means nothing when the opponent takes its chances.

Certain German doesn't agree to all the BS hipster German idea nowadays.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What have these poor souls gotten themselves into it. Don't they know @giorno will come beat their ass now?
What why. I'm all about love these days. Spreading the love

And laughter. Lots of laughter. I'd like to meer this guys so we can laugh together. Well, I'd be laughing at least

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
All the Athletic subscribers see this shite for what it is as well. Top comments:
How disrespectful.
Never read anything more cringe than this here. I thought only Sky cries and twerks for pool.
What is this?? Embarrassing article.
I think most agree it should have been 2-0 if not for that bizarre VAR decision.
What a ridiculous article. Thought it would only last a paragraph of that nonsense to make a point then become an actual read.
Awful article. Disrespectful and obtuse. Very poor journalism.
Sorry Joel. The reality is that Real Madrid are the 2022 Champions League winners. The alternative reality is what stats and X-whatever tell you.. Liverpool played well. But, reality is: they lost and Madrid won.
Very strange article. Can we expect one of these every time a team wins a game despite creating fewer chances?
Bloody hell- how desperate are people for Liverpool to succeed? They lost another final because they bottle it in front of goal….. again.
What the hell am I paying a subscription for?? I want to read whats actually happened in sport not what somebody wishes had happened
And people wonder why everyone hates Liverpool fans
[multipe eyeroll emojis]
The whole article is just a Liverpool fan's wet dream of how they'd fantasised the game had gone. Why the feck is this being published on a site that people pay for?

Some of the Athletic stuff is very good, but quite a lot of total shite like this is appearing. Their coverage of American sports seems a lot more consistently high quality.

big rons sovereign

Come on, he deserved it for goading them like that. In the 70s and 80s 20 lads would have taken him out with baseball bats.
If they'd had the balls to face him up then yeah ok, but those two little bitches tried to sucker punch him from behind.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I actually understand the intent of the article i think, but the execution was really poor. Came across more like a bitter, disappointed fan's fanfic, the kind of stuff you can find on RAWK, than something written by an actual journalist for a well-known pay-to-read media

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It was hardly an insane injustice, Madrid defended really well and the keeper had a decent game with one really good world clase save, Madrid also scored the one time they properly played their way through the press.

Games like this happen fairly often, nothing exceptional and Madrid could have bagged a few.

Irwin99

Madrid also messed up about 4 clear chances to go 2-0 up. I can't fathom how anyone can call the result an injustice.

It was a tactical game and the team with the better tactics won. I said the same when we were beaten by Villarreal last year in the Europa league final, their game plan was better than ours. Madrid's gameplan was better than Liverpool's, that's why they won.

big rons sovereign

Someone said they are best fans in the world.
It was most knowledgeable when I was a kid. Always the same bullshit. "Liverpool fans, they know their stuff. European nights at anfield blah blah"
Then I'd listen to my dad's stories about following United through the 60s and 70s, I wanted some of that.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Balderdash ‘’journalism’’.

People pay money to read this shameless, biased tripe?

Real Madrid scored 2 goals, but let’s not let facts get in the way of Scouse logic.

John Muller is a clown, pass it on.
Only in an alternate reality should this be considered sports journalism.

didz

That article is garbage but go on Twitter, search for him and read his posts just in the last two days.

I thought the BBC licked Liverpool's arse, John Muller has his entire head up there.

(And he said "y'all" in one post about the CL final... :nono:)
I read the article and Googled him to try and work out if he just wrote joke articles. Upon seeing that "yall" I realised that it wasn't the article that was the joke, it was John Muller.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It was a tactical game and the team with the better tactics won
The team with the better tactics lost actually. If anything, this game is proof that for all the talk of tactics, it's the individuals playing that ultimately decide the results. Tactics are just there to help

Ole'sattheWheel

The team with the better tactics lost actually. If anything, this game is proof that for all the talk of tactics, it's the individuals playing that ultimately decide the results. Tactics are just there to help
I think Madrid had a tactical game plan which worked better than Liverpool's. Everyoen knows Pool are gonna press. Your game plan was get Modric/Kroos on the ball and ping it around the pressers. Worked a charm. Hopefully more teams see this is how you neutralise Liverpool going forward

Tyrion

Madrid also messed up about 4 clear chances to go 2-0 up. I can't fathom how anyone can call the result an injustice.

It was a tactical game and the team with the better tactics won. I said the same when we were beaten by Villarreal last year in the Europa league final, their game plan was better than ours. Madrid's gameplan was better than Liverpool's, that's why they won.
The only way a result can be an injustice is if the referee screws up. In this game there was an injustice but Real still won.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I think Madrid had a tactical game plan which worked better than Liverpool's. Everyoen knows Pool are gonna press. Your game plan was get Modric/Kroos on the ball and ping it around the pressers. Worked a charm. Hopefully more teams see this is how you neutralise Liverpool going forward
A final is a very special game, it's not something you can mirror in other games. They were extremely careful, maybe too careful, they didn't play the way they're used to and that's not only because of Modric/Kroos.

Real Madrid was very tight and composed, they never panicked, that's how you win a final, by not conceding first a score when you have a chance. They didn't have many chances before the 1st goal but they could rely on an amazing keeper and a tight team. Were they the better team on paper? Obviously not. Was it pretty? No. But it's a final, and only victory matters. Fair play to them, it was in my opinion far more controlled than their previous wins this season. Livperpool let Madrid dictate the tempo of a big part of the game, that wasn't what they should have done.

Irwin99

I actually disagree. I think Liverpool on paper are a better team than this Madrid side overall but Madrid defended resolutely and survived the early Liverpool blitz, which is a constant theme in Liverpool's big games. I think there was a clear instruction to not fight fire with fire early on and keep it tight.

Your midfield grew into the game, especially in the second half and started to pass their way out of the press and exert control. Of course, your goalkeeper had a great game but you could have scored more yourself if the final pass had been a bit better in 3 or 4 situations. In my opinion the best team won.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It did not. Liverpool pinned us back all game long and created several chances, including a couple really big ones. Our gameplan didn't work as intended, unless the gameplan was "trust courtois to have the game of his life"

Idxomer

It did not. Liverpool pinned us back all game long and created several chances, including a couple really big ones. Our gameplan didn't work as intended, unless the gameplan was "trust courtois to have the game of his life"
It could have been, I mean the plan the whole run has been to trust Benzema to have the game of his life several times.

Tap

So this is what the British “free press” means. The journalists are free to print their fantasies and fetishes. At this rate, state sponsored media could be more reliable than such “free press”.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
The Liverpool love in is because half the journos support them. Off the top of my head, Dominic King, chris bascombe, Ian Doyle, Paul Joyce, Oliver Holt, James Pearce, Rory Smith, Darren Lewis of the mirror [although he also has his tongue firmly up Spurs' arse too, was a running joke about it on talksport when he used to be on],

Then you look at whose on Tv/medias and its Carra, Phil Thompson, Kelly Cates/Dalglish, Redknapp, Michael Owen, Stevie G now and again, McManaman, Danny Murphy, Souness, Beglin, Steve Nicol, John aldridge too, but he is an absolute embarrassment

Theyre everywhere...

Reyoji-Utd

Doesnt matter how well you play and dominate your opponent, at the end of the match only the score will count. Theres no 'i play so well but unfortunately i lost' trophy in any sport.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I imagine lots of journalists had to delete their 10-page wankfest articles about the Greatest Team Ever because Liverpool lost.

Their pay-by-word-count articles become worthless. Like Chinese saying, the sea of bitterness has no bound.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
I imagine lots of journalists had to delete their 10-page wankfest articles about the Greatest Team Ever because Liverpool lost.

Their pay-by-word-count articles become worthless. Like Chinese saying, the sea of bitterness has no bound.
From where did this Greatest Team Ever bullshit started though.
As if being in title race and runners up in UCL is being the greatest team ever.

I read the article and Googled him to try and work out if he just wrote joke articles. Upon seeing that "yall" I realised that it wasn't the article that was the joke, it was John Muller.
Dude calls football soccer, enough for me to realise not take him seriously.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
From where did this Greatest Team Ever bullshit started though.
As if being in title race and runners up in UCL is being the greatest team ever.
You tell me, mate. They do have good team and good season; just two games away from having greatest season. But they're also two penalties away from trophyless season.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I remember people here used to say that The Athletic is highly reliable. I would read Mr. Richard Arlison's diary than this crap.

KeanoMagicHat

Well it is kinda true, Real Madrid were the worst team from general play in 4 straight ties. But a goalkeeper is a part of a team (Courtois was outstanding) and they're clinical. It doesn't matter if you dominate if a keeper is unstoppable on the day. People don't respect goalkeepers, if the striker has a 10 performance feeding off scraps that's fine but if a goalkeeper has a 10 performance, there's something wrong (Klopp's words).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How can people sit with a straight face and say the media doesn’t have an obsession with Liverpool and Klopp? It’s embarrassing how many journalists, pundits and presenters nowadays can’t deal with facts and have to stick to their agenda even though they’re completely wrong.

OmarUnited4ever

Absolutely horrible article, very disrespectful to Madrid, heavily criticized in the comments section as well, see below: -

Football isn’t played on paper. The disrespect towards Madrid for taking their chances and defending well is frankly absurd, totally unfair and just poor journalism. The tone is attempting to be light hearted but it comes across as dismissive and condescending towards the European champions, something that should be kept on Twitter and nowhere near The Athletic.
Bloody hell- how desperate are people for Liverpool to succeed? They lost another final because they bottle it in front of goal….. again.
For all the talk of this being the best Liverpool team ever they sure as hell lose a lot when it comes to the big games.
What a ridiculous article. Thought it would only last a paragraph of that nonsense to make a point then become an actual read.
All 3 English clubs should’ve beaten Real in their own way, but each time Real found a way to overcome them which makes them deserved champions. Give the winners the respect they earned. This piece tried to be quirky and missed the mark.
This is embarrassing. I don’t sub for shit like this. Keep your fanfiction for Reddit.
I never comment, but this article is so disrespectful to Real, whatever you make think about the club and the people who run it, there’s no need to actually not give the players the respect they deserve. The press were acting like Liverpool were champions before kick off. But the real facts are Liverpool have won just 2 trophies this season (the 2 that they probably didn’t want at that) but in 3 finals they’ve not scored a goal, I think that’s the true story here not some piece of fantasy.