Film The Banshees of Inisherin

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Anybody else seen this yet on Disney+? What a brilliant film. It’s a bit dark, a bit strange, a bit sad but brilliantly funny. From the makers of In Bruges and has Brendan Gleason and Colin Farrell playing great roles.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I saw the preview earlier tonight for the first time. It looks awesome! I'll make a point of watching it when we have electricity again. Hope it wouldn't be too dated by then :(

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah we talked about it in the movie review thread. I enjoyed it.

AaronRedDevil

Hated it. It was so shite. Story was just stupid to me. Even the humour was bad. Tried to recapture that Bruges magic but it just didn't do it for me. Good acting from the cast though. But the whole thing was boring.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I enjoyed it and the parallels with the futility of the civil war. My only gripe was how ridiculously extreme Gleeson’s character went by cutting his fingers off. It just felt so strange. .

also as good as the performances were it was definitely an Englishman’s interpretation of what he thinks Ireland was rather than what Ireland actually was. The dialogue was very piss takey at times. But maybe that was the point.

RedC

Good but not great, thought Farrell was the worst of the main characters, so don't get why he wins the plaudits.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Another majestic feather in Martin McDonagh's cap.
Best popular writer/playwright out there, and I'll happily die on that hill like a flappy hat wearing psycho who has stolen someone's dog.

Tonally, all of his work should be a mess and yet he nails it every time.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I enjoyed it and the parallels with the futility of the civil war. My only gripe was how ridiculously extreme Gleeson’s character went by cutting his fingers off. It just felt so strange. .
Fully agree with this - it was the only part of the film that didn’t fit. Otherwise I really enjoyed it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

also as good as the performances were it was definitely an Englishman’s interpretation of what he thinks Ireland was rather than what Ireland actually was. The dialogue was very piss takey at times. But maybe that was the point.
I think it was extreme because Colm simply refused to believe that his own life failures were his own fault, so he backed himself into a corner where he had made such an insane threat and then had to follow through with it. He was only happy when he was creating drama between him and Padraic, shown in the pub when tells others that he likes him again after their fight. His actions are definitely extreme but he was someone who was deeply unhappy, desperate to make his mark on the world, when even deep down he knows that he never will (nobody is going to remember the song of some random islander, after all).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I just thought of the fingers thing as a fairytale or parable type threat - a fiddler cutting of his own fingers to punish someone else. In other words deliberately heightened rather than intending to be in any way realistic or true to life.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Exactly. It felt like you were watching a brothers Grimm folklore tale. Don't analyse the film as a realistic portrayal of real life.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I think it was extreme because Colm simply refused to believe that his own life failures were his own fault, so he backed himself into a corner where he had made such an insane threat and then had to follow through with it. He was only happy when he was creating drama between him and Padraic, shown in the pub when tells others that he likes him again after their fight. His actions are definitely extreme but he was someone who was deeply unhappy, desperate to make his mark on the world, when even deep down he knows that he never will (nobody is going to remember the song of some random islander, after all).
I agree with your interpretation and I think it might be even simpler than that.

In his second confessional scene, the priest makes reference to Colm’s despair which I think is an allusion to depression (something he scoffs at earlier). But it could be that his mutilation is just a very macabre and dressed up way of self harming, coupled with his denial about his life and unfairly blaming Pádraic for stopping him reach his potential.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I agree with your interpretation and I think it might be even simpler than that.

In his second confessional scene, the priest makes reference to Colm’s despair which I think is an allusion to depression (something he scoffs at earlier). But it could be that his mutilation is just a very macabre and dressed up way of self harming, coupled with his denial about his life and unfairly blaming Pádraic for stopping him reach his potential.
I think you're completely right there.

Tarrou

I enjoyed it, really loved the humour and dialogue

felt it so of lost its way a bit towards then end.. still a very enjoyable film nonetheless

decorativeed

I took it as a parable about Brexit and its impact on culture in particular. An act of self harm that to outside observers seems extreme and ridiculous.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Director. Three Billboards is the best for me.
This sums up my view. I've really enjoyed all his films but Three Billboards is definitely the best just a cut above his other films. Great filmmaker though for sure. Seven Psychopaths might actually be my favorite though.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Worst film I think I've seen in a few years although I can't recall what could be poorer and I was disappointed because everything else the two have done together has been great. Fan of both Farrell and Gleeson. Not my cup of tea. Dark, humourless and overflowing with pathos.

BlueHaze

Saw it 2 weeks ago. It had a really weird plot. Fecking hell like!

izec

Watched it yesterday in the cinema. Did not think it was great, it was ok. And funny it wasn't either, bar a couple of instances.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I like all the actors involved and McDonaghs other movies. The cinematography was beautiful. Some good dark humour. My girlfriend knows Kerry Condon and it’s surely going to do wonders for her career in Hollywood. I thought she was good in it. I just… didn’t really like it overall. I wouldn't be rushing to watch it again. I think the Americans audiences will lap it up,

lsd

The Oracle
I just thought of the fingers thing as a fairytale or parable type threat - a fiddler cutting of his own fingers to punish someone else. In other words deliberately heightened rather than intending to be in any way realistic or true to life.

I thought it was showing the two leads as each one representing a different side of the civil war but maybe that was too simple

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yeah I didn’t really get the point of the civil war thing, unless it wasn’t actually meant to be subtle in any way.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah I didn’t really get the point of the civil war thing, unless it wasn’t actually meant to be subtle in any way.
(I watched this last night) I thought their whole falling out was a metaphor for the civil war? Not subtle but it worked.

The closing line from Padraig kind of nailed down that metaphor IMO.

Was I the only one who thought Colin Farrell was basically playing Dougal from Father Ted? Once that popped into my head it was all I could see.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Great film.

Edit: It's probably his least favourite of mine, but they're all great.
I don't like his treatment of Ireland and our 'taboos', all so cliched and typically ex-pat. If it was 30 years ago maybe they'd have a place. Calvary in particular was a disgrace. Would have been a brave film in the 80's, just pointless when it was made.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't like his treatment of Ireland and our 'taboos', all so cliched and typically ex-pat. If it was 30 years ago maybe they'd have a place. Calvary in particular was a disgrace. Would have been a brave film in the 80's, just pointless when it was made.
There were scenes in this that were such a caricature of “de oirish” that it reminded me of that Tom Cruise movie (can’t remember the name)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think Calvary was one of his brother's films, along with The Guard.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I thought their whole falling out was a metaphor for the civil war?
Well yeah, if it’s as simple as “look, here’s two guys falling out, it’s like a civil war, nudge nudge” then I get it. But it doesn’t really say anything beyond that does it?