Film The Batman

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He was generally regarded as an odd choice at the time, to the point where WB received thousands of letters of complaint after he was announced.

Basically it was because of the types of films he was known for before then, which were mostly comedies. Even a lot of the film's writers and producers were against the casting, with this from one producer:

"Yeah, but he’s a comedian. I mean, what’s the poster going to say? That Mr. Mom is Batman?” I said that he’s my height, he doesn’t have the muscles; for god’s sake, he doesn’t have the square jaw of Batman.”

And one DC writer said "It’s like Rodney Dangerfield in a Bat-suit. You’ll laugh at it.” The guy who wrote the story for the film was against the casting too, as was Bob Kane who co-created Batman, etc.

And it was discussed in major outlets like the New York Times, Washington Post, etc. as well. This from a Rolling Stone article:

There were even honest-to-god pre-internet petitions:

It's an interesting example of pre-internet nerd culture at work.
I’m sure I can see @Sweet Square ’s signature there.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Must've been a real shock to the system when the producers of the Batman series saw the Tim Burton film.
'Why's Batman not dancing, where's the Kapow's and is that the Joker ?..oh my gawd'

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Hard to tell from trailers but this looks so so shit. Robert Pattinson looks like he’d struggle to open a packet of peanuts, let alone fight crime.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Hard to tell from trailers but this looks so so shit. Robert Pattinson looks like he’d struggle to open a packet of peanuts, let alone fight crime.
I'm guessing you're saying "hard to tell" because you're watching the trailer from a mile away on the world's tiniest monitor, upside down, wearing welder's goggles and mayonnaise smeared over your eyes?

And R-Patz is looking swole daaaaamn wtf you talking about?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'm guessing you're saying "hard to tell" because you're watching the trailer from a mile away on the world's tiniest monitor, upside down, wearing welder's goggles and mayonnaise smeared over your eyes?

And R-Patz is looking swole daaaaamn wtf you talking about?
You're talking to the Guy with the Iron Shins, Pidgy...

hungrywing

In a blink-and-you'll-miss it moment, they did make sure to show him with his shirt off, probably specifically to combat the "emo-Batman" knockback.

I'm praying they don't do any cliche that-'weakling'-is-actually-batman-you-dumb-mofos-lolol-now-you're-dead stuff and instead have him really relish the 'igor' persona.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
In a blink-and-you'll-miss it moment, they did make sure to show him with his shirt off, probably specifically to combat the "emo-Batman" knockback.

I'm praying they don't do any cliche that-'weakling'-is-actually-batman-you-dumb-mofos-lolol-now-you're-dead stuff and instead have him really relish the 'igor' persona.
Im responding to the shirt off scene. He looked out of shape.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Im responding to the shirt off scene. He looked out of shape.

If that's "out of shape" then that's a reflection of the unhealthily distorted body image standards people have these days, as well as the bizarre and relatively recent expectation that actors undergo ludicrous (and no doubt steroid-fueled) body transformations just so they can make-believe they're a superhero on screen.

It's a film based on comics where children and petite women regularly beat the shit out of giants twice their size. I'm sure people will be able to suspend their disbelief, he looks fine.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports

If that's "out of shape" then that's a reflection of the unhealthily distorted body image standards people have these days, as well as the bizarre and relatively recent expectation that actors undergo ludicrous (and no doubt steroid-fueled) body transformations just so they can make-believe they're a superhero on screen.

It's a film based on comics where children and petite women regularly beat the shit out of giants twice their size. I'm sure people will be able to suspend their disbelief, he looks fine.
Bear in mind that’s some very flattering lighting with all the shadows and also with a pump. I look like that the morning after a night on the town, in bright light, and I’ve barely worked out in a year. He’d be the smallest guy in most commercial gyms. There’s nothing impressive there. Not for a superhero.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Bear in mind that’s some very flattering lighting with all the shadows and also with a pump. I look like that the morning after a night on the town, in bright light, and I’ve barely worked out in a year. He’d be the smallest guy in most commercial gyms. There’s nothing impressive there. Not for a superhero.
I looked like that at my peak and I was immensely proud of it and gave myself mental high fives reminiscing how I went from being morbidly obese into THAT.

Not saying that you've turned my self esteem into ash and you're a horrible person for doing so, but...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I looked like that at my peak and I was immensely proud of it and gave myself mental high fives reminiscing how I went from being morbidly obese into THAT.

Not saying that you've turned my self esteem into ash and you're a horrible person for doing so, but...
But did you ever have you shins whacked with sticks?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports

First I call you a peasant, now I’ve called you a fatty. You’re having a bad day.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Why are they playing the imperial march theme at the end of trailer?
That's the new Batman theme music. Wasn't that impressed when it was unveiled initially but it works better over a trailer (as you'd expect). Still not entirely convinced.

Godfather

What? Apart from the roided up guys you won't find many with that shape.

Batman’s fighting style is based on oriental martial arts.. in the last trilogy it was Ninjitsu (ninja) in the comic books it’s a mix of various Far Eastern styles… that physique is actually the most realistic for someone whose kicking ass, dodging punches and needs stamina.

Having someone with a bodybuilder look would actually be wrong and unauthentic… just look at the real world all the best MMA fighters don’t look like gym bros

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Batman’s fighting style is based on oriental martial arts.. in the last trilogy it was Ninjitsu (ninja) in the comic books it’s a mix of various Far Eastern styles… that physique is actually the most realistic for someone whose kicking ass, dodging punches and needs stamina.

Having someone with a bodybuilder look would actually be wrong and unauthentic… just look at the real world all the best MMA fighters don’t look like gym bros
I really can’t be bothered to get into this much more than I have, but it seems my comment has riled up so many Batman fans in here. So really, I’ll just reiterate again what I said before. The lighting in the still image is about as flattering as you can possibly get for creating shadows on his physique, and this giving the impression of definition. He doesn’t have much mass at all, so definition is the way to go. But even with all that shadowing, he doesn’t have an impressive amount of definition at all. Meaning his body fat isn’t particularly low. It’s, let’s say, decent.

You also have to consider that any shirtless pic in a movie is happening when the actor has their best possible pump. Fair play, but if that’s post pump, the natural physique is very unimpressive.

I really wasn’t expecting him to have a bodybuilders physique, at all, but as a hardcore martial artist, you’d expect him to have a hardened physique. Which that isn’t, and none of you will ever convince me otherwise.

SirAF

Ageist
I really can’t be bothered to get into this much more than I have, but it seems my comment has riled up so many Batman fans in here. So really, I’ll just reiterate again what I said before. The lighting in the still image is about as flattering as you can possibly get for creating shadows on his physique, and this giving the impression of definition. He doesn’t have much mass at all, so definition is the way to go. But even with all that shadowing, he doesn’t have an impressive amount of definition at all. Meaning his body fat isn’t particularly low. It’s, let’s say, decent.

You also have to consider that any shirtless pic in a movie is happening when the actor has their best possible pump. Fair play, but if that’s post pump, the natural physique is very unimpressive.

I really wasn’t expecting him to have a bodybuilders physique, at all, but as a hardcore martial artist, you’d expect him to have a hardened physique. Which that isn’t, and none of you will ever convince me otherwise.
Bale was a hell of a lot more impressive in Batman Begins.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Bale was a hell of a lot more impressive in Batman Begins.
Agreed. We’ll see how the filmmaking makes up for all this, because modern techniques can make anyone look like an action star. Especially with post production work, but he definitely doesn’t look the part. Will try and reserve judgement until it comes out. But with all the takes on Batman lately, and Nolan’s trilogy being so good, it really didn’t feel this like movie was even remotely necessary.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
@simonhch on the set of his latest film "The Average Bodied Batman" just before his topless scene.