Film The Batman

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I don't quite get people commenting on the runtime. Out of context, it means nothing - there are some 1h30 films that feel like they last 10h because they're shit, and 3h+ film that feel fine because they have a story to tell and are well paced. The Batman might feel too long in the end, but it won't be because of the runtime itself, it will be because of the writing and editing if that happens.

All we know for sure is that R-Pat looks shit physically and should go on a carbs diet with simon

Jericholyte2

Normalise films being 90 minutes
Why?

If the story is gripping and can hold your attention then what does the runtime matter? I look at recent films like West Side Story or No Way Home, both over 2.5hrs but (for me) they absolutely flew by and I never once 'felt' the length of the film. If you have a compelling story with interesting characters that the audience will invest in, then take all the time that you need.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Imagine the caf was around when Once Upon a Time in America came out.
Ha, i can't quite understand complaints about 3 hour long films. As long as the film is good what does it matter? OUATIA is a great movie by the way, not watched that for a while.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Is this just going to be a huge flop?

Patterson = skinny fat beta male
Film = too long
Style = too dark

Sylar

Why?

If the story is gripping and can hold your attention then what does the runtime matter? I look at recent films like West Side Story or No Way Home, both over 2.5hrs but (for me) they absolutely flew by and I never once 'felt' the length of the film. If you have a compelling story with interesting characters that the audience will invest in, then take all the time that you need.
Agreed. Movie length means nothing, its all about story telling

meamth

I've waited 5 years for this, and you guys want this movie to be 90 minutes long??

5 years waiting, at least give me 5 hours of this masterpiece.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Random reviews.

Seems to have been generally well recieved.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Getting excellent reviews.

Ign who i wouldn't trust gave it a 10/10.

More importantly, Chris Stuckmann thought it was phenomenal and there was nothing he'd change about it.

meamth

What is not groundbreaking about detective superhero movie? Have it been done before? I'm baffled they are the so called critics.

Suv666

Getting excellent reviews.

Ign who i wouldn't trust gave it a 10/10.

More importantly, Chris Stuckmann thought it was phenomenal and there was nothing he'd change about it.
Chris Stuckmann is usually spot on.
Already booked my tickets

Yagami

Good post resistant
Looks like the same as the previous trilogy. Nothing really new. I'll probably watch it in a year or two.

Sweet Square

Peter Bradshaw gave it 3 stars and said it was too long which means it’s a terrible film but ends quicker then you think.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Bradshaw tends to be a middle of the road film reviewer but ,more often that not, I do eventually end up agreeing with him, along with Dr Kermode.

After having so many films based on this particular character over the years you do start to question where a filmmaker can go in bringing something fresh, outside of the visuals, narratively.
Plus you have to deal with the fandom in these situations.

Personally, if I had my way I'd be tempted to make Batman eventually become the antagonist in a series or do a film based on the fact he really should be in a looney bin.
Neither would please the fans. :lol:

Sweet Square

Bradshaw tends to be a middle of the road film reviewer but ,more often that not, I do eventually end up agreeing with him, along with Dr Kermode.
Bradshaw gave Only God Forgives 5 stars which is genius or pure madness. I don't really mind him but as you said very middle of the road.

I like listening to Kermode talk about film history but his reviews tend to be him talking about how the film is like all these others films. He will say x new modern horror movie has a bit of Last House On The Left, mixed in with in 90's Wes Carven but if you've never seen Last House or Wes Carven run in the 90's it's a completely useless review. Basically his correct complaint about Tarantino(Tarantino nerds out too much in his films and makes everything drag on too long)could be applied to his own reviews. Still I enjoy his recent Godfather review.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I guess it depends on your personal preference, his and mine seem to match usually.
Same. I just think he's a great reviewer who provides a well thought out breakdown of the film and it's pros and cons. He's also very passionate about film and filmmaking which is a positive. Usually watch him and Jeremy Jahs whose reviews are a lot lighter and more fun.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bradshaw gave Only God Forgives 5 stars which is genius or pure madness. I don't really mind him but as you said very middle of the road.

I like listening to Kermode talk about film history but his reviews tend to be him talking about how the film is like all these others films. He will say x new modern horror movie has a bit of Last House On The Left, mixed in with in 90's Wes Carven but if you've never seen Last House or Wes Carven run in the 90's it's a completely useless review. Basically his correct complaint about Tarantino(Tarantino nerds out too much in his films and makes everything drag on too long)could be applied to his own reviews. Still I enjoy his recent Godfather review.
Conversely, he also has an irritating habit of telling you too much about the film if you have seen the other films he references.

"I won't give away too much, but the film echoes films like Fight Club and [film with the exact same twist as fight club]". Oh great, I wonder what happens.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'd love to see it but can't be bothered by the crowds on the first week. I'll wait it out for 45 days and stream on HBO Max.

Sweet Square

Conversely, he also has an irritating habit of telling you too much about the film if you have seen the other films he references.

"I won't give away too much, but the film echoes films like Fight Club and [film with the exact same twist as fight club]". Oh great, I wonder what happens.
:lol:

very true.