Television The Bear

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It’s easily the best show on tv now that Succession has ended. Though Severence really needs to hurry up with season two.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I feel like this is the best/most advertised show that a lot of people I know seem to have either a) not watched or B) never even heard of.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
What a show, we watched both seasons within the week.

brilliant TV.

not sure a show has ever felt so real

Massive Spanner

On reflection I think Ritchie’s episode is one of my favourite tv episodes ever.

in fact the Xmas episode and Marcus episode also aren’t too far off. Both wonderful also.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Finally caught up and finished it the other day. Fantastic performances, fantastic storytelling...even if it did bring up trauma from the worst job I've ever had: a server at an American fast-casual restaurant.

Being a roughneck in the oilfield had nothing on serving an ungrateful general public at Chilis and hearing that damned god-forsaken baby-back ribs song a 100 times a day.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
On reflection I think Ritchie’s episode is one of my favourite tv episodes ever.

in fact the Xmas episode and Marcus episode also aren’t too far off. Both wonderful also.
There's a few really reaaaaally good ones to pick from as "the best", and they'd rank pretty high in my all time favourite TV episodes.

Massive Spanner

There's a few really reaaaaally good ones to pick from as "the best", and they'd rank pretty high in my all time favourite TV episodes.
Yeah for sure. Though I found the finale a wee bit contrived personally, especially Carmie getting locked in the fridge and Claire walking in at the worst possible moment, just didn’t really fit the rest of the show.

I just found Ritchie’s arc so satisfying. I found him to be the most difficult character to like in season one and by the end of episode seven I just wanted to give him a big hug. It was so beautiful, and a lovely cameo by Coleman too.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Yeah for sure. Though I found the finale a wee bit contrived personally, especially Carmie getting locked in the fridge and Claire walking in at the worst possible moment, just didn’t really fit the rest of the show.

I just found Ritchie’s arc so satisfying. I found him to be the most difficult character to like in season one and by the end of episode seven I just wanted to give him a big hug. It was so beautiful, and a lovely cameo by Coleman too.
Agree on Ritchie, his arc over the 2 seasons was very well thought out, it worked super well. And I get your point on the spoilered part, it didn't particularly bother me in the moment but I can see why it would. I just find it so so good overall that I can't find much to nitpick about it.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

Claire in general was the weakest element of the whole season for me. She didn't have much depth and only really seemed to exist in order to show how hard Carmy finds 'normal' life. Hopefully she gets some agency in season 3. And I agree about the walk in fridge, was the only time the writing didn't feel real and organic.

Selbourne

The Bear has been kinda hit or miss with me but the second half of season 2 has won me over big time. Episode 4 was great and 6 and 7 are masterpieces. Made me do a complete 180 on Richie

Nickosaur

Marcus and Richie's focus episodes were so touching.

Richie especially, as I already loved Marcus. But I did a complete 180 on Richie.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I preferred the Marcus episode, for some small touches here and there (the friend goodbye at the airport, the thing with his mom, the conversations with Will Poulter...) but Ritchie's episode is just as good and I have to agree that the writing is quite simply genius to have managed to create such a U turn for a character that was mostly irritating until then. Top notch stuff.

jem

I seem to be the only person who is thoroughly underwhelmed by this second season (loved the first one.) Found the Richie/forks episode annoyingly earnest and trying way too hard to be touching. The Xmas episode was pretty good but again it screamed ‘look at the cameos we managed to procure for this episode,’ and Jamie Lee Curtis rivalled Scent-of-a-Woman era Pacino in her histrionics.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I seem to be the only person who is thoroughly underwhelmed by this second season (loved the first one.) Found the Richie/forks episode annoyingly earnest and trying way too hard to be touching. The Xmas episode was pretty good but again it screamed ‘look at the cameos we managed to procure for this episode,’ and Jamie Lee Curtis rivalled Scent-of-a-Woman era Pacino in her histrionics.
It's obvioulsy all subjective, but the bolded part couldn't be further from my impression of this show in general - it feels entirely organic and well done, and never trying to force things down your throat, which is what makes it particularly hard hitting in its emotional moments.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I liked this season probably a little better than the first, but I wasn't too keen on the Xmas episode - it was supposed to feel real but I found all the cameos distracting and the chaos felt forced to me.

Spoony

The People's President
It's obvioulsy all subjective, but the bolded part couldn't be further from my impression of this show in general - it feels entirely organic and well done, and never trying to force things down your throat, which is what makes it particularly hard hitting in its emotional moments.
Yes.

jem

Yeah it's strange - that's how I felt about the first season; the second (so far - still have 3 episodes left) not so much. I do feel the Copenhagen episode was very well-done, but that's been the only standout for me (parts of the Christmas episode as well - hard to go wrong with Bob Odenkirk, but again all a bit too histrionic.) Music also feels a bit too on-point.

jem

It does lay it on a bit thick. Not just the emotional stuff. The comedy can be pretty broad too. But you don’t really mind because the characters are so well written.
Mostly agree - I mean I'll definitely be finishing it, and if there is a 3rd season, I'll definitely be watching it.

Castia

The Christmas dinner scene is just incredible

What a show

jem

What do you mean by this?
Emotional and/or adrenaline-filled moment - cue emotional/surging music. Again, I should point out that I'm probably being overly-critical partly due to the fact that I really loved the first season, so feel that much more underwhelmed by the second. The episode in the first season were everything goes wrong at the restaurant, the one filmed as one continuous take was genius and felt completely organic. I don't feel there's been anything in this season that's matched that, despite the Christmas episode so clearly striving to do so.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
S2 is off to a decent start, I feel there is more of a storyline as compared to S1 where it seemed there was endless shouting between cousin and carmey and non-stop musical montages.

I have to say though, the episode lengths are too short. Just watched S2 EP 3 and it was 25mins in total, most of which was sydney trying different foods, too many shots of downtown Chicago and yet another endless musical montage. They could've easily covered sydney's bit in 2 mins. And why were syd and carmy spitting out their foods? They're professional chefs, surely they would be tasting as they're cooking? I think I just hate Syndney's character so an episode dedicated to her I didn't enjoy :lol:

Hoping it gets better as the reviews for S2 are really good.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
S2 is off to a decent start, I feel there is more of a storyline as compared to S1 where it seemed there was endless shouting between cousin and carmey and non-stop musical montages.

I have to say though, the episode lengths are too short. Just watched S2 EP 3 and it was 25mins in total, most of which was sydney trying different foods, too many shots of downtown Chicago and yet another endless musical montage. They could've easily covered sydney's bit in 2 mins. And why were syd and carmy spitting out their foods? They're professional chefs, surely they would be tasting as they're cooking? I think I just hate Syndney's character so an episode dedicated to her I didn't enjoy :lol:

As much as I could do with more of a Bear fix, I don't think this is true. I feel the short length of the episodes (with an exception) and the tightness of the editing works very well in creating the overall tension palpable throughout the show.

HookedOnAPhelan

Episodes 6 and 7 were phenomenal, with the latter being my favorite. All the cameos in the Christmas episode was slightly distracting at first, but I thought they all ended up blending brilliantly into their characters. Jamie Lee Curtis was so, so good in both episode 6 and her scene in episode 10.

Heardy

Pleased to see this getting some love - I think it’s a great show.

Interesting to see people found the cameos in the Christmas episode distracting, I thought they played their parts well and the tension in the dinner scene was incredibly done. Finished the episode stressed to hell, which was obviously the point.

Has a third season been confirmed? I hope so, but couldn’t find anything…

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Pleased to see this getting some love - I think it’s a great show.

Interesting to see people found the cameos in the Christmas episode distracting, I thought they played their parts well
and the tension in the dinner scene was incredibly done. Finished the episode stressed to hell, which was obviously the point.

Has a third season been confirmed? I hope so, but couldn’t find anything…
Agree with you, there was some criticism of Bob Odenkirk that I just can't understand - he was so good in it. Jon Bernthal has also been delightful in the few appearances he's made, feels incredibly organic.

Oldyella

Incredible show. Favourite thing around atm for me.

Episodes 6 and 7 were brilliant. The sense of dread and tension that just build through episode 6 was so good. And then a total pivot to a really uplifting episode 7 about possibly the most unlikeable character in the show.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Just watched the xmas episode. HOLY feckING SHITE....what an episode!! I felt like I had to lie down after watching that :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Yeah, that bothered me too. Anyone with the most basic grasp of cooking won’t feck up a dish to the grasping at throat/spitting it out stage, never mind a professional chef. At worst they’ll be thinking they got the balance of spicing/seasoning wrong or the flavour combinations don’t work. Literally gagging on a dish they’ve just cooked is so weird and over the top. And then it happens multiple times…

That’s been a general theme of the show to me. Someone said earlier how real it seems. I think the opposite. They actually lay everything on so thick it’s almost a bit much. A lot of the comedy is bordering on slapstick and a lot of the emotional stuff is in your face, dialled up to 11. It still works though. Because the characters are great so you don’t mind suspending disbelief when it all gets a bit hammy (no pun intended)