Television The Bear

Red Star One

Not reading much of the thread as I don’t want spoilers but wow, episode 4 is just excellent, for me really a masterpiece and so moving.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The Christmas episode had me stressed. Felt like I’d been there myself. Jamie Lee Curtis killed it.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I think they fluffed their lines for the season finale -
a bit rushed and didn't ring completely with the characters evolution over time. Then again, it also was about the stress of the moment and how it makes people react in different ways so.

Very good season - 8/10 while the first was a 9/10 for me.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Just watched episode 4 of season 2, the one where Marcus goes to Copenhagen to work with Will Poulter (who is wonderful in this short guest appearance), it's a perfect representation of why this show is so incredibly good. Just through the subject matter at hand (food, and Marcus perfectioning his techniques), you get so much depth for all characters involved - the way his friend brings him to the airport, his exchanges with Chef Luca, his phone call to Sydney, the pictures he takes for his unconscious mom... Every character is more fleshed out than in so many other shows. It reminds me of The Wire or Mad Men in its attention to character building, it's so wonderfully well done.

It's truly becoming one of my favourite shows.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Just watched episode 4 of season 2, the one where Marcus goes to Copenhagen to work with Will Poulter (who is wonderful in this short guest appearance), it's a perfect representation of why this show is so incredibly good. Just through the subject matter at hand (food, and Marcus perfectioning his techniques), you get so much depth for all characters involved - the way his friend brings him to the airport, his exchanges with Chef Luca, his phone call to Sydney, the pictures he takes for his unconscious mom... Every character is more fleshed out than in so many other shows. It reminds me of The Wire or Mad Men in its attention to character building, it's so wonderfully well done.

It's truly becoming one of my favourite shows.
Will Poulter and indeed all the other special guest casts are excellent.

Richies episode, which I think is next, was probably my favourite of the season.

Red_Aaron

Just finished it now and the level to which I am gutted there's none more to watch speaks to just how brilliant it is. Loved every second of it, I miss it already

onemanarmy

Apparently it isn't out in Belgium for another few weeks. Crap!!!!

The first season was one of the best stuff I've ever seen.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I think they fluffed their lines for the season finale -
a bit rushed and didn't ring completely with the characters evolution over time. Then again, it also was about the stress of the moment and how it makes people react in different ways so.

Very good season - 8/10 while the first was a 9/10 for me.
Overall I rate season 2 higher than the first. I know most find the bear's arc with GF to be a major negative for season 2 but I was mostly fine with it. It was not the season highlight but did not bring it down either.

Red Star One

I never enjoyed majority of acclaimed TV shows and there's not many series I have finished - the bear has it all for me and it's probably the best piece of TV work I've seen in years.

As brought up here - attention to detail in some character creation is splendid, Marcus' episode was just excellent visually and in terms of dialogues, the exchange over dough with Luca was top notch, Richie's episode was so uplifting and the redemption arc was only a hair too sweet, Christmas episode kept me on my toes until the last second.
As pointed out, weakest point is the Carmy-Claire dynamics and the fact the role of Claire was a bit badly written I guess, very one-dimensional and boring, that actress stunning beautiful though.
Also I think Sydney's character was a little bit more interesting in season one, in season two it felt like they could've added a little bit more depth beyond her relationship with father.
Supporting characters (Donna, Luca, Mickey) were really 10/10 this season. Giant kudos to Jamie Lee Curtis for a memorable and very authentic performance.
I was afraid the final episode will be more anticlimactic but it was not so bad, even if Carmy locked in the fridge made little sense to me and was a bit of lazy writing, but at least it allowed that exchange with Richie he had.
One thing my missus noticed, and she also like the show although not as much as me, is that it feels as if it was primarily written for male audience and playing on mainly male archetypes - perhaps she's right on this.

wr8_utd

:'(
I really like Marcus as a character (he's just so gentle and calm) and I'm very glad they dedicated an entire episode to him. Exceptional episode of television. I love how characters who pop in even for an episode are top notch and just fit in so seamlessly.

Last edited:

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I feel the exact opposite about Sydney. Thoroughly unlikeable character, should've been fired on the spot after stabbing a co-worker, if not worse. Hang-dog expression and just all round joy-killer.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Watched ep 7 last night. So good. This show is wonderful.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I feel the exact opposite about Sydney. Thoroughly unlikeable character, should've been fired on the spot after stabbing a co-worker, if not worse. Hang-dog expression and just all round joy-killer.
Agree, such a detestable character.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Matty Matheson has been my second favourite Chef to watch (behind the late great Bourdain) for several years now. I know he plays the plumber in this show and is a producer, so I've got to give it a watch.

wr8_utd

Overall I rate season 2 higher than the first. I know most find the bear's arc with GF to be a major negative for season 2 but I was mostly fine with it. It was not the season highlight but did not bring it down either.
I personally did not find the Carmy-Claire arc to be annoying tbh. Maybe it's because of watching the same character (Carmy) all those seasons in Shameless that made me want to root for him a little bit more and have something go well for him. Over those 7-8 odd seasons of Shameless and these two seasons of Bear, it just feels the guy can't win. Therefore, the Finale did make me a little sad for him. I also don't think it was a bad idea to bring the Claire factor into the show. I thought they handled the girlfriend situation making him lose a little bit of focus storyline well through the season.

Brophs

The One and Only
A genuinely extraordinary two seasons of tv.

wr8_utd

Episodes 4, 6, 7 and even the finale are just super television! They'd standalone be among the best episodes of the last few years.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Watched 6 and 7 tonight. Blown away. Absolute one two punch of anxiety inducing tension building followed by such sweet heart and soul. Beautiful show from top to bottom. Can see why so many are queuing up to appear on it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just finished S2. I adore this show.

Richie’s arc is so enjoyable.

Loon

:lol:
If anyone is interested, creator Christopher Storer had a great podcast on Brian Koppelman's "The Moment" during season one.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What a show.

Episode 7 was one of the most beautiful and inspiring bits of television I've seen in ages