The Biden Presidency

Laurencio

Another gaffe."The president of Mexico, Sisi". Everything else he said was fine, but come on, stay away from silly gaffes.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I absolutely dread the prospect of another Trump presidency and will take Haley any day over him or Biden at this pt - despite my serious concerns about some of the stances Haley has taken. But Dems need to decide now whether they switch candidates. Maybe I trust too much that people would actually appreciate it/respect that if played right. Foreign money will flow freely into this election to make sure every person in this country sees replays of these gaffes.

Trump arguably has just as many if not more - but he s always been that way and can play it off as just being a dumb box of rocks instead of age. The same double standard in a way that made W "charming".

Last edited:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I absolutely dread the prospect of another Trump presidency and will take Haley any day over him or Biden at this pt - despite my serious concerns about some of the stances Haley has taken. But Dems need to decide now whether they switch candidates. Maybe I trust too much that people would actually appreciate it/respect that if played right. Foreign money will flow freely into this election to make sure every person in this country sees replays of these gaffes.

Trump arguably has just as many if not more - but he s always been that way and can play it off as just being a dumb box of rocks instead of age.
What can "dems" do though? Its up to Biden to decide if he wants to step down, and he isn't gonna, unfortunately.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Don't quite get why he felt the need to go out to defend himself, the investigation was already called of, should just have made a written statement and moved on.

This made it worse.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Because I’d like to see someone with a chance of beating Trump. And I feel more and more that Biden is now past it. Time to let him out to pasture.
Why doesn't Biden have a chance? Its not like Trump is some sort of unbeatable candidate himself.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I suppose I mean a better chance. Sure Biden may win but I’d rather someone stronger that can take Trump on and destroy him.

RedDevilQuebecois

I suppose I mean a better chance. Sure Biden may win but I’d rather someone stronger that can take Trump on and destroy him.
That I can agree with. The only ways that Trumpism can stopped is either through a conviction against Trump or a political defeat that is so severe that Trump will get ditched.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I too would prefer Biden to step down, and go with a stronger candidate.

Having said that, i don't think anyone can win in a landslide in this day and age, the partisan divide and the electoral college, makes that impossible.

I think even with, say, Newsom vs Trump, even if has been convicted of crimes, you would see the same electoral map as 2020, plus North Carolina, thats about it.

Thats the extent to which "destroying" Trump is possible, now, thats obviously better than rolling the dice with Biden, just saying the electorate isn't all that flexible.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
That I can agree with. The only ways that Trumpism can stopped is either through a conviction against Trump or a political defeat that is so severe that Trump will get ditched.
Trumpism remains until Trump dies, it doesnt matter how badly he loses if the people supporting him flat out denies reality.

Also, electoral college makes a landslide victory impossible, even if it is one in the popular vote.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Forget Trump for a minute. Is there anyone here who honestly thinks or feels Biden is fit enough to be President right now?

Does anyone think if he did get re-elected he would last 5 more years?

It's one of, if not the most important and powerful positions to hold in world government and with that comes huge responsibilities at home and.for the rest of the world.

Just stopping Trump isn't a good enough reason anymore.

I'd take Jin Carey and Jeff Daniels over those two.

Dr. StrangeHate

Forget Trump for a minute. Is there anyone here who honestly thinks or feels Biden is fit enough to be President right now?

It's one of, if not the most important and powerful positions to hold in world government and with that comes huge responsibilities at home and.for the rest of the world.

Jim Carrey as President would be fantastic. Everyone on the planet would take that. Jim doing other president and Matthew McConaughey impressions would make the world a better place.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Who else is there on the left that could beat Trump currently? That is reason enough in itself. It's unfortunate that we have two cognitively addled choices for the office, but here we are.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Biden could die and people would say we need to do Weekend at Bernie's shenanigans just to beat Trump.

Mike Smalling

Why not? If the options are Biden and Trump, I’d take Biden until he croaks and then Harris can finish his term.
The presidency is as much about the people they put in place, and Trump would fill his cabinet with absolute psychos like last time.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Because if that's the only goal then the Dems are as fecked as the Republicans. Knowingly supporting a very sick old man to stop another sick old man isn't where the so called leader of the free world should be.

Harris who btw? She's been invisible for the last 5 years.

Cal?

CR7 fan

The US has actually done very well during the Biden years, the economy is better than ever, he's brought the allies closer than ever, he's done a few things to combat climate change.

I think he's been an excellent president.

Mike Smalling

Because if that's the only goal then the Dems are as fecked as the Republicans. Knowingly supporting a very sick old man to stop another sick old man isn't where the so called leader of the free world should be.

Harris who btw? She's been invisible for the last 5 years.
It's not where it should be, but it's where it is. Stopping Trump from setting back efforts on climate change, enabling Russia in their expansionary wars, securing a conservative supreme court for decades, etc. is still a worthwhile thing, whether the candidate is Biden or someone else.

Mike Smalling

That already happened. It's done.
No, not really. Thomas and Alito will probably step back within the next 5-10 years, but there is credible speculation that they would do so during Trump's term if he wins. This is what Ruth Bader Ginsburg should have done. Only then would it be secured conservative for decades, because it would mean five Trump appointed judges in their 50's.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
No, not really. Thomas and Alito will probably step back within the next 5-10 years, but there is credible speculation that they would do so during Trump's term if he wins. This is what Ruth Bader Ginsburg should have done. Only then would it be secured conservative for decades, because it would mean five Trump appointed judges in their 50's.
It is exceedingly rare for a political party in the U.S. to hold the presidency for longer than 8 years. If Biden is re-elected he will have held it for 8 years and the odds of a Republican president following him will be very high. Therefore, if Thomas and Alito are retiring in 5-10 years, they will likely do so under a Republican president.

It's secured, it's done. It's over.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The US has actually done very well during the Biden years, the economy is better than ever, he's brought the allies closer than ever, he's done a few things to combat climate change.

I think he's been an excellent president.
That's because you're looking at what he's achieved as President, not what social media is pushing to the top of the zeitgeist. You crazy person.

Mike Smalling

It is exceedingly rare for a political party in the U.S. to hold the presidency for longer than 8 years. If Biden is re-elected he will have held it for 8 years and the odds of a Republican president following him will be very high. Therefore, if Thomas and Alito are retiring in 5-10 years, they will likely do so under a Republican president.

It's secured, it's done. It's over.
You can't possibly know how the political landscape will look for the presidential elections of 2028 and 2032. Who is to say that a Democrat can't win in 2028 even if Biden is reelected? You don't have to go further back than Reagan and H.W. to have three consecutive terms from the same party. In addition, there is the chance that they would each have to step back sooner - they will turn 80 and 78 respectively during the next presidential term.

Also, something being the most likely outcome is not the same thing as being guaranteed. But a Trump win would give them a window to get it locked down, and I believe they would take it. Thomas has already shown he is not opposed to accepting bribes, so he could definitely be influenced.

Cal?

CR7 fan
That's because you're looking at what he's achieved as President, not what social media is pushing to the top of the zeitgeist. You crazy person.
My bad, should just let FB & X tell me how he's doing.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
You can't possibly know how the political landscape will look for the presidential elections of 2028 and 2032. Who is to say that a Democrat can't win in 2028 even if Biden is reelected? You don't have to go further back than Reagan and H.W. to have three consecutive terms from the same party. In addition, there is the chance that they would each have to step back sooner - they will turn 80 and 78 respectively during the next presidential term.
This is the only time it has happened since Truman followed Roosevelt. Hence my point that it is "exceedingly rare."

Then there is the fact that you need presidency and senate to confirm, that Sotomayor is old (and to a lesser extent Kagan).

There is no realistic path to regain the Supreme Court through 'normal' behavior. You'd need two of Alito, Thomas, and Roberts to drop dead.

Mike Smalling

This is the only time it has happened since Truman followed Roosevelt. Hence my point that it is "exceedingly rare."

Then there is the fact that you need presidency and senate to confirm, that Sotomayor is old (and to a lesser extent Kagan).

There is no realistic path to regain the Supreme Court through 'normal' behavior. You'd need two of Alito, Thomas, and Roberts to drop dead.
Exceedingly rare is just pushing it, in my opinion. It can happen, as it has happened before. You could even argue it happened in 2000 as well, but that's a whole other story.

We can talk scenarios and possibilities until the cows come home, but the bottom line is that a Democratic president is more likely to lead to a liberal supreme court than a Republican one. And it is often forgotton, that the president doesn't just appoint supreme court justices, but also judges for other federal courts that hold a lot of power. I'd still count it among the reasons to vote Biden over Trump, when it comes down to that.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Who else is there on the left that could beat Trump currently? That is reason enough in itself. It's unfortunate that we have two cognitively addled choices for the office, but here we are.
Biden isn't going to win if he keeps having "memory lapses", his credibility is going out the window. There's a limit to anything but Trump.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
In any case, dems won't get any Supreme Court picks without the senate, and they will lose it in this election, and could take multiple election cycles to get it back.

The house and presidency is much more likely won than the senate.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Biden isn't going to win if he keeps having "memory lapses", his credibility is going out the window. There's a limit to anything but Trump.
Well, there's only two viable candidates in the general so 'anyone but Trump' will always be in play. Thankfully Trump is helping the situation with his gaffes.