The Biden Presidency

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
If this is a matter of transparency that bothers anyone, Biden can also come out and say some or all of the following things:

• I'm in the process of restraining military aid to Israel by sending defensive weapons (radar, anti-missile countermeasures, etc.) only, but that doesn't get rid of the offensive weapons that Israel already has had for years or even produces domestically.
Sort of acceptable

• Data given from Israel contain their share of falsehoods, but so is data given by Hamas. Short of sending my own people on the ground to have a clearer idea about numbers and facts, who can give me more accurate reports? Please stand up.
When Israel explicitly forbids by law any foreign reporting, and kill gazans journalists. He would need to ask Israel to stand up to reinstate free press and not coerce it

• Israel are doing a lot of things wrong in their approach to this conflict, but there are a number of Middle Eastern governments who want Hamas to be defeated no matter what and who are enabling Netanyahu to get the (dirty) job done.
Whataboutism much?

• The rest of the Middle East will do absolutely next to nothing for Palestinians while I'm making efforts to get more aid into Gaza.
If you consider next to nothing that these arab countries are giving refuge to 4 million of palestinians (more than palestinians itself), build hospitals, universities and schools among other infrastructure that now are destroyed, then you have a problem. Specially when this problem is created by Israel

• For as long as Hamas still thrives, I have seen nothing to suggest that a Palestinian statehood would improve the situation as there is still an official state of civil war between Hamas and the PA. That part is still unresolved as a matter of Palestinian affairs and a major obstacle to statehood at this moment in time.
Hamas exists since the 80s, this is a problem since the 40s and Israel never had any intention on the two state solution since their prime minister Ben Gurion in his own words. The problem is Israel

• My position also has to consider what will come beyond Netanyahu's time in power. Ditching an ally on a whim is bad geopolitics. Please ask some of Russia's longstanding allies how they feel after they saw Russia abandoning Armenia completely in the midst of their own local conflict.
Pushing them not to commit genocide or well...not being part of commiting genocide is not ditching an ally. If my friend would be raping a girl, believe me that I will bit the shit out of him, I would call the police and I would testify against him

Russia, another whataboutism much.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
A propaganda Twitter account, pathetic.

Do better. And I want actual numbers.
You really need to calm down. You've come in here hot calling people "bullshit" and aggressively trying to shut poeple down.

You asked a question, I provided an answer. It's fine if you didn't like the answer but throwing a tantrum and making demands isn't very productive.

Pintu

Now I have had enough with this bullshit.

You're totally obsessed. You are so focused on one thing that you can't even think straight and see the bigger picture at all. Well, I have news for you: hysterical people do not belong in positions where tough decisions have to be taken and I'm happy it stays that way.

If Hamas are the ones choosing scorched earth policy while in position of strategic defeat, what do you want to happen? The last time that a warring faction chose that path until the end and regardless of how many of their own civilians would die in the process of an inevitable defeat, it was Nazi Germany. I have not any seen a severely diminished belligerent faction choosing scorched earth instead of a surrender in any conflict post-1945. Don't your even dare throwing Ukraine in the discussion because they are not near a state of inevtiable defeat in their own conflict. Even if most governments use nice words to look nice to Palestinian civilians, the truth of the matter is that they all want Hamas to die and with good reason. Netanyahu will be ousted through the legal pathways in Israel, but the war will not stop as the only change that would happen under a new Israeli PM is a change of tactics. Unless and until Hamas are finished or surrender, that's the reality we are in.

And what the hell does all of this even have to do with Joe Biden anyway? What do you expect him to do? Support Netanyahu's enemies to stage a coup? Violate more international laws by doing something as egregious as what Putin does whenever an ally is not following the path that he wants? Unless you want POTUS to become some kind of dictator who show total disregard for international laws, you better think twice about what you want because Trump and the Republicans have been very transparent about how they handle things.
To summarise your ”arguments”:

1: Hamas something Hamas…
2: Genocide is ok because Israel pretends Genocide is the only way to defeat Hamas.
3. Biden is doing good in supporting this Genocide because there is no middle ground between real pressure on Netanyahu and staging a coup.
4. Arab regimes wants Hamas gone, so they also support Genocide. This is supposed to prove Genocide is good.. (because Biden works for those regimes ?)
5. Republicans and Trump would be much worse. (Something totally unrelated)..

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Trump? Super powers, he can become a dictator and impose his will on everyone.

Biden? Hands tied, poor guy can't do what he wants because of all the checks and balances.

I don't like this double standard.
This perfectly skewers much of the defense for Biden with regards to the Palestinian protests and his cracking down on civil liberties.

I think there is a legitimate argument that says that Trump is such a violent threat that one should vote for Biden at the end of the year. I don't begrudge anyone making that argument - even as I have doubts about the strength of it. However it seems to me that there are attempts to smother any and all valid criticism of Biden and his administration in this fear mongering rhetoric.

I reject the idea that, more than 6 months out from the election, we should all be covering up for Biden's violence and mumming all dissent in order to help him get elected. If the election was this afternoon then ok maybe you could argue that we should put aside the many grievances, in order to vote the lesser evil, but doing it from now, and all the way up till the election feels so dangerous. That is no democracy and it's not decency.

RedDevilQuebecois

Quality control
To summarise your ”arguments”:

1: Hamas something Hamas…
2: Genocide is ok because Israel pretends Genocide is the only way to defeat Hamas.
3. Biden is doing good in supporting this Genocide because there is no middle ground between real pressure on Netanyahu and staging a coup.
4. Arab regimes wants Hamas gone, so they also support Genocide. This is supposed to prove Genocide is good.. (because Biden works for those regimes ?)
5. Republicans and Trump would be much worse. (Something totally unrelated)..
For the 4,999,999th time, all of those talks about genocide are ridiculous. You and many people in this thread have drunk the kool aid.

Should Biden win this upcoming election, I look forward to rub it right into many people's faces here.

Good night, sir.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
If you vote for Biden you support genocide. Full Stop

If don't vote or vote for Trump: you are white supremacist racist, you don't believe in women's rights, you hate immigrants and minorities, you don't care about the climate, you want to live under fascism, you are a neo-liberal hack, yada, yada, yada...and you support genocide. Full Stop.

I think I am just going to kill myself. There is no one who is Righteous as per my definition and I can't live in a world not ruled by one. Adios Amigos! See you in heaven.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
This perfectly skewers much of the defense for Biden with regards to the Palestinian protests and his cracking down on civil liberties.

I think there is a legitimate argument that says that Trump is such a violent threat that one should vote for Biden at the end of the year. I don't begrudge anyone making that argument - even as I have doubts about the strength of it. However it seems to me that there are attempts to smother any and all valid criticism of Biden and his administration in this fear mongering rhetoric.

I reject the idea that, more than 6 months out from the election, we should all be covering up for Biden's violence and mumming all dissent in order to help him get elected. If the election was this afternoon then ok maybe you could argue that we should put aside the many grievances, in order to vote the lesser evil, but doing it from now, and all the way up till the election feels so dangerous. That is no democracy and it's not decency.
If you are talking about some of the establishment or twitter postings then the bold might be fair. But if you're talking about this and the 2024 election thread, this is a strawman. I haven't seen anyone here doing what you claim, people are just pushing back on the obvious WUMMING of "if you vote for Biden you support genocide" which is also dangerous and also not decent and not posting in good faith.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
If you are talking about some of the establishment or twitter postings then the bold might be fair. But if you're talking about this and the 2024 election thread, this is a strawman. I haven't seen anyone here doing what you claim, people are just pushing back on the obvious WUMMING of "if you vote for Biden you support genocide" which is also dangerous and also not decent and not posting in good faith.
As far as I can tell the origin of 'if you vote for Biden you support genocide' here is a retort to the oft-repeated claim that if you don't support Biden you support immigrants being thrown into a meat grinder. Those posts have been made plenty of times here.

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
For the 4,999,999th time, all of those talks about genocide are ridiculous. You and many people in this thread have drunk the kool aid.

Should Biden win this upcoming election, I look forward to rub it right into many people's faces here.
Four more years of Joe Biden's decrepit brain leaking out of his asshole and running down his leg in real time as his administration of incompetents continues squandering the reputation of this worthless empire. What a win.

They better be working on making a Super Obama in a lab somewhere.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
While I do believe that Trump would be even worse than Biden, also in regards to Palestine, I absolutely understand those, who feel they can’t vote for him with a good conscience. I would vote for him, because I do believe the situation might be a tiny bit better this way. Domestically quite much better. But I don’t blame anyone who won’t. It’s a horrible choice for the voters.
I also believe this might be the reasons the dems lose. And if it happens this way, it’s their fault and no one else’s.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Four more years of Joe Biden's decrepit brain leaking out of his asshole and running down his leg in real time as his administration of incompetents continues squandering the reputation of this worthless empire. What a win.

They better be working on making a Super Obama in a lab somewhere.
If that happens the US won't even need drones to kill brown people anymore. They could just send out Super Obama to kill them with his laser eyes

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
While I do believe that Trump would be even worse than Biden, also in regards to Palestine, I absolutely understand those, who feel they can’t vote for him with a good conscience. I would vote for him, because I do believe the situation might be a tiny bit better this way. Domestically quite much better. But I don’t blame anyone who won’t. It’s a horrible choice for the voters.
I also believe this might be the reasons the dems lose. And if it happens this way, it’s their fault and no one else’s.
The two choices: terrible, disgraceful, disgusting. Two horrible geriatrics going against each other in a country which claims to be the "greatest on the planet" is not a sight for the sore eyes.

However, there is one side that wants to play on the cultural issues and wants authoritarianism; we have already seen a trailer of which in action. There is this other side, also abhorrent, but you can still coerce them into doing the right thing/move them in the right direction. They have kept shamelessly quite on certain things but also have done quite good work on other issues. There is hope that you can make them act on the things they have been shamelessly quite on so far. Still, it's the voters choice. You get the country you want.

No one can live by the exacting standards on clicktivists, who have every solution in the book. No one can match the utopian dreams of people who have limited experience of the real world and think posting tweets make them the best people.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The two choices: terrible, disgraceful, disgusting. Two horrible geriatrics going against each other in a country which claims to be the "greatest on the planet" is not a sight for the sore eyes.

However, there is one side that wants to play on the cultural issues and wants authoritarianism; we have already seen a trailer of which in action. There is this other side, also abhorrent, but you can still coerce them into doing the right thing/move them in the right direction. They have kept shamelessly quite on certain things but also have done quite good work on other issues. There is hope that you can make them act on the things they have been shamelessly quite on so far. Still, it's the voters choice. You get the country you want.

No one can live by the exacting standards on clicktivists, who have every solution in the book. No one can match the utopian dreams of people who have limited experience of the real world and think posting tweets make them the best people.
This might be your best ever post.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Good night, sir.
Biden is endorsing and supporting the genocide of the Palestinian people. It’s really not that hard to understand. You seem to be ok with it, so you do you. But don’t throw a infantile tantrum when people begin calling you out for it.

neverdie

What terrorists do is target the innocent deliberately. You can, if you accept that premise, therefore define terrorism as the systematic and deliberate attack, including the murder, maiming, and menacing of innocents and civilians for political goals. This is what modern day "zionism/settler colonialism" IS under the banner of IDF protection and general international looking-the-other-way.

You can say Hamas did such a thing on October 7th, but this, and previous, Israeli regimes have been going about precisely this form of action in the West Bank and Gaza for decades. They kill innocent people so often that you have, whatever the intent, to causally accept the provisional conclusion that it is purposed. It's a trend and it is, in this instance, widescale genocide (5% of all Gazans either murdered or injured).

That's also Bibi's own definition of terrorism (almost verbatim). You see how ridiculous it is?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
However, there is one side that wants to play on the cultural issues and wants authoritarianism; we have already seen a trailer of which in action.
'The GOP wants authoritarianism' may be true but this seems like the worst week to be making this comparison. What is "protesters and faculty being beat up by police at liberal universities in liberal states" a trailer for? Small-d democracy?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
How about people who can't vote for a guy supporting genocide because of their conscious and personal morals? Are they also utopian clicktivists with limited experience of the real world?

This whole labeling people who don't vote for biden as opportunistic self righteous utopians who just want to feel smug and superior for those sweet internet feel good points is getting kind of tiring. I hope it's not really that hard to understand that people have personal moral red lines they can't cross and it has nothing to do with feeling superior, but at peace with themselves.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
At this point, with all the info available, still denying this is genocide... to quote your guy: "c'mon man".

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
As far as I can tell the origin of 'if you vote for Biden you support genocide' here is a retort to the oft-repeated claim that if you don't support Biden you support immigrants being thrown into a meat grinder. Those posts have been made plenty of times here.
From what I've seen, its the other way around but neither type of post contributes anything to these threads and just inhibits meaningful discussion.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
this is probably the correct thing politically. law and order is always a vote winner. and mainstream media has covered these protests as being violent, so the voting mass of boomers will agree with him here. i still feel the general breakdown in order reflects badly on a democrat president, and this might not be enough.

this is 100% correct. capitulating to hippies would be the end of his campaign in the subrubs.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I would enjoy BIden losing so much if is not because Trump will be the winner

What a disgusting elections the US has in 6 months time. I pity them and I pity the world. Trump will be the worse president ever, even 2016-20 Trump and Biden is up there with Bush or worse. the 2024-28 will be the worst (trump) or the 3rd worst (Biden) presidency in many decades

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Can’t wait for this boomer generation to die off.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
It really is incredible how Biden and Trump are the best that the US can come up with.

I’d still vote Biden any day of the week if I could, but his handling of the Palestine/Israel conflict has been terrible.

Suedesi

I got to say, the amount of moralizing, especially by non US voters, in this thread and all the other US politics threads, is fecking amazing. Not a single one of you has had the honesty or courage to actually address the real world results of your fantasy scenarios. You keep telling us, the actual US voters, that we are supporting genocide, that we love Palestinian babies being killed, and that we should take a moral stance and not vote for Biden. But not a single damn one of you will take the next step and discuss what would happen if all of us in this country who are horrified by our government’s actions in Palestine decide to stay home. There are likely millions of us. Just say you want Trump to be president and that you believe that is what is best for Palestine and the rest of the world, because that is actually what you are advocating. Is Biden perfect? Hell no, he’s not even decent on many issues, but he is the best of two options. That is the real world, and it sucks, but what else is there to do?
Regarding who would be better for Palestine—Biden or Trump—it's not very clear. Trump, to his credit, is not a warmonger. He often boasts about being the only recent U.S. President who did not start a new war, arguing that war is bad for business. He is less interested in geopolitics and more focused on geoeconomics. Representing the dovish side of the GOP, he is somewhat unconventional in U.S. foreign policy. However, he could still be compelled to adopt a more hawkish stance, especially if pressured by unforeseen events or the influence of Washington insiders.

As for Biden, he's a hawk whose past policies have put his reelection in jeopardy. One could argue that his past policy failures, could make him more cautious, possibly steering him towards a more dovish approach. Yet, one could argue just as easily that he might intensify involvement in Ukraine, the Middle East, and East Asia, potentially hastening the decline of U.S. influence. Predicting the future is challenging, and I'm not comfortable claiming that either Biden or Trump would contribute more to world peace than the other.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Trump wants to bomb Mexico. He will have no problem using violence and with a next cabinet, the adults in the room that kept him from doing worse shit won't be there anymore.
Any specifics on this? I know about "the wall" but him wanting to bomb Mexico is new to me.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Regarding who would be better for Palestine—Biden or Trump—it's not very clear. Trump, to his credit, is not a warmonger. He often boasts about being the only recent U.S. President who did not start a new war, arguing that war is bad for business. He is less interested in geopolitics and more focused on geoeconomics. Representing the dovish side of the GOP, he is somewhat unconventional in U.S. foreign policy. However, he could still be compelled to adopt a more hawkish stance, especially if pressured by unforeseen events or the influence of Washington insiders.

As for Biden, he's a hawk whose past policies have put his reelection in jeopardy. One could argue that his past policy failures, could make him more cautious, possibly steering him towards a more dovish approach. Yet, one could argue just as easily that he might intensify involvement in Ukraine, the Middle East, and East Asia, potentially hastening the decline of U.S. influence. Predicting the future is challenging, and I'm not comfortable claiming that either Biden or Trump would contribute more to world peace than the other.
Trump the dove presided over far more drone strikes than Biden the hawk.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
While browsing twitter I found a link to a poorly-aged article from the 20th of October: Biden’s Allies Say the Quiet Part Out Loud: This War Could Be His 2024 Reset

In multiple conversations with key figures in Biden world, both on and off the record, it becomes clear they see the opportunity presented by an unexpected crisis to feature Biden’s strengths.
“This is an area that he knows a lot about. He’s known Bibi Netanyahu for 50 years,” says Ted Kaufman, Biden’s former chief of staff.
“You don’t know how this is going to play out,” says Kamarck. “You don’t know if it will be a total mess by next summer or whether it will be something that Biden will calm down. But if anybody could do difficult things like this — broker the Middle East, get Democrats and Republicans together, it is Biden. This is the moment for this kind of man.
The quiet part should have remained quiet.