The Biden Presidency

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout

Pure psychopath
Like a petulant child (but not Trump). Obfuscation, shutting down questioner, talking over free press mid question (but not Trump). Pulling buzz words out her ass (but not Trump). Rambling incoherent Trumpy story (but not Trump). Rabid, imbecilic supporters defending her shittery (BNT).

WPMUFC

Like a petulant child (but not Trump). Obfuscation, shutting down questioner, talking over free press mid question (but not Trump). Pulling buzz words out her ass (but not Trump). Rambling incoherent Trumpy story (but not Trump). Rabid, imbecilic supporters defending her shittery (BNT).
She has a net worth of ~100 million

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...s/no-nancy-pelosis-net-worth-not-196-million/

She's made her seat essentially incontestable and dominates california politics.

Yet Trump has deluded the liberal mind into screaming YAAASS QUEEN because she clapped funny and ripped up a piece of paper. She's the poster-child for term limits. When your entire focus is winning your seat and fundraising, you're not a politician, you're an elected lobbyist. This next 4 years will likely be less embarrasing than the Trump administration, but it's already looking more infuriating in terms of governance and those that actually want meaningful policy.

Last edited:

Precaution

Pelosi is an old hag who needs to die off by eating her overly expensive Ice Cream and played politics with people's lives but let's not beat around the bush either, whether or not she agreed to the White House offer of $1.9trill that was still never going to get past McTurtles Republican Senate, like are you mad? He's been suggesting $500bill this whole time, he's in charge and he knows it but I guess that still doesn't excuse ol' bag her stupid crap.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Biden is promising free vaccine to everyone - that's huge if it's true.
That's good news, especially given the fact that there are sub-sections of society who will make excuses not to get vaccinated (medicine is too new and could be dangerous etc). At least they won't have the excuse of saying its too expensive.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Genuine question: are there any countries out there not planning on offering the Covid19 vaccine to everyone for free?
India. That was the assumption, but during the campaign for a state election last month, the central ruling party put in its manifesto free vaccine distribution in that state if they kept power (which they did).

Last edited:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Genuine question: are there any countries out there not planning on offering the Covid19 vaccine to everyone for free?
I’ve read that there’ll be administrative costs for the vaccine in the US. To me that means that if, say CVS, (a major pharmacy chain) gives you the vaccine that they might charge for their efforts.
A flu shot is normally $15-$20 iirc. If you have a health insurance card then it’s typically free.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
India. That was the assumption, but during the campaign for a state election last month, the central ruling party put in its manifesto free vaccine distribution in that state if they kept power (which they did).
I think ultimately Govt will say that it will be free for all but the distribution of same is going to entail 3-4 years which essentially means that upper and middle class will buy their own vaccines within an year or so leaving Govt to run their programs in rural places. Also people who can afford, will likely go for Pfizer/Modern once that is available even if its cost is 10-20x of Oxford's.

WPMUFC

Shark Tank investor and entrepreneur Kevin O’Leary says that would be a mistake.

“I’m not worried about business in America, I’m worried about people in America,” O’Leary told Yahoo Finance Live. “I’d much rather have a stimulus package that gives individual checks or extends unemployment benefits for the next 14 months.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/a-se...kage-shark-tanks-kevin-o-leary-131545624.html

When the guy that said in the past that a huge number of people living in poverty was "great news" for the economy, has a better take than the Democratic leadership.

Well done Pelosi. Political masterclass yet again, you absolute cretin.

Last edited:

iKnowNothing

Not sure how this is ‘huge’? This is the absolute bare minimum to get herd immunity.
From what I’ve seen of the way America and Americans operate, the cost of administering a vaccine to everyone for free across the country will be huge. The sense that I have is Americans don’t want/like government. So a federal government undertaking this initiative is actually “huge” - at least for me.

Re Trump administration offering a similar free vaccine- well, I don’t trust the Trump admin on this. They may have just said this for votes (the article was from Sep2020).
Besides, now that it’s an admin on its way out and the new administration has also offered this, it is “huge” - again for me.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
@Ubik @Sweet Square
Carl Beijer from Jacobin *really* hates Sean Mcelwee
https://www.carlbeijer.com/p/the-data-for-progress-cabinet-tracker

During the 2020 elections, progressives often insisted that by maintaining critical support for Joe Biden and promoting his administration as open to their politics, they would be able to win “a seat at the table” with him and ultimately “push him to the left.” Often, it is very hard to actually judge whether they actually make good on this plan, since assessments of “progressive” are completely subjective.

This time around, however, Data for Progress gave us a very clear way to evaluate this strategy: appointments. Earlier this year, DfP published their Progressive Cabinet Project, which proposed well over a hundred potential nominees to various positions in Joe Biden’s cabinet.

Moving forward, I’ll be tracking how many of these suggestions actually get adopted by Biden. You can find a detailed breakdown here.

Drifter

American
Trump supporters online feel like they are "winning" on this news.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Biden made his comments unprompted, referencing an earlier remark made by NAACP President Derrick Johnson, who had warned that appointing Tom Vilsack to be secretary of agriculture would anger Black farmers in Georgia, as well as Black voters generally in the state, for whom Shirley Sherrod was a hero. Sherrod was fired by Vilsack from her position as Georgia Director of Rural Development for the USDA during Vilsack’s previous tenure as agriculture secretary during the Obama administration. Her firing was quickly revealed to have been a mistake, and based on an incomplete airing of a video by the late conservative provocateur Andrew Breitbart. Particularly in Georgia, Johnson noted, Vilsack’s capitulation was still a sore spot and nominated him would be “disastrous” electorally. “If you consider the victory that you appreciated in Georgia, it was around 12,000 votes. And so as you consider appointments, you also must consider what impact would that have on voters in the state of Georgia. And I will submit to you that former Secretary Vilsack could have a disastrous impact on voters in Georgia. Shirley Sherrod is a civil rights legend, a hero,” Johnson said.

Toward the end of the conversation, Biden raised Johnson’s remark to dismiss it, saying Johnson would soon learn more about Vilsack’s record. It also wouldn’t be prudent to have that fight before the Georgia runoffs, he said, before adding that police reform should also be avoided. “I also don't think we should get too far ahead ourselves on dealing with police reform in that, because they've already labeled us as being ‘defund the police,’ anything we put forward in terms of the organizational structure to change policing -- which I promise you, will occur. Promise you,” Biden said.
So there's some things that I'm going to be able to do by executive order. I'm not going to hesitate to do it, but what I'm not going to do is I'm not going to do what used to--Vanita, you probably used to get angry with me during the debates, when you'd have some of the people you were supporting saying, 'On Day One I'm gonna have an executive order to do this!' Not within the constitutional authority. I am not going to violate the Constitution. Executive authority that my progressive friends talk about is way beyond the bounds. And as one of you said, maybe it was you, Reverend Al, whether it's far left or far, right, there is a Constitution. It's our only hope. Our only hope and the way to deal with it is, where I have executive authority, I will use it to undo every single damn thing this guy has done by executive authority, but I'm not going to exercise executive authority where it's a question, where I can come along and say, I can do away with assault weapons. There's no executive authority to do away that. And no one has fought harder to get rid of assault weapons than me, me, but you can't do it by executive order. We do that, next guy comes along and says, well, guess what? By executive order, I guess everybody can jave machine guns again. So we gotta be careful.”

nimic

something nice
Scout
All this talk of executive orders just reminds me what a bad idea it is to have the executive branch essentially separate from the legislative branch. It just leads to situations like this, where one party controls the legislative, one party controls the executive, and nothing gets done. That's only compunded by the fact that there are only two parties. I tend to think it's also a big mistake to have two separate chambers of the legislative (Senate, House of Lords, whatever), but that's a lesser issue.

How did the US, the "home of democracy", manage to design such a flawed system? Hell, add the supremacy of the judicial branch on top of everything. It's like everything is made not to work smoothly.