The Biden Presidency

Kaos

Hopefully going to be posting much less in this thread than in the previous (impeached) President's thread.

One (quite possibly the only) good thing to say about Trump is that he didn't invade any other country (although it seemed touch and go with Iran before Covid), which seems to be standard for US leaders. Hopefully Biden will be just as restrained.
This is already been discussed, its a huge misconception.

While he hasn't really put boots on the ground and led massive invasions into other countries, his foreign policy has been quite destructive. Bombing Afghanistan, Syria (not ISIS, government targets thereby indirectly playing into ISIS' hands), betraying the Kurds (who played a huge role in defeating ISIS), helping the Saudis devastate Yemen, attempting coups and assassinations in Latin America, assassinating an Iranian general which almost threatened a regional war. I mean he even had John Bolton in his administration at one point.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I'm just looking forward to the presidency not playing out over Twitter.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Trump did more drone strikes than Dronebama. Why are we pretending he's Ghandi? Or is bombing people only bad after you declare war?

decorativeed

This is already been discussed, its a huge misconception.

While he hasn't really put boots on the ground and led massive invasions into other countries, his foreign policy has been quite destructive. Bombing Afghanistan, Syria (not ISIS, government targets thereby indirectly playing into ISIS' hands), betraying the Kurds (who played a huge role in defeating ISIS), helping the Saudis devastate Yemen, attempting coups and assassinations in Latin America, assassinating an Iranian general which almost threatened a regional war. I mean he even had John Bolton in his administration at one point.
Yeah, although he didn't start any new 'campaign'. The UK has been complicit in much of the rest of the shit you list too. I suppose I'm saying it could easily have been worse - which admittedly is a low bar.

hungrywing

Watching some of the fawning over Harris and Biden, it's very easy to understand Trump's success, for these are the seeds from which all cult worship grows. A hopeless species.
This elephant ain't exactly wrong.

Hopefully going to be posting much less in this thread than in the previous (impeached) President's thread.

One (quite possibly the only) good thing to say about Trump is that he didn't invade any other country (although it seemed touch and go with Iran before Covid), which seems to be standard for US leaders. Hopefully Biden will be just as restrained.
Too busy invading the one he was already in.

Precaution

What's the truth in the rumours Biden wants to appoint Cheney in some kind of role? This Presidency will already be lost if that psychopath gets back into politics

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
What's the truth in the rumours Biden wants to appoint Cheney in some kind of role? This Presidency will already be lost if that psychopath gets back into politics
I don't think anyone in the democratic party is so tone deaf as to invite a snake that is equally hated by liberals and conservatives alike into the house.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

He will probably:

- Re-enter the US into the JCPOA (the Iran nuclear deal)
- Rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement
- Reverse Trump's withdrawal from the World Health Organization
- Keep a small amount of counter-terrorism forces in Afghanistan and Iraq (as requested by both governments)
- Invest heavily in NATO expansion
- Make renewed great power competition with Russia and China the central focus of US foreign policy.

Will he get into new wars ? Probably not, although one can never tell what geopolitical events may happen over the next few years.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The Muslim band will go.
I am bot too sure about the JCPOA. Think they will use it as an opportunity to renegotiate some stuff and I am not too sure Iran will accept.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He will probably:

- Keep a small amount of counter-terrorism forces in Afghanistan and Iraq (as requested by both governments)
- Make renewed great power competition with Russia and China the central focus of US foreign policy.

Will he get into new wars ? Probably not, although one can never tell what geopolitical events may happen over the next few years.
It's time to stop war.

The trickle effect from war no matter how distance it is felt everywhere.

Maybe it's time nations starts cooperation era.

The US are betweeb the rock and hard place though. They're riding a tiger and if they stop riding the tiger will eat them. I'm talking about the fundamental of us dollar as global currency.

They rely on their muscle to keep their livelihood running. I dont think any president can change the hawkish nature of their international policy.

Precaution

He will probably:

DACA will be reinstated along with the vastly purposefully underfunded USCIS and hopefully the post office so I can get my god damn snail mail on time.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'm glad people find the idea of infantile genocide so funny. It reflects well on you. Just look it up, it isn't even hard to find.

Naral are very well known, by the way. But, I guess you would want to sweep it under the rug because it doesn't fit with your ideology.
Okay. Scream more into the wind.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I'm glad people find the idea of infantile genocide so funny. It reflects well on you. Just look it up, it isn't even hard to find.

Naral are very well known, by the way. But, I guess you would want to sweep it under the rug because it doesn't fit with your ideology.
Biden probably gonna be much worse on foreign policy and you worried about abortions? feck is wrong with you people?

Sweet Square

Pffft... Our resident Bernie bros reckon he’s a terrible candidate so none of this stuff is in any way a good thing.
Yep that is 100% the argument. Well done!

Anyways what did you think of Biden basically saying trans rights in his speech last night ? Another one lost to the blue haired PC gone mad brigade right ?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
It's time to stop war.

The trickle effect from war no matter how distance it is felt everywhere.

Maybe it's time nations starts cooperation era.

The US are betweeb the rock and hard place though. They're riding a tiger and if they stop riding the tiger will eat them. I'm talking about the fundamental of us dollar as global currency.

They rely on their muscle to keep their livelihood running. I dont think any president can change the hawkish nature of their international policy.
What would the US economy be if not for invading, occupying, and bombing other nations under the pretext of defense while accusing others of being aggressive?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What would the US economy be if not for invading, occupying, and bombing other nations under the pretext of defense while accusing others of being aggressive?
This wouldn't matter either way. It would still be the biggest economy in the world.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's good that he's reportedly going to do these on day 1. It doesn't really do much but certainly internationally, optics do count for something.

(Oh, I see I'm just parroting myself from the international policy thread. Well, at least I'm consistent this weekend.)

Precisely?

Zero.
Could you provide some decimals with that?

Last edited:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He's a bad person, for reasons I imagine I've said enough times. He'll also be a bad president, cause he's a very typical centre right politician and as such will do next to nothing to improve healthcare in the US or carbon emissions in the US and the rest of the world. We will get the bare minimum on both, which is better than nothing, but, you know, barely.

But, yeah, for the most part he just has to avoid starting any wars in order to be a considerable improvement on Trump.

Tyrion

Watching some of the fawning over Harris and Biden, it's very easy to understand Trump's success, for these are the seeds from which all cult worship grows. A hopeless species.
I guess. US politics is very personality driven. Maybe it's their presidential system and sensationalist media.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's good that he's reportedly going to do these on day 1. It doesn't really do much but certainly internationally, optics do count for something.

(Oh, I see I'm just parroting myself from the international policy thread. Well, at least I'm consistent this weekend.)

Could you provide some decimals with that?
Returning to Paris and the JCPOA are both quite significant. Same with reversing the decision to leave the WHO since international institutions need more support in the post Trump period.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yep that is 100% the argument. Well done!

Anyways what did you think of Biden basically saying trans rights in his speech last night ? Another one lost to the blue haired PC gone mad brigade right ?
Are you implying I have a problem with trans rights? That’s a shitty thing to do but whatever. More power to Biden for making that front and centre in his speech.

Perhaps you can explain what the argument is, exactly? Because it seems to me it started with people sneering at celebrating Biden ousting Trump. Which is such a fecking obvious thing to be pleased about it’s hard to understand what kind of dick would want to rain on the parade of anyone who is taking pleasure in the events of the last couple of days. Feck knows there’s not been much to feel pleased about with the year that’s in it...

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
There's no economic benefit to invading foreign countries. The US already imports a vast majority of its oil from Canada. Apple, Amazon, Google, FB, Boeing and all the other companies would still be crushing it.
Well the US is behind China in GDP (a crass metric). So to suggest abandoning contributions into some of the largest companies in the country would increase the economy is daft.

Though I agree with a more nuanced position that suggests war is pointless and investing in people and local infrastructure would retain more $, increase social happiness rankings and elevate the nation.

Also, Boeing is an odd outlier of that group, FB is a cancer, Amazon relies on China.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Returning to Paris and the JCPOA are both quite significant. Same with reversing the decision to leave the WHO since international institutions need more support in the post Trump period.
The Iran one would definitely be very important, but it won't be a Day 1 thing (which is what I focused on in my post).

Paris on Day 1 is just optics, as a LOT will need to happen afterwards to make the US meet what's in the agreement, and a GOP Senate might block a lot of that. But simply resigning would already be a great statement of intent.

I don't know how WHO funding really works, so can't comment on the actual importance of getting back in. But same as with Paris, the US is often used as an example or guide by others, so at least countries that want to do stupid stuff can't say they're just following the US.

Drifter

American
Biden won the Electoral College. Now he should call for it to be abolished.

While most of the frustration over the Electoral College is focused on the amplification of rural votes over those in urban areas, there is also another problem with this archaic institution that deserves attention: its effect on the voices of voters of color.

Biden's voters — especially southern voters of color that effectively granted him the nomination in March and have been instrumental in securing his general election victory — deserve to be represented accurately, and under the electoral college system, many of their votes are rendered less powerful than their white counterparts. If Biden wants to combat the rising narrative that Democrats take their Black constituents for granted, fighting to increase the value of that demographic's vote should be a top priority.

11 years after the issuance of the Declaration of Independence, the earliest American politicians held the Congressional Convention to decide how the newly christened country should go about choosing a leader, but there was some immediate contention.

Some wanted Congress to choose the president, while others vouched for a democratic vote of the people. Eventually, they landed on a system which dictated that a number of electors from each state would be responsible for voting for the president, and that the electoral number would be pursuant to the given state's population.

Texas A&M political science Professor George Edwards notes that the electoral college was never meant to be the perfect system, but rather something that was slapped together out of fatigue. "They were tired, impatient, frustrated. They cobbled together this plan because they couldn't agree on anything else," he told History.

More problems came about when those politicians worried that states where enslaved people made up a gigantic share of the population — such as Virginia where 60% of the population was enslaved — would get too many electors. So, the founders had to find middle ground, leading to the infamous Three-Fifths Compromise. They decided that Black enslaved people would count as three-fifths of a person when considering a state's population, and therefore its electors.

The Three-Fifths compromise, a function of the electoral college, sought to devalue Black presence in America. 233 years later, the Three-fifth compromise is gone, but the legacy of suppression remains with us.

Biden has already told the New York Times that he doesn't support abolishing the electoral college because it "raises problems that are more damaging than the problem that exists," referring to the divisive nature of such a pursuit. That stance is nothing less than an insult to the voters of color that gave him the Democratic nomination. It also underscores popular criticism from Biden's left that the Democratic party takes the votes of Black people for granted.

That sentiment has also been appropriated by far-right influencers like Candace Owens as a reason for Black voters to consider another party, and while the possibility of that happening is incredibly unlikely, it does give me pause that Democrats haven't been interested in combating the narrative. Without even considering a call to reform our voting system, you can't help but come to the conclusion that Biden is largely okay with how the Black vote is valued in this country.

Because electoral votes are given based on population, and because of the way racial demographics are dispersed geographically, the white vote is worth more than the vote of other ethnicities. A calculation done by Vox found that a white person's vote has 16% more power than a Black person's vote, 28% more power than a Latino's vote, and 58% more power than other people of color, including Asian Americans, Native Americans, and more.

Let's apply this practically. According to the US Census Bureau, Wyoming has the country's smallest population with about 600,000 residents. California is home to 40 million people, more than all of Canada combined. Each of the three electors in Wyoming represent around 200,000 people, while each of California's 55 electors represent about 700,000 people. That alone gives Wyoming's electoral votes more representation than California's 55, but when you consider that Wyoming is 83% white and that California is only 38% white, the result is that the votes of people of color have less influence than the white electorate.

Most states have passed laws which guarantee its electoral votes to the winner of its popular vote, but the fact remains that votes of color are actively under valued. As the Vox study above states emphasizes, when a campaign zeros in on counties or states that have flipping potential, they are effectively targeting groups that are not representative of the country, and are, for that reason, being overvalued.

It would be difficult to abolish the electoral college. Congress would have to pass a new amendment to the constitution which would require the support of two-thirds of the House and the Senate. But Biden is now the president-elect and can help shape what the Democrats choose to pursue in the future. Who better to call for reform of the electoral college than the winner of the electoral college himself?

https://www.businessinsider.com/bid...lley+Insider)&utm_source=reddit.com&r=US&IR=T