The Biden Presidency

Sweet Square

Perhaps you can explain what the argument is, exactly? Because it seems to me it started with people sneering at celebrating Biden ousting Trump. Which is such a fecking obvious thing to be pleased about it’s hard to understand what kind of dick would want to rain on the parade of anyone who is taking pleasure in the events of the last couple of days. Feck knows there’s not been much to feel pleased about with the year that’s in it...
That Biden has played a rather part in putting forward some of the most right wing and disastrous policies of the last few decades and just because he is slightly better than Trump doesn't mean all critical thought should go out the window. It's not a difficult argument to understand

Honestly I would have more sympathy for the lets just be happy right now shtick if we didn't already have 8 years of Obama. We've been here before and seen the outcome. A dominant liberal culture and a liberal in the white house doesn't actually solve anything, so I can see why some people are frustrated.

Also this place is like 95% liberal. There were about a hand of critical posts in a sea of people celebrating. Imo if it wasn't for the more critical voices it would be a dull read(Even the odd abortion guy was an interesting change of tone).

Anyways hopefully Biden is great a US president and somehow manages to get some important reforms through but considering his history people should be very skeptical.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
It's kinda scary that Trump got 71 million votes. 71 million after 4 years of that.

Do you think Biden would have won if it not for covid? I don't think he would have.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's kinda scary that Trump got 71 million votes. 71 million after 4 years of that.

Do you think Biden would have won if it not for covid? I don't think he would have.
He had the benefit of an entire media apparatus promoting him during that time. Millions of people who watch the nightly lineup of Fox News pundits were bombarded with pro-Trump propaganda to the point where nothing he did would be viewed as bad. Fortunately, a hell of a lot of people outside the right wing thought bubble also voted against him.

nickm

Hopefully going to be posting much less in this thread than in the previous (impeached) President's thread.

One (quite possibly the only) good thing to say about Trump is that he didn't invade any other country (although it seemed touch and go with Iran before Covid), which seems to be standard for US leaders. Hopefully Biden will be just as restrained.
Maybe not but IMO the way hes weakened America and its alliances, the strains he placed on the international system, his failure over Russian and Chinese expansion and his weakness over North Korea have made a major war more likely.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That Biden has played a rather part in putting forward some of the most right wing and disastrous policies of the last few decades and just because he is slightly better than Trump doesn't mean all critical thought should go out the window. It's not a difficult argument to understand

Honestly I would have more sympathy for the lets just be happy right now shtick if we didn't already have 8 years of Obama. We've been here before and seen the outcome. A dominant liberal culture and a liberal in the white house doesn't actually solve anything, so I can see why some people are frustrated.

Also this place is like 95% liberal. There were about a hand of critical posts in a sea of people celebrating. Imo if it wasn't for the more critical voices it would be a dull read(Even the odd abortion guy was an interesting change of tone).

Anyways hopefully Biden is great a US president and somehow manages to get some important reforms through but considering his history people should be very skeptical.
I understand the scepticism. I don’t know enough about US politics (or politics in general) to share it but I’m not expecting everyone to be a cheerleader for Biden. That’s fair enough.

It just wound me up (perhaps unreasonably?) that you’d expect a fairly unanimous consensus (amongst sensible/reasonable people) that the result of this election had the better of two outcomes and we weren’t even allowed 24 hours of non pissed on chips! Like I said, it’s been a terrible fecking year for everyone, I don’t know why even the most ardent Bernie bro couldn’t allow themselves any satisfaction at Trump’s demise. Life is far too short to not look for a bit of happiness when stuff like this happens.

decorativeed

How was someone talking absolute bullshit 'an interesting change of tone'? They were demonstrating exactly why the right and those to the left of them are constantly bickering and will never see eye to eye. Many right wingers will believe absolutely the worst lies about the left without questioning the truth of what they are being told for a second. It goes without saying that nobody voted Democrat so they could be free to kill babies at full term. It just isn't a thing.

Also, there's already plenty of criticism of Biden and his party in this thread and elsewhere. He's not got a great record. But on the other hand, the list of terrible things Trump did in any given month is obscene.

decorativeed

Maybe not but IMO the way hes weakened America and its alliances, the strains he placed on the international system, his failure over Russian and Chinese expansion and his weakness over North Korea have made a major war more likely.
Agreed. Having him at the helm of a country like the US it felt like anything could happen at any given moment. Someone so volatile should be nowhere near a Catherine Wheel, never mind the nuclear codes.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Some people just like misery and victim status, Pogue.

decorativeed

I understand the scepticism. I don’t know enough about US politics (or politics in general) to share it but I’m not expecting everyone to be a cheerleader for Biden. That’s fair enough.

It just wound me up (perhaps unreasonably?) that you’d expect a fairly unanimous consensus (amongst sensible/reasonable people) that the result of this election had the better of two outcomes and we weren’t even allowed 24 hours of non pissed on chips! Like I said, it’s been a terrible fecking year for everyone, I don’t know why even the most ardent Bernie bro couldn’t allow themselves any satisfaction at Trump’s demise. Life is far too short to not look for a bit of happiness when stuff like this happens.
After election after election after referendum in the last decade went the way of making the majority of people's lives worse, and in the middle of the worst year in most people's living memory, you know what, it felt good for a day to see a reversal of it all. Seeing the downfall of that odious orange prick in the White House has been a rare moment to enjoy and savour in an era of awfulness. That doesn't mean we're creaming ourselves at the prospect of a Biden presidency, just hoping for a return to normalcy, and with maybe a dash of hope for something better than that.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Enlighten me, wise one. Why would it have been preferable for Trump to get re-elected? I’m more than willing to be educated on this.

Failing that, feel free to pass on the opportunity to inform and go with another shitty one-liner. You might even get a green smilie this time!
Who said it would have been preferable?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You’re not wrong. I’ve often thought that one of the worst things about going all in on any kind of fairly radical political ideology is dooming yourself to spending your whole life low grade pissed off that your longed for (far left, far right, far whatever the feck) utopia never materialises.

And then you die. In the style of comic book guy from the Simpsons.

Eboue

That's actually true. I love crushing student loan debt and financial precarity brought on by a for-profit health system and the complete destruction of workers rights. If I had to choose between a robust social safety net and the chance to be miserable, I'd choose the latter. Well done.

Sweet Square

Many of the people who celebrated Biden win also tried their hardest earlier in the year to stop Bernie from winning. It's hard to feel any satisfaction for a Democratic win when the party overwhelmed the only candidate offering free healthcare.

This shit doesn't really effect both us in the same as it effects people living in American. Biden empty jargon on healthcare is just that for us because we've got decent health.

Also even putting all that to the side, I tend to prescribe to Alexander Cockburn idea of pure hate.
Everyone knows Alex’s great bit about his hate being pure. If you don’t know the story, it’s a tradition that Alex inherited from his editor Jim Goode who’d test Alexander’s morale and commitment to the good fight by asking him if his “hate” for the powerful was truly pure. Alex would then put the same question to his interns at the Nation. One such intern, a young Ed Miliband, soon to be the next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, replied with shock that he did not, in fact, hate anyone. As Alex put it: “It’s all you need to know.”

https://www.counterpunch.org/2013/10/04/alexander-cockburn-the-last-polemicist/
If you let up for a second then you've lost it. And who the hell would want to be Ed Miliband!

I've always quite liked the guy tbh

How was someone talking absolute bullshit 'an interesting change of tone'? They were demonstrating exactly why the right and those to the left of them are constantly bickering and will never see eye to eye. Many right wingers will believe absolutely the worst lies about the left without questioning the truth of what they are being told for a second. It goes without saying that nobody voted Democrat so they could be free to kill babies at full term. It just isn't a thing.

Also, there's already plenty of criticism of Biden and his party in this thread and elsewhere. He's not got a great record. But on the other hand, the list of terrible things Trump did in any given month is obscene.
It made me laugh that's all.

Meh the left tend to do the same although not to the same crazy extent. How many left leaning people thought Trump was a fascist dictator ? Or that America was heading towards a civil war. I mean we laughed at all the stupid right wingers for protesting lockdown but yesterday a ton of left leaning people were outside in big crowds celebrating Biden win.

Now of course the right are the worst and it's good that Biden won but there's also a ton of insane left leaning people as well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
That's actually true. I love crushing student loan debt and financial precarity brought on by a for-profit health system and the complete destruction of workers rights. If I had to choose between a robust social safety net and the chance to be miserable, I'd choose the latter. Well done.
And yet when the needle shifts in the direction of that robust social safety net at the end of the rainbow your first instinct is to moan about how it hasn’t moved far enough. Sounds a lot like you really are choosing to be miserable from here.

Eboue

And yet when the needle shifts in the direction of that robust social safety net at the end of the rainbow your first instinct is to moan about how it hasn’t moved far enough. Sounds a lot like you really are choosing to be miserable from here.
it didnt shift pogue. you dont know that because like you said, you dont know enough about american politics. so maybe a little humility on a subject you dont know anything about?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Stop killing my middle class, liberal buzz with your piffling stories of unaffordable medical treatment and maimed Iraqi children, I'm trying to pull a party popper over here. It has Go Joe! written on it.

Sweet Square

Stop killing my middle class, liberal buzz with your piffling stories of unaffordable medical treatment and maimed Iraqi children, I'm trying to pull a party popper over here. It has Go Joe! written on it.
:lol:

Last edited:

Foxbatt

He is not going to tweet so much nonsense for sure. He sure will have more dignity in holding the office of the POTUS. bring back respect to the office.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Why do you choose to be condescending on this issue when you know the legitimate grievances they have and can clearly acknowledge that your preference for moderation and belief in incremental progress is hardly the only legitimate position to take on these issues?