Film The Big Short

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Love watching it. Have watched loads of times. It's pretty much a lightest take on the housing crisis with a bunch of characters taking the piss the whole time. Gosling and Carell are hilarious in particular.
The guy who played the CDO manager was also very good. :lol:

NotworkSte

I loved Margin Call, wonderfully dark. Quality cast.

I may watch both tonight. It’s tough stomaching Kevin Spacey, but he is at his typical high level in there.
[/QUOTE]
I hate that I think Spacey is excellent in Margin Call. It’s well worth a watch.

Aside from the others mentioned (and I also generally hate Affleck) but Company Men is good watch too.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I loved Margin Call, wonderfully dark. Quality cast.

I may watch both tonight. It’s tough stomaching Kevin Spacey, but he is at his typical high level in there.
I hate that I think Spacey is excellent in Margin Call. It’s well worth a watch.

Aside from the others mentioned (and I also generally hate Affleck) but Company Men is good watch too.
[/QUOTE]
I’ve never seen this. Thanks for the memory jog.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The Big Short is a great movie. Fun fact - I've met Dr Michael Burry. Christian Bale absolutely nails him

MTF

:lol: so many great scenes.

But the one where Gosling makes that pitch is my favorite. Also the call between Gosling and Jeremy strong which Gosling ends with 'you get the sundae Vinnie" :lol::lol:
Another memorable line from the Ryan Gosling character from a later scene with Steve Carrell: "I mean seriously, I feel like I'm financially inside you or something.... I'm jacked, jacked to the tits!" Sounds perverted out of context, but the delivery makes it work.

Is Liar's Poker good?
I quite liked it, although I did choose this shit for a job so take it with a grain of salt. I find Michael Lewis' writing excellent in general though.

@Cheimoon , as far as Margin Call being socially conscious I'd probably have to go with 'not exactly'. It's about the type of personalities you'd find at some of the banks, and some of the dilemmas they faced when shit hit the fan in 2008. Saying it like that sounds like it's a documentary when it's not that at all, a lot of people found it a compelling narrative and you don't at all need to understand the technical side of things... the movie isn't trying to teach you or counting on you learning. It's just people going through a particular corporatey stressful situation. Very well acted, Jeremy Irons' character a particular standout for me.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Another memorable line from the Ryan Gosling character from a later scene with Steve Carrell: "I mean seriously, I feel like I'm financially inside you or something.... I'm jacked, jacked to the tits!" Sounds perverted out of context, but the delivery makes it work.

I quite liked it, although I did choose this shit for a job so take it with a grain of salt. I find Michael Lewis' writing excellent in general though.

@Cheimoon , as far as Margin Call being socially conscious I'd probably have to go with 'not exactly'. It's about the type of personalities you'd find at some of the banks, and some of the dilemmas they faced when shit hit the fan in 2008. Saying it like that sounds like it's a documentary when it's not that at all, a lot of people found it a compelling narrative and you don't at all need to understand the technical side of things... the movie isn't trying to teach you or counting on you learning. It's just people going through a particular corporatey stressful situation. Very well acted, Jeremy Irons' character a particular standout for me.
Thanks. I'll watch it anyway cause I like that sort of thing, but without the critical angle, I think my partner will probably want to give it a miss. ('Just a bunch of guys talking.')

MTF

Thanks. I'll watch it anyway cause I like that sort of thing, but without the critical angle, I think my partner will probably want to give it a miss. ('Just a bunch of guys talking.')
Haha, it certainly is just a bunch of guys talking. Only supporting actress of any relevance is Demi Moore and I don't think she really has any lines outside of 2 scenes.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Good movie, really liked it.

I'm looking forward to the GME/AMC movie next year ;)

MTF

The guy who played the CDO manager was also very good. :lol:
That scene is so perfect with Sweet Child O' Mine fading in. The CDO manager actor really managed in just minutes of screen time to make everyone hate the character.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Absolutely.

The interaction in the boardroom is especially fun.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Ever seen Glengarry Glen Ross?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ever seen Glengarry Glen Ross?
Yep, one of my favorites. :) Although it's barely a movie, rather like an elaborately staged play. But I don't like the theatre and I love GGR. Usual Suspects too, if that's not too much of a jump. All Kevin Spacey I guess.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yep, one of my favorites. :) Although it's barely a movie, rather like an elaborately staged play. But I don't like the theatre and I love GGR. Usual Suspects too, if that's not too much of a jump. All Kevin Spacey I guess.
That what it is, an adaptation from a 1980s David Mamet play.

I think that’s what makes it so brilliant. No action, no sex, no fantasy, just impeccable acting from perhaps the best ensemble cast ever seen in a stand-alone movie.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That what it is, an adaptation from a 1980s David Mamet play.

I think that’s what makes it so brilliant. No action, no sex, no fantasy, just impeccable acting from perhaps the best ensemble cast ever seen in a stand-alone movie.
I know! :) Ever seen its trailer btw?

One reason the movie tanked in cinemas. :D

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Amazing how Spacey didn’t even warrant a credit in the trailer. That’s how stacked the cast was.
This may have been his first major role though. Or at least, nothing stands out among his few earlier films. He was probably by far the rookie in that cast.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This may have been his first major role though. Or at least, nothing stands out among his few earlier films. He was probably by far the rookie in that cast.
He was B list then, had some traction, certainly not as vertical as the career path he would be on in four years’ time

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm not a fan of GGR as it is too much shouting and overacting, and too much of a stage play. A shame as they could have adapted it to be a proper film.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm not a fan of GGR as it is too much shouting and overacting, and too much of a stage play. A shame as they could have adapted to to be a proper film.
That's all true, I have to admit. Lemon is best in it probably, he does least of the shouting Still, I really enjoy it. Sorry. ;)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It would have lost its charm if it strayed too far from the stage play motif.

That kinda was the whole point.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That's all true, I have to admit. Lemon is best in it probably, he does least of the shouting Still, I really enjoy it. Sorry. ;)
I'll have to check the Red Cafe rule book but I'm almost certain that people don't have to agree with me. Except about the pointless annoyance that are scatter cushions. Niall said I can permaban anyone who disagrees with me on that specific point*

*possible an utter lie

Leg-End

Is Liar's Poker good?
Yes it’s a good one, doesn’t even read that dated considering how old it is now.

I just finished The Fifth Risk, compelling just how incompetent very major departments had no idea what to do when Trump got in.

He’s got a book about the pandemic out soon, I suspect that will be great too.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'll have to check the Red Cafe rule book but I'm almost certain that people don't have to agree with me. Except about the pointless annoyance that are scatter cushions. Niall said I can permaban anyone who disagrees with me on that specific point*

*possible an utter lie
I'd better not look up what that is then; lie or not, couldn't risk it.

Dante

Average bang
Good movie. But more importantly, it's a cultural touchstone.

It's one of those films that you need to watch or risk being lost in certain conversations.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I love The Big Short, and Moneyball. Michael Lewis is a phenomenal researcher, and both books are adapted really well into films. I think the common theme in both that appeals to me is the David and Goliath idea, little guys getting one over the big guys.

Agree about the Gosling pitch as the best scene in TBS.

I love the trading Rincon scene in Moneyball.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Ok just watched it.

I honestly might watch it again over the weekend. I’ve no idea why I’ve not watched it before. I loved it.

It was presented so well too, with the 4th wall breaks and the introduction of famous people to explain things so they’re less boring - perfectly done to be amusing but not stupid.

Great performances from the whole cast too.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ok just watched it.

I honestly might watch it again over the weekend. I’ve no idea why I’ve not watched it before. I loved it.

It was presented so well too, with the 4th wall breaks and the introduction of famous people to explain things so they’re less boring - perfectly done to be amusing but not stupid.

Just going to gloss right over all the spread sheets. That’s fine.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Ok just watched it.

Watch it again, I watch either this or Moneyball whenever I’m scrolling Netflix for a film and can’t decide.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I'm curious about Margin Call actually. It appeared on our Netflix just recently. Is it any good? And is it socially conscious? Not sure I'd enjoy it if it's about stock brokers one-upping each other, or something like that.

On topic, I'd also highly recommend The Big Short. Accessibility is great, as it has lots of little explanation moments that provide the background/context you need - but don't worry, done in a fun way. So you really gain a better understanding of the big crash and the stupidity and injustices behind it while watching a good film - even if I myself found the outcome ultimately unsatisfying.

Except if I'm remembering this wrong, the people spotting what's happening manage to make money out of the meltdown. I suppose that's supposed to make me feel good, cause they make money off the moral-free profiteers' backs while swimming against the current - but it's not something I can be sympathetic too given the subject. I mean, they are still making money that should not have been taken off the people losing their houses etc.
[/QUOTE]

I preferred Margin Call over this one, actually it's one of my favourite movies. Compared to the big short, it's much less obvious and loud about its message (but it's clear enough - still too obvious in my opinion).

LoneStar

It’s a great movie. I think you’ll appreciate it more if you know about the topic and the crisis, but they do a good job of explaining to the layman. Very good cast and its done in a fun way. Definitely worth a watch!