g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Books The BOOK thread

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Going from Rich Osmond's The Thursday Murder Club -readable, funny here and there, but sentimal- to JM Coetzee's Waiting For The Barbarians has been quite a change of tone.
Coming back to this, would strongly recommend. It's up there with Life and Times of Michael K.

Finally read A Streetcar Named Desire yesterday. Dark, gritty and brilliantly written, with really sharp dialogue and I like the moral ambiguity running through it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Anybody read any books on Colditz POW camp during WW2?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Finished Piranesi by Susanna Clarke yesterday. Really enjoyed it!

The way the 'house' is described is very vivid and really makes you feel like you're in that world each time you pick the book up. I really enjoyed the journal entry chapter style to it as well and it helped make the main character Piranesi very likable and although naive it's in an endearing way and obviously makes sense due to the circumstances he finds himself in.

I always enjoy books that are a little bit different and 'out there'. Especially when you're unraveling the story as you go.