Television The Boys

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Think Soldier boy will take Home's powers and we will be treated to his coming to terms with the fact he is just a man now Don't think they will kill him. SB will become the new villain probably.
I think the final villain may end up being Butcher after his kill all supes speech in the most recent episodes

The Firestarter

I think the final villain may end up being Butcher after his kill all supes speech in the most recent episodes
Or Hughie. He seems like the one with enough complexes to actually turn into the next homelander.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Show does a massively ironic character people lap it up directly.
I thought this was going to be about Homelander, but it's about Blue Hawk? :lol:

You'd have to be so fecking far into the rabbit hole not to realize he's straight satire the first time he comes up. Never mind sitting through the speech thinking "this guy is really cool".

It's actually incredible people got this far into the show before they realized. It's like people who go onto gaming discussion forums and complain about the new woke trend of making games political, unlike all their old favourites. Fallout. Deus Ex. Wolfenstein. BioShock. Warhammer 40K. Unpolitical games.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I keep seeing this thread and thinking it is about me and then being let down.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I thought this was going to be about Homelander, but it's about Blue Hawk? :lol:

You'd have to be so fecking far into the rabbit hole not to realize he's straight satire the first time he comes up. Never mind sitting through the speech thinking "this guy is really cool".

It's actually incredible people got this far into the show before they realized. It's like people who go onto gaming discussion forums and complain about the new woke trend of making games political, unlike all their old favourites. Fallout. Deus Ex. Wolfenstein. BioShock. Warhammer 40K. Unpolitical games.
Deus Ex is the most wonderful game ever made and will never be topped!

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I wouldn't go as high as that but it's a great great game indeed. Such an interesting story
I think it was so good that they had to downgrade certain aspects of it for the 15yr later sequel (Invisible War doesn't count) such as the full body health counter where you could end up crawling on broken legs or the points system or the hacking system.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Are we supposed to like SB or not?
I think so? He can go a lot of ways. Hero, antihero, sympathetic villain, psychotic villain. The guy playing him is doing a decent job, anyway, which I think helps. The casting for this show really is spot on.

Or people who complained that Star Wars - a story inspired by the Vietnam War of all things - suddenly became woke and political because they put a wimmin in a prominent role. And I'm not talking about the ones who hide behind the "I support strong female characters *insert picture of Ripley from Alien*" but the ones who immediately hated that their entire world came crashing down simply because the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy didn't have a huge flapping cock.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Media illiteracy doesn't just apply to films and TV either:

Amarsdd

wtf were these people thinking watching the first two seasons if now is when they complain about The Boys being political.

Fully Fledged

wtf were these people thinking watching the first two seasons if now is when they complain about The Boys being political.
Feck'd if I know.
I mean It is a lot more in your face with the Fox, NRA and Proud Boys parodies this season I guess. I think it's hilarious but then I was always in on the joke. The Pepsi Max Commercial cracked me up.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Incredible season so far, absolutely topnotch tele.

Surely this is the year that Starr lands some major awards for Homelander?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I mean it's definitely a woke TV series. It's taking direct shots at corporate culture, American exceptionalism, the alt-right, the all lives matter gang, right-wing media (and corporate media in general), etc. And that's perfectly fine with me.
I wouldn't really call The Boys a 'woke tv series', but I suppose that's the issue with 'woke', it means different things to different people.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I wouldn't really call The Boys a 'woke tv series', but I suppose that's the issue with 'woke', it means different things to different people.
It’s been taken from black culture and bastardised beyond recognition. Woke meant to open your eyes to things like racial prejudice but now people use it as a weapon to bat away anything remotely resembling human kindness or anything left wing.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It’s been taken from black culture and bastardised beyond recognition. Woke meant to open your eyes to things like racial prejudice but now people use it as a weapon to bat away anything remotely resembling human kindness or anything left wing.
The boys definitely isn't "woke" just because they touch on current events. It's ridicules far right ideology and therefore fits the modern pejorative meaning of woke.

As an aside, I call people who've adopted "alt"right terminology and insults ***** in my day to day life.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The boys definitely isn't "woke" just because they touch on current events. It's ridicules far right ideology and therefore fits the modern pejorative meaning of woke.

As an aside, I call people who've adopted "alt"right terminology and insults ***** in my day to day life.
Yeah the word they’re looking for is satire.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It will never be not funny to see right wingers realise they are the machine that was being raged against. Somehow it took 30 years, which is even funnier.
Great answer by Tom Morello. And yes it is hilarious like you say. :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I love how this show takes the piss out of right wing America, but I like my satire a little less on the nose if I'm honest.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I love how this show takes the piss out of right wing America, but I like my satire a little less on the nose if I'm honest.
You say that, but there are loads of right-wingers who didn't realize this was satire until last episode. Many still don't, no doubt.

It's barely over the top any more, compared to reality. Actually, take out the superheroes and it might be downright grounded.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You say that, but there are loads of right-wingers who didn't realize this was satire until last episode. Many still don't, no doubt.

It's barely over the top any more, compared to reality. Actually, take out the superheroes and it might be downright grounded.
That's say quite true. Gunpowder talks about the globalist agenda and Soros which is word for word what these Trumpist republicans say.

I get that some lunatics are so thicj they don't realize it's satire, but for me it's a bit on the nose.

I enjoy the show though. Homelander is such a fantastic psychopath. And he looks like Jason Bateman's evil twin.

Hamnat

I think the fact that the satire might feel so "on the nose" sometimes goes to how insane and crazy the actual rhetoric is. That even in a fictional show with superheroes it's hard to go farther than reality right now.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It still works in part because of how good Homelander is, amongst other things.

I‘m not surprised they’re just now realizing it is satire. These people I’m surrounded by could come away from Dr. Strangelove not realizing it’s a black comedy and thinking the warhawk generals were the heroes.

ColvaleGoa

I really don't know what "Herogasm"(the next one) episode is going to be all about.???

I think this episode will absolutely hit it out of the ballpark with regards to boundaries! This will be seismic!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Just got through series 1 this weekend. Where have I been?? Always saw the thumbnails on Prime and skipped over them until my barber persuaded me to watch it. I didn't jump on the Game of Thrones train until series 4 so had to binge watch that too.

I'm such a fool!

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Just got through series 1 this weekend. Where have I been?? Always saw the thumbnails on Prime and skipped over them until my barber persuaded me to watch it. I didn't jump on the Game of Thrones train until series 4 so had to binge watch that too.

I'm such a fool!
Lengthy post just to brag about how cool your barber is.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I forgot that the seasons are 8 episodes long and not 6, thinking this week was the finale.

Wow, we have a lot of major things still to come. Love it