Music The Brightest Flame Burns Quickest

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nirvana was the first rock band that I was absolutely crazy about in my teens and hence one that always held a special place for me.

Now, having shape shifted as I've gotten older when it comes to musical tastes, I've been going back to some of those artists (mainly rock and a bit of metal, which was my thing then) and I realised that Nirvana only released three albums over a four year duration. Given their importance to the popular culture and enormous following, their impact relative to time seems absurd.

Any other similar artists /actors/filmmakers /writers/sportsman whose body of work is small but left a giant impact?

(subject is shit, I know, maybe thread too)

IrishRick

John Cazale the actor, Fredo from The Godfather, made 8 films before he died. Four of which were the first 2 Godfathers, Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter. Thats some hit rate

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Sex Pistols released their first single in November 1976, with a few more coming before the album came out in October 1977, and by the end of January 1978, they were done. Their cultural impact was enormous, even if their music hasn't aged particularly well, and their legacy has continually been pissed on, usually by Lydon himself.

Minor Threat also. 3 EPs and 1 album in 3 years. Groundbreaking for hardcore and the whole DIY ethos.

Last edited:

Tarrou

John Cazale the actor, Fredo from The Godfather, made 8 films before he died. Four of which were the first 2 Godfathers, Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter. Thats some hit rate
It was only five I think? and the other one was The Conversation is isn't too shabby either!

amolbhatia50k

Good call. He's been in some absolute classics

amolbhatia50k

Sex Pistols released their first single in November 1976, with a few more coming before the album came out in October 1977, and by the end of January 1978, they were done. Their cultural impact was enormous, even if their music hasn't aged particularly well, and their legacy has continually been pissed on, usually by Lydon himself.

Minor Threat also. 3 EPs and 1 album in 3 years. Groundbreaking for hardcore and the whole DIY ethos.
Never really got into them but sounds a lot like Nirvana's run although maybe not as global (?). Will check em out, I must have heard a bit before.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Minor Threat. Produced one album and some EPs in the early 80s and that's it, but they're seen as an early great of hardcore punk. (Referenced by Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip in Thou Shalt Always Kill!) Not my personal favorite, but anyway.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nick Drake. Three albums in the space of four years but very influential since.

Joy Division an obvious one with just two albums as well.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Biggie only had one studio album release in his lifetime. His second album was released 2 weeks after his death.

marktan

One Direction. 4 albums in 4 years, all number 1 in the US.

IrishRick

It was only five I think? and the other one was The Conversation is isn't too shabby either!
You are spot on actually. I had a check of his IMDB when I originally posted this and it listed 8 acting credits. However one was a short, another was an episode of N.Y.P.D. and the third was The Godfather Saga where they butchered the movies so they could be played for TV. So bang on, its 5 movies. Incredible. I have never seen The Conversation but now know I have to