The Casemiro/Mount/Bruno midfield

Lecland07

We signed Mount because we want to, essentially, play two attacking midfielders, which I thought was pretty obvious. Ten Hag wants the players to play with a high press up the pitch, with Mount and Fernandes pushed up near the box.

The issue with the game with Wolves is that the passing quality and decision making was terrible.

Mount made some good runs into the box in the first half, but was ignored every time. It isn't going to work unless the players actually make the correct choices, but, then again, no formation will work if they continue to make poor choices.

If the players actually pass properly and choose not to make stupid passes, I think it will work.

Litch

Not completely convinced but thats pretty much my view of everything except the defence. The static forward line and our poor wingers dont help.

Smores

We signed Mount because we want to, essentially, play two attacking midfielders, which I thought was pretty obvious. Ten Hag wants the players to play with a high press up the pitch, with Mount and Fernandes pushed up near the box.

The issue with the game with Wolves is that the passing quality and decision making was terrible.

Mount made some good runs into the box in the first half, but was ignored every time. It isn't going to work unless the players actually make the correct choices, but, then again, no formation will work if they continue to make poor choices.

If the players actually pass properly and choose not to make stupid passes, I think it will work.
Nearly every formation will work wonders if all passing is superb. Issue is creating a system that allows for the passing to be successful and we didn't have that against Wolves. Casemiro can't be expected to play playmaker whilst surrounded without support. Go wide and our players are goal scorers not creators.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Casemuno will be a short lived thing. Trouble is Mount is the only droppable one of the three.

Highfather_24

Our right side of defence sucks at progressing the ball. Get Amrabat in at DM, and suddenly more balls will be played into Mount/Bruno, same with a ball playing RB/RCB.

Lecland07

Nearly every formation will work wonders if all passing is superb. Issue is creating a system that allows for the passing to be successful and we didn't have that against Wolves. Casemiro can't be expected to play playmaker whilst surrounded without support. Go wide and our players are goal scorers not creators.
I think it is is there, but the players just chose to do some ridiculous things. I can think of countless poor decisions from the first half alone:

Antony passing to Fernandes when he is surrounded by 6 players when he had loads of space to run into ahead. Like what was he even thinking Fernandes would do there?

Garnacho cutting in multiple times. One time he ignored Rashford on the wing, who could have crossed it; another time, Mount got in behind the defence, but Garnacho refused to pass it. Instead, he ended up losing the ball.

Fernandes made a poor pass to Antony, who is running towards a packed defence. I don't really get what Fernandes was think Antony was going to do, even if the pass was good. It was just poor play that led to a loss of possession again.

The more mistakes you make, the more pressure there will be. It will also make the opposition more confident because of the Manutd's utter stupidity.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Was it player's confusion? I don't think AWB bombing forward on the right side at every opportunity was on him. It looked like he's just following instruction. Then like you said, it caused defensive instability (plus Case and Martinez didn't look match fit).

If this will be EtH's formation going forward, then that's Pavard interest does make sense. Otherwise if we go back to regular 4-2-3-1, then we really need attacking RB.
The problem in possession wasn't that AWB was bombing forward because that was the plan depending on which side we were actively building the play through.

The actual problem again started from deeper if we're to focus on our in-possession play. Onana had no problem finding the pass but Wolves were setup in such a way out of possesion that their pressing traps centred around leaving both AWB and Casemiro in space to receive the pass whilst cutting off the passing lanes to the other players. So when the ball would go to AWB it would trigger the Wolves press and he'd either keep passing back to Onana or the pass in-field to Casemiro was a possibility. But the issue with the pass to Casemiro was that it seemed like Wolves were intentionally leaving him in space, so the pass from either Onana or AWB is played into him and Wolves could then press him. Onana it seems read the situation and kept going to AWB and also played a lovely ping to Garnacho in one sequence which Garnacho failed to control. But when AWB played the ball into Casemiro, the Wolves players pounced on him and the pressing trap worked because Casemiro isn't the best at playing on the half turn against the opponent's press. And that there was a big problem and one of the big reasons we kept getting stuck in deeper areas of the pitch.

It's why it's very important to have fullbacks who can help progress play vertically and why the links to Pavard make sense. But we also require a first phase midfielder who is comfortable at receiving the ball on the half turn. Someone like Amrabat who we're linked to has the potential to be that player for us. And players like that can alleviate pressure of someone like AWB if he has the option of playing the ball into someone like a Amrabat, Bennacer or even a Alan Varela who is comfortable playing in confined spaces. This is the type of player we need and hopefully Kobbie Mainoo is back soon aswell, because he has qualities that we also lack.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
How highly do you rate Amrabat? A stop gap or along term starter material? Looks like a squad player to me albeit he appears to have qualities we need.
I think he'll do a good job. Wasn't my first choice, would've preferred Caicedo or Rabiot but he's the most realistic option at the moment.

Mount if anything should be the squad player. If our midfield stays as it is then we'll struggle to win many games or just limp to victories.

cyril C

Casemuno will be a short lived thing. Trouble is Mount is the only droppable one of the three.
Why should that be a surprise? Assuming we stick with 4231, with Casemiro the ONLY DMF, there is a lot of risk taking even when he is fully fit and 100%. I accept the formation against Wolves because it was a home game, and Wolves is supposedly a mid-bottom table team. Do you think we will survive, away to Spur?

Mount is at best a replacement/backup to Eriksen, the decision I respect. Against better team, away, away to Europe, I would expect 2 DMF to win the MF.

AndyMUFC86

I personally have my worries about the make up of our new look midfield and the balance it of but before I completely rule it out we need to see it a hell of a lot more than 1 game.

Just a reminder that after 2 games of last year most people felt Martinez would need to be moved to midfield and he proved a lot of fans wrong (me being one). So let’s all be patient and see how this plays out over the next 10/15 games.

RuudTom83

Their second game coming up, away from home, against Spurs, who on paper are better than Wolves.

Lets see what they can do with another weeks training. :devil:

Cathy Ferguson

I personally have my worries about the make up of our new look midfield and the balance it of but before I completely rule it out we need to see it a hell of a lot more than 1 game.

Just a reminder that after 2 games of last year most people felt Martinez would need to be moved to midfield and he proved a lot of fans wrong (me being one). So let’s all be patient and see how this plays out over the next 10/15 games.
Personally I prefer to give 10/15 games to a new setup that makes sense on paper. The idea of pairing an agening Casemiro with Bruno and Mount does not make much sense. To me it is crazy. But here we are so let us hope and pray that it works. We also have the issues of an unproven no 9 and a poor right hand side. ETH must have some balls.

worldinmotion66

I think Ten Hag expected to play this trio against the weaker sides and wolves were unexpectedly good in and out of possession, and tactically very well set up in creating a central overload. It’s given other weaker teams a blueprint of how to play against us.

I think we’re likely to see one of Mount or Bruno playing wide against the better teams. With Mount wide left and tucking infield to create an overload while Rashford drifts left and finds more space (a la Thierry Henry). At least that should be considered until Martial/Hojlund is fit

oreon

Not going to work.
Personally I prefer to give 10/15 games to a new setup that makes sense on paper. The idea of pairing an agening Casemiro with Bruno and Mount does not make much sense. To me it is crazy. But here we are so let us hope and pray that it works. We also have the issues of an unproven no 9 and a poor right hand side. ETH must have some balls.
No need to give 10 games when its that obvious it won't work. Two games and a blind man can see UTD midfield is way too open and we allow way too many chances. We need another holding midfielder. If we don't get one, Ten Hag will be forced to play McTominay. I don't see how we can get top 4 again with how open we are with the current setup. Especially when we are a team that won't score a lot of goals.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Bruno on the right needs to fecking die pronto. Dumb decisions all round

Renegade

The Mount transfer was a serious mistake. His a number 10 that played his best football as part of a front 3.

Godfather

Don't think there is a less balanced midfield in the PL. This won't work. Although I'm not sure any line up with Mount will work. I have no idea what he actually does. What an incredibly stupid signing.

GMoore23

He's totally fecked up with the Mount signing and Fred sale . It'll be the end of him if he's too stubborn to admit it.

Idxomer

Shouldn't have sold Fred.

He is seriously a better midfielder than anyone remaining in the squad bar Casemiro if he gets fit.

Malone_Post

Spent £55 million on Mount. Sold Fred for peanuts.

And we have a worse midfield. Genius.

The Irish Connection

The Mount transfer was a serious mistake. His a number 10 that played his best football as part of a front 3.
was so obvious too. have to say alarm bells are ringing about ten hags choice of transfers.
but it's irrelevant when the leaching fool owners are still dragging the club through the mud.

Seveneric

It’s subtle genius and all of you tactical plebs just can’t see it yet. Trust the manager unconditionally!

Dannn411

If we don't sign at least a midfielder by the end of the window, we are in serious danger of finishing outside the top 6 this year.

edgecutter

Mental signing Mount. Made no sense chasing after him and makes zero sense persisting with that midfield.

Infestissumam

if ten Hag ever gets this trio working, he deserves a freaking statue. I just don't see it, there's zero balance or chemistry. It's early, but Mount looks like a serious mistake on our part.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
if ten Hag ever gets this trio working, he deserves a freaking statue. I just don't see it, there's zero balance or chemistry. It's early, but Mount looks like a serious mistake on our part.
A statue for cleaning the mess he created?

OverratedOpinion

Where is @tomaldinho1

I will hold my hands up, we debated this alot when Mount signed. I believed it would be an upgrade. I think I seriously underrated Eriksen as a partner for Casemiro. I apologise.

I still trust Ten Hag but unless there is something we are not seeing that can click very, very quickly then our midfield until we sign someone has to be Casemiro, Bruno and either Eriksen or even McTominay.