The centre-forward market...

croadyman

It seems that the worst mistake we can make in January is to bring in someone average on a multi-year contract. I'd rather sign no one and head into the summer with an open spot in the squad for a star player and - I assume - new owners eager to make the club competitive again and spend money on an exciting striker signing.

If we do sign someone on loan, it really doesn't need to be someone incredible. A striker who can play the way ETH wants and chip in with a few goals would already be a clear upgrade on Ronaldo.
Morata could be that guy

Andy Parker

Supports
Siena
I think Andrea Pinamonti of Saasuolo could be a perfect number 9 for us. Watched him for some time and thought he'd be good, and also good age profile.

Gurtej

We need a Henrik Larsson type signing for 6 months….if we somehow get it, we will definitely finish top 4….

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We definitely need either a winger or a forward this January. We can't rely on the rotation of Rashford, Martial, Antony and Garnacho + Elanga who barely contributes to be enough to cover both wings and attack, and there don't seem to be any more ready now players in our youth teams to make a leap like Garnacho has. I'd probably prefer a stop gap signing, someone who can cover 10-15 games between now and the end of season as we more than likely won't be able to bring a long term solution in the middle of the season anyway. A friend of mine suggested Pukki and I'd even be happy with that.

Il_Cecchino

Supports
Hellas Verona
Marcus Thuram. Cheap (10m, because he is free in june) and can also plays on the wing.

Hester_manc

Great shout but as croady says, he will not available on a loan & we would need a lot of cash to persuade Fulham to sell.
I thought about that too. But on the other hand, if PSV was willing to sell Gakpo, why should a club like Fulham not be willing to sell Mitrovic? He will for sure cost more now than in the summer, but if we really want to compete for top 4, we need a striker more.

croadyman

I thought about that too. But on the other hand, if PSV was willing to sell Gakpo, why should a club like Fulham not be willing to sell Mitrovic? He will for sure cost more now than in the summer, but if we really want to compete for top 4, we need a striker more.
I just feel we need a short loan deal to see us through to the summer,then provided we get top 4 go all in for a top striker in the summer.

Last edited:

CM

PSV had financial difficulties and needed to sell. Fulham don't have those problems. It's a non-starter anyway as we aren't going to spend this window.

Strelok

Just cannot see Fulham letting their best striker go right in the middle of season
Tbh I'd like someone like Weghorst. Tall, strong, cheap, good header, can score a bit. But he's currently already on loan so not possible.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Willing to sell or not, we couldn't get Gakpo done due to lack of funds, how then are we supposed to get Mitrovic?

Bondi77

Jonathan David sounds like he wants a move so I suppose it comes down to if we have the money spare or not and if Erik likes him.

MrSingh2002

Ohsimen
Mitrovic
Vlahovic
Schick
Morata
Thuram

Out of the above it's probably only Morata, Thuram and Vlahovic who are available in January if the Juventus financial difficulties are to be believed.

And out of those I'd think Vlahovic is the only CF you might to see have a long career here so if it's going to be a January signing I'd go for Vlahovic.

If Ohsimen, Mitrovic or Vlahovic were going to be available in the summer then I'd just take any ST on a no obligation loan for 6 months and hopefully Martial can stay healthy for the most.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Marcus Thuram. Cheap (10m, because he is free in june) and can also plays on the wing.
Not a terrible option but I expect him to move to a team in a tier or two below us, like Everton or Fulham or go play somewhere in Italy or Spain. We almost never grab any of these value signings anyway and would probably be more likely to buy him if he were available for £75m than we are at £10m.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Not a fan of expensive loans. Fee plus salary for Felix would be around 15 mil. 15 mil for having him 6 months.

Cathy Ferguson

Jonathan David sounds like he wants a move so I suppose it comes down to if we have the money spare or not and if Erik likes him.
If we couldn't afford Gakpo then we can't afford David. It will most likely be a loan, or Thuram or Moukoko on the cheap.

Savings on Ronaldo's wages will be ca 15m so that is our budget unless we sell Maguire or Henderson. We are skint and we keep overpaying for players.

Drizzle

Not a fan of expensive loans. Fee plus salary for Felix would be around 15 mil. 15 mil for having him 6 months.
It's pretty much exactly what we'd be paying to continue playing a finished Ronaldo for the rest of the season, so consider it an upgrade at zero additional net cost.

It's pretty much exactly what we'd be paying to continue playing a finished Ronaldo for the rest of the season, so consider it an upgrade at zero additional net cost.
I totally agree with this. I do think however there is a game of chicken going on between Utd,Chelsea, Arsenal and Atleitico. Atletico are holding out for their price and no-one is willing to bite....yet. If we get to the second or third week of January and one of the three clubs gets another injury or a couple of bad results someone will bite. Otherwise if we get to the fourth week of January and no-one has paid the price Atletico may drop the price by 3-4 million.
Personally I think holding on for 4 weeks to try to save 3-4 million is not always the wisest, especially if you lose two or three games in that period and miss out on champions league but it does seem to be our MO.

userman

Trouble is Morata and Felix scored for Atletico last night, can they afford to let goalscorers go?
Mrata has started 13 out of 15 league matches, and was subbed on in the remaining two. Can't see why they would be interested in loaning him to us.
In addition to that Wolves are signing Cunha.
Struggling to see either of Morata or Felix really being attainable.

mu4c_20le

Ten Hag has said it has to be the right signing. It sounds like he knows who he wants, if that player becomes available, we will sign them. Loan or Buy
Actually he said the signing has to match the sporting criteria as well as financial. It sounds more like he understood Gakpo was too expensive and that we have to look for value.

Red Royal

Why does everyone keep saying this like its facts? Have I missed something apart from Youtubers and paper talk? It sounds like clickbait nonsense
We didn't get Gapko (debatable if we needed him or not) media see that as we could not stump up money, whereas it could just be ETH has seen Garnacho as well as Amad and thinks there is more suitabl #9s to be had.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Ten Hag has said it has to be the right signing. It sounds like he knows who he wants, if that player becomes available, we will sign them. Loan or Buy
Wasn't Gakpo the right signing? If not, why were we linked with him so strongly and for so long?

Strange outcome if it was solely down to the fee, but maybe even stranger if it wasn't.

Many of us were not convinced by Gakpo, but ETH did appear to be so set on him, personally i was more than a little surprised when he didn't join.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wasn't Gakpo the right signing? If not, why were we linked with him so strongly and for so long?

Strange outcome if it was solely down to the fee, but maybe even stranger if it wasn't.

Many of us were not convinced by Gakpo, but ETH did appear to be so set on him, personally i was more than a little surprised when he didn't join.
We wanted to spread the costs over a number of years, PSV needed the cash up front to pay debts. We have zero cash.

Liverpool could pay them what they wanted now, so they won the deal.

I don't think people are realising just how bad our finances are. There is a reason the Glazers are selling now.