The changing perception of our former players

Smores

The only ex-players I've really disliked were Hughes, Savage, Giggs. Savage has changed his tune in regards to us so he's forgiven but you just felt he had beef before.

I don't see a reason to dislike the rest based on lack of competency or different opinions. They're fans at the end of the day and fans have different opinions, Scholes probably wouldn't even get promoted on here.

Neville is an odd one as he's playing a role that sometimes means he isn't just sharing honest opinions. He has no need to slag us off for cash but i think he's just trying to be the best pundit he can be, driven that he is.

CloneMC16

The only one that has disappointed me is Giggs. For obvious reasons. I dislike him now. The rest, my opinion hasn't really changed. Someone not being good at their punditry job shouldn't be a reason to dislike them. I mean. Neville is one of the best pundits on tv. Probably the best. I can't dislike him. He makes MNF much more enjoyable to watch. Him and Carragher are great together. I think both of them have changed the punditry game. Nobody is close to their level. The rest need to step up.

It's sad that many of our fans will never see Ole in the same light again. Especially younger fans that didn't experience 1999. He's a legend at this club, and his manager stint shouldn't change that. I wanted him to leave at the time, but I will never dislike him. He seems like a good guy. Carrick is no different. He's one of my favourite ever players. My account here is dedicated to him. He'd have to do a Giggs for me to dislike him. I don't get the dislike for Fletcher. Nobody outside of the club really knows what he's doing. The speculation about him are all conspiracy theories. You have no reason to dislike him.

I understand why people's perceptions of our ex players has changed since they started appearing on tv. Especially since a lot of them didn't want to say much about Ole. I can see it from their pov, though. I get that it's their job to be impartial, but it's got to be hard to go in on a friend on national tv. I've never been in that position, and most likely never will, but it has to be hard.

Social media is probably making some of this worse. Everything they say gets magnified and reposted for everybody to see. If you're on tv every week, and posting online, you'll probably say something to upset people at some point.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Van Der Sar looks to be the only one whose demeanor stay the same after retiring as a footballer. Still classy, rocking suits., respectable and mature, calm and composed.
:lol:

Hate to burst your bubble, but VDS's instagram vlogs are cringe.

More importantly, he tried to extend the contract of his mate after he had learnt his mate was harassing female employees.
Ajax have been scandal ridden under his watch and he's handled some of it poorly.

:(

sifi36

This might seem like conspiracy thinking, but has anyone else noticed how negative some of our ex-players have been about some of the recent developments at the club?

Nicky Butt feels he was passed over for the Football Director role in favour of Murtough and subsequently left the club. Once Solskjaer was sacked, our former players have questioned some or all of the decision making that has followed:

- They all wanted Pochettino, when it was clear Murtough and Rangnick wanted Ten Hag.
- Scholes’ assessment of Rangnick’s interim performance whilst he defended Solskjaer unequivocally.
- Neville “not being excited” about Ten Hag.
- Neville saying Lawlor had already been marginalised after his sacking.

They don’t like that they’re being frozen out and they can feel their influence on the club waning. I think they’ll have the knives out for Ten Hag pretty quickly if we don’t make a fast start next season.

SB16

I think anyone who claims to "hate" or "despise" Ole -- one of the greatest players at our club who created some of our most cherished memories -- solely because they don't think he was a good manager is just weird, really.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Apart from Giggs’ current ongoing case, nothing else bothers me. I never expected them to be bright or intelligent off the pitch.
The increased reporting on everything, social media etc. has had a huge effect, otherwise just as Giggs is not in the useless Hall of Fame, Best wouldn’t have a statue outside OT.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

More importantly, he tried to extend the contract of his mate after he had learnt his mate was harassing female employees.
Ajax have been scandal ridden under his watch and he's handled some of it poorly.

He's a boomer what do you expect from his vlogs?

No one is perfect and a few mistakes here and there is okay, granted being connected to sexual harassment is always bad.
The other ex players made everything a mistake, not only a few. To me he's still the same old VDS. Compare to Scholes who was a quiet legendary midfielder but is now showing the world how dumb he is.

BuzzKillington

I’d say the issue is the idiots on this forum rather than the players mentioned or the spurious reasons for disliking them. A lot on here hate Scholes purely because he wasn’t rabidly anti-Ole like most on here. I don’t agree with everything he says, but generally do.

Neville is pretty much the only one that genuinely grinds my gears purely because his anti United bent is so transparently him trying to lean into showing he’s not biased. Something Carragher doesn’t seem to bother with.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
There were allegations against him too, lucky for him his ex partner didn’t want to go in the witness box
That killed his career at United imo. If he didn't have those allegations against him I reckon he would've got Fletcher's role.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
Apart from Giggs my perception of all of them is still really positive.

Scholes and Ole are my two favourite footballers of all time, and I like the United way. I am conscious of how tribalistic my views are, but I honestly don't care about football outside of Manchester United.

I am skeptical about the new manager and will always regard the views of United legends above all others.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I think we're just all pissed off with football, for obvious reasons.

EDIT: Bar Giggs obviously, he's a scumbag.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Based on him hardly talking about the club on social media, or anywhere else. Admittedly I don’t follow him but he seems to keep himself to himself on Twitter in general. You just don’t read many opinions from him about anything. What social media does he use heavily? Instagram?
Becks is still publicity hungry - just that he doesn’t need United or Sky for it - so he only posts or says good/positive lines about United and football in general, nothing controversial.

youngrell

I have no idea why Scholes continues to work for BT (or why they continue to employ him) because he quite clearly doesn't enjoy it. You only need to see his Instagram posts to see he isn't as dour as he appears when doing punditry. I very much doubt he needs the money, either. Weird as hell to me that he persists with it but it hasn't changed my opinion of him one bit.

Same as for the other guys. Ince is probably the only one that has annoyed me even slightly.

Modern fans who diminish these guys' careers annoys me far more.

Denis79

Isn't it interesting the the ones that were involved in 'scandals' during their playing careers, the ones you thought would be more 'cnutish' when they retired aren't? Rooney, Evra, Cantona, Berbatov, Beckham etc.

Dan-Utd

The way I see it is... most of our ex players who are constantly getting paid to talk about the club... all think because they played under Sir Alex Ferguson and did good things on the pitch - that they know best.

Gary Neville and Roy Keane are often critical and blunt, but they also give praise where it's due, one of the things with them two is when they disagree with something they do seem to suggest an alternative idea etc, where as the likes of Scholes, he will say something without offering up an alternative and seems a bit like 'er... er... er'

If Keane owned a club and sacked the manager - he'd have an alternative interim or permanent manager lined up ready to step in.
If Scholes owned a club and sacked the manager - he'd be in a mess dashing around trying to get someone in on a whim.

Bottom line is most of them are getting paid purely because they used to play for us - a very rare few of them are being paid because they provide good insight and a balanced opinion about Manchester United and other clubs.

baskinginthesun

It seems that ex-players that have left football to some extent have kept their reputations in tact for the most part.

Cantona is an actor in France and doesnt comment on football much these days it seems. Beckham has moved into being a brand and business. Stays relevant enough by being an owner in the MLS but, he doesnt need to be the face of football anymore.

Speako

I quite like that they are all on TV, warts and all. Otherwise I’d simply be left listening to the rambling thoughts of Lineker, Shearer, and ex Liverpool players.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’d say the issue is the idiots on this forum rather than the players mentioned or the spurious reasons for disliking them. A lot on here hate Scholes purely because he wasn’t rabidly anti-Ole like most on here. I don’t agree with everything he says, but generally do.

Neville is pretty much the only one that genuinely grinds my gears purely because his anti United bent is so transparently him trying to lean into showing he’s not biased. Something Carragher doesn’t seem to bother with.
I guess it's a lot harder for Neville because what has he got to say good things about? Carragher has had it piss easy the last few years. Never really has to be critical of his own team and can just sit back and objectively analyse everyone else shitter than them.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Isn't it interesting the the ones that were involved in 'scandals' during their playing careers, the ones you thought would be more 'cnutish' when they retired aren't? Rooney, Evra, Cantona, Berbatov, Beckham etc.
Berbatov had a scandal?

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Wait what? How did no one know about this???

VanHaal'sRedArmy

With the exception of Gaz and Roy everyone else in the class of 92 Era seem to be a bit of a loose cannon.

lsd

The Oracle
For me it's the class of 92 that seems to be the problem. Weirdly Beckham has become the only likeable member of that clique.

Scholes seemingly wants to be like Keane on TV but didn't have the charisma. Gary Neville is a joke who can't hide his bias of anyone who isn't English.

Phil Nevile as a pundit was even worse than Scholes

Hargreaves seems to ok and knows what he is talking about I really haven't seen much of Rio but he seems passionate about us and I can't recall him going over the top with an agenda the way Nevile and co have.

Giggs is what he is and I prefer to forget about him which is a shame but what he deserves

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I too don’t see why Neville gets shit. He’s a die hard United fan man and boy, gave his entire career to the club and it’s like all that never happened because he once said a thing you didn’t like.

Yeah he says some critical things about Manchester United FC now and again. Have you looked in the football forum lately? Real fans do it the most!

NICanRed

Loved Giggs and Scholes as players.
Giggs - enough said!
Scholes - I remember hearing that he didn't like speaking and didn't like the cameras. I wish he hadn't changed his mind.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's only the online communities like Caf where you will find people who have anything bad to say about our former players, to be honest. Most fans I meet in real life have nothing but respect for them. Sure, some might not agree with their opinions but that's hardly a reason to change your perception of a legend.

With regards to Ole, most people I know ( including myself) just feel sadness that it didn't work out with him, rather than having any ill-feeling towards him. It's mostly only on the Caf that I see vitriol aimed at him ( not gonna consider Twitter as a platform worthy of discussion).

So I'd say it's primarily just a very small portion of our fanbase that would have had any changed perception towards any of our legends.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
It's only the online communities like Caf where you will find people who have anything bad to say about our former players, to be honest. Most fans I meet in real life have nothing but respect for them. Sure, some might not agree with their opinions but that's hardly a reason to change your perception of a legend.

With regards to Ole, most people I know ( including myself) just feel sadness that it didn't work out with him, rather than having any ill-feeling towards him. It's mostly only on the Caf that I see vitriol aimed at him ( not gonna consider Twitter as a platform worthy of discussion).

So I'd say it's primarily just a very small portion of our fanbase that would have had any changed perception towards any of our legends.
Pretty much this. Online football fans are very different to match going fans(It’s also just easier to be a cnut online than in a stadium full of supporters).

Sparky Rhiwabon

I suppose this is inevitable to an extent because they became legends due to their ability at playing football above all else, not because of their managerial, coaching or punditry skill or, indeed, their personalities or human qualities.

Withnail

As others have said it's mostly only Giggs who's gone down in my estimation since retiring. Everyone else's legendary status, if they had it, is still intact.

Scholes is an awful pundit but I expected nothing less as he never liked the limelight and was always fairly monosyllabic. I probably had too high an opinion of Gary when he first became a pundit as he was a breath of fresh air. He does struggle with being objective around United and is absolutely insufferable on co-comm if we're having a bad day. I don't have much time for Rio. He's fine but I steer clear of his stuff as I just don't like his personality and Keane is entertaining for the most part.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
It's sad how dim many of them appear to be, except for Gary Neville who obviously isn't, and I'm sure will be successful in whatever fields he chooses to be involved in for decades to come. He is very emotional and that leads him to say stupid things at times, which is great, football is about emotion. He is also honest and will criticise United at times which a lot of fans can't take, which is a poor reflection on them rather than him as far as I am concerned.

Foxbatt

Ole is still loved and it's the Ole in crowd that makes people more vocal about him. Without that there won't be any thing or much against him. Apart from sadness.

arnie_ni

I think there's something wrong if you can't separate their playing careers from their post retirement careers.

Giggs of course is a different kettle of fish

lex talionis

On the whole it's best if we not think too much about these legends in the social media age, where a wrong foot will never be forgotten. They're playing careers were so brilliant there's no chance anything they could possibly do or say in their post-playing career that would stand up well to scrutiny.

tomaldinho1

Owen Hargreaves does my head in.
He'd be a great pundit if he didn't always seek validation from Scholes and Rio.

Scholes is just a bit thick which bothers me less than G Nev, who genuinely thinks he's the voice of the people now.

Hughes always annoyed me because he seemed so anti-United

Bondi77

Footballers are there to watch and not be listened to.
90% of them are as thick as shite anyway.

Hammondo

When you listen to someone like xavi there is just a huge difference in understanding about football, and that really doesn't help them.

BuzzKillington

I guess it's a lot harder for Neville because what has he got to say good things about? Carragher has had it piss easy the last few years. Never really has to be critical of his own team and can just sit back and objectively analyse everyone else shitter than them.
As a general jist and for post match analysis I agree with you. But in game when he’s co-comms it’s a complete shit-show. It’s never a penalty if it’s towards United, but he does the sucking his teeth if it’s against us. It’s a red card if it’s a United challenge, the opposition get the benefit of the doubt, etc etc…