The comprehensive Ronaldo thread

Theonas

Scout
I think for many it was always more about the story than about the football. Cristiano had this Rocky Balboa narrative that many loved. Messi's career was too straight forward for a long time and now gained a nice little climax at the end. I read an article a while ago that compared the Argentinian worship of Maradona to the Brazilian worship of Pelé which is less emotional and intense. The article blamed it on Pelé having basically no rough edges, being so professional and ideal that few could relate with him while Maradona was a man of the people with lots of flaws. People can relate with the latter far more. Messi in that sense with his quiet personality, linear career and discreet private life was more like Pelé and while Cristiano is pretty much the antithesis of Maradona in many points, he had this American dream narrative going for him as the "less talented" individual. I think what changed the minds of many people now is actually not that Messi proved to be the superior footballer but that he now has a relatable narrative going for him as well with his failures with Argentina, going through hard times and overcoming the obstacles to succeed at the very end.

Think this shows perfectly well how irrational we really are in our judgments.
Great post! The American dream narrative is really on point. Many relate to that. Ironically, it is a bit similar to Mourinho's narrative. His fans loved the personality and what he represented more than the football. The football was usually justified or even used to taunt opponents.

Very nicely put about Messi. I did feel a change in the perception about him and you captured perfectly. He has a story now and what a story!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The chant about him was different. Wasn't Viva Ronaldo. Must be the first time in over a decade.

troylocker

Terrible take. Ronaldo used to waltz past players for fun.
He didn't though. Most of his waltz, stepovers and tricks were designed to set up a nice little backpass without getting past anyone. Total showboat. He did dribble, but not to the extent your rosetinted memory has it. ;)

Ladron de redcafe

He didn't though. Most of his waltz, stepovers and tricks were designed to set up a nice little backpass without getting past anyone. Total showboat. He did dribble, but not to the extent your rosetinted memory has it. ;)
Yeah his career high for dribbles per 90 mins is 4.2 and even by 2009, he was all the way down to 2 dribbles per match, which is as pedestrian as can be.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Yeah, ask O'Shea how the showboating went on. You can lie everytime you want, but there's evidence all around to dismiss you.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
4.2 dribbles per 90 is a lot actually. Above 2 means the players dribbles a lot

Rolaholic

The same crowds who hung on his every move prior, he really fecked up :lol:

Haven't ever seen a player single handedly light their twilight and part of their legacy on fire and piss away so much built up goodwill the way he did in the last half of this year...

The fact all of it was done only to end up with zero offers around Europe and having to go to fecking Saudi Arabia as a result makes it one of the stupidest decisions ever from such a high profile athlete.

troylocker

Yeah, ask O'Shea how the showboating went on. You can lie everytime you want, but there's evidence all around to dismiss you.
I’m not saying he never dribbled, mate. He was a very exciting young player though. I’m sure you could find a full hour of juicy dribbles from him on internett if you wanted to without proving me wrong.

Robertd0803

The sad thing to me is he has done a wonderful job of dismantling his legacy pretty effectively in the last 2 months or so while Messi has pretty much cemented his.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I’m not saying he never dribbled, mate. He was a very exciting young player though. I’m sure you could find a full hour of juicy dribbles from him on internett if you wanted to without proving me wrong.
Ok then. ;)

Ladron de redcafe

But it's nowhere near the elites (Messi is the reference point), doing more than 6 dribbles a match at several points.
When 24 year old Ronaldo was doing 2 dribbles a game, it just puts into perspective the discrepancy between their dribbling, which was the point there.

Nobody is saying he couldn't dribble. He just couldn't dribble as well as the greatest dribblers on the planet, and there is no shame in that.

Ladron de redcafe

Pretty much. From2006-07 onwards, he only his best season was 3 dribbles a game. It isn't insignificant but nowhere near the best dribblers of this generation.

Ladron de redcafe

Stop with the random numbers nonsense please
https://m.allfootballapp.com/amp/ne...-recording-stats-Messi-1st-Hazard-2nd/2054051
Did Ronaldo shag your mother or something?
You do realize that you're listing cumulative stats here, don't you? :lol:
Instead of lashing out, wipe those tears and atleast look at the right stats if you're going to embarrass yourself responding.

I'm waiting for you to tell me how posting cumulative totals since 2006 "disproves" what I said, genius.

Last edited:

cyberman

Instead of lashing out, wipe those tears and atleast look at the right stats if you're going to embarrass yourself responding.

I'm waiting for you to tell me how posting cumulative totals fine 2006 "disproves" what I said, genius.
I’m posting actual numbers that have context that’s not hiding behind Messi…and the elites.
Might as well say Etc etc for the stretched point you’re making.
So. it’s video evidence and actual data being goal posted around that you’re dismissing but hey, open discussion and all that

Ladron de redcafe

I’m posting actual numbers that have context that’s not hiding behind Messi…and the elites.
Might as well say Etc etc for the stretched point you’re making.
So. it’s video evidence and actual data being goal posted around that you’re dismissing but hey, open discussion and all that
The actual data says that he only hit 3 dribbles a match once since 2006-2007. The elites were hitting 5 to 6 dribbles a game for multiple seasons. So yes, the evidence points that he lagged behind them.

Posting cumulative totals is not "context". But keep posting random clips if you like.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
You either didn’t watch him or are selecting a few memories. He would definitely waltz past players his chop alone was stunning back in the day.

Woodworm!

I'm waiting for you to tell me how posting cumulative totals since 2006 "disproves" what I said, genius.
I agree the poster you replied to hasn't factored in longevity with cumulative stats, especially since 2006, anyone playing for 16 years is naturally going to feature higher. I do get what some posters are saying he certainly wasn't just a kick and run merchant, maybe a tier or two below the elite dribblers of the game

Ladron de redcafe

I agree the poster you replied to hasn't factored in longevity with cumulative stats, especially since 2006, anyone playing for 16 years is naturally going to feature higher. I do get what some posters are saying he certainly wasn't just a kick and run merchant, maybe a tier or two below the elite dribblers of the game
Yeah, he's in the middle ground between the two. Just find it funny to see a few of his cult followers take umbrage with how inaccurate it is to call him a kick and run merchant, while engaging in the same revisionist history and trying put him with the best dribblers of the last generation when the stats show that he's not in that tier.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Indeed.

Idk why people are obsessed with dribbling stats anyways, Adama Traore dribbles a lot, and only a person with cognitive issues would choose him over Ronaldo as a player.

Dribbling and having no end product is like being handsome, but at the same time being a manlet and having irreversible erectile dysfunction.

Hazard, a great player, also dribbles more than Ronaldo, and Ronaldo is the superior player.

Last edited:

Donut

Do people think he’s going to tear up the Saudi league? I don’t think he will.

cyberman

Isn’t averaging out dribbles per game an accumulative stat as well though? A stat that falls away when he aged and changed his game for the past 6/7 years?!

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Isn’t averaging out dribbles per game an accumulative stat as well though? A stat that falls away when he aged and changed his game for the past 6/7 years?!
Who have more dribbles than Ronaldo per 90 mins since 2006-2007?

I mean aside from Messi, Neymar and Hazard, which are the obvious ones.

Ribery maybe, i don't see any other though.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Who have more dribbles than Ronaldo per 90 mins since 2006-2007?

I mean aside from Messi, Neymar and Hazard, which are the obvious ones.

Ribery maybe, i don't see any other though.
Robben, inesta.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Where can I see the list?

Dribbles per 90 list, cause i already saw the one showing accumulative dribbles.
Dont have a pr 90. Just taken from whoscored. A lot of younger players than Ronaldo there have a higher total conpleted dribbles(also Ronaldo has the lowest completed dribble succesrate) so its not really a surprsie they averaged more dribbles pr game.

Nicolarra90

You either didn’t watch him or are selecting a few memories. He would definitely waltz past players his chop alone was stunning back in the day.
But the chop is a kind of kick and run... A trickier one though, but still.

Threesus

Shame it ended the way it did, but I am forever grateful to him and Rooney for making me fall in love with united.

Greck

He wasn't Messi but he was a good dribbler, a damn good one. He was a trickster when he first got here, he even overdid it with the stepovers. He absolutely beat players for fun. Back then there were still questions about their effectiveness against tougher defenders but apart from that he was definitely taking and beating his man. It still thrived in a time where wide players were more midfielders than forwards.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

The same crowds who hung on his every move prior, he really fecked up :lol:

Haven't ever seen a player single handedly light their twilight and part of their legacy on fire and piss away so much built up goodwill the way he did in the last half of this year...

The fact all of it was done only to end up with zero offers around Europe and having to go to fecking Saudi Arabia as a result makes it one of the stupidest decisions ever from such a high profile athlete.
Sad thing is they'll never get to sing it whilst he's on the pitch, now that he's holed up in the Middle East.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I dont care about Ronny
I only care about Rooney
He went to shag a granny
But he is a legend so its alrighty

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Remove that name on the shirt and mosiac the face, you would have thought it was Lukaku

Can see why Juventus fans thought he was a liability despite his goals