The Culture Wars

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
America’s top scientists warn about the political erosion of education standards

The last few years have seen a proliferation of “open letters” by academics in politics and the humanities in favor of progressive causes. The hard sciences are different, and when mathematicians, physicists and engineers speak up to defend the integrity of their fields, Americans should pay attention.

The latest example is a new public statement from hundreds of the country’s top quantitative scientists warning about the assault on math in schools. “We write to express our alarm over recent trends in K-12 mathematics education in the United States,” the statement begins. The social-justice wave of 2020 accelerated efforts to eliminate standardized testing and lower standards in math to give the appearance that achievement gaps don’t exist.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/defend...ation-california-k12-math-matters-11638728196

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Standardised testing doesn't improve maths. It means we teach kids to pass the tests rather than concentrating on teaching the foundations of maths.
Worth noting the open letter makes no reference to standardised testing too. It's entirely about access to more advanced maths classes. The testing bit is just something the WSJ is trying to push in to the narrative.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Just read the letter. It says nothing about the "social justice wave of 2020" or "standardised testing" - clever of the WSJ to put it right next to the actual quote! There's two major problems noted- proposed changes to the syllabus in California, and the replacement of maths with data science - the second one is the kind of practical job-related coursework the WSJ's base would support, and hence finds zero mention in the article.

So much for "Americans should pay attention" to "scientists speaking up".

Anyway, I had one year of schooling with American textbooks, and they were learning in 7th standard maths what Indians learnt in 4th and 5th. This was in 2003. Shudder to think what California is doing if they're dropping standards further.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Just read the letter. It says nothing about the "social justice wave of 2020" or "standardised testing" - clever of the WSJ to put it right next to the actual quote! There's two major problems noted- proposed changes to the syllabus in California, and the replacement of maths with data science - the second one is the kind of practical job-related coursework the WSJ's base would support, and hence finds zero mention in the article.

So much for "Americans should pay attention" to "scientists speaking up".

Anyway, I had one year of schooling with American textbooks, and they were learning in 7th standard maths what Indians learnt in 4th and 5th. This was in 2003. Shudder to think what California is doing if they're dropping standards further.
I think that's why they have advanced classes where the standard is somewhat similar to Indian and Chinese curriculum. The proposal I believe is to replace it with something else since it has very little black and latino representation, hency why a lot of liberals are also up in arms about it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Such a bunch of pathetic excuses for people, all desperate for a light to shine on them, even if it's only for a few seconds!

"Over here! Over here! CLICK ME!!!"
And we all know the best way to deal with attention hungry click whores is to share a tweet with all your followers featuring some of their most deliberately controversial headlines.

Oh wait…

nimic

something nice
Scout
And we all know the best way to deal with attention hungry click whores is to share a tweet with all your followers featuring some of their most deliberately controversial headlines.

Oh wait…
In that case, you are just as wrong to quote that post and adding a sarcastic, eye-catching comment to it, thereby bringing attention to the post that is bringing attention to the tweet that is bringing attention to the attention hungry click whore.

Ignoring them doesn't work, because you're not the target audience anyway.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In that case, you are just as wrong to quote that post and adding a sarcastic, eye-catching comment to it, thereby bringing attention to the post that is bringing attention to the tweet that is bringing attention to the attention hungry click whore.

I doubt Rod Liddle is heavily reliant on redcafe to boost his profile. Twitter, on the other hand…

To be clear, I wasn’t having a go at @berbatrick it was the original tweet that seemed misguided. Trying to get some attention by telling everyone what a terrible person Rod Liddle is, thereby giving more attention to Rod Liddle.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Domingo García, president of the League of United Latin American Citizens, the nation's oldest Latino civil rights organization, has instructed staff and board members to drop the word "Latinx" from the group's official communications.

García sent the directive out in an email Wednesday night, addressed to Sindy Benavides, the league's CEO; David Cruz, its communications director; and the LULAC board.

"Let's stop using Latinx in all official communications," García said, adding that it's "very unliked" by almost all Latinos.

The email included a link to a Miami Herald editorial with the headline: "The 'Latinx community' doesn't want to be called 'Latinx.' Just drop it, progressives."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino...-drops-latinx-official-communication-rcna8203

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Masterclass. Not just is the vaccine the Holocaust, James Lindsay would stop the Holocaust.

This guy

Charlie Foley

My main issue with him would be the running away and leaving his wife for a young one
:lol: :lol: Feck I didn’t put that together until you said it

:lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

This is the genius who had a big role in making CRT and book-banning the topic of the this year's conservative freakout and subsequent election wins.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
:lol:
There's a so-bad-its-good 90s sci-fi movie where a computer generates a Terminator-style villain by combining the brains of Hitler and a fictional anarchist terrorist and Charles Manson. Who knew it was merely a random woke guy!

NotThatSoph

This is the genius who had a big role in making CRT and book-banning the topic of the this year's conservative freakout and subsequent election wins.
I'm not even mad. He erupted by being a part of that "the conceptual penis hoax", which was so spectacularly stupid I have no words. It was like announcing to the world that he's an idiot, and instead of "normal" people recognizing this obvious fact they went ...wow that's good!

What they did was similar to the Banana Argument for God, which is fitting considering he works for a right-wing creationist think tank, and people just went along with it.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

In the middle of a lot of political back-and-forth. Found this funny because it's wokely implying that the characteristic of white manliness (definitionally evil!) is honesty.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'm not even mad. He erupted by being a part of that "the conceptual penis hoax", which was so spectacularly stupid I have no words. It was like announcing to the world that he's an idiot, and instead of "normal" people recognizing this obvious fact they went ...wow that's good!

What they did was similar to the Banana Argument for God, which is fitting considering he works for a right-wing creationist think tank, and people just went along with it.
Which right-wing creationist think tank is this?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Hard to express how much contempt I have for this coward

Lame insult, absolutely ignored, now even lamer crying

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Currently 5th in the UK pop charts is a song titled 'Boris Johnson Is Still A fecking cnut'. I'm not saying that's not cringey in its own way but the gulf between that and 'Let's Go Brandon' is notable I think.