The curious case of Jon Moss

CallyRed

On one of the replays i was watching Ogbonna and at no point did he initiate a tackle or contact, Vardy basically just hit into him and looped up into the air.

7.5/10 for technique and landing

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Vardy. One good season should not diminish the fact that once a scrote always a scrote.

grahamo

It was a dive. end of. What annoyed me more is instead of taking his chance and going for goal, he slowed down, waited for the defender then threw his legs toward him for the dive. The more I watch Vardy the more I dislike him. The penalty against Carroll wasn't a penalty. Carroll's arms were down at his side. The 2 players were shoulder to shoulder. The Leicester player was going nowhere so there wasn't really a need to shoulder charge him.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Give the guy a break. That was an impossible game to referee.
He was inconsistent, but Vardy was rightly sent off. It was a dive all day long - just look at the way he goes down.

Also, Carroll on Schlupp wasn't a penalty, but Carroll was just too stupid to come clattering into Schlupp at that moment of the game. Plus hordes of other decisions as well. As someone said, it was a very difficult game to manage, and in that case, he did okay.
Why was this game in particular harder to referee than any other given match? It became difficult for him because he let things got out of control in the first place, and couldn't cope with the pressure afterwards. These guys get paid thousands of pounds to lead a game of football and the incompetency is staggering at times. What's the point of dishing out warnings at set-pieces and corners (which I don't think is necessary in the first place, a foul is a foul) if you're not going to give them when the players still commit them anyway? Seems so stupid. There shouldn't be different rules inside the box than outside, hindering an opponent like that should or always, or never be a foul but you just have to be consistent with your decisions. I wouldn't have a problem with the West Ham penalty if he gave another two on Huth and another two on Ogbonna, but why did he give only that particular one? Makes no sense to me and that's why you get angry fans and players.

It's the same with playes moaning to the referees - if they just consistently give yellow cards for that, it wouldn't take long for them to stop doing it. Just look at how everyone obeys almost every call in the NBA or NFL.

Mr Smith

He made it impossible for himself to referee though.

Mind you, I agree with second yellow for Vardy. After that though it was pure comedy gold.
How dyou mean? It's pretty difficult to regulate the kind of shoving that goes on for corners or free kicks, and you can't realistically give everything. I suppose you could argue that he should have stamped on the physicality of the game earlier, but honestly when things are as nuts as they were in those last 10 or so minutes, any of about 5 or 6 penalty incidents could have been given.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I still reckon the word had gone out to referees after press coverage of their supposed leniency towards Leicester.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Vardy's first yellow was a bit iffy but he'd already dived in just before then so could easily have seen yellow for that. As for the 2nd yellow, can't see how anyone can defend that. 100% dive.

Given he'd literally just spoken to Morgan and Huth, he was always going to give a penalty for any kind of contact from then on. Daft from Morgan to even give him something to think about. He got that one right IMO.

The Leicester penalty was never a penalty. Not sure what Carroll was even doing there but still.

Kostur

海尔的老板
How dyou mean? It's pretty difficult to regulate the kind of shoving that goes on for corners or free kicks, and you can't realistically give everything. I suppose you could argue that he should have stamped on the physicality of the game earlier, but honestly when things are as nuts as they were in those last 10 or so minutes, any of about 5 or 6 penalty incidents could have been given.
First pen wasn't one for me but if he called it, then the consistency has to be in place and just minutes after Huth actually was fouled in the opposing box and he didn't give the pen, just to make up for it with the pen in 93rd minute that probably wasn't a pen either.

To make it short, he's got 3 calls for pens wrong and that was all within what, 20 minutes?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Why was this game in particular harder to referee than any other given match? It became difficult for him because he let things got out of control in the first place, and couldn't cope with the pressure afterwards. These guys get paid thousands of pounds to lead a game of football and the incompetency is staggering at times. What's the point of dishing out warnings at set-pieces and corners (which I don't think is necessary in the first place, a foul is a foul) if you're not going to give them when the players still commit them anyway? Seems so stupid. There shouldn't be different rules inside the box than outside, hindering an opponent like that should or always, or never be a foul but you just have to be consistent with your decisions. I wouldn't have a problem with the West Ham penalty if he gave another two on Huth and another two on Ogbonna, but why did he give only that particular one? Makes no sense to me and that's why you get angry fans and players.

It's the same with playes moaning to the referees - if they just consistently give yellow cards for that, it wouldn't take long for them to stop doing it. Just look at how everyone obeys almost every call in the NBA or NFL.
Bingo, right on all counts.

CallyRed

Vardy. One good season should not diminish the fact that once a scrote always a scrote.
Even his reaction when he got sent off annoyed me, sums up the kind of guy he is.

You know if he wasn't a footballer he'd be the guy walking up to you in the street, head to toe adidas originals asking you if you want to buy a laptop.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
First pen wasn't one for me but if he called it, then the consistency has to be in place and just minutes after Huth actually was fouled in the opposing box and he didn't give the pen, just to make up for it with the pen in 93rd minute that probably wasn't a pen either.

To make it short, he's got 3 calls for pens wrong and that was all within what, 20 minutes?
If the West Ham one on Huth was a penalty and you want to give them all then West Ham should have had 5 or 6 penalties. Huth and Morgan do the same thing every week, they have no interest in the ball from set-pieces, they literally just hold and grapple anything and everything that moves. But the biggest joke yesterday was Fuchs with his head shoved in the players chest, that was beyond ridiculous, was just pushing him further and further back with his head lol, amazing.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
By the way as an aside that was West Ham's first penalty away from home in the PL for 4 years, that's an incredible stat.

Last edited:

RaptorSlo

He was inconsistent, but Vardy was rightly sent off. It was a dive all day long - just look at the way he goes down.

Also, Carroll on Schlupp wasn't a penalty, but Carroll was just too stupid to come clattering into Schlupp at that moment of the game. Plus hordes of other decisions as well. As someone said, it was a very difficult game to manage, and in that case, he did okay.
Yes, the one on Schlupp wasn't a penalty. But the one on Huth, where the defender hold him down with both hands around his shoulders, should be, but wasn't given. That one was basically the most deserving pen, from all the fouls.

JohnnyKills

Vardy was rightly sent off, it was a clear dive and he's not exactly innocent to such antics before. I actually commend him for that ballsy decision.

He was pretty much awful with the other decisions though, but again he's not much worse than Atkinson who still gets the big games despite being consistently awful.
Yeah this definitely felt like karma catching up with Vardy. I've never been more angry watching United than I was after the game at Leicester last year. Vardy fouled Rafael, then took a soft tumble as soon as he got in the box to get Leicester their first penalty in that game. Always thought he seemed (and looked) like a bit of a tw*t and his dive yesterday was horrendous.

If Leicester are going to set out to make the referee's job difficult, they can't complain when big decisions go against them. Maybe Moss had seen Leicester's tricks in his other games, specifically the pulling and the diving, and went into yesterday's match wanting to make some kind of statement.

This article is an interesting take on the game. I don't in any way believe referees are biased towards Leicester but it does seem they get a lot of decisions in their favour, which suggests they're not shy about going to ground and trying to influence the official.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/leicester-citys-real-mvp-the-referee-1460933660

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I think the 1st yellow as harsh

But the 2nd was for sure a dive. A very impressive and clever one and the ref did well do not fall for it

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
I think the 1st yellow as harsh

But the 2nd was for sure a dive. A very impressive and clever one and the ref did well do not fall for it
What was most bizarre was Vardy's reaction towards the ref for not being conned by the dive.

LouisDanGaal

Should he get in trouble for telling the obvious truth?
No and I don't think he should get into trouble for it but I was just thinking his comments, even though he is right he brought into question the integrity of the ref by saying he was looking to even it out, which is a pretty strong accusation from a player. Obviously that is the kind of thing that gets said in forums, at the match and in pubs a lot but I don't think managers or players can get away with it. Absolutely terrible performance though, I know a few are saying that game was impossible to ref but it really wasn't show consistency and the players will know where they stand, there should have either been 6 penalties in that match or none.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
No and I don't think he should get into trouble for it but I was just thinking his comments, even though he is right he brought into question the integrity of the ref by saying he was looking to even it out, which is a pretty strong accusation from a player. Obviously that is the kind of thing that gets said in forums, at the match and in pubs a lot but I don't think managers or players can get away with it. Absolutely terrible performance though, I know a few are saying that game was impossible to ref but it really wasn't show consistency and the players will know where they stand, there should have either been 6 penalties in that match or none.

This is the point, those clamouring for a penalty for the Huth incident should note that West Ham literally could have had half a dozen at the other end for similar incidents. The fact is Leicester do t actually mark from set-pieces, not just yesterday but in any game, instead they have a deliberate policy of holding and grappling. Some will say every team does it but I don't buy that, some do and some don't but Leicester are routinely the worst offenders, and as long as they get away with it you can't blame them.

montpelier

I think we should remember that Jon Moss wasn't originally doing this game. This and the despicable anti-Leics bias (apart from the last minute equalizing non penalty which we will have to ignore) screams MASSIVE CONSPIRACY if not CORRUPTION to me. It looks like Daniel Levy, Pochettino (who is not Uruguayan remember), Alan Sugar, Lineker, Glenn Hoddle, Hunter Davies, celebrity chef Anthony Worrall-Thompson, Linda Lusardi & possibly Adele have been running the FA since last Wednesday if you ask me.

I reckon it has been realised at the highest level by the people who run football in this country (Sky) that we can't have hard working slightly clog-happy Leicester winning the Premier League, it's supposed to be the Best League in the World. And the sight of the ferret-faced cheat would mess the marketing of the brand right up. Someone has obviously been got at to stop this kind of thing from getting global traction.

coolredwine

lameredboots

Of course it was his mistake to let it go out of control. I didn't follow the match that closely to notice each and every incident, but everytime there was a set piece, there was pushing and shoving going around. Had he booked 1-2 players in the initial minutes, everyone would have toed the line. He didn't and it continued. There was an incident at every minute. Huth vs Ogbonna, Morgan vs Reid. It just went on and on and on and that made it even more worse for him. Because giving someone a yellow after such incidents have already happened reflects badly on his part. This is why I think he allowed that to go on without even booking a single player for that.

I think we should remember that Jon Moss wasn't originally doing this game. This and the despicable anti-Leics bias (apart from the last minute equalizing non penalty which we will have to ignore) screams MASSIVE CONSPIRACY if not CORRUPTION to me. It looks like Daniel Levy, Pochettino (who is not Uruguayan remember), Alan Sugar, Lineker, Glenn Hoddle, Hunter Davies, celebrity chef Anthony Worrall-Thompson, Linda Lusardi & possibly Adele have been running the FA since last Wednesday if you ask me.

I reckon it has been realised at the highest level by the people who run football in this country (Sky) that we can't have hard working slightly clog-happy Leicester winning the Premier League, it's supposed to be the Best League in the World. And the sight of the ferret-faced cheat would mess the marketing of the brand right up. Someone has obviously been got at to stop this kind of thing from getting global traction.

Is that sarcasm?! Theyve had more decisions this season than the rest of the league combined.

bleedred

I do think the refereeing performance was bad, but it was just like every other weekend where atleast one ref seems to have a stinker. If this was a game between say Everton- Southampton or for that matter, even us this Wednesday (Palace), no one would care. It all evens out at the end of season.

Kostur

海尔的老板
If the West Ham one on Huth was a penalty and you want to give them all then West Ham should have had 5 or 6 penalties. Huth and Morgan do the same thing every week, they have no interest in the ball from set-pieces, they literally just hold and grapple anything and everything that moves. But the biggest joke yesterday was Fuchs with his head shoved in the players chest, that was beyond ridiculous, was just pushing him further and further back with his head lol, amazing.
I'm not talking every week, I'm talking that specific match. Huth was taken down by I can't remember who without ball, he's had a bloody headlock on him and was dragged down by one of WHU's defender. Now, this type of shit can happen every week everywhere around the world and it can go unpunished for all I care but if Moss decided to award WHU a penalty for something a lot lenient, then there's a 100% penalty on Huth just minutes after.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think there's been a massive overreaction because it's Leicester and their everyone's favourites. West Ham were also hard done by.
One thing I know for sure is, Vardy's red was the correct decision.

justboy68

Vardy's red was absolutely correct. The rest of the performance was shambolic. Arbitrarily blowing up for that penalty on Morgan was just such a weird thing to do and brought a world of trouble on himself. That kind of thing happens at literally every corner for every team and for some reason he decided to blow for one that wasn't even particularly bad by corner marking standards, as evidenced by Huth being dragged down to the floor minutes later and Moss deciding not to award anything. Then towards the end he gave the most obvious 'evening things up' penalty award you'll ever see, it was hilarious. The end result was probably correct but Moss decided to take us on the loopy route to get there.

Untied

The Vardy dive call was brave and correct. I think the Morgan penalty is probably correct as well. He clearly pushes him with his left arm. It's just that they are so inconsistently given, and if that's a penalty Ogbonna should have given one away.

Huth's elbow clothesline should definitely have been one as well.

And the penalty for Leicester on Schlupp was non-existent. So for all the talk of decisions going against Leicester, it was probably about even on the day. And over the season they have certainly benefitted from refereeing. Huth has escaped two clear red cards and bans for elbows for instance.

Untied

Think there's been a massive overreaction because it's Leicester and their everyone's favourites. West Ham were also hard done by.
One thing I know for sure is, Vardy's red was the correct decision.
Agreed. Everyone is talking as if Morgan's foul was never a penalty.

I mean he clearly pushes Reid with his left arm. Are they always given? No. Was there any consistency in this match? No. Was Morgan hard done by? No.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
The Vardy dive call was brave and correct. I think the Morgan penalty is probably correct as well. He clearly pushes him with his left arm. It's just that they are so inconsistently given, and if that's a penalty Ogbonna should have given one away.

Huth's elbow clothesline should definitely have been one as well.

And the penalty for Leicester on Schlupp was non-existent. So for all the talk of decisions going against Leicester, it was probably about even on the day. And over the season they have certainly benefitted from refereeing. Huth has escaped two clear red cards and bans for elbows for instance.
Not forgetting Drinkwaters challenge against Arsenal which was probably the worst challenge all season. If the ref didn't give a foul and a red then fair enough and good luck to Leicester for getting away with it, but why wasn't Drinkwater then banned retrospectively like others have been?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If that was a yellow for a dive, when the legs actually came together, then I want to see that given every time that happens. Which I am pretty sure is at least once every single game. IMO not a yellow. No.
He hasn't been booked "because the legs came together", he's been booked because he purposely threw his body into Ogbonna to make the contact happen, thus make a penalty appeal. it's cheating by trying to gain an advantage, no different than jumping over a leg that's dangling out. It's rarely seen as it's a huge call to make for a referee, you've got to be 100% certain, but IMO it was spot on.

Dion

Yeah, the conditions for it to be a dive are a) not being fouled b) taking action aimed at deceiving the referee.

He's a diving little scummer and he earned it.

Keenst

I can't wait 'till video refs come into the game. People will wonder why it took so long to happen.