The curious case of Jon Moss

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'll give in. I've watched it many more times and you are right that he dived and looked for the contact. While I do think if that is a yellow, then those sorts of yellow cards is something we should be seeing every game if there's any consistency.

I find it surprising that he went to ground when he didn't have to. Why on earth..

Phil

Yellow card for dive - 100% correct decision, very well spotted.

Giving a penalty after warning the Leicester players about 8 times that it's football, not wrestling - correct decision

No penalty for the Huth drag down - incorrect

Penalty on Carroll - incorrect but I don't really give a shit, 2 wrongs made a right.

Blatzo

Is that sarcasm?! Theyve had more decisions this season than the rest of the league combined.
Don't be ridiculous - he clearly states that they took over on Wednesday - the panel mentioned had no say on the rest of the season. Obviously.

C'est Moi Cantona

People too quick to jump on the Shearer/MOTD bandwagon with this one, yes he didn't do great, but this happens all too often, and that surely should tell someone that they need more help.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Carraghers analysis was interesting, basically that Moss got everything right. Particularly interesting when it showed the view he had of the penalty awarded in the last minute against Carroll. Looked absolutely nailed on from the referees angle

dogwithabone

West Ham penalty was very soft. Apply consistency to that and you will see six or seven penalties a game.
Vardy first booking was never a yellow. Nothing cynical, it was just very slightly mis-timed.
Vardy sending off was 100% correct. A pathetic attempt to con the referee.
Leicester penalty was another soft one but Carrolls knee didn't come slightly across Schlupp and it was more a pen than West Hams.
Foul on Huth was handbags and the sort if wrestling and jostling for position at corners that's gone on forever.

RaptorSlo

Agreed. Everyone is talking as if Morgan's foul was never a penalty.

I mean he clearly pushes Reid with his left arm. Are they always given? No. Was there any consistency in this match? No. Was Morgan hard done by? No.
TBH, seeing it again, I'm still not convinced. You can see from the camera behind the goal how Reid stops, and given Morgan has no time to react to that, he will barge into him.

Reducation

Why don't the authorities outlaw this idiotic business of players grappling with each other at set-pieces, the shirt-tugging etc etc?
Because as with blatant diving, they want it in the game in order to maintain the drama and pantomime. It's all about TV viewing figures and money. The wrong people run the game; they pursue popularity of football at the cost of the integrity of football.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Nonsense. How on earth can that be a bigger problem than diving itself? It cannot!
i was talking about Moss and his performance yesterday not about general problems in football.....

RaptorSlo

Also, apparently there's no foul until the ball is in game, which is ridiculous. Push the opposition with both hands just before the ball is played, and you get a free header.

Fitchett

Vardy completely engineered the foul and then exaggerated the fall in order to get a penalty, complete dive. If it's not a dive then you can basically jump into defenders in the box and be rewarded for it. It was the same as Ashley Young's dive from a few years ago versus Crystal Palace that he got villified for.

The problem with giving a penalty for pulling at corners is that you need to be consistent and it's impossible due to the number of times it happens in a match - you could justify giving 6 or so penalties a match with defenders marking attackers at set pieces. Moss fecked that by completely ignoring Huth being bear hugged at a corner. The extra time penalty was typical ref rewarding a team after he realises he's fecked them over.
Jon Moss was the referee that game too. He's made a lot of wrong penalty decisions in the three years he has reffed in the Premier League. But the Vardy decision yesterday was spot on. He brought the trouble on himself later by penalising the grappling in the penalty area after players have been allowed to get away with it all match and indeed all season.

Sigma

Carraghers analysis was interesting, basically that Moss got everything right. Particularly interesting when it showed the view he had of the penalty awarded in the last minute against Carroll. Looked absolutely nailed on from the referees angle
Yeah came on here to talk about that too, great analysis. Tough job being a ref is.

prarek

There's been a couple of times this season Vardy has escaped punishment for diving.

lonelyred

Also, apparently there's no foul until the ball is in game, which is ridiculous. Push the opposition with both hands just before the ball is played, and you get a free header.
Actually, you are supposed to get a warning/yellow/red card for that, with the corner/free kick retaken.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Nonsense, a ref can book/red card a player for an offence at any time, irrespective of whether the ball is in play or not, same as they can book/red card a player who's not even on the pitch.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Vardy completely engineered the foul and then exaggerated the fall in order to get a penalty, complete dive. If it's not a dive then you can basically jump into defenders in the box and be rewarded for it. It was the same as Ashley Young's dive from a few years ago versus Crystal Palace that he got villified for.

The problem with giving a penalty for pulling at corners is that you need to be consistent and it's impossible due to the number of times it happens in a match - you could justify giving 6 or so penalties a match with defenders marking attackers at set pieces. Moss fecked that by completely ignoring Huth being bear hugged at a corner. The extra time penalty was typical ref rewarding a team after he realises he's fecked them over.
Which is exactly what they should do IMO, you watch how quickly the behaviour on the pitch would change if the refs started doing exactly that. Same with dissent, soon as a player gets in the refs face, they should book them. Once players start getting sent off for being gobshites they'll soon calm down.

BarstoolProphet

I really want Leicester to win the title but it was long overdue that someone finally had the balls to deal with his antics. He's been riding the luck wagon all season.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I was basically thinking that he got all decisions right. All the red cards and the pens were comprehensible.
We shouldn't blame the ref when he is doing his job. (Yeah he missed the Huth one, but how many refs would have spotted it?)

Northstand

Keith Hackett couldn't wait to stick the boot in.
Heard the clown on the radio yesterday. According to him, Moss was even wrong to produce a second yellow for Vardy's dive because "he'd have got away with it" if he'd just waved play on. Such was the force of Hackett's criticism that Adrian Chiles was obliged to leap to Moss' defense.

RaptorSlo

I was basically thinking that he got all decisions right. All the red cards and the pens were comprehensible.
We shouldn't blame the ref when he is doing his job. (Yeah he missed the Huth one, but how many refs would have spotted it?)
I think the problem was, he basically gave pens for the softest offenses.

One thing most agree on though, is that Vardy was rightly sent off.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Is there actually a worse ref in the league? Struggling to think of one which says a lot.

Red Stone

Is there actually a worse ref in the league? Struggling to think of one which says a lot.
I always imagine Michael Oliver to be a much worse ref than he actually is because of his punchable face.

Jon Moss is worse in real life than Michael Oliver is in my imagination.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Just because a ref sees an incident and decides to give a yellow card, why should more severes measure still not be taken ? Football is broken, too much power to incompetent fools (referees) IMHO. They don't wanna get discredited as a way not to hurt their fecking feelings.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Amateur ref, points to the spot then changes his mind, guaranteed he thought about stopping a historic win for Burnley instead of applying the rules of the game.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Gave a minimum of 5 minutes added time, then blew the whistle early despite the time wasting. Wanker.