The David Moyes appreciation thread

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He is not from Argentina is he ?
No he's not a Heinze/Di Maria-style turncoat but he's a good footballer who would've been driven to the brink of insanity by Moyes and LVG's respective 'philosophies'. We were hazardous to the careers of quality players a few years back.

flappyjay

This is why I have no respect for the past 3 managers. None of them take responsibility for their part in the mediocrity that happened under their tenure. It's all the clubs fault.

Loon

:lol:
No. This is just wrong. Look at the two teams Moyes and OGS took over. One was the PL winners (by 11 odd points!!), and one was a club in free fall under Jose after 5 years of poor performances.

Moyes destroyed so much of what was good under SAF. I’d rather have Big Ron (assuming he’s still alive) back than Moyes.
Big Ron’s United was actually really great for a spell, speaking as someone who saw them.

MoskvaRed

Big Ron’s United was actually really great for a spell, speaking as someone who saw them.
I agree - back in the 80s, Ron put together an entertaining side, at least until it soured in the last 12 months. But I think he meant the current version who has been retired for 20 years. In which case, I would agree that he couldn’t be any worse than Moyes. Big Ron would certainly not be so small time and defeatist as Wee Davie.

I agree. What I was saying is that I’d rather have Big Ron now! I assume he’s probably subbing himself on a beach. Not heard from him in years.

Paul_Scholes18

Moyes did pretty well in europe at least. His record is the best we had since we last reached a CL final under SAF 10 years ago.
All for nothing though since we missed europe next season.

Revan

Assumptionman
Moyes did pretty well in europe at least. His record is the best we had since we last reached a CL final under SAF 10 years ago.
I don't think he did pretty well to be fair. We barely managed to defeat fecking Olympiacos (it was the hat-trick of RVP after they won 2-0 the first match), and then Bayern eliminated us.

Paul_Scholes18

I don't think he did pretty well to be fair. We barely managed to defeat fecking Olympiacos (it was the hat-trick of RVP after they won 2-0 the first match), and then Bayern eliminated us.
Yeah it was a good round of 16 draw. Easier than PSG when we also reached last 8.
We impressed in the group a bit though and won it.
I guess it was easier then than now since we had top ranking for the group stage.
Now we are second ranked I think.

Loon

:lol:
I agree - back in the 80s, Ron put together an entertaining side, at least until it soured in the last 12 months. But I think he meant the current version who has been retired for 20 years. In which case, I would agree that he couldn’t be any worse than Moyes. Big Ron would certainly not be so small time and defeatist as Wee Davie.
Absolutely. Ron would have got that side playing positive attacking football.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I really tried to convince myself that Fergie and the club knew best with this appointment, but Jesus God what an absolute train wreck of an appointment. Malpractice and negligence at its absolute highest in sport.

David fecking Moyes taking over the Premier League champions and one of the biggest clubs in the world. Absolute madness.

croadyman

I really tried to convince myself that Fergie and the club knew best with this appointment, but Jesus God what an absolute train wreck of an appointment. Malpractice and negligence at its absolute highest in sport.

David fecking Moyes taking over the Premier League champions and one of the biggest clubs in the world. Absolute madness.
Yeah I never thought Fergie would ever make such a disastrous appointment

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If I were to look really hard for a silver lining, it would be that he paved the way for an era where my team went from being top dogs to underdogs. I didn't appreciate becoming a laughing stock, but the monotony of winning (domestically, over two decades), sacrilegious as it sounds, was starting to lose its excitement. There were only two ways to go: start dominating in Europe, or become a lot worse and spend years in the wilderness until we become relevant again. We're all so happy it was the latter...

But seriously, as incredibly shit as the post SAF era has been, and it's been immeasurably worse than even the most pessimistic among us expected, with shit football, ludicrous contracts to average players, reckless mismanagement of 100s of millions, cringeworthy statements by club executives, damage to the aura of the club, and record poor season finishes and a host of other unflattering stats, it's been, in some strange way, a narrative that's been worn to the max, but still absorbing, and not just in a sadomasochistic way.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There's that song in the film Drive that goes "Real human being... And a Real hero"

Whatever the opposite of that song is... That's David Moyes.

manutddjw

I don’t think this gets brought up often but the shit show surrounding the Herrera transfer is one for the ages.

Ed inquires and gets told he has release clause and it must be paid. David Moyes gets told this and tells Ed he wants him but not to pay more than 25 Million. We then send the 3 amigos to see if we can challenge the release clause and quickly get told to feck off. Moyes confirmed this about Herrera in a press conference when he said “I like to think of the clubs money as my own”.

Fellaini I somewhat understand if the story is correct that he had a gentleman’s agreement with Everton that he wouldn’t take advantage of inside information on player contracts. Still shouldn’t of signed Fellaini though.

croadyman

I don’t think this gets brought up often but the shit show surrounding the Herrera transfer is one for the ages.

Ed inquires and gets told he has release clause and it must be paid. David Moyes gets told this and tells Ed he wants him but not to pay more than 25 Million. We then send the 3 amigos to see if we can challenge the release clause and quickly get told to feck off. Moyes confirmed this about Herrera in a press conference when he said “I like to think of the clubs money as my own”.

Fellaini I somewhat understand if the story is correct that he had a gentleman’s agreement with Everton that he wouldn’t take advantage of inside information on player contracts. Still shouldn’t of signed Fellaini though.
Oh there is no doubt that situation turned us into one of the biggest laughing stocks in world football and rightfully so we were repeatedly bantered for acting so unprofessional

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Every line mentioned in the OP sent shivers down my spine. Ugh, what a shocking parting gift by Fergie to install this buffoon to replace him.

croadyman

Every line mentioned in the OP sent shivers down my spine. Ugh, what a shocking parting gift by Fergie to install this buffoon to replace him.
Yeah and now we have to stomach that spanish maestro playing for our most bitter rivals

RedTiger

Half mast
If I were to look really hard for a silver lining, it would be that he paved the way for an era where my team went from being top dogs to underdogs. I didn't appreciate becoming a laughing stock, but the monotony of winning (domestically, over two decades), sacrilegious as it sounds, was starting to lose its excitement. There were only two ways to go: start dominating in Europe, or become a lot worse and spend years in the wilderness until we become relevant again. We're all so happy it was the latter...

But seriously, as incredibly shit as the post SAF era has been, and it's been immeasurably worse than even the most pessimistic among us expected, with shit football, ludicrous contracts to average players, reckless mismanagement of 100s of millions, cringeworthy statements by club executives, damage to the aura of the club, and record poor season finishes and a host of other unflattering stats, it's been, in some strange way, a narrative that's been worn to the max, but still absorbing, and not just in a sadomasochistic way.
I agree with your entire post 100%.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
More like the players had some pride despite the poor tactics and inadequate manager, they were after all a team assembled by Ferguson so I would attribute the results to them being a good side with a competitive mentality. Anyway the football was slowly degrading under SAF in his last seasons and in hindsight I'd say you needed a more progressive manager although at the time I thought Mourinho would had been a good fit to take over the team, so it was shocking to see Moyes appointed to say the least.

Dante

Average bang

It could have been so different all this
This was a failure by Woodward. He got led up the garden path by Fabregas (who was looking for a contract bump) and Woodward fell for it.

The manager liking Fabregas as a player is not the issue here. If we'd got Cesc instead of Thiago, that would have been fine. The problem is that we got neither due to Woodward's inability to assess the situation at the negotiating table.

These days, we keep several options open for each position and move on when the first choice looks unlikely. I think the inexperience of a new CEO in the boardroom was the killer factor. Thankfully, he seems to have learnt from that particular mistake (though not from others!).

Moyes can be blamed for a lot of other things. Wanting Fabregas shouldn't be one of them.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Moyes was a good man, who ultimately wasn't a good enough manager, but was also let down badly by a combination of Gill, Fergie, Woodward and the Glazers.

Regardless of how he was as a manager, the way some of the players behaved that season was a disgrace.

croadyman

Moyes was a good man, who ultimately wasn't a good enough manager, but was also let down badly by a combination of Gill, Fergie, Woodward and the Glazers.

Regardless of how he was as a manager, the way some of the players behaved that season was a disgrace.
Why on earth did he get rid of the whole backroom staff and appoint that clown Lumsden too. I won't slag off round because you can see he has definitely inproved since joining Arteta.

No wonder he lost the likes of Rio & Vidic when he supposedly told them to watch videos of Jagielka defending.

Squeaky Bumtime

Yeah I thought about it and he just wasnt a good enough manager.

Foxbatt

This was a failure by Woodward. He got led up the garden path by Fabregas (who was looking for a contract bump) and Woodward fell for it.

The manager liking Fabregas as a player is not the issue here. If we'd got Cesc instead of Thiago, that would have been fine. The problem is that we got neither due to Woodward's inability to assess the situation at the negotiating table.

These days, we keep several options open for each position and move on when the first choice looks unlikely. I think the inexperience of a new CEO in the boardroom was the killer factor. Thankfully, he seems to have learnt from that particular mistake (though not from others!).

Moyes can be blamed for a lot of other things. Wanting Fabregas shouldn't be one of them.
Moyes was the one who said that he hasn't seen him play.

Foxbatt

You missed the funny bit where three jokers acting as Herrera's agents came and met United and Moyes. Turned out there were scam artists.

croadyman

You missed the funny bit where three jokers acting as Herrera's agents came and met United and Moyes. Turned out there were scam artists.
That has to be one of the most humiliating transfer window incidents ever, easily up there with Odemwingie and driving down to QPR training ground only to find he can't get in

Sylar

He's talking about how they had a helicopter ready to bring Bale when he was United manager
Bale sure did well to avoid that

Although probably missed some great videos to learn from on Pienaar

Foxbatt

Without Moyes we would not have been in our current situation. He was the one who destroyed this club. He should have never been appointed the manager of Manchester United. I don't think SAF ever thought Moyes would be stupid enough to disregard his advice and sack the back room staff.

JohnnyKills

Without Moyes we would not have been in our current situation. He was the one who destroyed this club. He should have never been appointed the manager of Manchester United. I don't think SAF ever thought Moyes would be stupid enough to disregard his advice and sack the back room staff.
All this 'chosen one' stuff is nonsense to me. Anyone who is chosen for anything is, by definition, the chosen one.

What is relevant is the number of people who turn down a role before the final appointment is made. And it sounds like loads of people turned down United before Moyes said yes.

With hindsight, United could have asked Fergie to do one more year and give them time to find a replacement. I know he stepped down for personal reasons but it's standard practice in big jobs for top execs to give a year's notice before leaving.

As for Moyes himself, I felt a mixture of dread and disappointment when he was named as the new manager and it was horrible to see those feelings vindicated. He revealed himself to be an arrogant, small-minded man and he still makes me angry six years on.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
We do?

Dante

Average bang
We're in for both Reguilon and Telles at the same time. Same applies to Grealish/VdB as well as Costa/Traore/Sancho and so on. So we appear to be working from shortlists rather than single targets like in 2013.

But even if he's learnt not to put all his eggs in one basket, that doesn't mean Woodward is any good at negotiating. In 7 years, the only really good all-round deal he's completed is for Aaron Wan-Bissaka. Van de Beek remains to be seen.

Every other high-profile transfer has either required us to pay huge money to break transfer records; or it's taken twice as long as it should have done.

I don't think Woodward has done anything to suggest he's anything other than a below-average transfer negotiator. Moyes may well be his equivalent as a manager. But responsibility for the post-Fergie transfer fiasco sits squarely with the CEO.

Moyes deserves to have his own faults pointed out, but they apply mostly to what happened on the pitch. I'm just trying to apportion blame fairly.

Tony247

Moyese is a moron with good heart. If you too much criticise his moronic decisions then people say you are being unfair to a good man, and if you point out his goodness of heart then others embarrass you by listing his moronic decisions.

Godfather

Was always going to be a huge fecking failure here. Most fans knew it as well. The decision to give him the job might go down as one of the worst in United's history.