The David Moyes appreciation thread

GlasgowCeltic

Yeah but there was a set top four back then and then a big drop in quality below that. Liverpool had basically gave up on the league to concentrate on the champions league.

Over the last few years there’s been a top 6 of quality sides.
The top four were higher quality than this top six

el3mel

Think you're exaggerating. Even by the declining standards of 13-14, I look at the two first team squads and I struggle to see which players now would have got in the squad ahead of their counterparts from back then. Pogba, since we had a huge hole in midfield. Wan-Bissaka as well probably. Maybe Maguire would have got in given our injury problems in defence, and maybe there's space for Martial or Rashford on the bench.
Pretty much our entire defense will go in. Rio and Vidic were totally washed out.

Our midfield, as bad as it's now, was actually better than the midfield at this time. We had at this time what, Carrick and Cleverley ? Fans were moaning about the midfield for ages at this times.

The attack at this time was better though with more options.

Suedesi

de Gea
Rafael Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Carrick Cleverley
Valencia Rooney Welbeck
van Persie

de Gea
Young Lindelof Smalling Shaw
Matic
Herrera Pogba
Rashford Lukaku Martial
Bare in mind Rio, Vidic & Evra were way passed their prime by that point, the team Ole inherited really wasn't that much worse at all. If anything I'd say it was about even. That same team finished 2nd the season before last.
Jesus Christ

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We're celebrating a 1-1 draw at home to Liverpool, ending the game with 6 at the back in 14th place.

Standards well and truly lowered.

The Moyesiah is back, baby! :drool:

In all genuine seriousness, Moyes was much better than Ole, and Moyes was diabolical...
Funny post.
But agree on all points.
Moyes was a mid table manager (he used to have Everton in around 6th-8th place).
Ole is a bottom of the league manager (got Cardiff relegated and has us currently 2 pts above the relegation zone).

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Funny post.
But agree on all points.
Moyes was a mid table manager (he used to have Everton in around 6th-8th place).
Ole is a bottom of the league manager (got Cardiff relegated and has us currently 2 pts above the relegation zone).
The gulf is bigger imo...

Moyes was top 8/10 premier league level. What has ole done to prove he is even a championship level mid table manager?

Ban

There's not a big difference. RVP more or less papered the cracks over Fergies last team.
Yeah. Not much of a difference except the whole back line being better, Rooney and RVP being better than the while forward line we have now, Carrick being better than Matić and a better bench. But yeah, not a big difference.

el3mel

Yeah. Not much of a difference except the whole back line being better, Rooney and RVP being better than the while forward line we have now, Carrick being better than Matić and a better bench. But yeah, not a big difference.
Our defense during last Fergie year was hardly a good one. We were making ton of comebacks and last minute winning because we were god awful defensively. That was due to Rio and Vidic being totally washed out, and the next in line were Evans, Jones and Smalling, who were hardly top defenders.

Looking at the stats we conceded 43 goals, second worst among top 6 after Spurs with 46 during Fergie last year.

Carrick was better than Matic but that is it. The midfield options were underwhelming and fans were moaning for years about getting a new midfield. We currently have Pogba and Scott at least. At these days our best option in midfield beside Carrick was Cleverley, especially during Moyes season after Scholes retired.

The attack was better than the current team though no doubt about that.

That team had a top tier manager in Fergie, 2 world class attackers in Rooney and RVP with loads of guts and fighting ability when they go down, but the general quality of the team was degrading. The experienced players were all getting washed out, and some were close to retirement. The young players in the squad were honestly not that exciting, and the likes of Chihcarito etc weren't players you can depend on as a full time starter every week.

It's a squad that finished its cycle with Fergie retirement and needed a massive overhaul, with many signings all over midfield and attack. They won the league, but that was a last push from Fergie. LVG got rid of plenty of this squad once he took over and rightly so.

Of course that doesn't mean Moyes was not a terrible appointment. He wasn't suited for the rebuild job, just like how Ole currently isn't suited for the rebuild job.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I wish I could look at Moyes and "Ha! That was shit. Thank feck we aren't there anymore." But we're actually a far worse season. Didn't think that was possible 6 years on :lol:

Suedesi

Mindblowing, isn't it. Whoever thinks that is having a laugh.
I know, it's idiotic.

Moyes inherited a team that won five championships in the past seven seasons, a team that could soak up pressure and then strike with deadly efficiency.

Ole inherited a team that has not challenged in the past six years, and only made top 4 in two out of the last six seasons, a squad that is completely unbalanced and that has the imprint of 4 different managers and their corresponding philosophies.

But yeah, let's do the pointless Dany Mills exercise of comparing position for position and declaring that the two are similar. I don't have the strength.

stevoc

Moyes has proven to be the better manager than Ole. Having the better team doesn't automatically equal that Ole would've done better.

Your base is not the actual acumen of Ole as a manager, but some wishful thinking.

Ole has proven to relegate Cardiff and hover around 17th place in Championship when Moyes took over and then finish 2nd,5th and 6th in Norway at the time.

There's literally nothing to suggest he would've done better than Moyes, despite inheriting better squad.

Ah i see where you're going wrong now mate i think you've misinterpreted my initial post. I didn't say whether or not Ole would have done better than Moyes with the 2013 team i said he would have done better than himself.

Ole would have did much better than he has if he had inherited that side too.

mu4c_20le

Moyes never really had the dressing room, and the players did not respect him. His small time press conferences didn't help either. If Ole loses the dressing room he too will go

stevoc

Most of the experienced players of the squad were washed out players that left after this season, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Giggs etc. RVP got injured most of the season and started to decline by the next season. Rooney was our most consistent player. The midfield was non existent which was a problem from previous few seasons.

It was not actually that great of squad, needed a massive rebuild.
Better than the current one though, and i'd say the likes of Rooney, Fletcher, Carrick, Rafael, Nani, Valencia, RVP, Chicharito, Evans, etc circa 2013 were better than most of what we have right now and were vastly more experienced in terms of winning, big games, european competition. etc.

When you compare the squads there's a huge gap in quality and experience.

stevoc

The top four were higher quality than this top six
I would probably agree to an extent but that doesn't negate my point that its much harder to get into the top 4 the last few years than it was then. As i said they only came 4th because Liverpool gave up oin the league and were resting players.

el3mel

Better than the current one though, and i'd say the likes of Rooney, Fletcher, Carrick, Rafael, Nani, Valencia, RVP, Chicharito, Evans, etc circa 2013 were better than most of what we have right now and were vastly more experienced in terms of winning, big games, european competition. etc.

Rooney and Carrick are fair play.

Fletcher was done at this point. Next season under LVG played few games, didn't convince, was sold in Jan.

Rafael, he was becoming injury prone by Moyes seaosn and after LVG sold him, again in Jan of his first season in charge, he did absolutely nothing in the rest of his career. He had a great season when we last won the title, but didn't convince for the next parts of his career, at United or after it.

Evans, not better than our current 2 main defenders imho, though it's a point that many will argue about.

Chicharito, he was a squad player that you thew in when you are losing or pressing to get 1 more goal. Of course a solid option on the bench but he was never a main starter player and couldn't become later on either.

Nani, LVG sent him on loan once he got the job then got sold. Did nothing after he left either.

The problem is you are evaluating this squad based on names. Yes, on the paper the names are far better than now, but on the pitch is a different story. It was a squad that consisted of majorly washed out players that Fergie made one last push with and squeezed everything form the majority of them in his last season. That was it for them. It was time for the majority of them to move on and start a rebuild. We didn't, so what happened happened. LvG came and sold the majority of them, but ended up replacing them with bad players too, which didn't solve the problem.

Both this squad and the current one needed/needs a rebuild and both of them hired the wrong manager for that imo.

Suedesi

Of course. Moyes inherited a dynasty, a team that finished 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st and had been at the CL final 3 times in the past 4 years.

He managed to dismantle that legacy, erode the institutional knowledge of the coaching staff, and just create a culture of inferiority around the club.

By contrast, Ole inherited a team that finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, 6th and had only won minor trophies (FA Cup, UEFA).

I'm not saying Ole is better than Moyes or vice versa, but to elevate Moyes to anything beyond mediocrity is lunacy.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Of course. Moyes inherited a dynasty, a team that finished 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st and had been at the CL final 3 times in the past 4 years.

He managed to dismantle that legacy, erode the institutional knowledge of the coaching staff, and just create a culture of inferiority around the club.

By contrast, Ole inherited a team that finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, 6th and had only won minor trophies (FA Cup, UEFA).

I'm not saying Ole is better than Moyes or vice versa, but to elevate Moyes to anything beyond mediocrity is lunacy.
The absolute insane thing about that record was that, for the two 2nd place finishes, we missed out on 1st by a total of 1 point, too, right? Or am I misremembering?

Suedesi

The absolute insane thing about that record was that, for the two 2nd place finishes, we missed out on 1st by a total of 1 point, too, right? Or am I misremembering?
Correct. We missed out by a point in 2010 and goal difference in 2012.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Correct. We missed out by a point in 2010 and goal difference in 2012.
Crazy to think 1 point separated us from 7 league titles in a row! Then Moyes finished 7th straight after that brilliant run :lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
Ah i see where you're going wrong now mate i think you've misinterpreted my initial post. I didn't say whether or not Ole would have done better than Moyes with the 2013 team i said he would have done better than himself.
Ah, yes. That I agree with :)

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We’re at a level now where Moyes would excel. He’d get us back up the table to 7th.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Unpopular opinion but we would be in a better place had we had ice in our stomachs and stuck with Moyes. He deserved more time.

Letting him go postponed our rebuild 5-6 years. Now we have Ole and the club looks like it’s dedicated to giving him the time needed. Hoping they’ve learned not to pull another Moyes.

always_hoping

Unpopular opinion but we would be in a better place had we had ice in our stomachs and stuck with Moyes. He deserved more time.

Letting him go postponed our rebuild 5-6 years. Now we have Ole and the club looks like it’s dedicated to giving him the time needed. Hoping they’ve learned not to pull another Moyes.
Moyes appointment shook the foundations of the club from which United still are trying to recover from. Liverpool made the same mistake by appointing Souness in 1991 and that was something to learn from but instead it was ignored.

VJ1762

I don't know why there is a 'David Moyes appreciation thread'. Fergie endorsed his appointment, and that was one of Fergie's biggest mistakes. Moyes completely destroyed the club, and fans who are defending him are out of their fecking minds.

Feck David Moyes.

VJ1762

It's well documented who, it seemed every week one of the senior players weren't happy about something, double sessions, jagielkagate, what no chips! etc etc.

08/07/13, 15/07/13, 22/07/13, 29/07/13 .... .... ....
If you told accomplished CB's like Rio and Vida to be like Jagielka, they have a right to be pissed. One wonders why such stories never came out just a year before.
Moyes was a mid-table clogger who was completely unsuitable for the club. As Lindegaard said, we tried to charge an iPhone with a Nokia charger. It was only going to end one way.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
If you told accomplished CB's like Rio and Vida to be like Jagielka, they have a right to be pissed. One wonders why such stories never came out just a year before.
Moyes was a mid-table clogger who was completely unsuitable for the club. As Lindegaard said, we tried to charge an iPhone with a Nokia charger. It was only going to end one way.
Yeah because that's what really happened when you were sweet 16 :lol:

Foxbatt

Yes Moyes had a much better team and he would get us around the 5,6, 7th mark. Ole had a worse team but again he made it worse. Give Moyes the team Jose had and he would get us around those positions. He may even get us into the CL too.
The team Jose had was more a David Moyes kind of team.

fps

And you can blame some of the senior pros for taking liberties as much as David Moyes for that.
Ferguson was certainly able to keep a dressing room of strong characters together in a way Moyes never would. That Moyes season shambles set the new culture of the past 6 years.

If the club was unsure of post-Fergue succession they should have hit up a proven flexible manager like Ancelotti for three years while providing a major backstage overhaul after a detailed review. Ancelotti would have been a good sounding board for this with his experience working at many of the other big clubs.