The David Moyes appreciation thread

lsd

The Oracle
This myth has endured that somehow Moyes was decent away and crap at home, yes we were better away but only marginally. The real contrast in our form was between the top and bottom halves of the league.

We only managed to win 2-3 games against teams who finished in the top 10, over an entire season. This is from a thread i made about it back then, it shows we were basically as crap away from home as we were at home

What are those strange numbers next to our name that are more than 1 ?

Did we really use to score more than 1 goal in a single game ? :eek:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We're celebrating a 1-1 draw at home to Liverpool, ending the game with 6 at the back in 14th place.

Standards well and truly lowered.

The Moyesiah is back, baby! :drool:

In all genuine seriousness, Moyes was much better than Ole, and Moyes was diabolical...

Josh 76

We're celebrating a 1-1 draw at home to Liverpool, ending the game with 6 at the back in 14th place.

In all genuine seriousness, Moyes was much better than Ole, and Moyes was diabolical...
Moyes Utd got battered 0-3 to Liverpool at OT.

stevoc

Moyes probably had a better first 10 months than Ole has but had he stayed I think we have ended up in a similar position as we are right now a anyway.

Moyes took over the champions and a squad packed with talent and experience. Ole would have did much better than he has if he had inherited that side too.

Bwuk

He was no Water Smith. Had it been a younger Walter Smith.... "THAT Walter Smith Interview"

Walter Smith, Neil Lennon, etc. They are better managers than Moyes. They have driven "winning" personalities.

During the Walter Smith era at Rangers Celtic couldn't complete because they kept hiring below par managers. Even if Rangers hadn't cheated Walter still would have dominated the SPL.

If Moyes were manager of Rangers Neil Lennon would be laughing... routine domination with a 5:0 scoreline

Moyes is a Tony Mowbray. Not as bad as Ronny Deila or Pedro Caixinha but still not good enough.
Neil Lennon :lol:

ryansgirl

Perhaps the biggest mistake was giving David Moyes unfettered control. He didn't have the pedigree or experience for that and was too insecure, making poor decisions to show he was 'his own man'.

However, had he been given a shorter contract with less control it might have been somewhat different but of course not good enough for Manchester United. Bringing Fellaini to Old Trafford was a good move - I loved that man and the way he persisted despite the rubbishing, was a useful big man with a great attitude. Bringing Phil Nev back was fine, too - somebody who knows Manchester United inside-out and along with his brother was one of the most loyal players ever to set foot in Old Trafford.

Moyes also was appalled by the lack of a real scouting system and upgraded that. A decent man, too, pity about the inability to handle the position.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

Liverpool is always a scrappy game and you never know how it will turn out.

However, I agree with everything else. And Moyes could at least point to a pretty decent away record.

Mainoldo

Moyes is 100 percent better than Ole. He got a worse side than this 4th for Everton.

stevoc

Moyes is 100 percent better than Ole. He got a worse side than this 4th for Everton.
To be fair Moyes wouldn't have got that Everton side to finish 4th this year or any of the last few years so it's a pretty irrelevant comparison.

Enigma_87

You know who
Moyes probably had a better first 10 months than Ole has but had he stayed I think we have ended up in a similar position as we are right now a anyway.

Moyes took over the champions and a squad packed with talent and experience. Ole would have did much better than he has if he had inherited that side too.
Based on?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Moyes is a far better manager than our current one. Who would've thought we would end up in this position when we sacked him five years ago? :lol:

Mainoldo

To be fair Moyes wouldn't have got that Everton side to finish 4th this year or any of the last few years so it's a pretty irrelevant comparison.
But yet we want to give him time because Fergie got it in the 80’s. The irony.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
One started with the champions, the other took over a broken team in freefall.
de Gea
Rafael Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Carrick Cleverley
Valencia Rooney Welbeck
van Persie

de Gea
Young Lindelof Smalling Shaw
Matic
Herrera Pogba
Rashford Lukaku Martial
Bare in mind Rio, Vidic & Evra were way passed their prime by that point, the team Ole inherited really wasn't that much worse at all. If anything I'd say it was about even. That same team finished 2nd the season before last.

stevoc

He was competing against Fergie Wenger Mourinho and Rafa
Yeah but there was a set top four back then and then a big drop in quality below that. Liverpool had basically gave up on the league to concentrate on the champions league.

Over the last few years there’s been a top 6 of quality sides.

Loon

:lol:
The amber-toothed one was a shambles. Keys to the kingdom and he set up home in a shed.

Nikelesh Reddy

He was simply not good enough to manage United.Yeah,the infrastructure around the manager was nonexistent back then,but still,Moyes was not even close to being good enough for United....Making him the manager Was a huge blunder....

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Ole has us 14th in the table...
Moyes had RVP, Rooney, Carrick etc. He also had strength in depth. Alex Buttner would be a starter if he is playing for us now.

Most importantly, he took over a bunch of players who had the right mentality.

I don't know how a guy who took the champions, gutted the non playing staff to replace with his Everton men and took us midtable can have an appreciation thread on here.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Anybody can pick an individual score. Means nothing.
Were we 14th after a quarter of a season. No.
I wasn't Moyes biggest fan. But his experience in the PL was perfectly reasonable. Just not suited to a club like Manchester United.

Enigma_87

You know who
Based on the fact he would have had a much better team/squad with much more experience and better quality attacking players obviously.
Moyes has proven to be the better manager than Ole. Having the better team doesn't automatically equal that Ole would've done better.

Your base is not the actual acumen of Ole as a manager, but some wishful thinking.

Ole has proven to relegate Cardiff and hover around 17th place in Championship when Moyes took over and then finish 2nd,5th and 6th in Norway at the time.

There's literally nothing to suggest he would've done better than Moyes, despite inheriting better squad.

Eriku

Yes. And Moyes had the squad of the REIGNING CHAMPIONS.

The lazy comparisons between Ole and Moyes piss me off. The squads are in noooo way comparable. He had Evra, Vidic, Rio, Giggs, Van Persie, Rooney, Carrick... he had proven winners and leaders, which we desperately lack right now.

el3mel

Based on the fact he would have had a much better team/squad with much more experience and better quality attacking players obviously.
Most of the experienced players of the squad were washed out players that left after this season, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Giggs etc. RVP got injured most of the season and started to decline by the next season. Rooney was our most consistent player. The midfield was non existent which was a problem from previous few seasons.

It was not actually that great of squad, needed a massive rebuild.

Last edited:

EwanI Ted

Most of the experienced players of the squad were washed out players that left after this season, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Giggs etc. RVP got injured most of the season and started to decline by the next season. Rooney was our most consistent player. The midfield was non existent which was a problem from previous few seasons.

It was not actually that great of squad, needed.a massive rebuild.
Still a damn sight better than what we have now.

Eriku

Anybody can pick an individual score. Means nothing.
Were we 14th after a quarter of a season. No.
I wasn't Moyes biggest fan. But his experience in the PL was perfectly reasonable. Just not suited to a club like Manchester United.
How about losing 4-1 to City away and 3-0 to City at home?

diarm

Moyes came in and fecked over the club to feed his own fragile ego. He couldn't handle the size of the job and got rid of a generations worth of coaching and playing talent because he was afraid to be challenged. He replaced that winning culture with utter mediocrity and did more damage in his time here than Van Gaal, Jose and Ole combined.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Moyes finished behind Everton in his first season here with the regning champions. And yes Ole does not have the pedigree to be here either.

hobbers

de Gea
Rafael Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Carrick Cleverley
Valencia Rooney Welbeck
van Persie

de Gea
Young Lindelof Smalling Shaw
Matic
Herrera Pogba
Rashford Lukaku Martial
Bare in mind Rio, Vidic & Evra were way passed their prime by that point, the team Ole inherited really wasn't that much worse at all. If anything I'd say it was about even. That same team finished 2nd the season before last.
Nah Moyes inherited a far better squad. He just lacked the personality, character and mentality to utilise it. And I say that as someone who thinks Ole is every bit as tactically inept and unsuited at this level than Moyes was.

Rio Vidic and Evra were past their prime but nowhere close to the pub league level that Matic Young and Mata are at today. Even if you look at the forwards Moyes inherited, beyond that eleven he had Kagawa, Hernandez, Januzaj, Zaha (albeit not the Zaha of today) and Nani. Compared to the squad Mourinho left behind it was an embarrassment of attacking riches, clearly too much for Moyes to wrap his puny brain around.

Without a bit of doubt, two or three key signings in the right areas could have kept that 2013 squad competitive in the league.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Moyes was a much worse managed then Ole.

I mean, imagine if we had 2013 RVP here now... I can only dream.

EwanI Ted

Maybe better names on the paper but on pitch I doubt it was a big difference. LVG got rid of the majority of that squad by Jan of his first season.
Think you're exaggerating. Even by the declining standards of 13-14, I look at the two first team squads and I struggle to see which players now would have got in the squad ahead of their counterparts from back then. Pogba, since we had a huge hole in midfield. Wan-Bissaka as well probably. Maybe Maguire would have got in given our injury problems in defence, and maybe there's space for Martial or Rashford on the bench.