The Deadwoods Assassinated by Babyface

romufc

He wasn't an amazing player, he was a competent and consistent player. The quality of our midfield is so poor, that's all it takes to be a first team starter, competent and consistent. We failed to replace him. We now have Pogba who can be described as mercurial and then other players who are just incompetent or inconsistent (not judging McTomminay yet, he's a young player). Teams need senior players, established professionals - he was one of those.
Yes teams need senior players, so when Mata gets an extension the club is crucified?

Herrera wanted £250k plus? however senior he is, he is not worth that. It was a mistake not signing a CM but Ole has hope in Fred to come good that is why.

romufc

No he didn't. People will beleive anything if it's what they want to hear. Herrera's absence is noticable, which is why we tried to keep him, and it's why PSG signed him.
How is it noticeable? We finished 6th, if we finish anywhere below 6th then yes other than that there is no difference.

P.S He signed a mega contract at PSG, he would have wanted similar wages. He is 29 and we would be paying £250 plus for a 32/33 year old in a few years time.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ra-signs-five-year-deal-psg-manchester-united

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
In fairness, Under Jose we got rid of Depay, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Valdes, Rooney, Januzaj, McNair, Varela and Mkhi over 2 summer windows.

Under LVG we got rid of Welbeck, Nani, Cleverley, Buttner, Hernandez, Fletcher, Bebe, Kagawa, Zaha, Evans and Rafael.

Now, in hindsight not all of these would necessarily be thought of as "deadwood", but at the time no-one was overly upset to see them go.

My point is, we've seen huge shifts in personnel under all our managers after Moyes, and each time we've lauded them for clearing out the clutter. I'm not saying Ole isn't doing this, but our recent record would suggest that we show caution before assuming this is definitely happening.
All that really highlights is just how much shit were in the squad post SAF

Seriously there's not one player you've mentioned I wish were still here (or mourned their departure at the time). tbh the only players we've let go that I do wish were still here are Blind and Herrera and you didn't even mention them :lol:

SirAF

Ageist
The clearout is positive, but the squad is currently VERY light in terms of quality.

NWRed

Yes he was. Apart from his time under Ole, he spent 18 months as first choice striker at our club. It could be argued that we replaced him with Rashford and now Martial is the competition for Rashford, but then it's our left wing that only has James as cover. Either way across our main 3 attacking positions we've gone from having;

Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Mata, Sanchez, Periera

To having;

Rashford, Martial, James, Lingard, Greenwood, Mata, Periera

We've replaced a premier league proven striker with an academy graduate and a senior attacker (albeit a dud) with a championship recruit.

It might work out for us, but it's a risky approach and it hasn't addressed the depth across the attack. We had 3 players we could rely on for goals, and we now have 2 players we can rely on for goals. If James and Greenwood tear it up this season, i'll be wrong and the risk will have been rewarded. If they don't - we're stuffed. Lukaku was our second top scorer last season.
I really don't understand this point of view. Lukaku, although he had a decent strike rate, is the complete antitthesis of how Ole wants to play and so wouldn't, and frankly couldn't, be a first team regular in Ole's system. If he was willing to be a back up then we'd have kept him, but he isn't so left, and rightly so for a player of his ambition. The risk would have been in keeping an overweight underused international striker who could be a disruptive influence and major distraction all season.

Sanchez produced absolutely nothing in 18 months to suggest he could or should be a starter in a team challenging for the top 4, losing him means losing nothing except distraction off the pitch and ineffectual performances on it. He provided so little on the pitch it's almost impossible to lose anyting by replacing him with youngsters, in fact we are likely to gain a better squad with more developed home grown players in the future. Where is the risk?

Enigma_87

You know who
I really don't understand this point of view. Lukaku, although he had a decent strike rate, is the complete antitthesis of how Ole wants to play and so wouldn't, and frankly couldn't, be a first team regular in Ole's system. If he was willing to be a back up then we'd have kept him, but he isn't so left, and rightly so for a player of his ambition. The risk would have been in keeping an overweight underused international striker who could be a disruptive influence and major distraction all season.

Sanchez produced absolutely nothing in 18 months to suggest he could or should be a starter in a team challenging for the top 4, losing him means losing nothing except distraction off the pitch and ineffectual performances on it. He provided so little on the pitch it's almost impossible to lose anyting by replacing him with youngsters, in fact we are likely to gain a better squad with more developed home grown players in the future. Where is the risk?
You will understand as soon as we begin playing 2 times a week and our attacking options are even more limited as of now due to fatigue and injuries.

romufc

That is why Fred never makes the bench even.
It has been 3 games, he came very late to the pre season and played 0 games.

I am sure Fred will be on the bench and starting line up soon.

Someone

Something
Very happy with the clear out, really concerned that we didn't bring in proper replacements, and think this might cost Ole his job.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Finally we are going something good. It's just a loan but it also creates more market for him and Sanchez. It's a clear message that these players are not wanted and even next season they will look for a different club.

We have thin squad in midfield and attack but I don't mind taking short term hit. We struggled in the transfer market as we had too many players in the squad, now with the clear out we can make space for new players.

It would have been even better if it was permanent transfer and also if it was Jones instead of Smalling.

settembrini

Smalling wasn't deadwood. Neither was Herrera. Or Lukaku.

Jones, Rojo and Darmian are definite deadwood. We won't be able to get rid of Jones but if Darmian and Rojo are sold/loaned this window it will be a positive.

Overall though I am pleased with the progress Solskjaer is making with the squad. We have made good signings, we are doing a great job integrating the younger players, we have lost some players I am happy to see the back of. It's not been perfect but it's along the right lines.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
How is it noticeable? We finished 6th, if we finish anywhere below 6th then yes other than that there is no difference.

P.S He signed a mega contract at PSG, he would have wanted similar wages. He is 29 and we would be paying £250 plus for a 32/33 year old in a few years time.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ra-signs-five-year-deal-psg-manchester-united
Firstly, find me the source for that quoted number, secondly, if we are to believe what’s printed, then our initial offer to him was less than what he was on (after being notified of his year extension by post). Think it’s pretty evident, after the way the club dealt with him, he didn’t want to stay here.

We’ve got a better, more settled squad than last year. What a ridiculous metric to use.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Very happy they're going even if it costs us. Sick of seeing these players.

STYLOISRED

The problem with the clearout is there hasnt been any replacements, leaving us rather thin across most of the pitch.
Yes he was. Apart from his time under Ole, he spent 18 months as first choice striker at our club. It could be argued that we replaced him with Rashford and now Martial is the competition for Rashford, but then it's our left wing that only has James as cover. Either way across our main 3 attacking positions we've gone from having;

Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Mata, Sanchez, Periera

To having;

Rashford, Martial, James, Lingard, Greenwood, Mata, Periera

We've replaced a premier league proven striker with an academy graduate and a senior attacker (albeit a dud) with a championship recruit.

It might work out for us, but it's a risky approach and it hasn't addressed the depth across the attack. We had 3 players we could rely on for goals, and we now have 2 players we can rely on for goals. If James and Greenwood tear it up this season, i'll be wrong and the risk will have been rewarded. If they don't - we're stuffed. Lukaku was our second top scorer last season.
I now refer you to this

In fairness, Under Jose we got rid of Depay, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Valdes, Rooney, Januzaj, McNair, Varela and Mkhi over 2 summer windows.

Under LVG we got rid of Welbeck, Nani, Cleverley, Buttner, Hernandez, Fletcher, Bebe, Kagawa, Zaha, Evans and Rafael.

Now, in hindsight not all of these would necessarily be thought of as "deadwood", but at the time no-one was overly upset to see them go.

My point is, we've seen huge shifts in personnel under all our managers after Moyes, and each time we've lauded them for clearing out the clutter. I'm not saying Ole isn't doing this, but our recent record would suggest that we show caution before assuming this is definitely happening.
Which points to the difference between Ole's clear out and the previous management. He is not just clearing and replacing with dud signings but instead taking a gradual method of fixing the deficiencies in our squad. That way, we don't clear deadwood and replace with more deadwood.

Sp00ks11

Yes there will be short term pain, I stick by finishing 6th will be the absolute best we can hope for, but we are finally seeing a proper rebuild here.

Rojo, Darmian and Matic next please!

Next summer's transfer window is MASSIVE.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yes there will be short term pain, I stick by finishing 6th will be the absolute best we can hope for, but we are finally seeing a proper rebuild here.

You would actually want Matic to leave in this window?!

Adisa

No idea who this egg is, but interesting take:

This might be true but we are getting rid of players Ole has shown absolutely no interest in. That's not a financial decision alone.

Enigma_87

You know who
This might be true but we are getting rid of players Ole has shown absolutely no interest in. That's not a financial decision alone.
We got rid of many players under LvG and Jose as well.

Dr. StrangeHate

This is just deconstruction, a rebuild will be when we actually replace them. A good rebuild will be when we replace them with better players.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I'm in two minds. I think he will cost us whenever he plays but we are ridiculously thin in that department.
I think he'll be absolutely fine for Europa League group games / League Cup games etc... even weaker teams at home.

We definitely need the squad for Europa League either way though.

manichester

Ole will be promised players during next summer transfer window, "but due to a major championship being held in the summer of 2020 it will be difficult to get players to move."

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
OP forgot Young to be added to list of deadwood. Oh and Matic and Mata too. Herrera wasn't a deadwood as well. other than that, yeah agree. I am happy with the clear out. Let's see if youngsters grab chance this season, otherwise we will have to look into market again next summer for replacements. But getting rid of deadwood was important. Many of them are seniors who were sitting on big contracts and without really taking us anywhere.

Marnsky

Not really i would get rid of Jones over Smalling any day and players like young and Matic Darmian Jones should of been first to bite the dust . It is a start however but going about it in the wrong order i would of taken sanchez over playing lingard personally and the fact Jesse is english is the only thing he has in his locker .
This. Fortunately we wouldn't have to wait that long. Matic, Young and Darmian contracts are up next summer. I am positive all three will leave. This leaves us with Jones but then if he can play a part role like Young is doing now we should be in a better place come the start of next season hopefully with better players brought in to replace those moved on. Plenty Tobe excited about.

theklr

Somehow i think you will be dissapointed with the next transfer windows..:(

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He gave Mata a fecking 3 year deal. Credit is reserved on that basis, a ridiculous decision.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Also, being hailed as the assassin of deadwood, and yet keeping Darmian around is like doing a great job of redecorating your bathroom and forgetting to put in the toilet.

Basically, Darmian is toilet.

NWRed

You will understand as soon as we begin playing 2 times a week and our attacking options are even more limited as of now due to fatigue and injuries.
In an injury crisis what exactly is the benefit of playing Sanchez over Dalot, Chong or Gomes, or even giving Elanga a game? Sanchez offers so little we'd be no worse off and potentially gain quite a bit.

romufc

Firstly, find me the source for that quoted number, secondly, if we are to believe what’s printed, then our initial offer to him was less than what he was on (after being notified of his year extension by post). Think it’s pretty evident, after the way the club dealt with him, he didn’t want to stay here.

We’ve got a better, more settled squad than last year. What a ridiculous metric to use.

1. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ntract-after-5-seasons-with-manchester-united

2. https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ra-signs-five-year-deal-psg-manchester-united

3. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...oves-ever-closer-manchester-united-exit-move/

4. https://www.90min.com/posts/6333101...vealed-as-man-utd-refuse-to-be-held-to-ransom

If you want direct sources, sorry I dont have contact details of the United hierarchy who deal with contracts.

Actually, the club didn't offer him a contract until he had agreed to join PSG.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Also, being hailed as the assassin of deadwood, and yet keeping Darmian around is like doing a great job of redecorating your bathroom and forgetting to put in the toilet.

There is nothing he can do for the players who don't get offers. It's not like Ole is rejecting offers for Darmian.

Dinghy

Finally were seeing some of these players leave the club. I'll probably be disappointed once again, but I'm expecting the club to make some proper reinforcements in the next two transfer windows.

Alemar

You would actually want Matic to leave in this window?!
I would. It’s better to play Lingard in his position if need be - Jesse can actually run around. Matic is disfunctional to the highest extent possible - there is no doubt Garner (in his current state) would also be a better option. So would of course Fred.

Adisa

I think he'll be absolutely fine for Europa League group games / League Cup games etc... even weaker teams at home.

We definitely need the squad for Europa League either way though.
True but does Matic fancy that.

Tbf, it's not on Ole. Ole has made clear who he doesn't fancy by leaving the likes of Rojo, Damian etc out. Up to the club and players to find a solution.

romufc

I now refer you to this

Which points to the difference between Ole's clear out and the previous management. He is not just clearing and replacing with dud signings but instead taking a gradual method of fixing the deficiencies in our squad. That way, we don't clear deadwood and replace with more deadwood.
This is the problem. Fans calling for getting rid of deadwood then blasting the club for not replacing them?

You dont replace deadwood, there is a reason that they are deadwood. You get rid of deadwood, then you take a step back and plan on identifying positions within the current team that need improving.

What if we haven't replaced this deadwood and Rashford, Martial, James, McT have a great season? It makes the job easier next season where you sign players that will fit into the system.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I would. It’s better to play Lingard in his position if need be - Jesse can actually run around. Matic is disfunctional to the highest extent possible - there is no doubt Garner (in his current state) would also be a better option. So would of course Fred.
... you would play Lingard as a holding midfielder?

Jesse Lingard? J Lingz... 5ft 8... Youngest 26 yr old ever... shouts beanz a lot Jesse Lingard? at holding midfield?

Also there is a doubt in Garner being better because frankly he has never had to play at that level before. Any time you're putting in a youngster there is doubt.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So no, you don't have a source. You could have just said that instead of posting a load of links from some pretty incredible sites.

No, but, even if we did go along with your order of the events, why on Earth would he feel compelled to stay if PSG offered him a contract before we did, after being at the club for nearly 5 years, winning player of the year in the process?

kopviolator

We've sold Fellaini for a modern fee and we've sold Lukaku at a loss as well. Herrera and Valencia were released for nothing, we're paying to get rid of Sanchez and now we're loaning Smalling.

I'm all for the clearout but it is disheartening to see the results of the club's failed management. I sincerely hope this is rock bottom.