The Decline of FC Barcelona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonnie

Today makes it as clear as ever that they are so clearly in decline. Go back to 2009 or 2011 and no way were they as reliant on Messi to even make a chance as they are these days. It's a testament to how good he is of course, but it is also laughable to suggest that they are as good as they were during the Pep era. Not sure why people would suggest they'll get better because Xavi doesn't have long left, and Iniesta is getting older as well. That in itself is all that's needed to say they're in decline, from best team ever to just one of the top teams around Europe.
Iniesta is better than he was back in 09 certainly. At his prime right now. But yeah, agree with the rest of that. I think decline is the wrong word though - maybe 'regressed from being out on their own as the best team by far' might be a better way of putting it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Regale us with the swathes of evidence that debunks this theory so.

If you think tonight was evidence that they are as good as ever, I'm not sure you were watching the game. The Barcelona of old would have swatted PSG aside with the minimum of fuss and ran out convincing winners. Tonight also backs up a lot of posters' thoughts regarding Barcelona without Messi.
They're still an amazing side but if you don't think they've declined in the last 2 years you're talking out of your hat.
You guys should stop with interpreting and just simply read I wrote.You just immediately assumed I meant they're not in decline.What I really said and meant is that their decline is great, many teams in the world would love to go through it.
Their decline is still allowing them to compete for the biggest titles.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
You guys should stop with interpreting and just simply read I wrote.You just immediately assumed I meant they're not in decline.What I really said and meant is that their decline is great, many teams in the world would love to go through it.
Their decline is still allowing them to compete for the biggest titles.
Gotcha.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Really? Was he injured for last seasons champions league then? I takes more than messi to win it, its not enough to just have messi when players around him are in various stages of decline, out of form or just not on the same level, do you think they'd have found it as easy tonight had they been playing bayern? I doubt it
In recent years, it's been shown that the only way they fail to win the CL each year is down to a side producing a miracle in the SF, having a lot of luck and parking the bus.

Shark

@NotShark
Why is decline the wrong word to use? decline doesn't always have to be a major thing, as it's clearly not in Barca's case but it's hardly a 'wrong' word to use.

On the pitch Barca have declined, that shouldn't be even up for debate on here. However as Kouroux said, they're still competing for the highest of honors.

Comsmit

They'll say we're Barca-haters (:lol:) and it's just because of a couple of missing players but that's ignoring the fact that Xavi's simply not at the level he once was and they're not dominating as they used to. Plus it looks like a few years of that incredible pressing game has really taken its toll and they're just not capable of it any more.
They peaked at the 2011 Champions League Final. It was always going to be impossible to maintain the unbelievable standards set under Guardiola, that 2011 side is the best club team I have ever witnessed. They are still a brilliant team but can be hurt easier than over the past 2 years.

The thread title is a tad misleading as they are not in decline, merely not as good as the ridiculous 2011 vintage. Barcelona are still brilliant enough to be dominating the Primera and into yet another Champions League semi-final.

Agree with Brwned about Xavi. I don't think he shifts the ball as quick and as fluently as even a year ago.

wr8_utd

:'(
The Decline continues. Champions of Spain and now into the semis of the CL.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
They peaked at the 2011 Champions League Final. It was always going to be impossible to maintain the unbelievable standards set under Guardiola, that 2011 side is the best club team I have ever witnessed. They are still a brilliant team but can be hurt easier than over the past 2 years.

The thread title is a tad misleading as they are not in decline, merely not as good as the ridiculous 2011 vintage. Barcelona are still brilliant enough to be dominating the Primera and into yet another Champions League semi-final.

Agree with Brwned about Xavi. I don't think he shifts the ball as quick and as fluently as even a year ago.
I think the best Barca team ever is the one that did the treble in 09 and followed it with all the supercopa and club WC trophies.The football they played in that season was unreal, I remember the 6-2 win vs Real Madrid.
Some fecking sublime goals, Messi and Alves linking up on the right wing :drool:

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I think the best Barca team ever is the one that did the treble in 09 and followed it with all the supercopa and club WC trophies.The football they played in that season was unreal, I remember the 6-2 win vs Real Madrid.
Some fecking sublime goals, Messi and Alves linking up on the right wing :drool:
Sextuple

Aboutreika18

I think the 2011 side was probably better overall than the Treble side, despite not winning as many honours.

Their ruthless pressing game was at it's peak, whereas the 2009 side didn't monopolise possession to the same degree. Didn't we have slightly more of the ball in the 2009 final?

Comsmit

Fair play I can't argue with you there. I just feel that in 2010-2011 the two performances that summed up their genius were the 5-0 against Real at Camp Nou and the 3-1 (flattering to us) scoreline against United.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
That was a perfect year.Every single trophy available won.It cannot get better than that.
That's why I always say it can't be bettered...Even Pep said it after that season, everything that could/would follow would pale in comparison

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Iniesta is better than he was back in 09 certainly. At his prime right now. But yeah, agree with the rest of that. I think decline is the wrong word though - maybe 'regressed from being out on their own as the best team by far' might be a better way of putting it.
I agree that Iniesta is as good as ever right now, probably didn't write that clearly but I meant that it's unlikely that he'll still be this good a few years from now. He's 28 now and will probably be out of his prime in a few years, and it's highly unlikely that any player out there can replace him and bring in the same quality that him and Xavi do right now.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Without being near their brilliant best they have walked home in La Liga and made it to the semi finals in the CL.

Its not a bad decline to be in.

Before Messi arrived tonight they were very poor. And just his appearance lifted the whole side and the crowd too.

If he gets a long term inury, then we might really see a decline. Its not that they dont have plenty of amazing players, but they all seem too reliant on Messi. Which I guess is understandable.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I didn't see the game tonight because I was watching the golf, but I see that Thiago and Tello both were on the scoresheet in a comfortable away win at Zaragoza. Barcelona also fielded Bartra and Montoya, and that's an impressive result considering they rested Iniesta and Messi.

These youngsters have a lot to live up to considering what's gone before them, but it's nice to see them getting game time and being victorious.

Blackwidow

I didn't see the game tonight because I was watching the golf, but I see that Thiago and Tello both were on the scoresheet in a comfortable away win at Zaragoza. Barcelona also fielded Bartra and Montoya, and that's an impressive result considering they rested Iniesta and Messi.

These youngsters have a lot to live up to considering what's gone before them, but it's nice to see them getting game time and being victorious.
I haven't seen the match - only looked at whoscored - but what surprised me was that (possession statistics like usually - 65% for Barcelona) Barcelona had 11 shots whereas their opponent had 12.

LR7

Is this thread bumped every time Barcelona play in the hope that there is at least some faint evidence of a decline?

Buchan

I didn't see all of their game tonight but saw enough to suggest that they lacked a distinct cutting edge in the attacking third. This, of course, without Messi. You'd expect Barcelona to dominate possession, which they did, but that alone isn't enough to say they're as good as ever. They look toothless and devoid of inspiration without Leo and it's apparent more than ever as to his importance to them.

I'm looking forward to the midweek game against Bayern. Many expect this game to be a "changing of the guard" as such, but it would be foolish to totally write off Barcelona just yet. Any team that possesses the genius of Messi and Iniesta alone cannot be completely dismissed. Bayern have looked supremely confident in this season's competition, but they tend to crumble when they are expected to win. Indeed two Champions League Final failures in three seasons (embarrassingly, one even on the own ground) suggests they have a lot of baggage to overcome so who knows which Bayern we'll see over the two-legged tie. Either way, we should be entertained with the talent on show.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I didn't see all of their game tonight but saw enough to suggest that they lacked a distinct cutting edge in the attacking third. This, of course, without Messi. You'd expect Barcelona to dominate possession, which they did, but that alone isn't enough to say they're as good as ever. They look toothless and devoid of inspiration without Leo and it's apparent more than ever as to his importance to them.

I'm looking forward to the midweek game against Bayern. Many expect this game to be a "changing of the guard" as such, but it would be foolish to totally write off Barcelona just yet. Any team that possesses the genius of Messi and Iniesta alone cannot be completely dismissed. Bayern have looked supremely confident in this season's competition, but they tend to crumble when they are expected to win. Indeed two Champions League Final failures in three seasons (embarrassingly, one even on the own ground) suggests they have a lot of baggage to overcome so who knows which Bayern we'll see over the two-legged tie. Either way, we should be entertained with the talent on show.
Really? Never thought of that. Messi, Iniesta and Busquets are still young enough to dominate football for at least 7-8 years and it shouldn't be too difficult to build a great team around those 3. There can't be "many" people out there who think Bayern will have a superior team to Barca the next years? Barca are still favorites to go through and win the CL btw. I really start to think I'm underrating my own team.

Bayern played an outstanding season so far. The way they came back after the disappointing ending of last season is really impressive. I don't think there's any baggage to overcome for Bayern in the semi final and I don't think you should read too much into this tie. Barca had lots of problems this season, lots of injuries and the coach missing for month. Barca going through doesn't mean Bayern's mentality needs to be questioned, Bayern going through doesn't mean they will be the new Barca - in the sense of the team to beat in europe for years. It's just a two legged tie between two great teams, that's it.

Buchan

The worst I've seen Barcelona play in a long, long while. Toothless in attack and woeful at the back. Bayern are utlising their game plan to a tee.

Imagine Gotze in this Bayern team, along with Kroos back to full fitness. Scary.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
It's amazing how un-arsed Messi looks at the moment. Alves got almost to the corner of the 6 yard box then but Messi's just ambling around the edge of the box!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think the 2011 side was probably better overall than the Treble side, despite not winning as many honours.

Their ruthless pressing game was at it's peak, whereas the 2009 side didn't monopolise possession to the same degree. Didn't we have slightly more of the ball in the 2009 final?
It's a bit like the comparisons between Spain's 2008, 2010 and 2012 vintages. They increasingly dominated the ball in each tournament, yet their attack was at its most vibrant in 2008. Much like Barcelona's front three of Eto'o, Henry and Messi was a more decisive blend than what they've got now or in 2010/11. But by bringing in Busquets for Toure and Pedro for Eto'o their ball retention improved (and has probably got better still with Alba for Abidal).

Shark

@NotShark
They remind me of Arsenal tonight.

When Messi isn't there or on his game, they really are toothless.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
They never used to be "toothless" without Messi. They've become over-reliant, like the Lion is reliant on the Savana. They need to become like the healthy leopards, whom can adapt to their surroundings.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Messi is nowhere near fit. It's not that he isn't arsed.
Yeah I take that comment back, Messi is clearly not even close to being fit like you say. I just assumed he wasn't up for it but his movement looks so awkward.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
They never used to be "toothless" without Messi. They've become over-reliant, like the Lion is reliant on the Savana. They need to become like the healthy leapords, whom can adapt to their surroundings.
:lol:

fecking hell mate, don't stretch it too far.

Scrumpet

There are no words
They never used to be "toothless" without Messi. They've become over-reliant, like the Lion is reliant on the Savana. They need to become like the healthy leopards, whom can adapt to their surroundings.
So in this analogy, toothless Barcelona is the lion?

Shark

@NotShark
:lol:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Definitely just as good as they used to be :wenger:

Baxter

The amount of fannying around is unreal. Absolutely no incision whatsoever.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Forget Falcao and Bale, I think we should be making Messi our main summer target. He won't feel so attached to that club now.

Status
Not open for further replies.