The Decline of FC Barcelona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Milan lost to a poor arsenal side 3-0 so they're more than capable of doing the same again. reckon barca will beat them easily at home.
Should've gone through in that tie as well if RVP didn't try to be clever trying to dink the keeper 2 yards from goal instead of smashing it in to make it 4-0. Milan were scared as feck in that second leg..got no doubts if Barca get the first goal they'll go through. An open game plays into their hands

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
They're going to lose and decline someday so its not a surprise. The real exciting thing is to see whether Barca can arrest a possible decline and minimise this down period or transition period that will follow if they produce these sorts of performances over next few years.

In my opinion they need another top striker/wide player in the mould of a Villa... guys like Sanchez don't cut it for me. Neymar and Suarez would be great additions.

I think Thiago needs to be given more influence and Xavi's role lessen a tad or rested more often, Busquets, Iniesta and Thiago and I think defensively... there needs to be full backs with slightly more end product (just tell alves and alba to shoot/cross more often) and centre-backs with pace, which strangely Madrid possess.

Hummels, Suarez, Neymar.. they need to inject some new talent asap and not rest on their laurels.

To be honest, they've been without a coach and just think of a United side without Fergie at the helm on a regular basis, so it must be difficult for them.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Milan lost to a poor arsenal side 3-0 so they're more than capable of doing the same again. reckon barca will beat them easily at home.
They were still two goals away from losing.

RedLars

Whether they're the best team in the world or not depends on the time spam you're analysing. Arguably any team can lose that "title" after a single loss if you want to be extremely reductive.
That's a good point. One can essentially draw the lines where one sees fit to strengthen the argument being put forth in a discussion like this where we're discussing such fine margins.

Shark

@NotShark
And those grow on David Villa-trees, don't they?
Yeah, sure I have one out my back garden. :p

I didn't mean it in that way, I just think that they need somebody clinical up front. They're heavily reliant on Messi's goals at the moment and I'd seriously worry for them if he got injured for a long period.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
It's irrelevant. Why don't they have a coach? As soon as Vilanova relapsed, they should have found an interim replacement to stand in and steady the ship, until the end of the season. They have themselves to blame for that.
It's as relevant as people considering injuries when judging the strength of teams, and it seems to happen pretty often.

They might have themselves to blame, sure, but it's still a context. They had a manager two months ago, when everything seemed to be going smoothly, now they haven't.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
He has a point, to an extent. They've looked virtually unbeatable for 3-4 years and whenever they lost, it was due to extreme luck and brilliant collective performance especially in defence by their opposition (Chelsea, Inter, Real in Copa del Rey final). In a space of a week they've been convincingly outplayed twice and look like heading out of two competitions already, this hasn't happened recently and shows that it's possible to beat them without parking the bus.

Of course they'll improve and might again turn into the force in just a few weeks but their European performances this season have been below par and you wouldn't have seen them getting beaten like this a year or two ago.
Good post,they're in bad form but big deal.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Nah, they just need another quality CB, and a more direct attacker. As crazy as it sounds, Suarez would be a decent buy for them. Could play on the left and offer something different. They need more goals in the side, as apart from Messi, who really scores regularly? And to whoever said their academy isnt producing players, Thiago is a quality player. He'll be amazing in a few years, and although I dont know their academy players inside out, I'm sure they'll still produce quality players. Maybe not to the level of Iniesta and Xavi, but ffs, they are some of the best players in the world!

They'll still be the team to beat next season though.

RedLars

Yeah, sure I have one out my back garden. :p

I didn't mean it in that way, I just think that they need somebody clinical up front. They're heavily reliant on Messi's goals at the moment and I'd seriously worry for them if he got injured for a long period.
Yeah, I agree. I just think they'll find it difficult to find someone who will fit into their style of play and being of the same quality as a David Villa at his best! They way they play is so set in stone they can't just go out and buy the flavor of the week striker and immediately improve, just look at how it worked out for Zlatan there. They would need someone with the right type of attitude as well, who would also settle for playing second fiddle to Messi.

stubie

The OP is poor

Barcelona will still win the league and be stronger next year once the manager returns to health.

Revan

Assumptionman
They'll still be the team to beat next season though.
Not sure about this. If Bayern continue the good job they are doing, they could be the best in next few years. Also, a good midfielder or two and we will be there too. It's good that in next few years possibly we will not have 'a team to beat' but more likely there will be football like in the last decade when there were a few good teams that could win everything.

Shark

@NotShark
Yeah, I agree. I just think they'll find it difficult to find someone who will fit into their style of play and being of the same quality as a David Villa at his best! They way they play is so set in stone they can't just go out and buy the flavor of the week striker and immediately improve, just look at how it worked out for Zlatan there. They would need someone with the right type of attitude as well, who would also settle for playing second fiddle to Messi.
As others have said, Suarez wouldn't be a bad option for them, would he? he's no David Villa(yet), but he'd fit they're system IMO and has been quite clinical this season.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I dont think there will be a team to beat next year. Bayern, Barca, Madrid, Juventus, Dortmund and us will all be considered approximately the same level.

Amir

They look a lot like at the end of the Rijkaard years. They'll hold the ball, pass, pass, pass, get nowhere, end up being picked on the break or something. It's hardly as if they need a rebuild or something, just the odd update. Having a coach will help.

Revan

Assumptionman
As others have said, Suarez wouldn't be a bad option for them, would he? he's no David Villa(yet), but he'd fit they're system IMO and has been quite clinical this season.
He will suit their style of play perfectly but there is doubt if he is psychologically good enough to play for them, especially if he is prepared to bow to Messi. One thing is sure though, he is a good enough diver which seems to be a pre-requisite for being a success there.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
You don't have to be genius to figure out what's happening with them.

Their worst results in probably last five years or more came at time when they lost their manager because of his health problems.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The OP is poor

Barcelona will still win the league and be stronger next year once the manager returns to health.
Winning the league isn't really a big deal when Real conceded it in November/December already. Obviously winning La Liga is important to both clubs but I reckon they value Champions League significantly higher (if I'm wrong, please correct me any of you Spanish fans). I remember when del Bosque won the league with Real but lost a CL semi-final against Juventus which cost him the job in 2003.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Barcelona need (as much as a team as good as Barcelona could possibly need anything) another top class forward, winger, wide forward, inside forward, etc. Someone else with a bit of oomph and a top class goalscoring threat basically. With questions over Villa and the lack of an Eto'o, they're dependence on a Messi that can sometimes look a bit static and disinterested can leave them looking a lot more predictable than the team that twatted us a couple of years ago.

I can see why they're supposed to be interested in Neymar. I can't really say I know how he's fairing currently, but they need a bit of a goalscoring/creative injection on the wings/in attack to supplement the whole Messi machine. That's not to say that goals are coming from Messi and nowhere else, but it all seems less potent and varied in their approach currently. Messi has completely changed his style of play over the course of the last two/three years and in a way they've lost some explosiveness and variation because of that.

The 'decline' makes sense looking at that last factor with the new Messi, the lack of an Eto'o, the uncertainty with Villa and the inferior Xavi (and the subsequent impact that has had on a team in my opinion that has visibly been different in style in the first place with Villanova). Barca's brilliance in that all-conquering year came from being able to assert complete control of a game whilst also having the variation to destroy a team as well as strangle the life out of them. With Vilanova I'd say there has been at least a noticeable shift away from the complete strangling of opponents towards a slightly greater emphasis on quicker tempo football, but at the moment they lack the players to match the 2010/11 team in either style.

They're still almost certainly the best team in the world though, and if Milan knock them out it will be absolutely fantastic news for ourselves and the rest of Europe.

S.A.N.F

It's because PEDs are under the spotlight again, they are not taking them anymore.

Castia

They've only lost 1 league game all season and the Milan tie is only half time. No doubt the Madrid game was a bad result but they are far from finished, I mean would it really surprise anyone if they batter Milan and then go on to win the Champions League? Im half expecting it.

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Yea and our rivals have been saying the same thing about us for 20 years. Perhaps there might be a slight decline in barca's results but they're still the best team in the world.

Moby

Dick
Not a good time to make this thread, when their manager is absent due to health issues. They were sailing without any concern about a month or so back, and will again once the management has been sorted.

wonnie

As fantastic as Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and Fabregas are, all 4 of them in the same XI does congest the middle a fair bit. And with Messi playing more centrally than he was 3,4 years ago they've relied on his brilliance (which to be fair is practically cheating) to claim the wins at the expense of width.

The addition of Alba has been good for them and I think they just need to keep freshening things up (which they've done very well over the past 5 years). No crisis here providing they can keep evolving.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I think their only weakness as of now is their central defense. After Puyol, I guess Mascherano can take over alongside Pique but you need a good back up pairing in case of injuries or rest. Plus Alves is on the decline. He can start for another year or two but after that he will need replacing as well.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Teams have become more and more familiar in ways in which to defeat them, happens with every top team. This Barcelona side are the number one side, and have been since '09. Teams raise their game when playing them, it takes a lot of hard work and discipline to defeat them. Rather than criticising this Barcelona side, I think it's the teams that have defeated them that deserve a lot of praise. Madrid, Milan, and Celtic, all came with a game plan they knew would work once they worked hard and maintained discipline. Also, sometimes players have off days, it happens. Not having a manager present wouldn't help either.

I still maintain we wouldn't beat this Barcelona side.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Although flaws have appeared in their game, such as reduced effectiveness in winning the ball back in the final third - I think these are temporary hiccups and I can see them coming back very strong next year.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
They are definitely going to spend this summer. Whether its selling Villa and getting Neymar or buying another central defender, you can be sure they will spend some money.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
They'll probably beat Milan 3-0, go all the way in Europe, and wrap up the league with a month to spare.

There'll still the only team I fear in Europe. Mainly because I know we wouldn't set out with eleven men defending like Milan, Madrid, or Celtic.

TheRisingSun

Banned
I think it's fair to ask the question. It was one thing losing to us (Chelsea) in the CL last season, but at least at our place they still played some great stuff and created loads of chances. The last two games they've been uncharacteristically disjointed and seemingly lacking in ideas.

I'm sure they will bounce back, but they don't look like the same team as they did at their very peak.

I don't think I'm being reactionary in saying that. It's not the results, it's the manner of the performances. I certainly wouldn't be writing them off, though.

TheRisingSun

Banned
They'll probably beat Milan 3-0, go all the way in Europe, and wrap up the league with a month to spare.

There'll still the only team I fear in Europe. Mainly because I know we wouldn't set out with eleven men defending like Milan, Madrid, or Celtic.
Isn't that almost exactly what you did in '08?

Status
Not open for further replies.