The Double Draft

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Was George Best a midfielder, what's the consensus? I would've surely put him in "forwards" category.
Sorry for nitpicking but those picks will make or break too many teams.
Seems more natural to class him as a forward in this context, I agree.

It can easily become a bit tricky no matter what, though, since there are only three categories. Ideally, you'd want separate categories for both lateral defenders and ditto midfielders/wingers. A certain kind of attacking midfielder will pose a similar problem - could just as easily be classed as a forward, etc.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
1. Legacy 2. DoFI Defender 2. DoFI Midfielder 3. DoFI Forward

Mazhar13
-
Joga bonito -
Cal? -
harms - 1. Wilfried van Moer 2. Facchetti 3. Rijkaard 4. R Baggio
RedTiger/Marty -
Tuppet - 1. Matt Le Tissier 2. Scirea 3. P R Falcao 4. Pele
P-Nut -
Chesterlestreet - 1. Carrick 2. Figueroa 3. Neeskens 4. Cryuff
DavidG 1. Michel Bastos 2. Cafu 3. Iniesta 4. G Muller
Sjor - 1. Scholl 2. Moore 3. Xavi 4. Cristiano
Invictus - 1. Butragueño 2. Maldini 3. Matthaus 4. Messi
Enigma - 1. Hans-Peter Briegel 2. Baresi 3. Ronaldinho 4. Van Basten
Raees -
Skizzo/Pat -
ctp -
Downcast - 1. Ginola 2. Beckenbauer 3. Keane 4. Ronaldo

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
And now the remaining managers have to update the post above (unless EAP wants to spend a lot of time to collect himself the choices of each manager)

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Legacy - Horst Höttges
DoFI: Defender - Krol
DoFI: Midfielder- Breitner
DoFI: Forward - Romario

Willing to change the Höttges nomination if people have issues with it. He's too good for that category but is barely picked/recognised in general.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Was Hans-Peter Briegel too good to be a legacy? I've never heard of him
Yeah, he's too good.

That said, if the benchmark is supposed to be Brown, you could probably question some of the other choices as well. In fact, everyone so far is above Brown's level, strictly speaking. They're more than simply decent players. I suppose the key will be to keep them at roughly the same level.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah. I don't to tweak excepting the obvious now. Once we get the full list, it'll be easier to identify the exceptions.
Aye, I think that's a good way to do it: Just let people nominate, and then you can weed out the obvious outliers if necessary when the list is full.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
1. 1. Paul Ince 2. Nesta 3.Zidane 4. Maradona

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Updated.

4. Maradona
as a Forward?

1. Legacy 2. DoFI Defender 2. DoFI Midfielder 3. DoFI Forward

Mazhar13
-
Joga bonito - 1. Hottges 2. Krol 3. Breitner 4. Romario
Cal? -
RedTiger/Marty -
P-Nut -
Raees - 1. Ince 2. Nesta 3. Zidane 4. Maradona
Skizzo/Pat -
ctp -

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Legacy - ole gunnar solskjaer
DoFI: Defender - Vogts
DoFI: Midfielder - Scholes
DoFI: Forward - Ibrahimovic

Doing this off the top of my head so hopefully I've got the hang of it.

EDIT:
Mazhar13 -
Cal? -
RedTiger/Marty -
P-Nut - 1. Solskjaer 2. Vogts 3. Scholes 4. Ibrahimovic
Skizzo/Pat -
ctp -

Deleted member 101472

EDIT:
Mazhar13 -
Cal? -
RedTiger/Marty -
P-Nut - 1. Solskjaer 2. Vogts 3. Scholes 4. Ibrahimovic
DavidG 1. Angelo Di livio 2. Cafu 3. Iniesta 4. G Muller
Skizzo/Pat -
ctp -

ctp

Legacy - Bernd Schneider
DoFI: Defender - Philipp Lahm
DoFI: Midfielder - József Bozsik
DoFI: Forward - George Best

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'm really unsure between these two legacy players that I'm thinking of picking. One is a potential sheep, and the other is very unknown. Choices...

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm really unsure between these two legacy players that I'm thinking of picking. One is a potential sheep, and the other is very unknown. Choices...
If he's a potential sheep there's not much point to nominating him, as he'll no doubt end up being rejected anyway. Same for the other guy if he's too obscure.

As I see it these legacy boys shouldn't be that hard to nominate. You're not supposed to outsmart anyone, just pick a decent (in an all-time setting) player people will be familiar with.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
This is very standard. I was expecting some difficult to build around players more to make life difficult for others! Mmmmm.

I'd have nominated someone with a single unique skill set forcing managers with reduced options and all that.

You lot aren't evil enough.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Legacy - Hans Tilkowski
DoFI: Defender - Rio Ferdinand
DoFI: Midfielder - Michael Laudrup
DoFI: Forward - Thierry Henry

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This is very standard. I was expecting some difficult to build around players more to make life difficult for others! Mmmmm.

I'd have nominated someone with a single unique skill set forcing managers with reduced options and all that.

You lot aren't evil enough.
Since the picks are randomized anyway, you could end up with the fiendishly clever pick yourself. And the more managers who try to be evil, the greater the chance of ending up with a one-dimensional gimp.

Thus, an evil manager who isn't - also - a reckless fool will go for a bland but useful pick rather than a clever one who could potentially feck someone else over.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Since the picks are randomized anyway, you could end up with the fiendishly clever pick yourself. And the more managers who try to be evil, the greater the chance of ending up with a one-dimensional gimp.
That's the point of a good draft.

Thus, an evil manager who isn't - also - a reckless fool will go for a bland but useful pick rather than a clever one who could potentially feck someone else over.
Boring. This draft needs Anto back!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Says the man who made the rules. You provide people with toy guns and then moan about them not killing each other.

ETA:

What I'm saying is simply that if you want bloodshed you have to lay the foundations for it – it won't happen in a normal draft (and this is a fairly normal draft), because there's usually no real advantage to be had from positively undermining the other managers. Generally, it's more profitable to simply focus on your own team – and I don't see this draft as any different in that regard. There are snags, that people are aware of, but they aren't of a nature which makes it natural to go about making outrageous moves in order to feck things up for others.

Sure, you can possibly manage to gain a slight edge if you

a) nominate a legacy player who is high maintenance in one way or another; someone who is not versatile at all, for instance, or someone it will be difficult to sell in anything but one particular formation and

b) luck out on who you draw in round 1. But the latter is pure chance, and pure chance can feck you over too – you can end up with the player yourself.

And, lastly, the player himself can't be an outrageous choice in any way – he can't differ wildly from the other legacy players: So, what you have to do is to come up with something like a subtly unsuitable player within a certain range – which just strikes me as a waste of effort, given the odds of this “evil” move actually paying off.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Fair enough suppose it's personal preferences
It's not personal. Objectively he has done nothing to merit being among the goat strikers. Yes he has won league titles but that isn't enough.. thats a mere footnote for the all time greats.

P-Nut

Scored countless goals in lots of major different leagues. He is good with his feet for a small player never mind a giant like he is. Scores all types of goals, with lots looking seemingly impossible, has the strength to play as a a target man and I'm his younger days definitely wasn't slow. On top of all that he is great in the air and has developed his game to be able to drop deeper and play others through. Don't know what is missing from being a top striker personally.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Scored countless goals in lots of major different leagues. He is good with his feet for a small player never mind a giant like he is. Scores all types of goals, with lots looking seemingly impossible, has the strength to play as a a target man and I'm his younger days definitely wasn't slow. On top of all that he is great in the air and has developed his game to be able to drop deeper and play others through. Don't know what is missing from being a top striker personally.
His mentality and lack of mobility at the highest level. At Barcelona he looked too slow and immobile.. similar to how Bervatov slowed us down in 08/09 and at PSG.. they had several games where they could have got into semis of CL but he would miss chances and was poor in general play too. He chokes at that level of football. Is that harsh .. maybe but if he wants to be classified alongside Puskas and Romario etc you can't have question marks about your ability at the very highest level and he does.

In terms of talent of course he deserves to be up there but then again so would Wayne Rooney.

P-Nut

Yeah granted he didn't fit in at Barcelona but that was more a stylistic issue than anything else I'd say. The PSG squad has never quite matched the top squads in Europe whilst he has been there. Blaming not getting into the semis on zlatan is abit over the top for me as he's probably one if the main reasons they make it to the quarters year on year. Like I said it's personal preference. There is no definitive list of greatest strikers so of course it's down to how each person feels.

On the Rooney comparison if he achieved his potential and played to a consistent level I would have had him ear marked for a slot up there. That is something zlatan has done, he does it year on year.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
'United legacy' would have been a good idea too.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think changing the Ibra nomination makes sense. He isn't among the 16 best "forwards" (a category which might include wingers, old school inside forwards, more modern second strikers, #10s, wide forwards, and so forth, in addition to pure strikers) in football history - clearly not, I'd say.

Last edited: