The English contingent at our club

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s from bleeding Carlisle, Brummies are closer to being Manc than he is!

Anyway, I’m glad folk are enjoying a solid away win away from home against a very tough side that we usually draw with by… laying into a group of our own players, the overwhelming majority of which didn’t even step on the pitch.
This thread has nothing to do with today's win.

I was actually meant to make it last week, but I cba typing all of that on a mobile. But lucky for you, I'm on a laptop today.

TheGame

Hard to evaluate some of them given the turbulence and constant manager swapping we've done over the past decade. But yeah, at least half of them have been underwhelming. The Maguire in particular was a complete waste of money that could've gone elsewhere.
Does their poor performance make them ‘bad eggs’? If so, you could say the whole squad were ‘bad eggs’ last season.

jameyzane

The best we can do is break them up and get a new contingent in and see what happens. We haven't introduced any talented English lad in ages since Greenwood.

BuzzKillington

My take away from this and some other similar threads is there seems to be a weirdly large group of fans who support our English club that seem to actively hate the English, somebody above even seems to have a problem with Mancunians. You guys are fecking weird. Or there must be some place in the world where which club you support is mandated rather than you being able to choose one for yourself.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Could just as easily be a thread on "The Portuguese contingent" stupid thread.
Ronaldo - pretty toxic.

Fernandes - nothing wrong with his attitude other than when he flaps his arms about, and plays better when Ronaldo is off the pitch. Gives it his all on the pitch, although it always doesn't come off. Needs to be more careful on the ball.

Dalot - he's a trier. Might not be the best, but he puts in the effort, and come across like someone that wants to improve week in week out.

Shall we expand to 'Portuguese speaking' contingent?

Fred - similar to Dalot. No complaints about his effort, application and the way he comes across. He might not be the best, but he gives it his all.

Classical Mechanic

Maguire, Shaw, Rashford - their attitudes are all wrong. Personally, I think it could be because they've had relative success with England, play for a massive club such as United, and we've rewarded mediocrity with large bloated contracts. Maguire I think will do much better where there is less scrutiny.

AWB - nothing wrong with the attitude, but the quality is just not there.

Sancho - no complaints.

Henderson - bit of a gobshite, but hope he does well as it means we can make a tidy profit.

Does the above sound bigoted to you? If it does, you need to undertake some comprehension courses.
Well yes it seems bigoted when you group all their negative characteristics under a collective umbrella.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
My take away from this is there seems to be a weirdly large group of fans who support our English club that seem to actively hate the English, somebody above even seems to have a problem with Mancunians. You guys are fecking weird.
Nonsense. Some of our best players have been the English ones.

We're lightyears away from a team that had Rio, Rooney, Scholes, Carrick, and even Hargreaves. Leaders on the pitch, the right attitude and a cut above their peers.

Even going back a few years before that our English group with the Nevilles, Beckham, Butt - again, quality on the pitch, the right mentality, and players that would put in a performance worthy of the shirt week in week out.

These are the players that Gerrard alluded to when he spoke about how they were a cut above.

Baxquux

Big fan of Sancho and this is a completely fair post. The easiest thing to fix is his fitness. Last thing we need is a winger version of Shaw. "World class" for a few games a season.
The fitness, yes, although this is an issue right across the team affecting our ability to counteract opposition midfielders and wide-sided defenders bursting through our lines, even when we step up the effort ( as with Southampton): however, I don't Sancho should be necessarily blamed for looking out of sorts stylistically in a team build up play is either erratic or barely-existent, dependent upon the players. He doesn't have the physical attributes to make up for disjointed team play but to return to that kind of profile as a preference risks going back to Ole ball or eve Jose's 'sit tight then sort it out yourselves' attitude to progressive attacking play, where everything was just 'moments'.

Sancho's profile as an interlinking player, with shades of fleeter-footed, slightly tougher Mata at times is more likely to get us results if we play to it as a team by encouraging proper overloads and one touch combination combinations around the opposition's box, , give and go transitions and so on, as opposed to thinking in terms of building around, say, Rashford's strengths (and weaknesses) , which would lead us back to counterattacking at best. That's not even about getting the best out of Sancho as 'star' but more about forcing ourselves to play a necessarily more progressive game with higher probability of creating chances without relying upon someone to come up with some feat of dribbling or first-season Bruno-worldie.

Hulme91

It's interesting seeing the divide in the fanbase when it comes to our players... Certain types target the foreign contingent and other types solely target the English born players
Fact is, you can count on one hand the amount of successful signings we've made in the last 10 years and I don't think you'd be using all of your fingers
Personal prejudice shouldn't cloud the fact that 90% of ALL our signings in this period has ended in disaster

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Does their poor performance make them ‘bad eggs’? If so, you could say the whole squad were ‘bad eggs’ last season.
We don't really know what their personalities are like behind closed doors. All we can go by are their performances.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Well yes it seems bigoted when you group all their negative characteristics under a collective umbrella.
Ok ignore the title of the thread - what do you disagree with about my take on Rashford, Shaw and Maguire?

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Some of the players have struggled and part of that has to be down to United’s management team but there’s clearly questions around mentality and quality e.g. Maguire & Shaw.

However, it has been a problem at United regardless of nationality or the player we’ve brought in, we seem to drag everyone down which for me really started to grow in animosity around the Mourinho era.

Having grown up with Scholes etc we were so spoilt.

binary bot
I think this is a big case of the halo effect. They're just not as good.

Lyng

I dont think thats fair though. Much like I dont like when people put McT in with the english lads. His attitude is much better than theirs.

Classical Mechanic

Ok ignore the title of the thread - what do you disagree with about my take on Rashford, Shaw and Maguire?
It doesn't really matter what I think of those opinions. Imagine if someone started a thread last season saying 'the black contingent at our club' decrying the performances of Fred, Pogba, Varane, Rashford etc' I'm sure that you'd be rightly outraged. You're implying that there's something implicit in that immutable characteristic that is making them a bad player.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
My take away from this and some other similar threads is there seems to be a weirdly large group of fans who support our English club that seem to actively hate the English, somebody above even seems to have a problem with Mancunians. You guys are fecking weird. Or there must be some place in the world where which club you support is mandated rather than you being able to choose one for yourself.
Just wait till the English national team play. It’ll really open your eyes….this forum has quite a strong (or at least vocal) anti-English vibe.

It’s alright though, feck the haters

JeffFromHK

you are just a weird triggered local fan who doesn't try to reason but to resort to Ad hominem.

the OP is just speaking facts. The current English players in Man Utd squad (with Sancho still having a benefit of doubt) are either lazy and toxic or are passive and weak. You must be blind and biased if you do not agree that Rashford, Henderson, Lingard, Greenwood, Shaw have attitude problems and Maguire Jones and awb are mentally weak. Most of the international fans criticising current English players here were fans of Beckham, Scholes, Carrick etc back in the days.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
A group of losers that think they're winners. The sooner we get rid of this 'core' the better.
Yeah, getting rid of all the English players might not work out so great given all PL clubs are required to register no less than 8 homegrown players in a squad of 25.

Think it through lads :cool:

santeria13

Sublemon
Difficult to say for some of them whether it’s attitude or shortcoming in talent or just a bad phase.

Maguire for example - I don’t think he has a terrible attitude but think he lacks a little bit of intelligence and is only suited to play in certain types of defensive set ups.

Shaw just seems to go through these periods of bad fitness which causes his form to drop off.

AwB - I do think there may be some attitude issues there.

Sancho - talented player but needs to improve fitness.

Greenwood - idiot and a waste of talent

Henderson - slightly arrogant but don’t think we can definitely say he has a bad attitude.

Lingard - lacks professionalism. Good to get rid

Rashford - going through a bad phase. The penalty miss seems to have started a crisis of confidence which has been exacerbated by injuries. Hopefully he will recover.
How long till a bad 'phase' becomes just being pure shite? It's been over a year and a half now, way before he missed that penalty.

Also, in regards to confidence, he got a goal last game and then reverted straight back to his average level of performance this week. Expected a lot more.

rooney2009

The only my person that has wasted his talent is Greenwood
The other players are ok but jut not good enough for this level but they have all worked hard to get to this level
It’s not easy making it as a pro footballer so you have to work hard and give up a lot of other stuff
Rashford has lost confidence and hopefully get it back soon
We need the home grown players to fulfil our home grown quota anyway

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
United's biggest and most pressing issue is our inability to handle a high staff turnover (ins and outs). That means that we end up keeping or even giving contract extensions to players that should be at the door. That creates a level of complacency and it gives the message that a player can almost get away with everything at this club. I mean look at the players that should have been out but are still on our payroll from Jones to Martial right to Henderson, Shaw, McT and VDB. Yet they are all there sucking cash out of the club.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I wouldn't worry about the homegrown quota so much as we have quite an exciting pipeline of talent coming through.

For starters, there's McTominay, Elanga in the first team and getting minutes.

Then there's the likes of Garner, Hannibal, Garnacho who will be pushing for minutes this season (unless Hannibal goes on loan).

Then there's the likes of Laird, Mengi, Fernandez who I think will be getting minutes next season.

And that's not including those players that count as homegrown, although not 'homegrown' with the club such as Sancho.

phelans shorts

To be fair, if you’re talking about trequarista referring to “typical gobby mancs” I’d say this, I am a manc and would not disagree with anybody saying we generally are a bit gobby.

Well I would, because I could get into an argument in an empty room, but still.

santeria13

Sublemon
Exactly which makes threads such as this very bizarre.
Tbh, you can tell a lot about someone's personality with what they show on the pitch over a sustained period of time. It's actually very much a reflection of their personality, in my opinion.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I wouldn't worry about the homegrown quota so much as we have quite an exciting pipeline of talent coming through.
No, you can include a maximum of two academy products in a squad of 25, mate. The other 6 need to be fully-fledged members of the squad.

phelans shorts

Tbh, you can tell a lot about someone's personality with what they show on the pitch over a sustained period of time. It's actually very much a reflection of their personality, in my opinion.
It just isn’t true though. There’s loads of players in history who were known for being incredibly meek and quiet off the pitch, and the exact opposite on it.

Someone

Something
Usually you'd benefit a lot from having a core of English players at the club, and it's the same in any country really. Because they usually connect better with the club, they don't ask to leave, they understand the culture better, and they provide a needed stability. But when this core of players are rubbish then it does the opposite. Ole in a way understood the importance of having that and went out of his way to sign British players that he can build the club around, but unfortunately made the wrong choices. The current group is very poor overall, the talent is there with some of them, but the mentality is not. If we're lucky most of them won't be here in a couple of years. That's why English players are extremely expensive.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The FA is considering upping the homegrown rule from 8 to 12 players next season, too.

The Homegrown Player Rule is an initiative of the English Premier League to allow for more domestic players to be developed from an earlier age in the hope of nurturing more homegrown talent. It forms part of the League's Elite Player Performance Plan. The Premier League clubs can have a maximum of 17 non-"homegrown" players in each club squad, and the squad size is a maximum of 25. This means that in a full squad of 25 players, there must be at least eight homegrown players.[1][2] Greg Dyke, the former chairman of the Football Association (FA), wanted to implement much stronger regulation of foreign players. His intention is to help England to win the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, as he stated in an op-ed piece.[3]

• Homegrown players in a top-flight 25-man squad be increased from eight to 12[1] two of whom must be brought up in the team's youth system
  • Tightening the definition of what it is to be a homegrown player as a consequence fewer foreign-born players would qualify

Lyng

It just isn’t true though. There’s loads of players in history who were known for being incredibly meek and quiet off the pitch, and the exact opposite on it.
Ben Thatcher springs to mind. Is / was apparently a quitet and very kind guy of the pitch but an absolute disgusting piece of shite on it.

dubplate warrior

Bunch of bad eggs aren’t? Mixture of apathetic performances, poor attitude, laziness or just downright difficult personality.

I get the feeling they have this entitled attitude, and it could be down to us rewarding mediocrity with massive bloated contracts. This, plus relative success internationally, seems like it has gone to their heads.

I remember Steven Gerrard saying that everytime he went to England training camp, the English players from Man Utd were a cut above in terms of training, attitude and professionalism. They would stick together off the pitch too as they felt it gave them that competitive edge when international breaks resumed. Lampard and Rio have talked about this extensively when it was us and Chelsea competing year in year out. Seems like we’re so far removed from that ideal with this current bunch.

Rashford - his attitude is awful. Doesn’t look like he tries or cares anymore, and the quality is just not there. The sooner we get him to a new club and replace his minutes with Gakpo/Memphis, we’ll be better for it.

Shaw - 8 seasons at the club and we’ve had maybe, if we’re being generous, 1.5 seasons worth of genuine quality. Average, lazy in his play and doesn’t push himself to be better. I said in another thread, the way he comes across it seems like he sees football as just a job, and doesn’t really want to push himself to be better.

Maguire - he just isn’t good enough. I thought he was good in his first season, ok overall in his second, and a disaster in his third. But for a club captain, and someone that should lead from the front he should be doing a lot better. I genuinely think his overall attitude is good, it’s just his application isn’t great. Also he doesn’t interview at all well, and would be better putting his head down and improving rather than speaking.

Henderson - just a gobshite. Hope he does well at Forest though and they come in with a nice offer of £25m. I wanted him to be our number 1 instead of DdG but it seems he’s burning those bridges with the club.

AWB - I think he’s good enough to play Carabao Cup and Europa group stages, but the overall quality is just not there. He doesn’t seem like a difficult personality unlike the above 4 (seems to have a quiet persona) but yea, he’s pretty poor and the fact that we paid £45m is mental.

Sancho - no complaints. He’s a baller, and I think as this team improves in terms of cohesiveness and overall play, so will he. Also feel that as he spent most of the last 4-5 years in Germany, he‘s a bit removed from it all.

Greenwood - so promising. Wasted his talent and career.

Lingard - thank feck he’s gone.

Interested to hear what others think.
Maybe I was watching different games but both of them were working hard. I remember one instance where Malacia left a ball where he was offside and Rashford sprinted as hard as he could to keep it in play. It's that mentality and aggression that will land United 10 extra points this season.

I think our English contingent in general is shit. A lot of English players in general have inflated contracts which they didn't have to work half as hard for, compared to their superior foreign counterparts.

Irwin99

I'm not sure about their attitudes- though I've always had my doubts about Shaw and Rashford sometimes looks like someone who just doesn't enjoy football anymore- but it's nice there are no guaranteed starters anymore under EtH, regardless of nationality.

Tommy79

Nonsense. Some of our best players have been the English ones.

We're lightyears away from a team that had Rio, Rooney, Scholes, Carrick, and even Hargreaves. Leaders on the pitch, the right attitude and a cut above their peers.

Even going back a few years before that our English group with the Nevilles, Beckham, Butt - again, quality on the pitch, the right mentality, and players that would put in a performance worthy of the shirt week in week out.
Or even our first title winning teams in donkeys, was a core of English in, Pally, Bruce, Parker, Sharpe, Robson, that thing that played for the dippers.

ps: @Classical Mechanic nothing to do with his race in case you get the wrong idea, he went to the dippers and lest we forget, his vile over the top celebrations when he scored against us in 99 with 3 games too go.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Less English players the better. We haven’t had a good technical English player since Scholes. They’ve all been plodders