The English contingent at our club

OL29

Nonsense like this is why some fans are coming down harder on British players these days, the protection they get in the media in comparison to their foreign counterparts is nuts. It seems like having a British passport entitles you to years of poor performances and a questionable attitude, where as certain players are one poor game away from being classified as a liability. I suspect the protection from the media is why some of these players lack accountability for their poor form.

santeria13

Sublemon

Nonsense like this is why some fans are coming down harder on British players these days, the protection they get in the media in comparison to their foreign counterparts is nuts. It seems like having a British passport entitles you to years of poor performances and a questionable attitude, where as certain players are one poor game away from being classified as a liability. I suspect the protection from the media is why some of these players lack accountability for their poor form.
This.

It was just last season where, after quite a few starts and terrible performances, even to the point where he got outran by a 37 year old striker, Rangnick decided to bench Rashford. This is also following a whole YEAR of poor performances.

Every pundit and their mothers came out and slaughtered him for having Rashford on the bench that game vs City. Kinda nuts. Now, I think Rangnick got a bunch of stuff wrong that game with his selection, but that wasn't one of them.

To make things even worse, the leaks about Rashford being 'unhappy' and players not liking the coaching sessions etc. came out right after. The amount of articles that defend Rashford after months and months of shite performances would either point to him being one of the main leakers (fairly obvious by now) or the media being incredibly biased.

A lot of the hate towards our English contingent is because it also looks like they're the ones leaking to the media to detract the blame from themselves. Yeah, we have no concrete evidence, but it's quite clear if you connect the dots and look at the amount of articles that come out painting them as angels who can do no wrong, all while shifting a lot of the blame on Ronaldo and 'cliques'. We're still getting the same kind of leaks this season with a 'fresh start' , new manager and the two biggest leakers supposedly gone. Funnily enough, half of them mention where Rashford wants to play or what Rashford 'thinks'. C'mon people, it's obvious :lol:

Either they're the big leakers, or the media are completely biased towards them, or both. It's an issue that needs to be talked about in both cases.

Last edited:

Trequarista10

This.

It was just last season where, after quite a few starts and terrible performances, even to the point where he got outran by a 37 year old striker, Rangnick decided to bench Rashford. This is also following a whole YEAR of poor performances.

Every pundit and their mothers came out and slaughtered him for having Rashford on the bench that game. Kinda nuts. Now, I think Rangnick got a bunch of stuff wrong that game with his selection, but that wasn't one of them.
My Forest supporting mate who is pretty clued up on football came out with "Rashford has only been out of form because he's played out of position, United should play him as a striker" a few weeks ago and it reminded me how much people are influenced by the media. Weirdly it does a full 360 if the player fecks up in an England shirt, then suddenly they're the target of scorn and derision regardless of their club form, but if they're underperforming at club level it's rarely noticed until a few years after the fact, Dele Alli being another example.

That said there are plenty of talented English players with good attitudes, and an increasing number of technically proficient youngsters doing well in the PL or abroad, they just don't play for United. It's quite telling that a lot of United's players have been dropped by England. AWB never even selected, McTominay wisely elected Scotland as he wouldn't play for England, Rashford has missed out on recent squads, Henderson is below Pope, Ramsdale and Pickford in the pecking order, Shaw has played a fair bit but Chilwell pre-injury was on course to overtake him and Southgate has played Trippier at LB over him, Maguire was a starter due to a lack of options but will drop behind Guehi, Tomori and Stones, and arguably a few others, Lingard couldn't even get a recall after his West Ham stint. Sancho is well down the pecking order at the moment too but has the potential to turn it around.

Frank White

The Sancho love in this thread, and indeed the forum as a whole, is really hilarious. He's not even close to hitting the highs Maguire and Shaw have for either us or the national team, and as for his attitude... constantly out of shape. Was fat to start last season, slightly better this season but still gets subbed off 65 mins into every game cos he visibly fades and can't run for a full game. Bash Maguire and Shaw all you want but he's much worse than both
Agreed, seems all you need is a decent touch every now and then and you're exempt from criticism from most. This forums really picky when it comes to the players we'll defend and players who are fair game, well certain posters are anyway.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The Sancho love in this thread, and indeed the forum as a whole, is really hilarious. He's not even close to hitting the highs Maguire and Shaw have for either us or the national team, and as for his attitude... constantly out of shape. Was fat to start last season, slightly better this season but still gets subbed off 65 mins into every game cos he visibly fades and can't run for a full game. Bash Maguire and Shaw all you want but he's much worse than both
Disagree - Sancho joined a shambles last season so was given the benefit of the doubt (as were the other two new signings). That plus his obviously ability and the fact he doesn’t shy away on the pitch means he has some credit in the bank. Personally, I’m really excited to see how he performs under EtH.

Frank White

Disagree - Sancho joined a shambles last season so was given the benefit of the doubt (as were the other two new signings). That plus his obviously ability and the fact he doesn’t shy away on the pitch means he has some credit in the bank. Personally, I’m really excited to see how he performs under EtH.
Huh what do you mean by that? I would say his biggest fault atm is that he does just that. Doesn't help in the defence and largely goes through games completely anonymous for the most part. New season, new manager, new start and all that but lets not rewrite his below average start to his United career.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Huh what do you mean by that? I would say his biggest fault atm is that he does just that. Doesn't help in the defence and largely goes through games completely anonymous for the most part. New season, new manager, new start and all that but lets not rewrite his below average start to his United career.
He always asks for the ball and drives (or tries to) drive forward, always tries to beat his man, and generally wants to get in behind. Basically, tries to make something happen.

Tibs

Sancho - Jury is out

Hendo - will hopefully bring in £30m

Rest are shite tbh

Frank White

He always asks for the ball and drives (or tries to) drive forward, always tries to beat his man, and generally wants to get in behind. Basically, tries to make something happen.
Guess we watch a different Sancho, fair enough. Hopefully the tries becomes does this season.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Agreed, seems all you need is a decent touch every now and then and you're exempt from criticism from most. This forums really picky when it comes to the players we'll defend and players who are fair game, well certain posters are anyway.
It’s not that - it’s because Sancho played in the Bundesliga so there’s a bunch of people who don’t really view him as ‘English’ as others.

Same with Bellingham.

taxjunkie

Our former English players are much more likable. Thinking of Rooney, Beckham, Rio, and Scholesy.

The current ones, maquire , shaw, rashford, and sancho, just lack character and passion.. to be fair this more or less applies to our entire squad bar the new signings.

Crashoutcassius

I kinda understand Shaw and Rashford situation. Shaw just hasn't kicked on after being the best left back in the league at 18. An amazing talent and a waste. God knows what Rashford needs. At his best he was a very useful player, reached a big number of goals under ole. Who knows if he will ever get back there.

The Maguire hate to me is baffling. If ten hag needs to move on from him then fine. But he has had good seasons at the club where he played basically every minute, he is elite in the air, he is excellent with the ball. Children on tik tok show clips over and over of him losing the ball last season under the worst coach united have had in thirty years with mctominay and Fred in centre mid ahead of him and DDG behind, not exactly surrounded by ball players. I can't help but feel people are influenced by this social media scapegoating which is literally children who don't like him cos of how he physically looks and because pace is very important on fifa

Last edited:

Doracle

Shouldn’t we give more benefit of the doubt (or at least the same) to the likes of Shaw and Rashford, who have shown previously that they can be top class premier league players? Why should they have fared any better under the shambles that occurred last season?

Lyng

I kinda understand Shaw and Rashford situation. Shaw just hasn't kicked on after being the best left back in the league at 18. An amazing talent and a waste. God knows what Rashford needs. At his best he was a very useful player, reached a big number of goals under ole. Who knows if he will ever get back there.

The Maguire hate to me is baffling. If ten hag needs to move on from him then fine. But he has had good seasons at the club where he played basically every minute, he is elite in the air, he is excellent with the ball. Children on tik tok show clips over and over of him losing the ball last season under the worst coach united have had in thirty years with mctominay and Fred in centre mid ahead of him and DDG behind, not exactly surrounded by ball players. I can't help but feel people are influenced by this social media scapegoating which is literally children who don't like him cos of how he physically looks and because pace is very important on fifa
He was terrible in the first to matches of this season. Without him everyone else in our backline looks miles better. Stop acting like Souness please.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Could there be any case of political thing happening if England players(shaw and Maguire) are benched for a while? With WC in a few months?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Shouldn’t we give more benefit of the doubt (or at least the same) to the likes of Shaw and Rashford, who have shown previously that they can be top class premier league players? Why should they have fared any better under the shambles that occurred last season?
Rashford has been crap for 2 years now and not looking like he is improving. Shaw has had 1 good season in 8. They have had enough benefit of doubt.

Doracle

Could there be any case of political thing happening if England players(shaw and Maguire) are benched for a while? With WC in a few months?
Shaw unfortunately didn’t look great in the first couple of matches. Understandable he’s been dropped for Malacia, who has done well.

Maguire was a bit more unlucky as he played pretty well in the first two games. However, it’s understandable that ETH might look to move to a more mobile back line and Martinez/Varane have done well so far.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Maguire will be a good player again in a new environment. He’s not up to scratch at a club like ours though. Can see him doing well under Conte/Mourinho/Simeone type managers.

Bebestation

Please someone make the Portuguese version of this thread

Stacks

its true. I have never seen a player get such a pass, not even Mkhitaryan. He has literally done nothing for us despite costing an arm and a leg and taking home phat wages. Apparently he has to play with Xavi & Iniesta and Messi before we can expect him to be an above average premier league attacker. Sancho was in trouble a fair bit a Dortmund was he not? getting fined and shit. The Sancho we see at United is the same we see for England.

This is definitely a conspiracy..........:confused:

Stacks

His movement looks pretty weak to me and I feel he doesn't make runs anywhere near the level of a Salah and Rashford (when on form), basically doesn't get in behind anywhere near enough for me so we must be watching a different dude. All of last season he only missed 3 big chances, put in 28 crosses I dunno when he is getting in behind since there is little production. Waits for the ball to feet mostly.

Nope. New players have potential when things improve where as our current players cannot possibly get better
Rashford has been crap for 2 years now and not looking like he is improving. Shaw has had 1 good season in 8. They have had enough benefit of doubt.
15 months ago Rashford scored his 21st goal of the season to add to 15 assists. I WISH Sancho was this productive when he was "shit" last season but hey Rashy been shit for 2 years

Bebestation

His movement looks pretty weak to me and I feel he doesn't make runs anywhere near the level of a Salah and Rashford (when on form), basically doesn't get in behind anywhere near enough for me so we must be watching a different dude. All of last season he only missed 3 big chances, put in 28 crosses I dunno when he is getting in behind since there is little production. Waits for the ball to feet mostly.

Nope. New players have potential when things improve where as our current players cannot possibly get better

15 months ago Rashford scored his 21st goal of the season to add to 15 assists. I WISH Sancho was this productive when he was "shit" last season but hey Rashy been shit for 2 years
Thank god I’m not the only one who feels like this about Sancho

Stacks

Please someone make the Portuguese version of this thread
Ronaldo - pretty damn selfish and stats obsessed
Bruno - Stats obsessed (acts as though he has a winners mentality)
Dalot - not showing much improvement
Fred - hasn't improved basics of his game so does not work hard in training
Antony - dives all over the place ;)

sokol11

Also with Sancho I'm still waiting to beat his man. Yes he has close control, fancy footwork but is a bit to static, to little intent, doesn't even try to beat his man and go past him. Luxury player? Let's see how Anthony will compare.