The F1 Thread 2013 Season

pauldyson1uk

Here is Sky's full race line up for next season.

2013 FIA FORMULA 1 CALENDAR

The full 2013 FIA Formula One World Championship Race Calendar is as follows:

17 March Australian Grand Prix Exclusively live
24 March Malaysian Grand Prix Exclusively live
14 April Chinese Grand Prix Live
21 April Bahrain Grand Prix Exclusively live
12 May Spanish Grand Prix Live
26 May Monaco Grand Prix Exclusively live
09 June Canadian Grand Prix Live
30 June British Grand Prix Live
7 July German Grand Prix Exclusively live
28 July Hungarian Grand Prix Exclusively live
25 August Belgian Grand Prix Live
08 September Italian Grand Prix Live
22 September Singapore Grand Prix Exclusively live
06 October Korean Grand Prix Exclusively live
13 October Japanese Grand Prix Live
27 October Indian Grand Prix Live
03 November Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Exclusively live
17 November United States Grand Prix Exclusively live
24 November Brazilian Grand Prix Live

hp88

Glad they got rid of Valencia but it looks like we are missing a couple of races this season.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Im going to miss Kamui this year :(

Ronnie O'Sullivan

No, Caterham & Force India are still to be announced.

Caterham will either be Senna, Petrov or Van Der Garde & Force India will be Bianchi or Sutil alongside Di Resta.
Quite surprised Senna lost his Williams seat, thought he did a good job there.

Leg-End

Bottas is a proper talent, they were never going to drop Maldonado because his cheque is bigger than Senna's.

Leg-End

The Mercedes 2014 engine, they showed it off to some select journo's today and the reaction appears to have been generally positive on the sound front which is important, they also have more torque than the current engine so we can expect the cars to be bigger handfuls under acceleration in 2014 which is great.

Shame we won't hear it any time soon, they can't reveal their secrets to everyone.

pauldyson1uk

Marussia have parted company with driver Timo Glock by mutual consent.
He will leave immediately.
Marussia’s team principal, who hinted that economic considerations were a key reason behind the split, this leaves them only one confirmed driver for the next season.
Sounds like another team deep in money troubles.

Rooney1987

Sad times, F1 should be the pinnacle for most drivers and a lot of the best ones will be turned away. Other then Ferrari, Mclaren, Red Bull and Merc most teams will be be full sponsored drivers.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Why do these teams form in the first place if they don't have the necessary funds?

Leg-End

I think Hamilton's decision move to Mercedes is now becoming clearer. Mercedes are doing some serious restructuring and look like they are going all in with their F1 programme.

On the downside Ross Brawn's position looks under threat, I like Ross. On the plus side Nick Fry's is too, I don't like Nick. If rumours are right they are trying to poach Paddy Lowe from McLaren which would be huge, strengthen your own team and weaken McLaren whilst your at it.

Count Orduck

I get Martin Whitmarsh and Nick Fry muddled up. They both look a bit gormless and they both speak with voices much too deep for their appearance.

Wouldn't it be amusing if McLaren hired Brawn to replace Lowe, though?

Leg-End

I get Martin Whitmarsh and Nick Fry muddled up. They both look a bit gormless and they both speak with voices much too deep for their appearance.

Wouldn't it be amusing if McLaren hired Brawn to replace Lowe, though?
Yeah it would but I can't see it, McLaren will promote from within like they usually do.

pauldyson1uk

I think Hamilton's decision move to Mercedes is now becoming clearer. Mercedes are doing some serious restructuring and look like they are going all in with their F1 programme.

On the downside Ross Brawn's position looks under threat, I like Ross. On the plus side Nick Fry's is too, I don't like Nick. If rumours are right they are trying to poach Paddy Lowe from McLaren which would be huge, strengthen your own team and weaken McLaren whilst your at it.
It is beginning to feel like Lewis know about the changes Merc wanted to do and they sounded better that anything that McLaren to offer.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I am going to support the Lotus team this year. I have been a Schumi fan for as long as I care to remember. Since he is retired, I need a new team. I always respect Alonso because he is a brilliant driver and will always root for him over Vettel. But I am also a big fan of the Ice Man and I like the resiliency and the consistency the Lotus team showed last year.

hp88

Looks like they're throwing everything at it in order to make Mercedes GP a succes, I can't see being a major threat this year but 2014 will be make or break for them. I just think they have got too many people in the chain of command, you look at RBR you know Newey is the top dog but the moment Mercedes look like a mess. Will be interesting to see what happens with the Paddy Lowe move, you would expect Mclaren to put him on gardening leave but it seems like Mercedes want him now.

Leg-End

Mercedes can dangle their 2014 engines in front of McLaren's nose though to get him quickly.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Very much doubt it. It's a shame, he was a promising driver and I'd have liked to have seen him in a top car.

RDCR07

Lotus is the first team to reveal their car in three days time followed by McLaren next week and then the rest of the teams in February.

Leg-End

Not expecting anything too radical for any of the new cars really, evolution not revolution for most of them. But its still a fun time of the year.

hp88

Looks similar to the 2012 car, still got the stepped nose but they're going to fit a panel over it.

Leg-End

He said they will only put a panel over it if they can get any sort of justifiable downforce out of it, else its pointless weight added to the car. I expect those teams with a stepped nose who don't have plans for one soon will if someone creates a fancy solution though.

But yeah, last years car with some red on it and new exhaust layout.

hp88

He said they will only put a panel over it if they can get any sort of justifiable downforce out of it, else its pointless weight added to the car. I expect those teams with a stepped nose who don't have plans for one soon will if someone creates a fancy solution though.

But yeah, last years car with some red on it and new exhaust layout.
Yeah no point of added it just for the cosmetic look, still prefer the look of the Mclaren smooth nose.

F-Red

The rear of cars is whats going to be changed more than any other when cars will be revealed this year. I think Lotus will be very competitive this year, they lacked some development consistency last year & i think they'll have learned a lot on what they need to do to push on.

One thing i will say, Lotus do have an awesome commercial team behind them. Every year they seem to find new sponsors which havent been in F1 previously.

RDCR07

So it looks like the cars will have the same noses from last year. Not really a big fan of that. I prefer the look Mclaren went with.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
So it looks like the cars will have the same noses from last year. Not really a big fan of that. I prefer the look Mclaren went with.
Mclaren however did eventually change to the same style nose early on last year. It was not as noticeable though because they design the car around a heavily aerodynamic approach so they can get away with it more than others.

Leg-End

Like I said once somebody comes up with a solution that trades off the extra weight for downforce they will all use the modesty panel on the nose.

F-Red

Bearing in mind that there is no major reg changes this year, it would be foolish for any team with a stepped nose to change it for aesthetic purposes. It would leave themselves effectively a year behind every other team in a development race.

hp88

Isn't McLaren unveiling their car tomorrow? I can't wait to see how it looks.
Yeah it's tomorrow, either SSN or Sky F1 will be showing it live from 10:30am.

List of unveiling dates for the other teams.

Force India VJM-06 February 1 Silverstone
Sauber C32 February 2 Hinwil, Switzerland
Ferrari F2013 February 1 Maranello, Italy
Red Bull RB9 February 3 Milton Keynes
Mercedes W04 February 4 Jerez
Williams FW35 February 19 Barcelona
Toro Rosso STR8 February 4 Jerez
Caterham CT03 February 5 Jerez