The F1 Thread 2014 Season

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What has Andy Murray got to do with this?
It wasn't hard to grasp...?

The media portrays Andy Murray as being a sour git. He isn't.
Di Resta is portrayed by BBC F1 media as being great and should be getting a look in at a top team. He shouldn't, he's a sour git.

Amir

Di Resta is portrayed by BBC F1 media as being great and should be getting a look in at a top team. He shouldn't, he's a sour git.
Probably not, though. But when you're looking at the drivers who get a seat in the middle-level teams, there's no reason why they are there over him other than cold hard cash.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Probably not, though. But when you're looking at the drivers who get a seat in the middle-level teams, there's no reason why they are there over him other than cold hard cash.
Grosjean, Maldonado, Hulkenburg, Massa have all done more than him in terms of drivers who are older/around the same age. Most of the other drivers in the field have age on their side compared to him (Maybe deserves a drive as much as Sutil), and he hasn't taken his chances in the FI.

Leg-End

On the one hand, its a test, they do these things to fix them in the races. On the other hand Pirelli have been piss poor for a good while now, even if they are providing what the FIA ask I'm pretty sure they don't ask for exploding tyres.

Whats more worrying is the fact 2014 cars will potentially be quicker on the straights, an engine with more torque thus putting strain on the tyres under accelleration and all this on top of new spec cars so tyre issue fixes won't come so quickly.

Button said this today

"Winter testing is going to be hilarious in Jerez," said Button, who has tried the 2014 McLaren in the team's simulator.

"It will be cold, the tyres aren't going to work, the cars probably won't work either and when you do get a lap it is probably going to feel weird because you are running higher gears - you get into eighth gear before you get to seventh gear now.

"It is a very different way of driving and you have to forget a lot you have learned over the years in terms of the driveability of a racing car, the engine, the power output of a racing car and the way you put the power down.

"It is so, so different."
I reckon we will learn nothing from the winter tests at all this year, way too many variables in play.

pauldyson1uk

On the one hand, its a test, they do these things to fix them in the races. On the other hand Pirelli have been piss poor for a good while now, even if they are providing what the FIA ask I'm pretty sure they don't ask for exploding tyres.

Whats more worrying is the fact 2014 cars will potentially be quicker on the straights, an engine with more torque thus putting strain on the tyres under accelleration and all this on top of new spec cars so tyre issue fixes won't come so quickly.

Button said this today

I reckon we will learn nothing from the winter tests at all this year, way too many variables in play.
winter testing in Jerez is a waste of time and money for all the teams, races are almost never in cold conditions, if they want to test in winter go to somewhere it is hot and the cars and rubber will work and they can test in race conditions.

gormless

30 March: Malaysia
11 May: Spain
8 June: Canada
6 July: Britain
24 August: Belgium
7 September: Italy
5 October: Japan
12 October: Russia
23 November: Abu Dhabi

BBC have picked these races as their live shows. Glad to see them drop Monaco, the actual racing is generally piss poor there unless it rains

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm shocked they've dropped it, crap racing or not it's almost certainly still the 'race' with the highest viewing figures.

Leg-End

I'm annoyed by that, Monaco is nearly always dull but its the biggest event on the calendar. It's F1's Indy 500, Daytona, Le Mans etc.

F-Red

There are strong rumours flying around of Kobayashi possibly getting one of the Caterham seats...

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Monaco doesn't produce great races but it still surprising that Beeb dropped it considering it is one of the few races that even 'casual' fans would watch.

pauldyson1uk

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has hinted that the double points rule might be dropped before the start of next season, although he believes adding more races with increased points is actually what should be done.

Earlier this month, the FIA revealed that double points will be awarded at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - the 2014 season finale - in an effort to keep the battle for both the Constructors' and Drivers' Championship alive until the end of the season.
The move has been widely criticised, but Ecclestone believes the best way forward is to increase the amount of races with double points awarded to three.
"Personally my preference would be for the final three races to be worth double points," Ecclestone told The Daily Telegraph.
"But it may well be that the rule is cancelled altogether at the next [Strategy Group] meeting in January. I think it should be the final three races or nothing.
"The final three races would mean the championship is kept interesting for everyone - fans, press and television - right until the end."
One of the biggest critics of the double points rule is reigning champion Sebastian Vettel, who labeled the idea as "absurd".
"This is absurd and punishes those who have worked hard during a whole season," the German said.
"I respect the old traditions in F1 and do not understand this new rule."

Leg-End

I hope Mercedes car is better next year than Hamilton's singing.

gormless

e seven-time world champion fell and hit his head on a rock, according to the resort director, Christophe Gernigon-Lecomte. However, Schumacher was wearing a helmet and his injuries are not thought to be serious.
"He has been taken to a hospital in Moutiers," Gernigon-Lecomte is quoted as telling Reuters.
"He fell around 11:00 am and hit a rock with his head. It seems that he has suffered a head trauma, but I would not say how serious it is. He was conscious but very agitated while being taken to hospital."

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/140457.html#R4Y61DYLpMiqhL6s.99

vanthaman

Winner
Rumours that it's not looking good for Schumi, hope it's just rumours though, statement from him management is due and keeps getting pushed back

Amir

Sigh. I hate the modern world. in the past you'd just get news when they are released. Now you follow social media and get tons of updates without knowing which is true.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Looks like there'll be a written statement rather than a press conference:

Leg-End

Damn I read this earlier when it was reported not to be too serious, hope he is alright.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
This is pretty much my first day on Twitter. Is it normal to have so many hysterical people claim he is in a really bad condition if that's not true or is there usually fire where there's smoke on Twitter?

Amir

This is pretty much my first day on Twitter. Is it normal to have so many hysterical people claim he is in a really bad condition if that's not true or is there usually fire where there's smoke on Twitter?
Sure, look at the transfer forum...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's Hamilton's birthday today; he's 29.

I must admit I was a little surprised when I saw his age, I still think of him as a youngster for some reason.

What do his fans think of his career so far? Jacques mk2? :p

Seriously though, I think he needs a very good year in 2014 as for my money, as good as he is, I do think that to a large degree he has failed to deliver on his early promise.

pauldyson1uk

It's Hamilton's birthday today; he's 29.

I must admit I was a little surprised when I saw his age, I still think of him as a youngster for some reason.

What do his fans think of his career so far? Jacques mk2? :p

Seriously though, I think he needs a very good year in 2014 as for my money, as good as he is, I do think that to a large degree he has failed to deliver on his early promise.
I am big Lewis fan, infect he got me watching F1 again, but I have to agree with what you say.
He won is only WC by the skin of his teeth, his last season at McLaren he was plagued by mistakes that cost him the WC IMHO and then he moved to Mercedes, which took me and many others by surprise, next season has be a cracker for him.