The Feud - Ferguson vs Wenger

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

45 min documentary - found this a terrific watch - in case it's not yet been posted.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Was that 99 Fa Cup semi the best game in the history of English Football? One of them.

SER19

Wow. A lot of contempt for arsenal coming back now, it should obviously be remembered as a great rivalry but Jesus in the cold light of it now they really were an utterly classless bunch and it’s no wonder we battered them for the most part. Even now the arsenal guys largely come across as absolute idiots in this. Bitter, deluded guys who didn’t have the discipline or fortitude to match United

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
This rivalry got ingrained into me and since then I have absolutely hated arsenal... People wonder why I hate them so much despite them becoming a banter club now... I say to them "y'all musta forgot!" Before bringing this rivalry up all over again.

Oh and whenever I see Keown on the Tele, the closest thing to me at the time gets punched out of pure rage.

Tarrou

Keown still refusing to say he regretted acting-up after the RVN pen miss

Which sums up the man really, the game was over they got absolutely nothing out of it other than looking like prize-cnuts

Knob-head

TheReligion

Abusive
Keown still refusing to say he regretted acting-up after the RVN pen miss

Which sums up the man really, the game was over they got absolutely nothing out of it other than looking like prize-cnuts

Knob-head
I would have sparked Keown right out.

Loon

:lol:
They never retained a title. Even the “invincibles”

Boy, was I glad Fergie was on our side.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Ahh this make me nostalgic of the great man how I miss him

Shame we couldn't transfer our domination to Europe the way we should have done due to naivete

Also that aftv clip at the end:lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No PL rivalry has managed to meet the heights of this one, or come close.

RUCK4444

Peak PL football. That said they didn’t have the resistance to maintain the rivalry for long enough, I remember this era well but since then they’ve been so far off it that it’s diluted the rivalry for me.

Those games in that period were something else though, so intense and physical but both sides had so much quality that the games gave you everything.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
No PL rivalry has managed to meet the heights of this one, or come close.
Media tried to do something similar with pep and klopp but they both have the personality of dead fish and I guess not as entertaining and both come out more as whining kids rather the combative adversaries (great mangers though)

Also player are generally a lot more soft these days and traind in the ways of pr so I guess that has something to do with it

RUCK4444

They never retained a title. Even the “invincibles”

Boy, was I glad Fergie was on our side.
The man saw off every major threat this league threw at us. There’s only one invincible and it’s Sir Alex.

He took their challenge, raised it and consigned them to nothing more than a journeyman top four club single-handedly. The boss.

Real Name

Love when we stop their invincible run and how we stopped it. Loved the away win in that season too.
That Arsenal team was a good team but full of despicable bastards too. Wenger was a crybaby back then as much as he was after that.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I always found it funny that they still cry about that pen we got when we had an absolute stone wall pen denied when Ronaldo was taken out by Ashley Cole. Media seem to have forgotten that one.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
They were a real football team, put together by a man that was ahead of the times in Wenger.

I miss the pre-oil days. There was just more heart in it and rivalries like this one meant so much more.

I absolutely hated Arsenal, but a City title win means absolutely nothing to me.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
What was the point? Nothing we haven't seen before.

I am sure there were similar YouTube videos made with the same exact story.

Interval

Level
The only time I’ve felt okay about one of our players going down easy was the Rooney one. Lols. Bam bam Campbell was furious.

wenger is class though.If it weren’t forfergie he’d go down as one of the greatest.

Ixion

I'd say the challenge posed by Wenger and at the same time Juventus are what propelled Fergie to the level he reached.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What was the point? Nothing we haven't seen before.

I am sure there were similar YouTube videos made with the same exact story.
Genuinely what were you expecting?
The guy is a bit of a weird one, I'm not sure why he's trying to act like he's an actual media... well, no, I do, he's obviously doing this for views. Still, it's a great piece of content for a fan-made stuff but from an actual documentary you'd expect some exclusive footage and this is simply a well-made compilation.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I lived in a hostel throughout my secondary/high school. Fights always broke out when Arsenal and Man Utd played and yours truly was always in the melee.

RUCK4444

They were a real football team, put together by a man that was ahead of the times in Wenger.

I miss the pre-oil days. There was just more heart in it and rivalries like this one meant so much more.

I absolutely hated Arsenal, but a City title win means absolutely nothing to me.
So true. It was authentic and the peak of the PL in that respect, no doubt.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I was a bit young to appreciate this rivalry but looking back I better appreciate / learned:

- Wenger was pretty classless
- Arsenal had a softer mentality even in their pomp
- Keown is a cnut.
- Keane > Viera.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The BBC released made and showed this documentary over 3 years ago. It was a good doco but bot it must eat away at Wenger that he was never able to win back to back Premier League titles.

diarm

I was a bit young to appreciate this rivalry but looking back I better appreciate / learned:

- Wenger was pretty classless
- Arsenal had a softer mentality even in their pomp
- Keown is a cnut.
- Keane > Viera.
Your bottom 3 points are spot on. Top point is a little harsh on Wenger.

I don't think it was a lack of class - Fergie just destroyed him mentally. It was a complete mental obliteration which caused a great football man to lose confidence and belief in himself as a manager.

Adisa

The man saw off every major threat this league threw at us. There’s only one invincible and it’s Sir Alex.

He took their challenge, raised it and consigned them to nothing more than a journeyman top four club single-handedly. The boss.
To be fair, the oil clubs did more damage to Arsenal that Fergie ever did.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The only time I’ve felt okay about one of our players going down easy was the Rooney one. Lols. Bam bam Campbell was furious.

wenger is class though.If it weren’t forfergie he’d go down as one of the greatest.
Always thought the big weakness with Wenger is he could never accept his team did anything wrong or should change.

It was always the other team's fault for playing in the wrong way and not letting arsenal win, or the ref's fault for sending an arsenal player off for elbowing someone, or sometimes it was a conspiracy.

It projected itself onto the way his team played. Brilliant as long as everything was going to plan, but as soon as it wasn't they'd become more focused on whining and cheating than playing football or focusing on what they weren't doing well enough, and when the complaining and cheating didn't work they would just combust.

Think that's part of what did for them as soon as Chelsea came on the scene as well. They could sneak in and win a title if United had an off year or if they got far enough ahead, but as soon as there was more than one team to compete with there was never going to be a season you could get through successfully by refusing to acknowledge your weaknesses.

Ferguson for as much of a bad loser as he was would recognise when other teams caused his team problems and adapt or react to it, or even learn from it.

The 02-03 season was the prime example for me. Arsenal were the better football team and it took united half the season to even get going, but United ended up winning it because Wenger couldn't accept his team shouldn't just be awarded the league by default.

RUCK4444

To be fair, the oil clubs did more damage to Arsenal that Fergie ever did.
He had dealt with them long before then though, they had their couple of successful seasons and Fergie conquered them as far as letting them win the league again. They never rebuilt a team capable of competing with SAF after that, even if it were still a two-horse race.

The arrival of the oil clubs just made it even more difficult.

Adisa

He had dealt with them long before then though, they had their couple of successful seasons and Fergie conquered them as far as letting them win the league again. They never rebuilt a team capable of competing with SAF after that, even if it were still a two-horse race.

The arrival of the oil clubs just made it even more difficult.
They were still title challengers in early 2008 when we were just about to win our second title post Mourinho...a title that wasn't decided until the last two weeks of the campaign. Then, they were two years at the Emirates. Think its wrong to say Fergie had seen them off or Fergie caused their downfall.
By that point they were already losing their best players year after year. Within a space of 18 months, they had lost Viera, Ashley Cole and Henry.
If I was to analyse their downfall, I'd attribute more to the financial pressure of moving to the emirates, losing their best players and failing to compete with Chelsea and eventually City. I really don't think Fergie was a contributory factor. Fergie just stayed in the game while Arsenal couldn't.
Let me put it this way, even if Fergie didn't exist, I think Arsenal would still have fallen off a cliff.

Needham

SAF couldn't have been that thick to think Wenger's "everyone things they have the prettiest wife at home" was meant literally and personally. Must have been trying to scurrilously intensify questions about Wenger's personality. But I always though that backfired and made Fergie look like a reactionary fool.

Adisa

SAF couldn't have been that thick to think Wenger's "everyone things they have the prettiest wife at home" was meant literally and personally. Must have been trying to scurrilously intensify questions about Wenger's personality. But I always though that backfired and made Fergie look like a reactionary fool.
He knew it wasn't meant literally. It was a calculated attempt to drive up the heat. He obviously thought it would be good for his team and he was right.

Needham

He knew it wasn't meant literally. It was a calculated attempt to drive up the heat. He obviously thought it would be good for his team and he was right.
Agreed. But to let on that he took it literally implied that he might be incapable of grasping the nuance of a basic idiom. There's nothing more shameful in the world of football than that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I laughed at the documentary when they re-tell the pizza incident.

"Who was that?"
"It was that Spanish boy Fabregas" :lol: