The Final: Argentina vs France

Predict the winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FlapR

Can't be doing with either the French or Argies. Happy for Messi and that's about it, and watching Macron the hobbit on the stage with a face like a slapped arse.

colombianmancunian

Positives from this Argentina win:

1. Argentina reivindicates South America’s pedigree in football. The cup is back to our sub continent after 20 and a half years.
2. The greatest player of our generation, and second greatest of all time after Pele, finally won the World Cup. And being the best player of his team and of the tourney, not a free rider.
3. Our boy Licha, getting the biggest piece of silverware out there.
4. Argentina demonstrated that grit and chemistry can win you cups. They are a team in all sense of the word.

Negatives from this:

1. cnuts as Dibu, Paredes and the snake being world champions. Dibu is a top keeper on his NT shirt, but is a classless cnut.

Anyway, FELICITACIONES ARGENTINA Y HERMANOS ARGENTINOS BIEN JUGADO Y BIEN GANADO @Pocho @IFC 1905

colombianmancunian

Yup the intelligent think to do would have been to back your keeper (in the event that the attacker gets one on target).

Otamendi is an accident waiting to happen for the national side (irregardless if the fact he's bizarrely rock solid 99% of the time) and it's amazing that he's managed to give away a dumb pen in the world cup final and will still come home as a hero :lol:.
That’s my biggest criticism of Scaloni. Trusting that has been over Licha, nonsense!

colombianmancunian

Dembele essentially ended his national team career today. Horrible performance, more based on mentality than having low energy. He was the player in the attack that was given room to actually make a difference. Where Di Maria tore Kounde apart, he was just so passive. His concentration was so poor and I can see why a lot of people complained about him. His skill set indicates that he should be as dangerous as Mbappe or Griezmann, yet he just seemed so passive and defeated even before Argentina's penalty.
That’s why I have never rated him, inconsistent, poor mentality, lacks end product, goes missing on big games. He is the most overrated player ever. I don’t understand why some folks over here dream about this pecho frío.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Everyone is entitled to dislike people for the fact they were born on a different rock than them but it's still strange behaviour in my opinion at least.
Well they were cheering Morocco in Gaza because they believed in the same made up man in the sky as them. You can't decide some prejudices are harmless fun and others aren't. In the immortal words of Gorr the God Butcher in Thor... "You liked it a second ago."

The World Cup minus the primitive tribal hatreds of the various monkeys who overpopulate this rock is just millionaires kicking a piece of leather round a field for no reason.

MostHandsomePlayer

I told you all that Di Maria was a world class player. Incredible morons supporting Van Garbage and his destruction of United.

The Purley King

Was the best WC final I can remember (back to ‘86).
Had pretty much everything.
Finals are usually pretty boring affairs but this was genuinely gripping at least from 75 mins onwards.
50/50 game.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Why be a twat?

I'm french and I don't really mind, it's just banter. We did the same thing with our chants in 2018 (ciao Messi, n'golo Kante pocketing Messi...)

RopersReturn

What hasn’t been mentioned is Deschamps’ amazing management of the game. When he subbed out Griezmann, I thought France was waving a white flag. Instead, his substitution helped even the score up. France had its chances in extra time and Lloris was fantastic.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
That cloak is absolutely hilarious, truly destroyed what should have been an iconic moment

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Xenophobia is allowed during World Cups. We support the countries we like and boo the ones we don't.

I'm glad Argentina won though it's extemely odd that the French didn't turn up till 80 minutes in. Still want to know what that was about.
Has to be among the most stupid things written in this thread.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What hasn’t been mentioned is Deschamps’ amazing management of the game. When he subbed out Griezmann, I thought France was waving a white flag. Instead, his substitution helped even the score up. France had its chances in extra time and Lloris was fantastic.
Don't know if that had anything to do with the subs. Argentina was exhausted and France still needed a penalty out of nowhere and a world class finish to get into the game. If this was a FIFA 23 match, I would have been sure it was scripted, the way everything was going France's way.

Then they had roughly 15 minutes in which they overran Argentina just to be on the backfoot once again.

eire-red

Why be a twat?

He's a massive twat, simple as. You only need one look at his match-day toddler haircut to tell you that. Probably an ego thing cause Mbappe slotted 3 pens in one game in basically the same corner. If you can't enjoy winning the WC without having a pop at your opponents, then what is wrong with you? Having said that, Mbappe and PSG squad doing the Haaland celebration comes to mind...

It's par for the course for the entire Argentina squad in fairness. The squad is full of the types of character you love in your team, but hate in the opposition. Remind me alot of Atletico, you have to begrudgingly respect them. Without Messi, they would be a hard watch.

Can't deny them this win though. They basically had knock-out games the whole tournament after the Saudi Arabia loss. Shows some serious character.

Joel Miller

Overall, it was a poor enough game until that Otamendi brain fart, last 40 mins including extra time was great entertainment.
His team mates should be fuming with that. Vintage Otamendi, can’t hold his concentration for 90 minutes and does his absolute best to feck it up for his team

abundance

Supports
Inter
Overall, it was a poor enough game until that Otamendi brain fart, last 40 mins including extra time was great entertainment.
really? What I think is that it was a top notch display from Argentina for the first 70 minutes straight

Oranges038

His team mates should be fuming with that. Vintage Otamendi, can’t hold his concentration for 90 minutes and does his absolute best to feck it up for his team
Cost them the equaliser vs Holland too, he's an absolute clown and always has been.

really? What I think is that it was a top notch display from Argentina for the first 70 minutes straight
Yeah, they played well, but France weren't in the game at all until that penalty, it was more like a team that just couldn't wait for it to be over. If Otamendi wasn't a total idiot, it probably fisnishes 2-0 and we'd most likely be saying France didn't show up, for 79 mins it was the most lifeless showing I've seen from a team in a final in a long long time.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Yeah, they played well, but France weren't in the game at all until that penalty, it was more like a team that just couldn't wait for it to be over. If Otamendi wasn't a total idiot, it probably fisnishes 2-0 and we'd most likely be saying France didn't show up, for 79 mins it was the most lifeless showing I've seen from a team in a final in a long long time.
yeah, but I chalk that to the job that De Paul, Di Maria, Messi, Fernandez, plus all the others, where able to pull off for seventy minutes straight, and that was a joy to watch for a neutral.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Cost them the equaliser vs Holland too, he's an absolute clown and always has been.
He was the one that lost Kolo Muani for that last minute save too. He was the leader in that defence and somehow deserved to start ahead of Martinez, but you always know he has those moments in him…

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Mbappe - 4 effing goals in the final and no trophy

What the feck

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Likeable French team. Insane intensity from Argentina in the first half. Some right prats attracted to this thread. If you don’t like France or Argentina and can’t respect two great performances crawl back under your rock. No one cares.

Pocho

I'm french and I don't really mind, it's just banter. We did the same thing with our chants in 2018 (ciao Messi, n'golo Kante pocketing Messi...)
exactly, those chants mean nothing in the locker room

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Yea well you shouldntve done they are the actions of a young teenager..

TsuWave

Di Maria being a World Cup winner is not sitting right with my spirit

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Just watching the highlights again now. Astonishing how Argentina managed their ride out their luck not losing it at the end of normal time and the end of extra time. There was Mbappe's deflected shot, Rabiot's shot that nearly fell to Upamacano and Muani's two chances in those crazy final seconds of extra time. That last one from Muani will haunt him for a long time though, a calmer head and a pass to Mbappe instead of the volley and it's won. Any of them taken and Argentina wouldn't have enough time.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Ah that was such a good World Cup. No sporting event comes close really.

thekman

Supports
Juventus
Wow, what a final!

France showed the importance of execution given they came within a whisker of winning a tournament in which they were outplayed in the QF, SF and Final.

A tougher Argentina team allowed Messi the comfort to do his thing and he was amazing all tournament along, his playmaking is so incredible I wouldn't rule him out being able to still contribute at the next one. Impossible to compare eras of football as so much in the rules and competition structure has changed but this puts him unquestionably as the best player of his generation.The shame was Maradona not being there to celebrate with them, would have been iconic.

Second best world cup of my lifetime, 98 set an extremely high benchmark.