Gaming The Final Fantasy Thread

What's your favourite single-player FF?

• Total voters

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I might be making this up but I thought there was an option so skip them, but you just lost the chance to use boost?
That’s entirely possible. Been the better part of two decades since I’ve played it. I just remember being interested in the story but the battle system being time consuming to the point of boredom.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Ok so Cloud will just be over levelled. It will come in handy later I suppose when I take out all the weapons, a feat I never managed back in the day.
Every character gets some growth from battles even when not in the party, not as much, but they'll all level up some, and perhaps be over levelled.

At fecking last!!!!! finally a chance to play this on the PS4 and complete my platinum collection from 7 onwards :drool:
Really looking forward to this.

Art Vandelay

Every character gets some growth from battles even when not in the party, not as much, but they'll all level up some, and perhaps be over levelled.

Really looking forward to this.
I noticed that when Tifa rejoined. It's a lot of getting used to after 20 years of other RPGs. I'm progressing nicely though and about to head to Shinra HQ. I'm thinking my party will probably be Cloud and Tifa plus one. Most likely Aerith until...it happens.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I noticed that when Tifa rejoined. It's a lot of getting used to after 20 years of other RPGs. I'm progressing nicely though and about to head to Shinra HQ. I'm thinking my party will probably be Cloud and Tifa plus one. Most likely Aerith until...it happens.
That's what I done on my most recent playthrough, which isn't finished yet. Cloud, Tifa, and the last spot I've been bouncing around.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Yuffie is op. Use Yuffie. :D

Irwin99

I love making Tifa jealous of Aerith/Aeris in the temple of the ancients. She is so pissed at Cait Sith's fortune tellling, but luckily for her he's not very good at it.

Raw

At fecking last!!!!! finally a chance to play this on the PS4 and complete my platinum collection from 7 onwards :drool:
If it's anything like the PC versions achievements then it won't be that bad. Just incredibly grindy. Reaching level 100, killing 10000 enemies and gaining maximum Gil were an absolute pain. I hope they ease off with those kinds of achievements because they're just ridiculous.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
If it's anything like the PC versions achievements then it won't be that bad. Just incredibly grindy. Reaching level 100, killing 10000 enemies and gaining maximum Gil were an absolute pain. I hope they ease off with those kinds of achievements because they're just ridiculous.
Reaching Level 100 is easy if you fight on Island Closest to Hell.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Really excited for the FF8 remaster, I think it has arguably the best overall soundtrack of any FF. This starting as you begin the final fight with Ultimecia never fails to give me goosebumps.

Irwin99

The music for FF8 is my favourite gaming soundtrack. Ultimecia's The Extreme is criminally underrated.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think I'm the only guy in the world where Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on the GameCube was their favourite ever Final Fantasy game :lol: and I'm really OK with that. Can't wait for the HD release this Winter :drool:

Irwin99

Just finished FF4 again on steam and i'm going through FF3. 3 is a bit short on plot but the job system is fun. 4 is definitely where the series started to get really good I think.

Really wish 1-6 were available on PS4. I would love to have the whole collection on there. Would like to play Tactics if it ever gets ported too.

Irwin99

Pre-ordered FF8. To be honest, I'm just thrilled to have it available again on console but aside from the new character models it does looks a bit of a lazy port. The backgrounds look a bit jarring and I would have thought they could have been upscaled them. But whatever, happy to play it again .

Irwin99

The summon models and main character models do look good, i'll give them that at least. The trophy list looks VERY easy compared to 9 and 10. The trickiest one will probably be Omega weapon. Beating every CC member at Triple Triad should be a fun trophy to get :D

Cloud7

I think I'm the only guy in the world where Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on the GameCube was their favourite ever Final Fantasy game :lol: and I'm really OK with that. Can't wait for the HD release this Winter :drool:
Not my favourite, but it was quite an enjoyable game. The ongoing story of the black knight and how it tied in to everything going on in the world was really good I thought.

What system is it being re-released for?

Havak

Pokemon master
Not my favourite, but it was quite an enjoyable game. The ongoing story of the black knight and how it tied in to everything going on in the world was really good I thought.

What system is it being re-released for?
It was announced for Switch and PS4 initially, but I think it has since been announced for Mobile. Skipping PC and XBox for now for some reason.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Concerning remasters, something that bothers me is that it's altering the combination of art forms that was intended by the initial team and producers. If you alter the artwork/models, you disturb the balance and synergy that has been struck between these things and the soundtrack. The way I see it, all of these things are (or should be) precisely balanced in view of one another; you wouldn't put an orchestral soundtrack over a game with NES quality graphics, for example.

If you alter the artwork, you have to alter/remaster the soundtrack, and it really risks disturbing the atmosphere that was set by the original developers, especially if you get in someone who is unable to replicate the sound quality of the original score. I came across Wandering Flame (FFX remaster version) a while back for example, and it's almost like the arranger altered the frequency of the sound before/after composing. Sounded very shrill.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I can't find the will and energy to play 3-4-5-6, way too dated in graphics and gameplay (I won't even get near of 1-2, ancient is not even a compliment, like the first Zelda or Metal Gear 87).

Waiting forward to the VII remake, which will be a huge gameplaying event, and easily the most anticipated remake of all time. If the remake sucks, I'll stick with the (hideous-looking) original version.

VIII, X and XII still look fresh to me. Those three are "my" personal FF games. I'm well aware VIII looks dated now, but nostalgia is a strong factor, the same way folks still play VI, no matter how old-clunky it looks now, just because it was "their fav" game back in 94-95.

I refuse to play IX because of the name of the main character, Zidane (get the feck outta here).

Can't be bothered with the MMO ones (XI and XIV). For some reason, XIII and XV didn't catch my attention.

So, I'm basically stuck with XII, waiting for the VII Remake.

Should I play XV?

Raw

I refuse to play IX because of the name of the main character, Zidane (get the feck outta here).
That's such a terrible reason not to play it :lol: FF9 is genuinely a great game, it's my favourite FF game. I'd say give that a go (and rename Zidane to something else if you really want).

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
That's such a terrible reason not to play it :lol: FF9 is genuinely a great game, it's my favourite FF game. I'd say give that a go (and rename Zidane to something else if you really want).
I just might (Steam). I've always heard it was the best FF game of the '90s other than VI-VII.

Raw

I just might (Steam). I've always heard it was the best FF game of the '90s other than VI-VII.
One big complaint is the length of time it takes between getting a random encounter and actually being able to select what to do in battle. Though the remastered version gives you the option to skip the battle camera which reduces that time by quite a bit, not to mention being able to speed up gameplay using the speed up option (which was also in the FF7 and FF12 remasters).

Robertd0803

The summon models and main character models do look good, i'll give them that at least. The trophy list looks VERY easy compared to 9 and 10. The trickiest one will probably be Omega weapon. Beating every CC member at Triple Triad should be a fun trophy to get :D
Unless Omega gets insanely powered up then he still should be pretty easy to tackle. I remember thinking "is that it" when i played originally. Way easier than the Weapons in FFVII.

The frustration the card game caused on the other hand :mad:

Irwin99

9 is fantastic but I prefer 7 and 8 which are just more my thing aesthetically. Beaten every single game in the series except 11 which i've never played. Top 6 are:

FF 8- Personal favourite, though I know it divides opinion. Music is just some of the best of any game ever and the story is underrated.
FF 7- My first proper FF game (mystic quest doesn't count :D). Wouldn't argue against it being the best in the series.
FF 9- Really enjoyable. Probably the purest FF game in terms of capturing what the series is about. Not a big fan of the cartoony vibe but it's still just a really great game.
FF 10- Proof that linearity isn't a bad thing in these games when done correctly (FF13 take note)
FF 6- Classic (if a tiny bit overrated). Best villain by some margin.
FF4- The first classic of the series.

The good but not great pile:

FF1- A bit bland but ok
FF2- Actually enjoyed this despite it being hated by a lot of people.
FF3- enjoyable but no real story
FF5- underrated and fun, though the random battle encounter rate was way too high in the version I played most recently.
FF12- Gameplay was fun and the world map is probably the best in the series but is annoyingly getting the status as a bit of a lost classic which i don't think it deserves. Most of the party sucks, there's barely any emotional or dramatic moments in the story, it's all a bit meh. It's extremely well written in terms of dialogue but there's not a lot there that really grabs me.
FF15- does a lot of things wrong but gets points for a great villain, decent battle system and good music.

The one I really hate:

The only one that i really disliked in the series was 13. The combat system and music are actually pretty good, it's just story and characters that I find so unbearably obnoxious. Getting the platinum was just pure torture at some points.

Art Vandelay

7>9>10

As far as ranking the shit ones I've played. Starting from the worst.

13>8>10-2

I was too young/thick to appreciate 4, 5 and 6. I don't think I even finished them. 12 I thought was ok, but I never got finishing it as my PS2 broke. I intend to buy it if they ever drop the remaster from that ridiculous price. 15 I have no intention of ever playing because it looks shite.

BlackShark_80

for me the best ff games are:
6>9>7>Tactics>8>10>Crisis Core>12>5>4>15>Type-0>2>3>1>Dirge of Cerberus>Tactics: A2> Tactics: Advance>10-2>13-3>13-2>13