Gaming The Final Fantasy Thread

What's your favourite single-player FF?

• Total voters

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
They've butchered the remaster.
In one scene before leaving for Dollet, headmaster Cid is reverted to his old pixelated self. Guess they just forgot?
In the scene on the balcony after the dance, Squall suddenly has black hair while Quistis talks to him. :lol:
Yeah I noticed that with Cid too. Surely that has to be patched? It can be patched, right??? I'm near the Sorceress Parade and I've really enjoyed it so far. Died once fighting Diablos but I'm pretty overpowered now and that's after refusing to abuse the item refine ability (not at this stage any rate)
The issue with Cid is because he's part of the background in that scene. I've not got it but apparently there is the same problem in other scenes too. Probably could be patched, but won't as they'd have to redo the background.

Adcuth

I'd love Netflix to produce a series based on the FF7 storyline. Be class that

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I'd love Netflix to produce a series based on the FF7 storyline. Be class that
Would prefer a FF4 movie. Not everyone has played it and the story is good.
Or FF6 if they are just doing the best story.

The issue with Cid is because he's part of the background in that scene. I've not got it but apparently there is the same problem in other scenes too. Probably could be patched, but won't as they'd have to redo the background.
He is still possible to interact with, so I'm not sure I believe them. Even so they have already made a sprite larger than it needs to be (Squall in the infirmity has his feet outside of bed), so they could have made a sprite at that size to cover the background-Cid.

Not expecting them to fix it now, but it goes to show how half-arsed the small things they have done has been done.
Hell, modding Ff8 was better looking.

But I do enjoy playing it on my ps4. Been farming cards for everyone's ultimate weapons & leveled Seifer to 100 along with some GFs on the bridge. I can't not have the platinum on my favorite FF game. :drool:

Adcuth

Would prefer a FF4 movie. Not everyone has played it and the story is good.
Or FF6 if they are just doing the best story.
Is there a way to play those games still? Only started from 7 but always been told that 6 was really good. Don't know much about 4

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Is there a way to play those games still? Only started from 7 but always been told that 6 was really good. Don't know much about 4
I think they are available on phones & steam for the legal channels. Emulating them is a good experience due to superspeed, especially for the grinding.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
They can't because they lost all the master files for the PSX era backgrounds, so would be working with shitty crushed images. They'd have to redraw it all from scratch.

Irwin99

It's annoying to see on Metacritic the fan rating going down for FF8 not because of any legit criticism of the backgrounds or because some people might not like the game (which is perfectly fair) but because of censorship issues. I've seen this with lots of other games too and it just seems so ridiculous.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
It's annoying to see on Metacritic the fan rating going down for FF8 not because of any legit criticism of the backgrounds or because some people might not like the game (which is perfectly fair) but because of censorship issues. I've seen this with lots of other games too and it just seems so ridiculous.
Where else are people going to see a yellow triangle?

Irwin99

Triple Triad gets pretty hard on disc 3 with the Plus rule. I'm fine with the same rule but I just always mess up when the plus rule is in effect.

Just got Odin and the Tonberry King GFs. Really enjoying the game again.

pacifictheme

They can't because they lost all the master files for the PSX era backgrounds, so would be working with shitty crushed images. They'd have to redraw it all from scratch.
Pretty sure they just deleted them for space rather than losing them. Idiots.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Guessing it's the changes to Siren?
Who uses guardian forces anyway?

Last edited:

Irwin99

Guessing it's the changes to Siren?
Who uses guardian forces anyway? I'm more annoyed at them making it so I can't do all seed tests before I level up Squall. :p
Yes and apparently to Rinoa too but i can't see a major difference

I'm barely using GFs at all this time but i did used to use them on previous playthroughs. A nice idea for the remaster might have been to introduce a 'hard mode' where GFs can only be used once per x amount of battles and where top magic can't be accessed until late in the game. I'd completely forgotten that tents can be refined into curagas at the start of the game :lol:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Yes and apparently to Rinoa too but i can't see a major difference

I'm barely using GFs at all this time but i did used to use them on previous playthroughs. A nice idea for the remaster might have been to introduce a 'hard mode' where GFs can only be used once per x amount of battles and where top magic can't be accessed until late in the game. I'd completely forgotten that tents can be refined into curagas at the start of the game :lol:
A hard mode would delete card mod and re-balance the game so enemies scale with your stats instead of just your level, they would also have to change location of a lot of items.
GFs are largely pointless power-wise to use in battles due to how many ways you can break the game.

You can level Seifer (alone, kill the others) to 100 and get dragon skin early alongside firaga, thundaga, blizzaga and curaga during the dollet mission. (and level Quezacotl, Shiva and Ifrit to max if you want)

Magic wise you can get best in slot or close to best in slot for most things before leaving for Timber.
Quistis ultimate weapon can be gotten before even doing Ifrit alongside great blue magic like bad breath, mighty guard, degenerator and shockwave pulsar.

All ultimate weapons are available from disc 1 apart from Irvines Exeter.

The game is easy to break if you know how, but where others see it as a negative i see it as something that is available in all of the popular FF games and something I quite enjoy.

And this is just the tip of it, and excluding refining the special cards which you could do to get stuff like maxed triple magic.
I love this game! :drool:

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
So just unto the fight between Balamb and Galbadia and they've only gone and used the crappy PC version of The Landing and not the original. Really annoying as it's what of my favourite parts of the game but the soundtrack just sounds awful. The original is epic. There's been a few instances like this where you can tell it's been a lazy remaster.

Still, thoroughly enjoying the game.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
So just unto the fight between Balamb and Galbadia and they've only gone and used the crappy PC version of The Landing and not the original. Really annoying as it's what of my favourite parts of the game but the soundtrack just sounds awful. The original is epic. There's been a few instances like this where you can tell it's been a lazy remaster.

I'm in d-prison looking for rosetta stones. (not using stopclock method, so it's taking a long time)
Have all the best weapons bar exeter, low level main party & closing in on shockwave pulsar for Quistis. :cool:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm in d-prison looking for rosetta stones. (not using stopclock method, so it's taking a long time)
Have all the best weapons bar exeter, low level main party & closing in on shockwave pulsar for Quistis. :cool:
You might be there until the FF7 remake getting that Rosetta Stone:lol:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Oh I'm not just going after one. On pure feckery I've decided to go for 3.:lol:
And you don't even need to get one due to bahamut, esthar shop and Ultimecias Castle. :cool:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Just got my first. 2 to go. :cool:
To be fair, I spent over 20 hours (with 3x speed) farming triple triad before leaving for Timber as well as leveling Seifer to lvl 100 in dollet.

Irwin99

Yeah that was really jarring for me too, especially when it was at such an epic part of the game. If they can't patch some of the visuals then they surely have to patch that at some point.

I've just beaten Omega weapon and now i'm about to face Ultimecia which should be ridiculously easy in comparison to him. Just got to beat her and then that's the platinum. Quistis, Rinoa and Squall are at level 100 and everyone has their final weapons but I couldn't muster the patience to finish the queen of cards side quest. Apparently there's a chicobo card you get for completing that awful chocobo game. I gave up at that point. I was only about 7 cards away from completion too :(

I've actually enjoyed the remaster for this. The monster character model reworks have been impressive.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Also got Rosetta stone #2 now.

Quistis shockwave pulsar, finally.
100 tri-face cards. :lol:

Last edited:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
That is some serious grinding!
Just looking for that 3rd Rosetta Stone now and I can finally move on from the prison.
Will level up all gfs (at that point) to lvl 100 alongside Edea when the time comes.

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Just looking for that 3rd Rosetta Stone now and I can finally move on from the prison.
Will level up all gfs (at that point) to lvl 100 alongside Edea when the time comes.
I've done a bit of grinding in the desert with the Cactuars to get some abilities. Just got to Esther, tend to do most my grinding after I've got the Ragnarok and and fly to Island Closest to Hell.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I've done a bit of grinding in the desert with the Cactuars to get some abilities. Just got to Esther, tend to do most my grinding after I've got the Ragnarok and and fly to Island Closest to Hell.
I tend to just do draw point farming on the islands.
Normally I get shockwave pulsar right before ultima weapon, but since I didn't play ff8 a ton last year I figured I'd go all out on the grinding during my ps4 platinum run.

I saw someone comment about missing the card queen quest line and that they'll skip some other cards, isn't all cards part of the platinum?

Edit:
3.5 hours of farming in total to get 3 Rosetta stones done. Now I can move on. :lol:

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Normally I get shockwave pulsar right before ultima weapon, but since I didn't play ff8 a ton last year I figured I'd go all out on the grinding during my ps4 platinum run.

I saw someone comment about missing the card queen quest line and that they'll skip some other cards, isn't all cards part of the platinum?

Edit:
3.5 hours of farming in total to get 3 Rosetta stones done. Now I can move on. :lol:
I think the only trophy related quests regards to cards are completing the CC Club Quest and acquiring the PuPu card.

Irwin99

Just got the platinum. Fantastic game, still my favourite FF and despite a few issues here and there, I actually really liked this remaster. Seeing Ulty in her throne room at the end was great and she looks a million times better than she does on the PS1. As I said, the character models for the most part are really well done. Strange that they didn't fix Ultimecia's infamously weird speech ('Kurse all SeeDs') considering she speaks fine in Dissidia and in other translations of the game but whatever.

I still hope they might do a prequel or a sequel one day given that it's the third best selling game after VII and X. There'd definitely be a market I would think.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Edit:
Card related trophies:
  • Card Player (Play Triple Triad)
  • Loser (Lose a rare card in a Triple Triad game)
  • Cards Club Master (Defeat every member of the CC group)
  • UFO (Complete the PuPu side quest)

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The amount of times I've played this game and I've only just discovered you can land the Ragnarok in Esther :lol:

All these years I've been landing outside and running in....

Irwin99

The amount of times I've played this game and I've only just discovered you can land the Ragnarok in Esther :lol:

All these years I've been landing outside and running in....
I've only just discovered you can meet the Queen of cards on disc 4 in Esther.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Platinumed it.

I love this game. Whilst it has it's flaws it doesn't detract from what is a great story and a great journey. The end battle with Ultimecia and the 4 brilliant themes that accompany it is probably my favourite final boss battle in the FF series (X is the worst, by a distance).

That being said, a couple of things irk me. I think enemy design is by and large generally poor. Quite why I am fighting the same monsters in Ultimecia's castle as I am outside of Balamb Garden 5 minutes into the game I'm not too sure. I think it's lazy. I also think the side quests are pretty dull, and triple triad gets boring unless you have the random and same/plus rules whilst you play, otherwise it's just too easy.

Minor issues though. Fantastic game, Squall is one of my favourite characters of the entire series.

Irwin99

Noctis finally got his Versus XIII outfit.
Dissidia NT is one of the most frustrating games i've ever played but it's still a lot of fun. I expect to encounter a million Japanese players with this new Noctis outfit.

As I have have a preference for marksman/mage characters I've never been able to master Shantotto. The Emperor on the other hand :drool:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I had to come back and play the original FF7 after the remake so I could be reminded of how beautiful the original story was. Just left the Gold Saucer for the first time and now running around picking up Enemy skills and doing the side quests before continuing the Sephiroth chase.