Gaming The Final Fantasy Thread

What's your favourite single-player FF?

• Total voters

Irwin99

I had to come back and play the original FF7 after the remake so I could be reminded of how beautiful the original story was. Just left the Gold Saucer for the first time and now running around picking up Enemy skills and doing the side quests before continuing the Sephiroth chase.
Picking up the enemy skills is a lot of fun.

I did think about playing it again after completing the remake. I keep wondering how they're going to replicate the original in part 2 but I suppose they have licence to cut a load of stuff now.

Art Vandelay

Want to play FF7 again over the summer, but I fancy doing a challenge run just to make it a bit more interesting. Anybody ever done one?
I hope you fail...

Last time I played it I got as far as Junon and then couldn't be bothered marching. I was convinced I could miss something useful during that section, meant to look it up and forgot to go back to it. After spending hours levelling limit breaks I was undone by some marching. :lol:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I hope you fail...

Last time I played it I got as far as Junon and then couldn't be bothered marching. I was convinced I could miss something useful during that section, meant to look it up and forgot to go back to it. After spending hours levelling limit breaks I was undone by some marching. :lol:
I always do crap at the marching bit, I don't think you can win anything that you can't get later on in the game though...

Art Vandelay

They are all supposed to be coming to Xbox Game Pass too, which I assume means they will also be on PC. It was announced last year, but no word since.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm usually quite good at video games but i'm terrible at the minigames in FF7. The bike game where you have to protect the truck - terrible at, the basketball game - terrible at, the marching bit - terrible at, the rollercoaster shooting thing - terrible at. The only one I can do perfectly is the Rufus scene where you win the sword if you get over 110% approval.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I hope you fail...

Dont you get a sword if you do it perfectly? The one before Runeblade. Ugh my memory fails me.

Edit: ah no it's the rufus scene @SilentWitness mentioned. that's right.

On a different note, Im playing the trials of mana remake. Quite fun and nostalgic too. Not final fantasy, but square as well so meh.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Dont you get a sword if you do it perfectly? The one before Runeblade. Ugh my memory fails me.

Edit: ah no it's the rufus scene @SilentWitness mentioned. that's right.

On a different note, Im playing the trials of mana remake. Quite fun and nostalgic too. Not final fantasy, but square as well so meh.
I thought there was materia involved too, but I'm probably misremembering.

What's it like? I never played the original.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I thought there was materia involved too, but I'm probably misremembering.

What's it like? I never played the original.
It's a relatively simplistic hack n slash rpg. Though really from the golden era of snes rpgs. Honestly, without the nostalgia I doubt how well it holds up. The story and gameplay are nearly identical to 1995, but with updated visuals. Think it's the same engine as DQ11.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I forgot how emotional the game was at times. Even bits leading up to THAT scene at the end of Disc 1. Red XIII's father crying tugs at the heart too. Just finished disc 1 and the final battle on that should definitely be in the top 10 of brutal gaming moments. Playing that fecking music while you're fighting! :( :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Does the Chocobo reset trick work on the Steam version on PC? Caught a good chocobo and went back to the farm but everytime i try to put it into the stable it's female. Spent about an hour and the reset trick doesn't seem to be working.

EDIT: Managed to get it working. By the way. All the FFs are on sale at the moment on Steam. 50% off.

Last edited:

Irwin99

I'm playing FF X-2 .....I feel dirty admitting that given the amount of cringe in this game but the battle system is undeniably good. No way am I bothering with the platinum though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm playing FF X-2 .....I feel dirty admitting that given the amount of cringe in this game but the battle system is undeniably good. No way am I bothering with the platinum though.
I beat X-2 like 3 times, thought it was brilliant. It took a while to overcome that opening cinematic though.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
FFVII Remake is really making me want to replay FFVII. I assume the updated PC/Switch versions have Analog support? It always put me off going back to it having to use the fecking D-Pad again!

Ainu

I've always thought it was an excellent game if you could ignore all of the silly stuff. I loved the battle system, still one of my favourites in the series. Timing your attacks to create that chain/combo bonus (forget how it was called) just makes it that little bit more involved. Dress jobs were nice too. And it does actually have a darker mystery lurking beneath the surface as you progress through it. It's not a game you want to be caught playing, but I still love it.

Irwin99

Can’t believe @Irwin99 is going to ruin his FF platinum collection by not platinuming X-2.
I justify my decision by viewing it as a sequel/spinoff and not as a 'proper' entry :D .....otherwise I'd have to do 13 parts 2 and part 3 as well. My sanity barely coped with the platinum for 13 which was absolute torture (that game's plot can burn in hell !!!!)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I justify my decision by viewing it as a sequel/spinoff and not as a 'proper' entry :D .....otherwise I'd have to do 13 parts 2 and part 3 as well. My sanity barely coped with the platinum for 13 which was absolute torture (that game's plot can burn in hell !!!!)
13 is the only one that I’ve never managed to complete. (Yeah, I’m also writing off 13-2 and 13-3). Vanille after 5 minutes makes me want to put all of my money into a trust that can give me the power to rebirth just so I can shoot myself, rebirth and then shoot myself again.

Irwin99

13 is the only one that I’ve never managed to complete. (Yeah, I’m also writing off 13-2 and 13-3). Vanille after 5 minutes makes me want to put all of my money into a trust that can give me the power to rebirth just so I can shoot myself, rebirth and then shoot myself again.
Pretty much how I felt. The whole cast were just awful.

Irwin99

This Sphere Break minigame looks suspiciously like.... actual maths! And it is :(

Art Vandelay

FFVII Remake is really making me want to replay FFVII. I assume the updated PC/Switch versions have Analog support? It always put me off going back to it having to use the fecking D-Pad again!
I've only played the Xbox version, but ended up having to use the d-pad instead of the stick as it felt awkward to move around otherwise. Not sure if they patched it to add actual analogue support since, but I very much doubt it.

Art Vandelay

Snow was worse. Snow is possibly the worst character I've ever witnessed in a game and I met the Star Child in Mass Effect 3.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
We should change the poll to ‘which do you wish could be the next remake?’.

The story and music of 6 makes it objectively the best choice, but it does not feel as popular (at least in the US) as 8 or 10.

Art Vandelay

"Heroes don't need plans!!!!" (he says when everybody is dying around him).
Whoever wrote him needs hit in the balls with nunchuks. Almost everything he said was stupid or about being heroes, often both. He was a complete and utter cringe lord and the only redeeming feature of the characters in that game was that Lightning almost hated him as much as I did.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Snow was worse. Snow is possibly the worst character I've ever witnessed in a game and I met the Star Child in Mass Effect 3.
For sure, easily the worst character in any FF game by a comfortable distance.

Irwin99

Did anybody get 100% on FFX-2 back in the day or the platinum on the PS4? I remember my teenage self getting 99% on the PS2 but I could never beat the boss under bevellie temple on lv 100

Have got 88% so far on this playthrough and although it's been a lot of fun the grindiness is getting to me a bit now.

Raw

Did anybody get 100% on FFX-2 back in the day or the platinum on the PS4? I remember my teenage self getting 99% on the PS2 but I could never beat the boss under bevellie temple on lv 100

Have got 88% so far on this playthrough and although it's been a lot of fun the grindiness is getting to me a bit now.
I got it the remastered version and yeah, 100% was an absolute pain. The smallest most insignificant things count towards it :lol:

Irwin99

I got it the remastered version and yeah, 100% was an absolute pain. The smallest most insignificant things count towards it :lol:
Yeah, I've noticed. My god some of the stuff you have to do to get it (watching com spheres is really boring) :mad:

Ainu

I remember trying it back on the PS2 but when you missed even a minor event in an earlier chapter, you were fecked. So I never managed to get to the end with an actual chance of getting 100%.

Irwin99

Anyone ever played Crystal Chronicles? Remaster is coming out later this month and I've never played it and have no idea what it's like. Is the story any good?

el3mel

I have only played 15 and 7 remake of the series, but I feel the eager to try some old games. I did the same with Dragon Quest after I played XI I went on and played 7,8 and 9.

Was thinking of trying the GBA games and X as it has a remastered version on PC.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Anyone ever played Crystal Chronicles? Remaster is coming out later this month and I've never played it and have no idea what it's like. Is the story any good?
It's a long time ago, but I remember it being decidedly meh. Sort of Disneyish.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I have only played 15 and 7 remake of the series, but I feel the eager to try some old games. I did the same with Dragon Quest after I played XI I went on and played 7,8 and 9.

Was thinking of trying the GBA games and X as it has a remastered version on PC.
FF6 & 9 are must-plays. FF8 is a personal favorite.
FF5 is quite underrated in my opinion, but I think it is because of the grind being real there. If you emulate it then you'll have superspeed to get through the grind.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
FF6 & 9 are must-plays. FF8 is a personal favorite.
FF5 is quite underrated in my opinion, but I think it is because of the grind being real there. If you emulate it then you'll have superspeed to get through the grind.
The job system in 5 was awesome. But everything pre ps1 is hard to enjoy unless you dont mind the very old schools graphics. I personally love sprites, but I have more than a few mates that laugh at me endlessly for playing those games.

Final Fantasy tactics is a fecking master piece btw, try that too @el3mel