The first Cricket sheep thread

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Aren't Prath-NM in as a team already?
OK, didn't know.

Ten is enough!
Ya but I guess we might get 16 if we wait one day at max. Also @VanGaalEra @paulscholes18 and @Kazi who played last time. We can get 16 I think. If not we can start with 12, with group format. Group of 3 each and top 2 go to quarters. If we get 13-14-15 confirmed, players can team up. So either 10,12 or 16! Go go go!

Norris

Wow, so much happened in the last couple days. Format sounds fun, but what mode will it be in? Snake or Sheep ?

Also, if someone needs an AM, let me know. I prefer being an AM in this one.

Norris

So many willing to be AM's. Where's a Mike Basset when you need one.. :drool:.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
If you need numbers, then I'll play but I'd prefer to be AM. As @Akshay will testify, I can sometimes disappear for an entire day which will hold up the draft or lead to missed picks.

Norris

Is an auction draft a bad idea ?

I admit, it's a bit difficult to manage. But it will be interesting to see people try to outbid each other for players which might leave them short in the final stages of the picks.

Varun

Staff
Wow, so much happened in the last couple days. Format sounds fun, but what mode will it be in? Snake or Sheep ?

Also, if someone needs an AM, let me know. I prefer being an AM in this one.
Snake.
Is an auction draft a bad idea ?

I admit, it's a bit difficult to manage. But it will be interesting to see people try to outbid each other for players which might leave them short in the final stages of the picks.
Skills idea wasnt really an auction draft. Just a priority one. Running an auction draft would be an absolute clusterfeck anyways.

Varun

Staff
Is this one going to be a sheep or snake draft? If it's going to be the snake I could run it and then @Skills could run a T20/sheep draft as he might prefer after.
Yeah, a snake draft barely requires any modding so we should start as soon as we have the numbers. We have 11 already but I think there are more interested so we should wait till tonight to give them a chance if people don't turn up, we do a group format with 12.

Norris

How would a Snake help when we all have to PM the mod about our Priority picks ? Wouldn't it just be better if we all submitted our picks at the same time to the mod. Snake just wastes time and adds no value, unless I have understood the format wrong.
Skills idea wasnt really an auction draft. Just a priority one. Running an auction draft would be an absolute clusterfeck anyways.
Yeah, I know. It can get way too complicated and time zones obviously will make it worse. But would be an interesting one if exceuted well enough.

Varun

Staff
How would a Snake help when we all have to PM the mod about our Priority picks ? Wouldn't it just be better if we all submitted our picks at the same time to the mod. Snake just wastes time and adds no value, unless I have understood the format wrong.

Yeah, I know. It can get way too complicated and time zones obviously will make it worse. But would be an interesting one if exceuted well enough.
Yeah, had followed the one they had in the FF for a while, looked great but it would need a lot of time and modding. Something for later maybe. Time to fire up a quick snake one now. :drool:

Norris

Yeah, had followed the one they had in the FF for a while, looked great but it would need a lot of time and modding. Something for later maybe. Time to fire up a quick snake one now. :drool:
Ok, so this is what I understood from a snake draft. Suppose you have first pick and you go
  • Player A - 3
  • Player C - 2
  • Player B - 1
and then I go,
  • Player C- 3
  • Player A -2
  • Player B - 1
In this case, you get Player A and I get Player C and Player B is blocked. Correct ?

If this is correct, can't we all just send in all our picks at the same time ? Either way it seems tedious for the Mod to sort out who has who.

Akshay

Staff
Ok, so this is what I understood from a snake draft. Suppose you have first pick and you go
  • Player A - 3
  • Player C - 2
  • Player B - 1
and then I go,
  • Player C- 3
  • Player A -2
  • Player B - 1
In this case, you get Player A and I get Player C and Player B is blocked. Correct ?

If this is correct, can't we all just send in all our picks at the same time ? Either way it seems tedious for the Mod to sort out who has who.
That is not snake draft, that seems something like what Skills was suggesting. Snake draft is simply person A picks someone, then person B, then so on until the last person. Then the next round starts and the picking order is reversed. And so on, until all the rounds are complete. It needs pretty much zero moderation but depending on how quickly people send in their picks it can drag out a bit.

Norris

That is not snake draft, that seems something like what Skills was suggesting. Snake draft is simply person A picks someone, then person B, then so on until the last person. Then the next round starts and the picking order is reversed. And so on, until all the rounds are complete. It needs pretty much zero moderation but depending on how quickly people send in their picks it can drag out a bit.
Oh, I thought we were trying to integrate Skills's idea into either a Sheep or snake draft.

Norris

If it's a normal Snake Draft, I'm out, but if someone needs an AM, will gladly try to help. If it's skills's idea or something else, I'm in, though I prefer to be AM even in that case.

Norris

A straightforward snake draft seems a little boring imo. Everyone will have really strong teams and a lot of close contests and ultimately voting may just boil down to preference. If it were to be spiced up with say that 1-2 player per nation rule or if we jump to Skills's idea too, it atleast adds a bit of intrigue.
And also I'm not all that knowledgeable on Cricket anyway, stopped following since 2011, so I figured being an AM would be better.

Varun

Staff
A straightforward snake draft seems a little boring imo. Everyone will have really strong teams and a lot of close contests and ultimately voting may just boil down to preference. If it were to be spiced up with say that 1-2 player per nation rule or if we jump to Skills's idea too, it atleast adds a bit of intrigue.
And also I'm not all that knowledgeable on Cricket anyway, stopped following since 2011, so I figured being an AM would be better.
The 2 per nation rule has to be there, guess skills just forgot, it'd be too boring otherwise, I agree.

Norris

The 2 per nation rule has to be there, guess skills just forgot, it'd be too boring otherwise, I agree.
Oh, alright. Still prefer to be AM though. Will join in if we can't make up the numbers though I doubt that will happen.

Varun

Staff
Oh, alright. Still prefer to be AM though. Will join in if we can't make up the numbers though I doubt that will happen.
Being an AM is fine. Just play as it should be good fun. I enjoy the drafting and not the match ups which is why I am playing as an AM too. :p

Norris

Being an AM is fine. Just play as it should be good fun. I enjoy the drafting and not the match ups which is why I am playing as an AM too. :p
Same here. Far more interesting to pick players, evaluating a strategy and heading in a particular direction than the actual match-ups. :p. Else we should do something similar to what MJJ does, pick the team and then when it comes to matches, say we're too busy and that can't participate in the match-ups. :drool:.