Film The Flash

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Just got out of the cinema. Really enjoyed this. By far the best DC movie so far. Good fun. First 2/3 are great, does overstretch in last 3rd but really enjoyable.
It is one of the better DCEU movies, I agree. I would put Wonder Woman, Man of Steel and The Suicide Squad above it though.

Sylar

Ach, I hate websites that take ten paragraphs and a dozen scroll down ads before getting to the point. Thanks though :) seems like a crap argument considering the problem the industry has with visual effects studios across the board.
Wait what?
This is ... Ridiculous :lol:
Either the excuse or the fact this is intended

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Actually a decent movie. Definitely should have edited some of the content after the lead actors off-screen behaviour though.

“Get some therapy, they don’t really provide much at the Justice League” was a little bit galling.

He’s a disgusting human and clearly needs boat loads of therapy. Having him make jokes about it probably isn’t being well received by the child that got a protection order against him. Or the 12 year old that got a protection order against him. Or the next family that had police issue protective care orders for children homed with him.

Hoping that they can use this movie to introduce another actor for Flash and bin the fella off. Surely the best way forward as someone finally seems to have world out how to write a movie properly.

dinostar77

It is one of the better DCEU movies, I agree. I would put Wonder Woman, Man of Steel and The Suicide Squad above it though.
I think it had a similar problem to MoS in that it overreached and tried to do too much in one movie.

Wonder Woman was a good movie.

I think The Flash is the most marvel movie so far.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Have no idea who the main actor is,
Have no clue about the DC universe,
Usually hate 'super hero' blockbusters as they are usually absolute crap,

But this was actually alright, nothing groundbreaking but an enjoyable film with good nostalgia throughout.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
I really enjoyed this movie, the twists really got me and pulled me in. The fight scenes at the end were really good as well. I definitely think it's a good overall movie that didn't disappoint.

Herman Toothrot

This was terrible from start to finish, a fitting send-off to the DCEU or whatever the feck it was even called in the end.

The CG is distractingly terrible, the cameos are unearned and so poorly executed that they're borderline offensive. It's the least interesting take on the already-so-tired multiverse trope and, in the end, it couldn't even be bothered to finish itself off. Much-advertised plot threads were abandoned without fanfare and, by the time it's all over, we realise we've wasted two hours so someone could look into a camera to prove they were in a shop, which as far as I could tell, wasn't disputed in the first place and in no way would help clear them of what they're accused.

Dreadful.

Champ

This was terrible from start to finish, a fitting send-off to the DCEU or whatever the feck it was even called in the end.

The CG is distractingly terrible, the cameos are unearned and so poorly executed that they're borderline offensive. It's the least interesting take on the already-so-tired multiverse trope and, in the end, it couldn't even be bothered to finish itself off. Much-advertised plot threads were abandoned without fanfare and, by the time it's all over, we realise we've wasted two hours so someone could look into a camera to prove they were in a shop, which as far as I could tell, wasn't disputed in the first place and in no way would help clear them of what they're accused.

Dreadful.
Without spoiling too much to anyone else who hasn't seen it,
the fact that the person in question had an alibi by being on CCTV proves the crime wasn't committed by said person. That was the point. Which was explained during the movie. So yes it would clear them of the crime as it proves they weren't anywhere near the crime scene.

Herman Toothrot

Without spoiling too much to anyone else who hasn't seen it,
the fact that the person in question had an alibi by being on CCTV proves the crime wasn't committed by said person. That was the point. Which was explained during the movie. So yes it would clear them of the crime as it proves they weren't anywhere near the crime scene.
Hang on...

But at the start of the film we see him coming back from the shop, she'd literally just been killed seconds earlier and he was holding her with a knife in her chest. How does proof of him being at the shop beforehand clear him in any way? We hear her scream and he's back within seconds, he wasn't at the shop at the time of the murder, he was already pulling up. To be honest, I think he fecking did it.

Champ

Hang on...

But at the start of the film we see him coming back from the shop, she'd literally just been killed seconds earlier and he was holding her with a knife in her chest. How does proof of him being at the shop beforehand clear him in any way? We hear her scream and he's back within seconds, he wasn't at the shop at the time of the murder, he was already pulling up. To be honest, I think he fecking did it.
she had bled out a fair bit by the time he got back if I remember correctly, suggesting it had happened a few minutes earlier, him being at the shop proves his alibi that he wasn't at the house before/during when the murder happened, something they couldn't prove originally due to him not looking up at the camera. What he should have done to save his dad would be to hide the hat. That would have been easier than what he actually did.

Herman Toothrot

she had bled out a fair bit by the time he got back if I remember correctly, suggesting it had happened a few minutes earlier, him being at the shop proves his alibi that he wasn't at the house before/during when the murder happened, something they couldn't prove originally due to him not looking up at the camera. What he should have done to save his dad would be to hide the hat. That would have been easier than what he actually did.
From my recollection, admittedly I'd had a beer, it looked like she had literally just died (maybe even screamed) and that Barry's Dad was there a split second later and was even holding the knife. Now I don't think we are to assume he did it (I think it was evil Flash or something in the comics - again a weirdly unpulled plot thread), but I just don't see how establishing he'd been to a shop earlier that day clears his name. You could headcanon that there's by-the-second estimated time of death science in the DCEU, but why centre your entire plot around something so thin that could have easily been clearer? Anyway, I like your hat idea, but I also quite liked that humble tinned tomatoes played such a vital role in a multi-verse-spanning CGI mess! It's not the film's biggest problem, I hate nit-picking, this just seemed so silly and I don't know how nobody picked this up in the 8 years or so this has been in production.

Last edited:

Champ

From my recollection, admittedly I'd had a beer, it looked like she had literally just died (maybe even screamed) and that Barry's Dad was there a split second later and was even holding the knife. Now I don't think we are to assume he did it (I think it was evil Flash or something in the comics - again a weirdly unpulled plot thread), but I just don't see how establishing he'd been to a shop earlier that day clears his name. You could headcanon that there's by-the-second estimated time of death science in the DCEU, but why centre your entire plot around something so thin that could have easily been clearer? Anyway, I like your hat idea, but I also quite liked that humble tinned tomatoes played such a vital role in a multi-verse-spanning CGI mess! It's not the film's biggest problem, I hate nit-picking, this just seemed so silly and I don't know how nobody picked this up in the 8 years or so this has been in production.
Yeah, I can understand your point.

I must admit, I know little to nothing about the recent DC films, nor the backstory of the Flash, I don't like super hero films generally as they are low hanging fruit, so I came into the film without knowing any back story or any preconceptions regarding the story.

I guess if you are familiar with the storylines or can buy into the characters and universe then I can see how the smaller finer points would grate on people.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Didn't hate it. Didn't love it either.

Shame that Keaton's comeback as Batman had to be this, tbh. A Logan style Dark Knight Returns adaptation, with Pfeiffer back as well would've been an Oscar winner.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I watched it today, really enjoyed it, although I’ve always had a soft spot for the Flash since the 90’s series which I loved as a kid.

Ezra (while being a bit of a dick) was excellent as Barry(‘s) and I’d like to see him back again as Flash in the future
A bit of a dick? Genuinely want to know what makes you a full on dick if the shit that Ezra miller has pulled makes you a bit of one?

This should be their last appearance in the franchise and they should count themselves mighty lucky this even got released.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
A Logan style Dark Knight Returns adaptation, with Pfeiffer back as well would've been an Oscar winner.
Ooooh that would be something!

A bit of a dick? Genuinely want to know what makes you a full on dick if the shit that Ezra miller has pulled makes you a bit of one?

This should be their last appearance in the franchise and they should count themselves mighty lucky this even got released.
Agreed. He should be in a hospital getting help if anything.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Didn't hate it. Didn't love it either.

Shame that Keaton's comeback as Batman had to be this, tbh. A Logan style Dark Knight Returns adaptation, with Pfeiffer back as well would've been an Oscar winner.
He should have been Bruce Wayne's father as in the comics

led_scholes

Just saw it. An OK film. Much better and less cringe worthy than Spiderman.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah, I can understand your point.

I must admit, I know little to nothing about the recent DC films, nor the backstory of the Flash, I don't like super hero films generally as they are low hanging fruit, so I came into the film without knowing any back story or any preconceptions regarding the story.

I guess if you are familiar with the storylines or can buy into the characters and universe then I can see how the smaller finer points would grate on people.
I came into the movie having loved the story (comics and anime) so I could have set myself up for disappointment but I didn't let it ruin the fun for me. It's one thing I've learn from the MCU, don't expect too much and watch the movie without thinking a lot :angel:

Herman Toothrot

The last one, with the previous two Spiderman actors and villains coming to his universe.
Yeah I didn't think much of that one either. It probably held together a bit more than The Flash and didn't look quite as horrible, but ultimately it felt like a bunch of cameos filmed on a green screen intended only for a applause by audiences who come to the cinema expecting to cheer at the things they already know will happen.

We are well past the peak of this era of superhero movies, but the Into The Spider-verse animations stand out as something special. These characters and stories will retold forever, which is fine, but we're desperately in need of fresh takes from Marvel and DC now. Spider-verse and The Batman say to me that it's maybe time to give massive interconnected cinematic universes a break for a while.

whitbyviking

Extremely poor: Miller is shockingly bad, and having 2x Barry is just a disaster. Keaton is wasted, Supergirl was utterly pointless, Zod was a bizarre choice as the villain and then ruined, the effects are laughable, I could go on, I won't.
Actually I will; George Clooney comes back as Batman, which was nobody in the world needed to see the first time and definitely don't need to see now.

What an utter waste of time.

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Extremely poor: Miller is shockingly bad, and having 2x Barry is just a disaster. Keaton is wasted, Supergirl was utterly pointless, Zod was a bizarre choice as the villain and then ruined, the effects are laughable, I could go on, I won't. Actually I will; George Clooney comes back as Batman, which was nobody in the world needed to see the first time and definitely don't need to see now.

What an utter waste of time.
Thanks for spoiling the movie for me - I was going to see it and now not sure if I'll bother.

Herman Toothrot

Thanks for spoiling the movie for me - I was going to see it and now not sure if I'll bother.
If it helps, that was one of the very few funny moments in the film.

Still, maybe a mod could put that in spoilers?

Sylar

Yeah I didn't think much of that one either. It probably held together a bit more than The Flash and didn't look quite as horrible, but ultimately it felt like a bunch of cameos filmed on a green screen intended only for a applause by audiences who come to the cinema expecting to cheer at the things they already know will happen.

We are well past the peak of this era of superhero movies, but the Into The Spider-verse animations stand out as something special. These characters and stories will retold forever, which is fine, but we're desperately in need of fresh takes from Marvel and DC now. Spider-verse and The Batman say to me that it's maybe time to give massive interconnected cinematic universes a break for a while.
Spiderman was defo one for the fans and I thikn theyve said it was like a 'love letter' to the fans which I had no issues with it. I enjoyed it.
Saying that ,I liked Flash, I had fun most of all.

I have complained about how bad the worlds colliding CGI stuff was, because it looked fan made, and the ending was just... there. It stopped, and it didnt feel like the beginning of a new era, or the start of a reboot (which apparently it was meant to be). The bit spoiled above, was the confusing bit (but im guessing that was done on purpose so that you have to watch the next movie to see what it means).

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Superhero movies are currently the Man Utd of cinema, based on the various alleged crimes being committed that people are seemingly willing and able to overlook in the spirit of personal enjoyment of the end product.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I'm starting to look at Batman and Robin with a kinder eye now - considering I was probably the exact TG for it (9-13 year olds in 1997), I thought it was a hoot then.

At least the actors looked like they were having fun.

Herman Toothrot

Superhero movies are currently the Man Utd of cinema, based on the various alleged crimes being committed that people are seemingly willing and able to overlook in the spirit of personal enjoyment of the end product.
It's a bit of a stretch, but I get your point. I'm not sure how many Ezra Miller fans are out there, I'm unaware of much or even any vocal support of cheerleading for them. Regardless of what they have done, it takes thousands of people to bring a film to the screen, not just the face that fronts it. Although I hated this movie, I do think it's something of an achievement by The Muschietti's to salvage anything from the controversy and endless hirings, firings and ripping up of plans over at Warner Bros.

But going back to your point, I don't think The Flash is being used to clean the character of Ezra Miller, it's actually the opposite. Miller has damaged the character and whatever was left of the DCEU franchise. If it wasn't for the fact they were in almost every shot, I'm sure it would have been recast. We're seeing something similar right now with Jonathan Majors, Marvel had a decade-long slate centred around the actor but it looks like they're considering their options. They'd be wise to not ignore than massive red flags Warners did.

It's much more akin to the MG and Antony allegations, individuals putting the club and fans in a difficult position, than the God awful Qatari takeover.

Sylar

It's a bit of a stretch, but I get your point. I'm not sure how many Ezra Miller fans are out there, I'm unaware of much or even any vocal support of cheerleading for them. Regardless of what they have done, it takes thousands of people to bring a film to the screen, not just the face that fronts it. Although I hated this movie, I do think it's something of an achievement by The Muschietti's to salvage anything from the controversy and endless hirings, firings and ripping up of plans over at Warner Bros.

But going back to your point, I don't think The Flash is being used to clean the character of Ezra Miller, it's actually the opposite. Miller has damaged the character and whatever was left of the DCEU franchise. If it wasn't for the fact they were in almost every shot, I'm sure it would have been recast. We're seeing something similar right now with Jonathan Majors, Marvel had a decade-long slate centred around the actor but it looks like they're considering their options. They'd be wise to not ignore than massive red flags Warners did.

It's much more akin to the MG and Antony allegations, individuals putting the club and fans in a difficult position, than the God awful Qatari takeover.
Marvel also have it with the namor actor too.

You're right they did a good job salvaging it, this movie was targeted by Snyder fans before it was released, which is funny cos ita the one that has the snyderverse as canon and uses every actor except two and those two get a mention.

With regards to Ezra, I didn't see Ezra on any of the promotion red carpets and all, it was mainly Supergirl (from what I saw anyway)

UnrelatedPsuedo

Marvel also have it with the namor actor too.

You're right they did a good job salvaging it, this movie was targeted by Snyder fans before it was released, which is funny cos ita the one that has the snyderverse as canon and uses every actor except two and those two get a mention.

With regards to Ezra, I didn't see Ezra on any of the promotion red carpets and all, it was mainly Supergirl (from what I saw anyway)
Supergirl was such a silly side plot.

The more I think about it, using Zod and Supergirl as a plot device was so dumb and unnecessary and utterly irrelevant.

They’d have done better to ditch all of that and have multiple short 7 minute vignettes with Reeve, Cage, Cavill, Supergirl, illustrating that a Kryptonian on earth was a fixed point in the universe and only in Barry’s universe did Zod get defeated.

Same end result. More compelling movie. Smaller and more intimate. Keaton as surrogate father figure teaching Barry that personal sacrifice is noble and aspirational. Barry then gives up on his dad to save his world.

Sylar

Supergirl was such a silly side plot.

The more I think about it, using Zod and Supergirl as a plot device was so dumb and unnecessary and utterly irrelevant.

They’d have done better to ditch all of that and have multiple short 7 minute vignettes with Reeve, Cage, Cavill, Supergirl, illustrating that a Kryptonian on earth was a fixed point in the universe and only in Barry’s universe did Zod get defeated.

Same end result. More compelling movie. Smaller and more intimate. Keaton as surrogate father figure teaching Barry that personal sacrifice is noble and aspirational. Barry then gives up on his dad to save his world.
I get you, and that would have worked well.
The animated flashpoint is a fantastic movie and the best representation of flashpoint.

This movie apparently had a lot of Supergirl stuff cut, and the ending was changed too.
It's happened a lot to these DC movies. It's been a mess since the universe was announced (though I still think man of steel had a better first half than second half)

I'm wondering how much was changed due to Gunn taking over,how much was changed due to Ezras personal stuff.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I get you, and that would have worked well.
The animated flashpoint is a fantastic movie and the best representation of flashpoint.

This movie apparently had a lot of Supergirl stuff cut, and the ending was changed too.
It's happened a lot to these DC movies. It's been a mess since the universe was announced (though I still think man of steel had a better first half than second half)

I'm wondering how much was changed due to Gunn taking over,how much was changed due to Ezras personal stuff.
It was very enjoyable. The emotional bits were great. The small world stuff great.

But the huge amount of time spent saving Supergirl, only to lead to a cgi battle amongst anonymous characters on a sand flat… empty. Pointless.

wr8_utd

:'(
I prefer DC to Marvel but this was just meh. I think I've reached a saturation point with time travel and multiverses.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Really, really terrible film. Typical, shitty DC fare. They’ve really ranked their own brand with everyone except comic book fans. More casual observers, who are aware of the characters more loosely but were never into reading comics, know that DC films are generally just fecking appalling.

WW was okay, and got plaudits for the whole female empowerment perspective, but they trashed that with WW84 which was one of the worst comic book movies of the last decade. The Joker was obviously good, even if it was the least comic booky comic book film ever, and the Suicide Squad reboot was good too. The Batman garnered plenty of plaudits from fans, even though I personally thought it was pretty gash. But apart from that, it’s just trash from that studio. And they’ve exhausted goodwill it seems. Like a two year campaign to see the synder cut, which was just six hours of the same shit, drawn out and shot in a crap format.

The Flash looks like it’s going to absolutely bomb. Had a pretty poor opening weekend by tent pole standards, and is now looking at a 72-73% drop off, which would make it one of the biggest second weekend drop offs ever. I guess some sympathy goes to the studio for the Ezra Miller factor, but if the film was great, I suspect much of the effect would be overcome.

Hopefully this means a complete reboot and rethinking of the entire franchise. They can dump just about all the actors, cut ties with any remaining shitty writers and directors, and with Gunn in charge, maybe just maybe stop the halfwitted suits from meddling in every production and Final Cut. Although I doubt a studio with the track record of WB/DC Can genuinely avoid the temptation to shoot itself in the foot somehow.

The entire DC slate is about as good as Marvel’s Phase 5, which is widely derided as being absolutely appalling, and largely nonsensical. Just like Marvel should’ve taken a one to two year gap after then end of Phase 4, to give audiences a chance to breathe and build some anticipation towards a new era - instead of just churning out endless, shitty content which has eroded a lot of goodwill they built - DC should take some time to pause and create a sense of separation with what has come before. They need to not only produce something completely new - as in their entire universe - but they need audiences to understand that it’s a completely fresh start from all the shit that has come before.

The Flash is the perfect example of this. A film that most people I know are happy to see when it comes to Max, rather than paying to go to see at the cinema. Those who have seen it at theatres are either die hard fans, or looking for something to do with their kids. Outside of those groups, I have rarely seen a big comic book tent pole generate less interest and excitement.

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

Really, really terrible film. Typical, shitty DC fare. They’ve really ranked their own brand with everyone except comic book fans. More casual observers, who are aware of the characters more loosely but were never into reading comics, know that DC films are generally just fecking appalling.

WW was okay, and got plaudits for the whole female empowerment perspective, but they trashed that with WW84 which was one of the worst comic book movies of the last decade. The Joker was obviously good, even if it was the least comic booky comic book film ever, and the Suicide Squad reboot was good too. The Batman garnered plenty of plaudits from fans, even though I personally thought it was pretty gash. But apart from that, it’s just trash from that studio. And they’ve exhausted goodwill it seems. Like a two year campaign to see the synder cut, which was just six hours of the same shit, drawn out and shot in a crap format.

The Flash looks like it’s going to absolutely bomb. Had a pretty poor opening weekend by tent pole standards, and is now looking at a 72-73% drop off, which would make it one of the biggest second weekend drop offs ever. I guess some sympathy goes to the studio for the Ezra Miller factor, but if the film was great, I suspect much of the effect would be overcome.

Hopefully this means a complete reboot and rethinking of the entire franchise. They can dump just about all the actors, cut ties with any remaining shitty writers and directors, and with Gunn in charge, maybe just maybe stop the halfwitted suits from meddling in every production and Final Cut. Although I doubt a studio with the track record of WB/DC Can genuinely avoid the temptation to shoot itself in the foot somehow.

The entire DC slate is about as good as Marvel’s Phase 5, which is widely derided as being absolutely appalling, and largely nonsensical. Just like Marvel should’ve taken a one to two year gap after then end of Phase 4, to give audiences a chance to breathe and build some anticipation towards a new era - instead of just churning out endless, shitty content which has eroded a lot of goodwill they built - DC should take some time to pause and create a sense of separation with what has come before. They need to not only produce something completely new - as in their entire universe - but they need audiences to understand that it’s a completely fresh start from all the shit that has come before.

The Flash is the perfect example of this. A film that most people I know are happy to see when it comes to Max, rather than paying to go to see at the cinema. Those who have seen it at theatres are either die hard fans, or looking for something to do with their kids. Outside of those groups, I have rarely seen a big comic book tent pole generate less interest and excitement.
Well said, mate.

Andy_Cole

Recently watched Spider-Man 1 and 2 with Tony Maguire and they’re both great movies. Feels gritty. Would love for superhero movies to get ‘smaller’. Solo villains, smaller stakes. Logan did this too. Marble need to go backwards and remove the interconnected universe.

Sylar

Recently watched Spider-Man 1 and 2 with Tony Maguire and they’re both great movies. Feels gritty. Would love for superhero movies to get ‘smaller’. Solo villains, smaller stakes. Logan did this too. Marble need to go backwards and remove the interconnected universe.
Think this is why it worked with guardians with them being off planet.

Also marble made me chuckle.

I think smaller stakes stuff works, whereas the big big villains does make you think why isn't X, y or z here helping? They could get around it by making the movies parallel (eg they are happening in two corners of the world at the same time hence one set are here and the other set there)...