Film The Flash

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Recently watched Spider-Man 1 and 2 with Tony Maguire and they’re both great movies. Feels gritty. Would love for superhero movies to get ‘smaller’. Solo villains, smaller stakes. Logan did this too. Marble need to go backwards and remove the interconnected universe.
Absolutely nothing gritty about raimis spidermen films I'm sorry.

jasT1981

I posted this in the movie review thread, but yeah. It was damn awful.

The Flash 3/10

Absolutely terrible, Ezri Miller had 0 resemblance to Barry Allen and came across as very creepy.
Took one of the best comic stories in the last 15 years, gutted it until nothing was recognisable.
Left out Reverse Flash, the person who played a key role in Flashpoint and Barry's mums death and replaced him with a random house burglar.
Cameos were good.

Dreadful movie. Flash is my favourite DC Character (Though I prefer Wally over Barry) alongside Green Arrow and Nightwing, I've read every Flash comic made in the last 15 years, watched 9 years of the TV Series, I recognised very little in this trash.

I was kinda hoping that Barry would have gotten 'lost' in the Speed Force, and at the end a Red-headed speedster appeared introducing himself as 'Wally West'

Andy_Cole

The Flash 3/10

Absolutely terrible, Ezri Miller had 0 resemblance to Barry Allen and came across as very creepy.
Took one of the best comic stories in the last 15 years, gutted it until nothing was recognisable.
Left out Reverse Flash, the person who played a key role in Flashpoint and Barry's mums death and replaced him with a random house burglar.
Cameos were good.

Dreadful movie. Flash is my favourite DC Character (Though I prefer Wally over Barry) alongside Green Arrow and Nightwing, I've read every Flash comic made in the last 15 years, watched 9 years of the TV Series, I recognised very little in this trash.

I was kinda hoping that Barry would have gotten 'lost' in the Speed Force, and at the end a Red-headed speedster appeared introducing himself as 'Wally West'
Sorry to hear considering you're such a big fan. Like most DC films I hear this is yet another one to have been butchered.

Hamnat

I hope the film flopping doesn't mean they abandon efforts of Flash in the future for a decade or more. They need to just get it together and restart with Wally and actually use his rogues. DC has no excuse with decades of history and stories to pull from to keep having this many dismal failures.

Oldyella

Absolutely nothing gritty about raimis spidermen films I'm sorry.
Perhaps gritty is the wrong word, but the final goblin fight in 1st movie is pretty brutal, he kicks the shit out of Peter, and you hear it all with no background music

Sylar

I hope the film flopping doesn't mean they abandon efforts of Flash in the future for a decade or more. They need to just get it together and restart with Wally and actually use his rogues. DC has no excuse with decades of history and stories to pull from to keep having this many dismal failures.
And they can borrow some of the really good stuff from the arrowverse too, the material is all there.

I just hope they cast better than they have. The one thing MCU did was great initial casting with strong actors who had amazing screen presence and charisma

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
July 18th it hits digital platforms which is pretty fast even for the flash. So I guess it's a massive flop and WB is trying to squeeze as much profit out of it as it can. Oh well.

Sylar

Defo a flop. It's main star being kept away from the spotlight for promoting and marketing it has an affect. And with said star being a weirdo to say the least.

And of course dceu doesn't exactly have goodwill.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Barry forever, just get someone that even 1% resembles him and can act with the emotion that's part of his story.

Precaution

Ezra Miller has zero charisma to lead a movie, emotion of a toy box and whilst he was okay in parts of the movie he wasn't believable, the way he acts is just meh, sucks he happens to be in two big franchises that he stunk the place out on and yet WB still count on him

Devil You Know

The Flash 3/10

Cameos were good.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Really meh film, the story is barely memorable but most of all... it's such an ugly film. I can easily get past CGI not looking amazing, it wouldn't stop me from enjoying a film most of the time, but this was just plain ugly. Ugly cinematography, ugly lighting, looks almost amateurish.

Keaton was great in it, but that was about its only redeeming feature.

The quip about mental health towards the beginning of the film was very much in bad taste.

Sylar

I saw the Ww cameo again online and don't remember it being as bad as it was. Maybe cos it was an isolated scene and seeing how bad batman looked and how zoned out WW looked too

Sylar

John Wesley Shipp is the best Flash.

Ezra Miller is a creep pretending to be the Flash.
Also a really good jay Garrick

Speaking of flash, annoyed that they didn't get grant Gustin involved considering he named this flash... Flash

Andy_Cole

I saw the Ww cameo again online and don't remember it being as bad as it was. Maybe cos it was an isolated scene and seeing how bad batman looked and how zoned out WW looked too
Yeh didn’t think anything of it. I actually thought the best scenes were the starting justice league sequence and the middle breaking Supes out of Russia scene.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
So I watched this properly. The first time I saw it I was on my phone travelling and getting distracted etc, so I sat down and watched this on a big screen to give it a proper go, and I have to say that this is arguably the worst film I have seen in a long, long time. Definitely the worst film I’ve seen this year. Truly fecking terrible.

The SFX were ropey as feck, the dialogue just terrible (“Come on Barbie, let’s go party”, wtf?), and the acting was simply appalling. Even if Miller was the most likeable person in the world, his performance was horrendous, and we had to deal with two of him not just one. But the fact he’s a world class creep just made it all the worse. Skin crawling stuff seeing him on screen, and be so heinously shit.

There are about a million plot holes and devices I can’t even be bothered to get into, but suffice to say that the script was terrible. It made little to no sense and was told in such an uncompelling way, that you just wanted this horror show to end. I am genuinely surprised they didn’t just shelve this project and take the tax write down. With the money they’d have saved from the huge marketing campaign, the losses would’ve been around the same anyway; and they wouldn’t have incurred the huge reputational damage that comes with releasing yet another steaming pile of turd into the DCEU.

No idea how they recover from this. It’s all switched to Gunn now, but aside from their stand alone R rated movies, like Joker and The Suicide Squad, I wil personally never take the risk paying for another DC movie - cinema or streaming rental - again. I’ll firmly wait the 6 plus months until it becomes free to view on MAX. This is especially true when looking at their upcoming slate, which looks shocking to someone like me who likes a good comic book movie but doesn’t have a deep grounding in reading the comics as a kid/adolescent. And I would think, in terms of engagement, my level of pre-existing knowledge of the DC universe is representative of the majority of viewers.

As far as I could see, the next movie is about Blue Beetle? Yeah, no. A shit studio, churning out shit films, in a now defunct universe, offering up a marginal character that the vast majority of people, except comic book fans, have never heard of. Sounds like a shit Ant Man. Or a serious version of The Tick. If they had tons of credit with the fans, and people knew they were likely to get something great because of who was making it, then they’d do well. But everyone knows that most DCEU movies are fecking crap, and now we have one about a marginal character. Yeah, no fecking idea how they are going to persuade anyone to watch that. Because even when they do an okay movie with a new character (Shazam wasn’t great but it had charm and was a decent origin movie - especially by DC standards), they follow it up with something so bad as to be almost offensive (Shazam 2), and put another nail in their extended universe coffin.

I’m honestly still in shock that DC put this film out knowing how fecking crap it was and the toxicity of their lead star. One or the other, okay, but both? That’s universe building Suicide. I am so, so done with them. They could be hiring Denis fecking Villneuve for all I care, because a studio that has their track record of utter shite and then tried to right the ship with successive turds of the scale of Black Adam, Shazam 2, and this abomination…..well, all I can say is no. No to anything they put out at this point, unless it’s a standalone R rated, disconnected film (which is almost like a different brand/studio at this point). What the feck were they thinking? Something is seriously wrong over there, and hiring a one trick pony in Gunn to head up the entire DC studio isn’t going to suddenly transform this into where it deserves to be.

It’s hard to contemplate how badly DC have shit the bed on this whole thing. I think they’ve missed the huge comic book wave, as audience fatigue sets in, and they’ve made so many bad decisions along the way that it just beggars belief.

0/10

Last edited:

Woodzy

Just watched this, absolute bollocks. Shit visually, rushed and messy plot with no actual villain. This film was designed to for fan service and cameos alone and that’s about all it has going for it.

Sylar

Just watched this, absolute bollocks. Shit visually, rushed and messy plot with no actual villain. This film was designed to for fan service and cameos alone and that’s about all it has going for it.
I don't even think they did the cameos right.
They didn't have grant Gustin which some fans wanted
The nic cage thing looked so bad.
Keaton was part of the trailer
The ending batman whilst was a wtf moment it doesn't actually make sense unless there's a follow up (which it probably won't have)

Andersons Dietician

Only semi decent thing about it was super woman. Would have been intrigued to see more of that version of her but as for the rest of it just drivel. It starts from the slow Mo running and then ends with the mediocre cgi.

DC are just failing miserably with these films, which is a shame because arguably I would say they have the best catalogue of characters compared to say Marvel but they failed with story choices, castings and just the general structure of the universe they wanted to create.

Honestly think I could create a better DC universe film franchise in an afternoon than whoever is calling the shots over there.

Andy_Cole

So I watched this properly. The first time I saw it I was on my phone travelling and getting distracted etc, so I sat down and watched this on a big screen to give it a proper go, and I have to say that this is arguably the worst film I have seen in a long, long time. Definitely the worst film I’ve seen this year. Truly fecking terrible.

The SFX were ropey as feck, the dialogue just terrible (“Come on Barbie, let’s go party”, wtf?), and the acting was simply appalling. Even if Miller was the most likeable person in the world, his performance was horrendous, and we had to deal with two of him not just one. But the fact he’s a world class creep just made it all the worse. Skin crawling stuff seeing him on screen, and be so heinously shit.

There are about a million plot holes and devices I can’t even be bothered to get into, but suffice to say that the script was terrible. It made little to no sense and was told in such an uncompelling way, that you just wanted this horror show to end. I am genuinely surprised they didn’t just shelve this project and take the tax write down. With the money they’d have saved from the huge marketing campaign, the losses would’ve been around the same anyway; and they wouldn’t have incurred the huge reputational damage that comes with releasing yet another steaming pile of turd into the DCEU.

No idea how they recover from this. It’s all switched to Gunn now, but aside from their stand alone R rated movies, like Joker and The Suicide Squad, I wil personally never take the risk paying for another DC movie - cinema or streaming rental - again. I’ll firmly wait the 6 plus months until it becomes free to view on MAX. This is especially true when looking at their upcoming slate, which looks shocking to someone like me who likes a good comic book movie but doesn’t have a deep grounding in reading the comics as a kid/adolescent. And I would think, in terms of engagement, my level of pre-existing knowledge of the DC universe is representative of the majority of viewers.

As far as I could see, the next movie is about Blue Beetle? Yeah, no. A shit studio, churning out shit films, in a now defunct universe, offering up a marginal character that the vast majority of people, except comic book fans, have never heard of. Sounds like a shit Ant Man. Or a serious version of The Tick. If they had tons of credit with the fans, and people knew they were likely to get something great because of who was making it, then they’d do well. But everyone knows that most DCEU movies are fecking crap, and now we have one about a marginal character. Yeah, no fecking idea how they are going to persuade anyone to watch that. Because even when they do an okay movie with a new character (Shazam wasn’t great but it had charm and was a decent origin movie - especially by DC standards), they follow it up with something so bad as to be almost offensive (Shazam 2), and put another nail in their extended universe coffin.

I’m honestly still in shock that DC put this film out knowing how fecking crap it was and the toxicity of their lead star. One or the other, okay, but both? That’s universe building Suicide. I am so, so done with them. They could be hiring Denis fecking Villneuve for all I care, because a studio that has their track record of utter shite and then tried to right the ship with successive turds of the scale of Black Adam, Shazam 2, and this abomination…..well, all I can say is no. No to anything they put out at this point, unless it’s a standalone R rated, disconnected film (which is almost like a different brand/studio at this point). What the feck were they thinking? Something is seriously wrong over there, and hiring a one trick pony in Gunn to head up the entire DC studio isn’t going to suddenly transform this into where it deserves to be.

It’s hard to contemplate how badly DC have shit the bed on this whole thing. I think they’ve missed the huge comic book wave, as audience fatigue sets in, and they’ve made so many bad decisions along the way that it just beggars belief.

0/10
So bad you watched it twice! Only on the caf :lol:

whitbyviking

One of the reasons for these constant failures is that DC are just extremely bad at their casting decisions, or at least who they stand by; Miller was always going to be a distraction, Heard will be a distraction for Aquaman 2 and then there is all the stuff with the Rock. Filming must be a big nightmare with all the background nonsense and imagine marketing, especially for the likes of Miller and Heard.

Ultimately though their writing is diabolical.

Andy_Cole

One of the reasons for these constant failures is that DC are just extremely bad at their casting decisions, or at least who they stand by; Miller was always going to be a distraction, Heard will be a distraction for Aquaman 2 and then there is all the stuff with the Rock. Filming must be a big nightmare with all the background nonsense and imagine marketing, especially for the likes of Miller and Heard.

What’s happened with the rock?

Sylar

Casting I agree with it. Thing is with Ezra, I didn't see a strong flash casting even before all the issues in personal life.
However making the flash a horny man teenager was a weird choice. Don't remember anybody laughing at that line in the cinema

Some things obviously out of control if things happen after the casting and shooting (or even release of a movie as marvel have seen for phase four)

That along with studio interference, not having a plan in place to begin with, doing a team up movie before the solo movies, then also doing unrelated solo movies was certainly a choice.

I actually enjoyed flash but in terms of a cinematic reboot it felt very strange and a missed opportunity. Honestly think they could have used what was there and had a chance (even if they had to delay it again), to finish the movie with a new flash actor (excuse for looking different)

whitbyviking

What’s happened with the rock?
There are multiple rumours about him influencing casting so he’s not overshadowed, this was during Shazam 2 and Black Adam. Apparently he was angling for the Superman role and may have had some impact on the Henry Cavill situation and then there was some dodgy stuff going on with regards to the financial takes for Black Adam at least. Just seems a lot of smoke around him and if true it’s affected multiple franchises and DC is general.

evil_geko

Good fun film, so many people today can't have fun with movies and only want to critic every single thing, this is fun fan service film with some great moments. 7/10 for me, got exactly what I expected!

Tyrion

I can see why she'd stop caring. She's basically dragged into every DC flop for a 10 second cameo because that's what they think Marvel did to make so much money. They failed with their Justice League so instead of team up movies, they just have her theme music and a cameo to link it altogether.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Was meant to go and see Oppenheimer last night but plans changed. I ended up watching this instead.

I thought it was poor after only a few minutes and I think I only bothered watching the whole thing out of a strange curiosity as to how much worse it could get by the end.

Way too much going on and because of that, none of it had any real substance. Like a lot of films now, they’re so shallow because they try and cram in too much.

Ezra Miller, didn’t like, just didn’t work for me, certainly the annoying younger self.

I really didn’t like the 3 different batmans / Bruce Wayne’s, that just didn’t work for me. However, it has to be said it was great seeing Michael Keaton back in the suit but such a shame that he was surrounded by utter madness. Clooney at the end was just dreadful, little a rotten cherry on a 4 week old trifle.

Honestly? I’d rather they made a Michael Keaton reboot Logan style than this turd.

The whole thing felt very lazy piggy backing on the Zod invasion and way too many of these hero films are leaning on the time travel / multiverse thing now. Boring and predictable.

Days of Superhero films like Spider-Man 2 (Sam Raimi), Chris Nolan / Tim Burtons Batman / Batman Returns and even the Chris Reeves superman / Superman 2 seem a distant memory. It feels like depth and character study have made way for sherbet and sprinkles, and fecking lots of them. Everything feel so superficial.

2/10 for Michael Keaton alone.

Andy_Cole

Was meant to go and see Oppenheimer last night but plans changed. I ended up watching this instead.

I thought it was poor after only a few minutes and I think I only bothered watching the whole thing out of a strange curiosity as to how much worse it could get by the end.

Way too much going on and because of that, none of it had any real substance. Like a lot of films now, they’re so shallow because they try and cram in too much.

Ezra Miller, didn’t like, just didn’t work for me, certainly the annoying younger self.

I really didn’t like the 3 different batmans / Bruce Wayne’s, that just didn’t work for me. However, it has to be said it was great seeing Michael Keaton back in the suit but such a shame that he was surrounded by utter madness. Clooney at the end was just dreadful, little a rotten cherry on a 4 week old trifle.

Honestly? I’d rather they made a Michael Keaton reboot Logan style than this turd.

The whole thing felt very lazy piggy backing on the Zod invasion and way too many of these hero films are leaning on the time travel / multiverse thing now. Boring and predictable.

Days of Superhero films like Spider-Man 2 (Sam Raimi), Chris Nolan / Tim Burtons Batman / Batman Returns and even the Chris Reeves superman / Superman 2 seem a distant memory. It feels like depth and character study have made way for sherbet and sprinkles, and fecking lots of them. Everything feel so superficial.

2/10 for Michael Keaton alone.
I think I’m a sucker for nostalgia. I know it wasn’t the best movie but Keaton really made it enjoyable. Any scenes he was in were fantastic. I’d rate scenes with him an 8/10 and the rest a 4/10. So maybe a 6/10 movie.

Andy_Cole

Good fun film, so many people today can't have fun with movies and only want to critic every single thing, this is fun fan service film with some great moments. 7/10 for me, got exactly what I expected!
Yes this was my take on it. I enjoyed it. Especially Keaton.

Andy_Cole

There are multiple rumours about him influencing casting so he’s not overshadowed, this was during Shazam 2 and Black Adam. Apparently he was angling for the Superman role and may have had some impact on the Henry Cavill situation and then there was some dodgy stuff going on with regards to the financial takes for Black Adam at least. Just seems a lot of smoke around him and if true it’s affected multiple franchises and DC is general.
Hmm he does have a lot of power now. He’s going to be earning the highest pay check ever. $50m for some new Amazon movie Red One.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I think I’m a sucker for nostalgia. I know it wasn’t the best movie but Keaton really made it enjoyable. Any scenes he was in were fantastic. I’d rate scenes with him an 8/10 and the rest a 4/10. So maybe a 6/10 movie.
I agree, whatever the score out of 10. Whenever he was on screen it just amplified how bad the rest of it was.

Lastwolf

There was two scenes I liked, the roommates bit for comedy and the rescuing of supergirl.

The rest of the movie looked cheap and was dumb, cg can look real, this was like the last ten mintues of black panther for 2 hours.

Why is everyone made out of rubber. WHY ARE THEY CG'ing his face in plain dialogue scenes, it looks biazrre.

I feel like keep repeating the same mistake. Spectacle only works when you care.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Think this is why it worked with guardians with them being off planet.

Also marble made me chuckle.

I think smaller stakes stuff works, whereas the big big villains does make you think why isn't X, y or z here helping? They could get around it by making the movies parallel (eg they are happening in two corners of the world at the same time hence one set are here and the other set there)...
Absolutely the bolded :lol:

Like, why aren't they here helping? Because they're off fighting elsewhere. Really, all of them? Even though most of them can almost instantly travel through time/or be on different planets etc. within the click of ones finger?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
That exact scene....couldn't believe how terrible Batman looked. Wow.

Anyway, made it 30 minutes into the movie and switched it off. Will probably watch/finish this in like 2-3 sittings, which says it all for a supposed "summer blockbuster".

Drifter

American
Really enjoyed it. CGI was ropey but thought Ezra Miller did a good job as well, has Micheal Keaton. For the short time she was onscreen, Sasha Calle's super girl looked the part, hopefully she will return. Overall much better than expected.

Andy_Cole

Think this is why it worked with guardians with them being off planet.

Also marble made me chuckle.

I think smaller stakes stuff works, whereas the big big villains does make you think why isn't X, y or z here helping? They could get around it by making the movies parallel (eg they are happening in two corners of the world at the same time hence one set are here and the other set there)...
Marble haha. Reminds me of Homer Simpson ‘save me Jebus’