The Former United Youth/Reserves Thread

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
”Our” Reece James has signed for Sheffield Wednesday permanently after last season’s loan.

Gungerz

Aidan Higgins has signed a scholarship with Swansea after his release.

top1whoisman

Scout
Levitt is about to move to Hibs from Dundee United.

Edit: Confirmed.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
Dion McGhee, remember him? He was spotted training individually with Brandon Williams and Amad. Been without a club since February 2022.

KevinJoh

Dion McGhee, remember him? He was spotted training individually with Brandon Williams and Amad. Been without a club since February 2022.
that kid was weird. He left to Portugal I think, never played, not sure why as he could find a deal in bottom leagues for sure. Even in Conference it is better than not playing at all for more than a year.

top1whoisman

Scout
that kid was weird. He left to Portugal I think, never played, not sure why as he could find a deal in bottom leagues for sure. Even in Conference it is better than not playing at all for more than a year.
Not sure how driven he is, whether he has it in him to save his career. Perhaps he fancies playing abroad and doesn't want to play in the lower leagues. Decent little player but maybe he lacks the attitude?

top1whoisman

Scout
Wonder what's going on with Charlie McCann at Forest Green. He was supposed to a decent signing for that level but played a total of 56 minutes after his move from Rangers. Apparently not due to injuries. Was on the bench a few times and then watched the rest of the season from the stands. Could be down to Big Dunc as the transfer was done and dusted before FGR announced Ferguson's arrival. So perhaps he wasn't fancied by the coaching staff for whatever reason. Hopefully he gets an opportunity to shine under the new management as he's a decent player, in my opinion.

Gungerz

Adam Abbas has signed a scholarship with Burnley after his release. Think there are a couple more former United lads in this Burnley group but waiting on them to publish the full list.

top1whoisman

Scout
Ben Pearson has signed for Stoke permanently having spent the second half of last season there on loan.

top1whoisman

Scout
Napoli have extended Pierluigi Gollini's loan deal until June 2024 with an option to make the signing permanent.

Mickson

Zeki Fryers is playing for AFC Eskilstuna, in the Swedish second division where they are in a relegation battle. How the mighty have fallen...

top1whoisman

Scout
Well done on getting a move to a Championship side. Hope he stays healthy and gets a lot of games there.

top1whoisman

Scout
Just spotted Mark Helm playing for Burton Albion against Leicester. They signed him from Burnley in January. Seems to be their starting AM. Not bad, League One is still a decent league.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well done on getting a move to a Championship side. Hope he stays healthy and gets a lot of games there.

Good lad, I like him and hope he makes a good career for himself.

Gungerz

Nehemiah Oriola scored on his U18 PL debut for Brighton, although is listed as a trialist so maybe hasn't got the move just yet.

NotQuiteManc

Any experts that have watched Angel Gomes for the past season or more, do you guys think he is ready for the step up to play for United?

I've watched a Youtube highlights of him, and he seems stronger and tackle fairly well for a small lad in addition to his passing abilities. Then again, Youtube highlights, amirite?

KevinJoh

Any experts that have watched Angel Gomes for the past season or more, do you guys think he is ready for the step up to play for United?

I've watched a Youtube highlights of him, and he seems stronger and tackle fairly well for a small lad in addition to his passing abilities. Then again, Youtube highlights, amirite?
I doubt he is ready for United, but his career is going in the right direction.

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Good lad, I like him and hope he makes a good career for himself.
Di'Shon was an unused substitute in our two league games but made his debut midweek in the EFL Cup against Stockport, along with the goalkeeper and two other defenders though so a bit hard to tell what he's going to be like.

But out of all of them Di'Shon looked the most promising, Ferdinandesque in fact, read the game well, comfortable on the ball, good in possession and played with his head up. You can tell that he, like all ex-United youth players, has had a good football education.

Looks a good signing and really looking forward to seeing how he fits into the new manager's plans, particularly how he manages when he comes up against a quick forward with a bit of nous.

We've also signed another couple of ex-United youth players, Reece James who we had on loan last season and looked really good as a wing-back as part of a back five, but since he signed we've changed manager and gone to a back four so I'm not sure if he's going to have much of a role, as the manager seems to prefer a more physical left-back, and also Ashley Fletcher up front who the manager had for a while at Watford.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Di'Shon was an unused substitute in our two league games but made his debut midweek in the EFL Cup against Stockport, along with the goalkeeper and two other defenders though so a bit hard to tell what he's going to be like.

But out of all of them Di'Shon looked the most promising, Ferdinandesque in fact, read the game well, comfortable on the ball, good in possession and played with his head up. You can tell that he, like all ex-United youth players, has had a good football education.

Looks a good signing and really looking forward to seeing how he fits into the new manager's plans, particularly how he manages when he comes up against a quick forward with a bit of nous.

We've also signed another couple of ex-United youth players, Reece James who we had on loan last season and looked really good as a wing-back as part of a back five, but since he signed we've changed manager and gone to a back four so I'm not sure if he's going to have much of a role, as the manager seems to prefer a more physical left-back, and also Ashley Fletcher up front who the manager had for a while at Watford.
Thanks for the update! I liked Reece James too, if he were a bit quicker I think he might have had a really good career in the Prem. DiShon shouldn't have that problem though, more going to be the mental and technical side of his game he'll have to work on. What I liked about him is that he really seemed to make the most of his opportunities at whatever level he was given them. A bit like Tom Cleverley did as a youngster before he became gun shy. Shows a good attitude I think.

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Thanks for the update! I liked Reece James too, if he were a bit quicker I think he might have had a really good career in the Prem. DiShon shouldn't have that problem though, more going to be the mental and technical side of his game he'll have to work on. What I liked about him is that he really seemed to make the most of his opportunities at whatever level he was given them. A bit like Tom Cleverley did as a youngster before he became gun shy. Shows a good attitude I think.
Di'Shon spoke really well when he was interviewed after signing, obviously he realises how massive we are, but he also talked a lot about how he was looking to improve and learn and what he wanted to bring to the team. It's available on YouTube if you're interested but he seems a really nice level headed young lad.

Reece James was one of my favourite players last season, again you could tell that he'd been brought up well and if you haven't seen it check out the video of our playoff semi final against Peterborough, he scored one and was involved in a couple of other, and his reaction after scoring was great.

Happy to post further updates through the season if anyone's interested.

Varun1

Di'Shon spoke really well when he was interviewed after signing, obviously he realises how massive we are, but he also talked a lot about how he was looking to improve and learn and what he wanted to bring to the team. It's available on YouTube if you're interested but he seems a really nice level headed young lad.

Reece James was one of my favourite players last season, again you could tell that he'd been brought up well and if you haven't seen it check out the video of our playoff semi final against Peterborough, he scored one and was involved in a couple of other, and his reaction after scoring was great.

Happy to post further updates through the season if anyone's interested.
Defo interested mate, if you have the time. It's always nice to get feedback on former youth players, so yh thank you for what you've provided so far.