The Fourth RedCafe Sheep Draft

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The extended essay you mean?
:lol:

Up to you to decide if you want to put the extended essay in the general thread and keep the core in the gamethread.

I can participate in the discussions until tomorrow 6am so I hope we could start soon :)

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
:lol:

Up to you to decide if you want to put the extended essay in the general thread and keep the core in the gamethread.

I can participate in the discussions until tomorrow 6am so I hope we could start soon :)
Ah, OK. I thought it was unfair as it comparatively looks like you didn't bother.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Ah, OK. I thought it was unfair as it comparatively looks like you didn't bother.
My opinion:

Option A: you present two long write-up. Mine is here (of course ignore the youtube links)
Option B: you shorten his write-up and include a link here for the long version

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Sunday would be best for me from those days mate but happy to play on Monday instead if you prefer and I'll get on when I can.
Monday is only marginally better than Sunday so may as well do Sunday.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Still like Joga's set up slightly better (apart from the keeper, obviously), but this is also nice. Baresi/Figueroa pairing gives him more quality with the ball, and it can be argued that Schweiny/Neeskens (and Matthäus somewhere near) are marginally better than Hierro/Tardelli with the ball too (same with fullbacks).
Yeh, that midfield trio is one of a kind, and would give a better grip of the game. But in terms of defence, I think Pat's shade it a bit better. Also a good goalkeeper is essentially as important as having a good CB, as we all know as United fans.

I quite like the look of that too :). I'll likely be swapping Desailly and Hierro though, and it'll kill me if I decide not to play Scholes.
You'd be against Ronaldo. Somehow there's a stigma of Hierro is as slow as snail, so you'd need a hard sell on that. Also I think Hierro in midfield would give you a better passer, and better goal threat (judging by Hierro goalscoring record).

Why not go with
---Scholes--
Hierro -- Tardelli

or

Tardelli ---- Scholes
------Hierro ---

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeh, that midfield trio is one of a kind, and would give a better grip of the game. But in terms of defence, I think Pat's shade it a bit better. Also a good goalkeeper is essentially as important as having a good CB, as we all know as United fans.

You'd be against Ronaldo. Somehow there's a stigma of Hierro is as slow as snail, so you'd need a hard sell on that. Also I think Hierro in midfield would give you a better passer, and better goal threat (judging by Hierro goalscoring record).
Yeah if he goes with Tardelli in midfield Hierro is the better choice. If he goes with Scholes IMO Desailly is the better one. Pat will most likely have a man mark job on Ronaldo and few are better at that than Kohler. Desailly vs Ronaldo can spark some debate as well since they faced off each other couple of times and Desailly himself said Ronaldo is the worst opponent he ever faced.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah if he goes with Tardelli in midfield Hierro is the better choice. If he goes with Scholes IMO Desailly is the better one. Pat will most likely have a man mark job on Ronaldo and few are better at that than Kohler. Desailly vs Ronaldo can spark some debate as well since they faced off each other couple of times and Desailly himself said Ronaldo is the worst opponent he ever faced.
Agreed with Desailly and Scholes. And Desailly seems like having a good record with Ronaldo as well, though. Anyway, onenil has Henry, Messi, and Ronaldo in attack. So it will be up to Pat if he wants to spend more time explaining about Hierro in defence :D

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Leaving this here now

Obdulio Varela, The Black Chief

“Although Uruguay’s victory before the largest crowd ever assembled for a football match was certainly a miracle, it was the work of a flesh and blood mortal named Obdulio Varela. Obdulio cooled the match down when the steamroller came at us, and then he carried the entire team on his courage. By sheer courage he fought against all the odds”
- Galeano

Anto has a great profile:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/all...han-vs-joga-annah.409195/page-3#post-18107086

Didi, Ethiopian Prince

In Brazil, the ball is a she. And many throughout history have described it as such. From Galeano’s book is this quote from Didi in interview, “If you don’t treat her with affection she won’t obey. When she’d come, I’d take charge and she’d obey. Sometimes she’d go one way and I’d say “Come here, child” and I’d bring her along...I had tremendous affection for her, because she’s fire. If you treat her badly, she’ll break your leg. That’s why I say “Boys come on, have some respect. This is a girl that has to be treated with a lot of love”.

Nilton Santos, The Encyclopedia of Football

Given his nickname for his tremendous knowledge of football Nilton Santos was one of the pioneers of the modern full back crucial in both defense and offense. Known for his technique, superb timing and excellent positional play. In 1958 Just Fontaine had 13 goals in 6 matches and was electrifying. Except against Nilton Santos. Againt France in 1958, Nilton Santos won just about every ball from Fontaine. He also shows superb technique in that match which was a fun watch.

Hector Chumpitaz, Captain America

Famous for captaining the Americas side against Cruyff’s Europe in 1973 Chumpitaz was one of the greatest South American defenders of all time. Well rounded but he was famous for his excellent reading of the game and positional sense. He led his Peruvian club to multiple Copa Libertadores semi-finals in an era with much stronger teams from Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil. His famous achievement is helping Peru win the 1975 Copa America. He also had 74 goals some from free kicks, some from set plays, some penalties, so he could contribute in all phases.

Jose Santamaría, The Wall

One of the greatest central defenders, Santamaría was a complete center defender who played until the age of 39 where he was still contributing at the highest level. 9 seasons anchoring Real’s defense and helping win 4 European Cups. From the website, here is Jose describing learning to play as a child, “I remember the conditions we had to play football in those years, so different from today. The ball we ran behind was made with some used stocking from my mother’s stuffed with newspaper. The fields where we played were dirt, and the goals we scored with stones. At that time I broke a lot of shoes, with consequent indignation of my parents. However, as demonstrated my football career later turned out to be a good school to learn the basics to practice this sport.”

V.R. Andrade, Black Pearl

Quote from @antohan‘s excellent profile on Andrade

Víctor was José Leandro Andrade's nephew. He idolised his uncle so much he insisted on being referred to using both his parents' surnames, otherwise he would have just been one of a million Rodríguez's. He played as a right halfback just like him, although he was stronger in defensive phases while somewhat less adventurous going forward. Not that he didn't do it, but he was far more defensively sound than anyone around so it was usually the case that if one of the two had to play a more conservative game he would be the one doing it...

Four years later, Rodríguez Andrade was one of the main stars in the side (which had by now got itself a leftback). I've never come across anyone who could unequivocally say one tourno was better than the other, lots of ifs and buts and largely "he was just amazing in both". One fact that adds to this is how the semifinal unravelled. Puskas watched it from the stands and concluded Rodríguez Andrade was the best he had ever seen in his position. Czibor had scored, yes, but he had done the best job on him he had ever seen. Unfortunately, late in the first half of ET Andrade suffers a muscle tear. That was the tipping point, for the remaining 15-20 minutes Czibor had the freedom of that flank and the Czibor-Kocsis highway reactivated. Within a few minutes Hungary doubled their goal tally and put paid to the game.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Sandor Kocsis against England.

Will try to upload his game against Benfica in the European Cup Final later if I get the time.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Sandor Kocsis against England.

Will try to upload his game against Benfica in the European Cup Final later if I get the time.
Please do.. or the semi final v Hamburg which for me is a great illustration of how well rounded a a striker he was.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Well done to Red Tiger and Peyroteo. Like Raees you two had a rough start but managed to recover and built a very solid team.

and Congrats to Joga !

antohan

So what's next up your sleeves @antohan @The Stain ? :)
Nothing ground-breaking. As we said, we just don't want reinforcements to be wide open pools but what happens to be available, which is usually the case during a transfer window. Mourinho and half the caf may want Cristiano back, but it ain't gonna happen, is it?

We also said we wanted to have a snake element at some point, so this one will be snake based.

Semi's - Re's

antohan

REINFORCEMENT ROUND #2: BAD BLOOD

After some fantastic games, players from the losing sides are still feeling a bit sore. If only that ball had gone in, if the ref hadn't been blowing everything for the other side, and the offside! Boy, the offside goal! They will still be bitter and banging on about it two months from now.

As a result, none of the eliminated players will entertain playing for the manager that eliminated them. Their ringleaders, the eliminated GOAT quartet of Pelé, Maradona, Di Stefano and Cruyff want to join someone else and beat the shit out of their conquerors.

AVAILABLE POOL

Bepo (not for Downcast)
- Stoichkov, Maradona, Sinama Pongolle, Lee Cattermole, Puyol, Davids, Henrik Larsen, Passarella, Dida, Tevez, Thiago Motta, Emlyn Hughes, Cabrini, Beckham, Edwards, Ragnar Klavan

Raees (not for Enigma) - Mark Fish, Crouch, Maier, van Basten, May, Bergkamp, Djalma Santos, Deschamps, Schwarzenbeck, Jairzinho, Nedved, Gérson, Nasazzi, Bossis, Di Stefano, Dirk Marcellis

Pat_Mustard (not for onenil) - Alberto Spencer, Jonas Olsson, Kempes, Matthews, Tardelli, Desailly, Pagliuca, Barnes, Burgnich, Pavoni, Scholes, Hierro, Schmeichel, Cruyff, P. Maldini, Kohler

RedTiger/Peyroteo (not for Joga) - John Charles, Abreu, Konchesky, Gullit, Cristian Rodríguez, Keane, Casillas, Koeman, Vieira, José Augusto, Pelé, Costacurta, Bergomi, Giggs, C. Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos

Mechanics: Snake, we've had elements from all formats bar snake, so here it comes! The order is set by ranking according to inverse VD (vote difference), with VF (votes for) as tie-breaker. It is not meant to rebalance, just that those surviving tighter high-scoring games get first dibs for the effort that it takes to play through that and survive it, while those having an easier tie/dead rubber aren't as handsomely rewarded. Not that it matters with the quality of this pool. 2 picks each. 8 hours max as usual.

Translation (snake order):

1. @Joga Bonito won by 1 vote
2. @Enigma_87 won by 4 votes in a higher vote game
3. @Downcast won by 4 votes in a lower turnout game
4. @oneniltothearsenal won by 15 votes

SF Teams

Joga Bonito
- Matthäus, Bogdan Vătăjelu, Schweinsteiger, Darmian, Neeskens, Carlos Alberto, Rep, Brehme, Rudolph Hiden, Francescoli, Montero, Schnellinger, Kocsis, Baggio, Baresi, Figueroa

Enigma - Xavi, Tigana, Arturo Vidal, Eusébio, Krol, Vasovic, Rensenbrink, Fillol, Best, Malbernat, Reuter, Titus Bramble, Godín, Ronaldinho, Andriy Voronin, Sir Bobby Charlton

Downcast - Eto'o, Verratti, Scirea, Gary Breen, Clemence, Moore, Robson, J. A. Camacho, Platini, Olguín, Ribéry, Hamrin, Winston Bogarde, Garrincha, Rijkaard, Dani Alves

onenil - Chumpitaz, Sócrates, Claudio Bravo, Rivaldo, Santamaría, Obdulio Varela, Didi, Zambrotta, Henry, Rojo, Camoranesi, Nílton Santos, V. R. Andrade, Ronaldo, Messi, Neuer

@Joga Bonito you are on the clock

Enigma_87

You know who
Nothing ground-breaking. As we said, we just don't want reinforcements to be wide open pools but what happens to be available, which is usually the case during a transfer window. Mourinho and half the caf may want Cristiano back, but it ain't gonna happen, is it?

We also said we wanted to have a snake element at some point, so this one will be snake based.
Very interesting. Did you came up with the reinforcement rounds before the draft kicked in or thinking it now? Looks like very balanced round one to me and interesting idea that can be incorporated in other snake drafts as well.

Annahnomoss

Very interesting. Did you came up with the reinforcement rounds before the draft kicked in or thinking it now? Looks like very balanced round one to me and interesting idea that can be incorporated in other snake drafts as well.
Agreed! Well done to the admins.

antohan

Came up with the rough idea before it kicked in, polished the mechanics (e.g. the basis for the snake order) before any games took place.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Balance would have meant the 'worst team' would be the 1st one to pick :wenger:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If onenil gets his hand on Maradona, might as well hand him the trophy. That attack will be unstoppable. And seems like none needs an upgrade of AM as much as him.

Last edited:

antohan

If onenil gets his hand on Maradona, might as well hand him the trophy. That attack will be unstoppable. And seems like none needs an upgrade of AM as much as him.
Yeah, Maradona would be rubbish in a 5-3-2 with Matthaus. They don't get on you know?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
There is a strong possibility of @oneniltothearsenal simply ignoring him because it would mean benching Socrates.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
There is a strong possibility of @oneniltothearsenal simply ignoring him because it would mean benching Socrates.
As good as Socrates is, that would be madness. Would lose his advantage that he has over the rest of the sides.. you can't risk one of them getting Diego on the way back. It is 2 reinforcements right?