The Fourth RedCafe Sheep Draft

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Cruyff/van Basten are really the most obvious picks for Joga IMO. There was a chance Downcast would pick either Pele or van Basten, so going for Cruyff was no brainer for Joga. Won't change his tactics as well just upgrade directly on what he has.
Yes, Van Basten my 2nd choice.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, it's clear that we just have an opposite opinion on the term's meaning. I think hipster will go for the overlooked players with interesting stories (and often obvious flaws) - to show the depth of their knowledge and originality of his mind (often going over the top to do that, ignoring better and more obvious choices)
Correct - but going by that definition the very concept of many of the drafts we do here means...hipsterism, or at least it means being vulnerable to accusations of hipsterism.

So, the real question is who opts for hipster choices in an already hipsterish context.

You could argue that going for blatantly non-hipster choices amounts to hipsterism: A contrived attempt at being original by going for normally non-original targets.

However, in the draft world there's usually an element present which obscures people's true tendencies and preferences: If you play to win, you go after voter friendly targets. And the latter could easily be both typical hipster choices (many of the voters are bound to be hipsters) and the very opposite (many of the voters are bound to be anti-hipsters).

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
A hipster would be someone who will say 'I don't like Maradona and I do prefer Javier Pastore'.

Wow, so people made up a hipster term to refer to contrarian attitudes/going against the grain.

Well, yes, I do. More a case of embracing this as what it is: an opportunity to showcase very talented players who go under the radar, usually just because they are pre-cable and football overload and didn't feature or star in World Cups.

Sue me.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
It's not just locality tho.As anto mentioned Pele would've been better fit and would have no problem fitting in a side with 3-4 10's. Maradona on the other hand...

I don't see Maradona being a good fit for me, Downcast and even Joga (picking Cruyff). I can't fit in Maradona with Sir Bobby and Eusebio, Downcast already has Platini and now Pele, while I'm pretty sure Joga will go for Marco in his last pick.
Yeah I was hoping Pele might slip through to my picks but didn't expect it. And this was a very tough pick for me and I'll probably be debating who is on the bench up until the match but ultimately I felt having the option of Maradona on the bench while denying that option to others was the best strategy - all three of you are certainly capable of producing some genius tactic I didn't anticipate with Maradona so had to play safe haha

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah I was hoping Pele might slip through to my picks but didn't expect it. And this was a very tough pick for me and I'll probably be debating who is on the bench up until the match but ultimately I felt having the option of Maradona on the bench while denying that option to others was the best strategy - all three of you are certainly capable of producing some genius tactic I didn't anticipate with Maradona so had to play safe haha
yeah, good option on the bench none the less :) Still probably Joga can find a use of Maradona and push free roaming Cruyff on top, so denying Maradona as an option was good strategy. Especially since you got blocked on CB's (I thought there you were going to upgrade as well).

I'm still wondering myself shall I go for more straightforward option or a hipster one.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I gathered. I don't get it though. Isn't hipster meant to be trendy? Anything but.
If we ignore that hipsterism itself is originally from the 40's, most recent hipster's trend is to go against mainstream (and most jokes about hipsters are based on the fact that hipsters themselves had became a mainstream)

In draft context hipster isn't that bad though. You can say that you are hipster, Joga is, etc. In a good way though, not in it's negatory meaning

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
yeah, good option on the bench none the less :) Still probably Joga can find a use of Maradona and push free roaming Cruyff on top, so denying Maradona as an option was good strategy. Especially since you got blocked on CB's (I thought there you were going to upgrade as well).

I'm still wondering myself shall I go for more straightforward option or a hipster one.
I thought Passarella but I just didn't think he was as good a fit style, really wanted Elias but Joga stealthy already picked him up ...

and after the last few pages I am not even sure I know what is hipster and isn't anymore :lol:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Correct - but going by that definition the very concept of many of the drafts we do here means...hipsterism, or at least it means being vulnerable to accusations of hipsterism.

So, the real question is who opts for hipster choices in an already hipsterish context.

You could argue that going for blatantly non-hipster choices amounts to hipsterism: A contrived attempt at being original by going for normally non-original targets.

However, in the draft world there's usually an element present which obscures people's true tendencies and preferences: If you play to win, you go after voter friendly targets. And the latter could easily be both typical hipster choices (many of the voters are bound to be hipsters) and the very opposite (many of the voters are bound to be anti-hipsters).
Yep, the good old (well, not that old) hipster paradox.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I'm not an hipster because I'm a sheep.

Cristiano Ronaldo then.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Wow, so people made up a hipster term to refer to contrarian attitudes/going against the grain.

Well, yes, I do. More a case of embracing this as what it is: an opportunity to showcase very talented players who go under the radar, usually just because they are pre-cable and football overload and didn't feature or star in World Cups.

Sue me.
Think of it this way: A hipster, an actual hipster in the modern sense, is a poser more than anything - someone who makes non-obvious choices out of vanity.

A hipster doesn't care deeply about his supposed favourites. He's a twat who seeks to impress people and he usually isn't arsed to do proper research.

People who dedicate hours to studying obscure football players aren't hipsters. They're nerds, at worst. Possibly even people who simply know a great deal about football because they're very interested in the subject.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
SF Teams AFTER REINFORCEMENTS

Joga Bonito - Matthäus, Bogdan Vătăjelu, Schweinsteiger, Darmian, Neeskens, Carlos Alberto, Rep, Brehme, Rudolph Hiden, Francescoli, Montero, Schnellinger, Kocsis, Baggio, Baresi, Figueroa, Cruyff, Maier

Enigma - Xavi, Tigana, Arturo Vidal, Eusébio, Krol, Vasovic, Rensenbrink, Fillol, Best, Malbernat, Reuter, Titus Bramble, Godín, Ronaldinho, Andriy Voronin, Sir Bobby Charlton, Maldini, Bergomi,

Downcast - Eto'o, Verratti, Scirea, Gary Breen, Clemence, Moore, Robson, J. A. Camacho, Platini, Olguín, Ribéry, Hamrin, Winston Bogarde, Garrincha, Rijkaard, Dani Alves, Pele, Cristiano Ronaldo

onenil - Chumpitaz, Sócrates, Claudio Bravo, Rivaldo, Santamaría, Obdulio Varela, Didi, Zambrotta, Henry, Rojo, Camoranesi, Nílton Santos, V. R. Andrade, Ronaldo, Messi, Neuer, Maradona, Djalma Santos

antohan

Good man. Now watch the world gets burned with your attack. A bit shame that none better DM is available, though.
You would have a hard time finding one. More fancy maybe, but not better, let alone with Didí.

antohan

QF1: @Downcast vs @Šjor Bepo

QF2: @Raees vs @Enigma_87

QF3: @Joga Bonito vs @RedTiger / @Peyroteo

QF4: @oneniltothearsenal vs @Pat_Mustard

Set up the matches asap, preferably before next week. A match tonight would be great. Two per day max. 250 words for the write-ups, link to mega's. Spoiler gifs/videos.

-

Copy & Paste Template:

Matchdays

Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:
Sunday:​
Simples QF1 Winner vs QF2 Winner and QF3 Winner vs QF4 Winner.

Was set in stone from the outset.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Enigma_87

Good luck :)

I'd prefer Thursday.

Otherwise, we can do it the week-end. Please let me know what you prefer.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Downcast's attack is probably even better than onenil now.
Thanks but his attack remains unparalleled in terms of options:

Onenil: Maradona/Ronaldo/Rivaldo/Henry/Socrates/Messi

Happy to have Platini at the heart of my attack:

Enigma_87

You know who
@Enigma_87

Good luck :)

I'd prefer Thursday.

Otherwise, we can do it the week-end. Please let me know what you prefer.
Good luck to you too :)

My Bergomi pick was with Cristiano in mind I thought he's a good fit for him :lol:

Is Friday ok with you as I'm bit busy on Thursday? Or even tomorrow?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Good luck to you too :)

My Bergomi pick was with Cristiano in mind I thought he's a good fit for him :lol:

Is Friday ok with you as I'm bit busy on Thursday? Or even tomorrow?
I thought I would play against onenil :lol:: messi against cr7 + platini against Maradona + pelé against ronaldo

Let's go for Friday then!