The future is bright

SAFMUTD

Lets watch this post again in 5 years, see how bright our future is.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Rebuilds can be a tricky thing to pull off, there has to be a nucleus to the team to build around & Ole will have to decide who will make up that nucleus. Only the members of the inner circle will know where the cancer is.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Not a great time to post this thread, 90% of comments I'm seeing everywhere people are acting like their dog just got murdered by OGS and Utd.
OGS needs more time, he's not some fecking messiah that's going to come in and win every game, although he's done well overall since he came in (including before he signed as manager). He has identified areas that need to be fixed and I believe that he will start to move in the right direction.
That’s exactly why it’s a good time in my opinion. We’re in need of an optimistic thread among all the doomsday threads created by a people with an incredible amount of recency bias.
The future is bright? We just got schooled at home by Neil Warnock and relegated Cardiff.
I agree that we do need to bring in some younger hungrier players.
Wouldn't say the futures bright, more like there's a dim ray of light somewhere.
All depends if the board and Ole can find it.
I mean, pulling an example of one single game in a period of terrible form as an argument against long-term views doesn’t make much sense to me. If the league table consisted of only the past 10 games or so I’m sure we’d be around the bottom of the table. And we’re clearly not that bad, evident by 7th as the lowest placement in the league table during my lifetime.
Optimistic or delusional?

I'm gonna say delusional.

"United DNA" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Did you even read the first sentence? No moaning please, you can do that in other threads. Talking about club DNA, is that really worthy of five laughing emojis? Why is it so hilarious? It’s a term I used in trying to describe how the club should go about things considering expectations from the fans as well as board skillset. Meaning that people like Solskær and Phelan are suited to attacking football since that’s where what their previous experience has revolved around.

My back hole is brighter than UTD's future, and it hasn't seen sunlight in a long while.
:lol: ffs

Skills

Snitch
This DNA of the club thing is horse shit and part of the reason we keep going round in circles while other clubs are improving year after year. The club and Ole need to drop this bullshit and actually get a plan together beyond ‘the United way’.
Totally agree. The "club DNA" was basically Fergie, and when he retired that DNA retired with him. Enough with this United way and DNA bullshit.
Don't think they want it to. Basically, Ferguson himself had the best job in the world. He had so much power & influence that he was basically the club himself. Now every manager comes in thinking they deserve the same right, without having to earn it first.

Sad thing is, the fans lap it up.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Totally agree. The "club DNA" was basically Fergie, and when he retired that DNA retired with him. Enough with this United way and DNA bullshit.
The club DNA is surely developing youngsters and playing attacking football, and it goes back beyond Fergie.

The Mad Manc

Disclaimer: Please don’t moan. There should be plenty of other threads to do so.

Solskjær stated that he has had discussions with the board and they all know that they’ve got a massive job ahead of them with rebuilding the squad. It’s clear that the plan is to build towards having a young side with players filled with energy and desire as well as talent, or in other words a typical Manchester United side as we know the club from the SAF era. We’ve had Van Gaal who made a lot of terrible signings and then Mourinho who went against the «DNA» of the club with making short-term signings and players suited to cynical deep-lying football rather than very attacking.

We’ve now got in my opinion a manager that wants to make the ‘right’ signings. He wants to buy young players rather than overpaying for old established luxury players which has been the trend in recent years; Players who lack the desire that you need in order to get back to the top.

We have a young generation of very good players coming through. Greenwood is a great talent and will most likely be in the first team squad next season. He has been on fire for the reserves all season bagging in lots of goals. He’s ready to make the step up. We’ve also got players like Rashford and McTominay who are very talented and have a passion for the club. They care, and are willing to put in the required effort.

Add to that a few very good and established players like Lindelöf, Shaw, De Gea and obviously Pogba as well, though he’s absymal when the rest of the team isn’t performing. Things aren’t looking so bad.

We need to hire a Director of Football to make the job easier for Solskjær and to bring in some much needed consistency in regards to transfers. Then, we will undoubtedly spend quite a bit in the summer. A center back that will together with Lindelöf enable us to play out from the back will have a huge impact. A right back is likely to arrive too, unless the manager decides to put his faith in Dalot. Herrera and Fellaini are gone, so we’re going to buy at least one midfielder. Another attacker or two will arrive too.

My favourite statement from Ole is that he expects the players to be fit and ready when the pre-season starts at July 1st. They’ve got their own individual training programmes to follow during the summer break, and he won’t bring unfit players to the tour. Improving the fitness level during pre-season will be more emphasized too, especially compared to how it was under Mourinho. We’re also starting the season earlier than the rest of the Premier League teams since we have to play EL qualifiers.
The result should be a team that has improved on the previous season, has a manager that demands a lot and wants to play attacking football, a squad filled with young talent and perhaps most importantly a squad that has the fitness level and desire to work harder than the opponents.

No one expects us to compete with City and Liverpool for the title, but I genuinely believe we’ll see a team that we’ll actually start to like, with players worthy of wearing the Man Utd badge. Top 4 should be the target. 3rd or 4th with proper attacking Man United-football whilst seeing a young generation of players coming through coupled with other young signings. It’s going to be a good season.
Thanks mate. I needed that this morning

ToToMarshall

Add to that a few very good and established players like Lindelöf, Shaw, De Gea and obviously Pogba as well, though he’s absymal when the rest of the team isn’t performing. Things aren’t looking so bad.
This is the most depressing thing, this is proper bottom of the barrel scraping.

Lindelöf and Shaw are ‘fine’, but not in the next/first phase of “rebuilding” but in the second phase when I assume/hope we’ll be an established top 3 or 4 side and have ambitions of challenging for league titles again, both will need upgrading, or made squad players at least. They’re the best of a bad bunch, that doesn’t make them good enough.

The other two are undeniably world class, but do either of them actually even want to be here?

SambaBoy

I'm glad that season is finally over. Terrible ending, terrible for 80% of the season really.

We need to be ruthless in the window so I will wait and see. OGS sounds like he will be in the press conferences but his actions suggest otherwise, giving Young, Jones & Smalling new contracts is literally taking the piss out the fans. How can you talking about clearing the deadwood then give a contract to a 33y.o winger who is our starting RB who has been terrible all season, surely he must see it but yet he features every game? Jones and Smalling have been here around 10 years now, and not one has nailed down a proper starting place and have not improved yet we give them long contracts, it's mind boggling. In Smalling's defence, I would keep him for next year as he has shown at times that he can be good enough and he is fit most of the time which is not the case with our other CB's (apart from Lindelof). Ideally I wouldn't want Smalling starting every game for us but there's a lot of players I would get rid of first.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hope Ole proves to be good enough. But talk is cheap. Anybody can claim to want us to run and attack more. Building a football side that can do it is much harder. Fingers crossed I guess. Need to start with the right te transfers.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Not a great time to post this thread, 90% of comments I'm seeing everywhere people are acting like their dog just got murdered by OGS and Utd.
OGS needs more time, he's not some fecking messiah that's going to come in and win every game, although he's done well overall since he came in (including before he signed as manager). He has identified areas that need to be fixed and I believe that he will start to move in the right direction.

This. I am just amazed how many of the worms have crawled out.

No time to implement his systems, fitness work or even his own players -- and all the hysterics are out in force. Moyes had more pieces in place and time than Ole and we are calling for his head already.

If he sits on the bench staring -- Ole lacks passion for the job whilst Jose and LVG jumps up & down they were called narcissist and wanting to draw attention to themselves only.

He plays kids and some say he needs to be sacked and instead suggesting that we need 'experienced' players -- whilst Jose only bought 'experienced' players and the same folks say we need 'academy' kids who care.

Stop being so hysterical folks. Calm down and see what we do in the next couple of transfer windows before calling for his head. We need to see if there is progression after that.

Three proven managers have failed. And yet we keep pointing to the manager including one which is considered as the best if not a Top 3 manager in the world.

Even if we were to get Poch, these same worms will be yelling for his head within 18 months for not having won any silverware -- and calling him a poor choice as he has NEVER won any silverware in his life.

Then we will be back on to Pep and then the next manager. Any shiny new object.

Stop expanding your emotional energy on some scapegoat to the ills of your life. Learn to deal with reality.

Ole is here to stay and he isnt the cause of United's demise. He is United through & through and you cant ever doubt his will to fix it. We have had high-level coaches/managers who have failed. Maybe, just maybe its not the managerial position that the only problem.

If thats the case, maybe he will need all the support he can get and none of these hysterics.

koop

This. I am just amazed how many of the worms have crawled out.

No time to implement his systems, fitness work or even his own players -- and all the hysterics are out in force. Moyes had more pieces in place and time than Ole and we are calling for his head already.

If he sits on the bench staring -- Ole lacks passion for the job whilst Jose and LVG jumps up & down they were called narcissist and wanting to draw attention to themselves only.

He plays kids and some say he needs to be sacked and instead suggesting that we need 'experienced' players -- whilst Jose only bought 'experienced' players and the same folks say we need 'academy' kids who care.

Stop being so hysterical folks. Calm down and see what we do in the next couple of transfer windows before calling for his head. We need to see if there is progression after that.

Three proven managers have failed. And yet we keep pointing to the manager including one which is considered as the best if not a Top 3 manager in the world.

Even if we were to get Poch, these same worms will be yelling for his head within 18 months for not having won any silverware -- and calling him a poor choice as he has NEVER won any silverware in his life.

Then we will be back on to Pep and then the next manager. Any shiny new object.

Stop expanding your emotional energy on some scapegoat to the ills of your life. Learn to deal with reality.

Ole is here to stay and he isnt the cause of United's demise. He is United through & through and you cant ever doubt his will to fix it. We have had high-level coaches/managers who have failed. Maybe, just maybe its not the managerial position that the only problem.

If thats the case, maybe he will need all the support he can get and none of these hysterics.
Spot on. There is no instant cure.
Just give him time over the next few windows and season and let's see where we are at.

Touseef

As long as he makes the right profile of purchases, giving him time shouldn't have too much of a downside at this stage given how bad we are (except the time lost in the process). Really need a strong DoF to ensure purchases are towards a defined strategy that'll work long term

kundalini

I think if Solskjaer makes sensible decisions over the next 12 months, we should improve a lot next season and be in a position to challenge for the title the following season.

Build a team culture rather than the current star based culture. Stop tolerating players that don't work hard and those who ignore defensive responsibilities.

Favour players that are likely to be part of the project in the medium term, rather than giving Ashley Young 28 starts in the PL, as has happened this season.

Use the whole pitch to attack instead of just the left hand side. Dalot could offer us a lot going forwards if selected regularly.

Select players comfortable with building from the back.

Consistency of selection in the PL. Use B team for other competitions, so everyone gets plenty of mins.

Work hard on the training ground on patterns of play. Develop understanding between players.

I like the look of Greenwood. Chong seems promising, could contribute in the 2nd half of next season. I'm hopeful about Dalot and McTominay developing into very good players for us. Lindelof has improved significantly and can become even better. I expect Rashford to become an elite player in time. I wouldn't be surprised if either Fred or Pereira are decent performers next season. Bailly another who could come good, after a difficult time rediscovering his form after a couple of lengthy injuries. Luke Shaw seems back on track, though I want to see fewer errors from him next season. Martial and Lingard perhaps need to get their act together. Tuanzebe might be ready after his loan spell.

Last edited:

Seij

We'll see what happens over the summer. They can talk all they want but unless they actually take some actions to show that it's not just lip service, I don't trust anything will be done to turn this disaster around.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think we could drop out of the top six. There are a couple of teams further down the table I'd expect to beat us 9 out of 10 times.

Roboc7

Ole might have right intentions but he just isn’t in the same calibre as any of the other top 6 managers. Factor in he has to rebuild the side backed by a clueless recruitment department and it’s pretty much an impossible job already.

He’ll be gone by end of next season maybe by end of the year, best cases scenario is he sells off deadwood and brings in few good players for next manager.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
You lot can't deal with someone trying to be optimistic. There's a dusin other threads to moan in.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think if Solskjaer makes sensible decisions over the next 12 months, we should improve a lot next season and be in a position to challenge for the title the following season.

Build a team culture rather than the current star based culture. Stop tolerating players that don't work hard and those who ignore defensive responsibilities.

Favour players that are likely to be part of the project in the medium term, rather than giving Ashley Young 28 starts in the PL, as has happened this season.

Use the whole pitch to attack instead of just the left hand side. Dalot could offer us a lot going forwards if selected regularly.

Select players comfortable with building from the back.

Consistency of selection in the PL. Use B team for other competitions, so everyone gets plenty of mins.

Work hard on the training ground on patterns of play. Develop understanding between players.

I like the look of Greenwood. Chong seems promising, could contribute in the 2nd half of next season. I'm hopeful about Dalot and McTominay developing into very good players for us. Lindelof has improved significantly and can become even better. I expect Rashford to become an elite player in time. I wouldn't be surprised if either Fred or Pereira are decent performers next season. Bailly another who could come good, after a difficult time rediscovering his form after a couple of lengthy injuries. Luke Shaw seems back on track, though I want to see fewer errors from him next season. Martial and Lingard perhaps need to get their act together. Tuanzebe might be ready after his loan spell.
Top post.

lawliet354

I'm really looking forward to this summer tbh, feels like I'm gonna see some overhaul with lots of players going in and out, one that I only see at FM. Last season's summer was really awful so I'm hoping we'll get a better one this time

TMTtR

I absolutely agree with this post, I too do believe the future is bright. In all honesty why some people act in such a way that they enjoy being so miserable? What is life without hope and belief? I am just sick and tired of some of the negative comments one finds here: does ranting make you feel better about United, and about life in general? Probably not. Then why keep doing it? Because you are constantly disappointed and you are 'fed up with the bs'? Then you are either not a very emotionally/intelligently balanced person, or you are probably still too young (or perhaps recent life events have tilted you and in this case I hope things go well for you very soon!).

Now onto a couple of 'technical' things:
1. Remember: no one here is better than the decision making individuals at the Club at what they do; and those actually doing the job feel FAR worse than we do: this is their lives and careers. Yes the managers we have had since SAF, including OGS, show their limitations, seemingly profound ones, retain a bit more patience and keep reminding yourself that football is a competition, and in a competition you accept that others can be better than you, some times for decades.

2. The players: Oh yes I often feel that hatred towards some of them, oh yes I sometimes think XXX has been a waste of money and is a worthless c--t. But we have to remember that football(ers) have changed because human society has. Dare I ask, don't you sometimes just hate that 22 year old because of the way they act? The older generation of footballers is long gone. I agree with another post that Pogba is NOT lazy, and he is our best player. When I give up hope on United, is if we somehow decided to sell him this summer.

Finally please allow me to share with you a thought I have been entertaining for a while: why English teams/players always seem to raise their games against us?

My verdict: all the current players, while they grow up as a football fan, trainee, player, had been exposed to the 'annoyance of United's domestic dominance'. So when they play for a team that have no chance of challenging for any trophy that could account for personal achievement, they seize on the opportunity to slay United. What would Neil Walnock tell his grandchildren some five years down the line about some of his more recent and remarkable footballing story? Not 'I did not save Cardiff from relegation although we really tried'. But 'We beat United away on the last day of the season! It was the f***g best day of my life!'

Last edited by a moderator:

ship50

If we can make some good transfers (in and out) and Ole inspires the players with his vision and strategy, we will certainly do better. Yes, rebuilding is a tough task and we need so many improvements but this is where we are. Now we can just wait and hope for a turnaround.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It would be so United. I remember a while ago, with plenty of doom & gloom and then United pulls a surprise the following season.
:lol: what? I think the most "doom and gloom" it ever got was in 2006 when we'd just finished third, hadn't won the title in a few years, got rid of RvN and then only signed Carrick that summer. I'd say there's maybe a ... slight difference to the current situation, maybe?

Ixion

I'd like to agree but you know come August we'll be lining up with Young, Jones, Smalling, Lingard. We get rid of players like Blind, Herrera, probably Pogba, players other teams are happy to sign while we keep the same suspects who no one else would touch.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
And it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
Was just a freight train coming your way

Nah we'll get there in the end but it might take a lot longer than people think. We're probably gonna have to suck up a spell of City and Liverpool dominance and just be ready to pounce when they start to wane. It won't be done by continually tearing off the old plaster and sticking a new one on either. The club needs to restructure and build from the youth up.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
And it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
Was just a freight train coming your way

Nah we'll get there in the end but it might take a lot longer than people think. We're probably gonna have to suck up a spell of City and Liverpool dominance and just be ready to pounce when they start to wane. It won't be done by continually tearing off the old plaster and sticking a new one on either. The club needs to restructure and build from the youth up.
Yeah I think as long as Pep and Klopp are around, those two will be dominating the PL. Mind you, in Pep's case at least, it might not be that long given his history. The next five years will basically be a rat race between the other top four to catch up with them, and hopefully we can close the gap, but given the last six years at the club, I can't say I'm as optimistic as some in here.

soapythecat

What is with all this blind faith in Ole? He has done nothing as a manager, other than relegate the team that beat us yesterday. You expect him to get a tune out of these players (majority will still be here next season, so think this summer will clear them out), when the likes of LVG and Jose couldn't? Please.
There is nothing bright about the future of this club under the current ownership and management team. When the players report back for training with 3, maybe 4 underwhelming signings the brightness of the future for next season will be there for us all to see.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
God, I absolutely hate the term rebuilding.
It's different this time it's not rebuilding. Solksjaer will actively remove everyone not fit enough from the squad and replace them sith adequate players. I have confide ce he will do this. I'm sure it won't happen in 1-2 seasons but we'll get there.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah I think as long as Pep and Klopp are around, those two will be dominating the PL. Mind you, in Pep's case at least, it might not be that long given his history. The next five years will basically be a rat race between the other top four to catch up with them, and hopefully we can close the gap, but given the last six years at the club, I can't say I'm as optimistic as some in here.
Three choices!

Carry on being pessimistic, because that's going to really help your mood.

Be totally apathetic- then be accused of not being a 'proper fan' because 'you don't care enough.'

Look forward with some hope because we will get there in the end. However the doom merchants will want to drag you down to their level.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Disclaimer: Please don’t moan. There should be plenty of other threads to do so.

Solskjær stated that he has had discussions with the board and they all know that they’ve got a massive job ahead of them with rebuilding the squad. It’s clear that the plan is to build towards having a young side with players filled with energy and desire as well as talent, or in other words a typical Manchester United side as we know the club from the SAF era. We’ve had Van Gaal who made a lot of terrible signings and then Mourinho who went against the «DNA» of the club with making short-term signings and players suited to cynical deep-lying football rather than very attacking.

We’ve now got in my opinion a manager that wants to make the ‘right’ signings. He wants to buy young players rather than overpaying for old established luxury players which has been the trend in recent years; Players who lack the desire that you need in order to get back to the top.

We have a young generation of very good players coming through. Greenwood is a great talent and will most likely be in the first team squad next season. He has been on fire for the reserves all season bagging in lots of goals. He’s ready to make the step up. We’ve also got players like Rashford and McTominay who are very talented and have a passion for the club. They care, and are willing to put in the required effort.

We need to hire a Director of Football to make the job easier for Solskjær and to bring in some much needed consistency in regards to transfers. Then, we will undoubtedly spend quite a bit in the summer. A center back that will together with Lindelöf enable us to play out from the back will have a huge impact. A right back is likely to arrive too, unless the manager decides to put his faith in Dalot. Herrera and Fellaini are gone, so we’re going to buy at least one midfielder. Another attacker or two will arrive too.

My favourite statement from Ole is that he expects the players to be fit and ready when the pre-season starts at July 1st. They’ve got their own individual training programmes to follow during the summer break, and he won’t bring unfit players to the tour. Improving the fitness level during pre-season will be more emphasized too, especially compared to how it was under Mourinho. We’re also starting the season earlier than the rest of the Premier League teams since we have to play EL qualifiers.
The result should be a team that has improved on the previous season, has a manager that demands a lot and wants to play attacking football, a squad filled with young talent and perhaps most importantly a squad that has the fitness level and desire to work harder than the opponents.

No one expects us to compete with City and Liverpool for the title, but I genuinely believe we’ll see a team that we’ll actually start to like, with players worthy of wearing the Man Utd badge. Top 4 should be the target. 3rd or 4th with proper attacking Man United-football whilst seeing a young generation of players coming through coupled with other young signings. It’s going to be a good season.
Fair play to you for being optimistic. I don't see it being a particularly good season as we'll be in the EL, miles off the top of the table while either the Scousers win the title or City get three in a row. However if we lower expectations to realistic levels (a run at top four plus EL and the cups) and see the kind of things you're talking about in your last paragraph we'll certainly be talking positively about good progress.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I'm glad that season is finally over. Terrible ending, terrible for 80% of the season really.

We need to be ruthless in the window so I will wait and see. OGS sounds like he will be in the press conferences but his actions suggest otherwise, giving Young, Jones & Smalling new contracts is literally taking the piss out the fans. How can you talking about clearing the deadwood then give a contract to a 33y.o winger who is our starting RB who has been terrible all season, surely he must see it but yet he features every game? Jones and Smalling have been here around 10 years now, and not one has nailed down a proper starting place and have not improved yet we give them long contracts, it's mind boggling. In Smalling's defence, I would keep him for next year as he has shown at times that he can be good enough and he is fit most of the time which is not the case with our other CB's (apart from Lindelof). Ideally I wouldn't want Smalling starting every game for us but there's a lot of players I would get rid of first.
I keep seeing posters say he must clear out the deadwood, but reading those posts that means people are expecting Ole to sell

Jones, Smalling, Bailly, Rojo, Young, Darmian, Valencia (going anyway).
Fred, Herrera (leaving anyway) Pereira, Lingard, Matic, Mata
Lukaku, Martial, Sanchez

That would leave with from your registered first team squad this season

defence - Dalot, Lindelof, Shaw
midfield - McT, Pogba, Garner, Gomes, Greenwood,
foward - Rashford, Chong

Given that Pogba and DDG could go as well that leaves you with pretty much noone! It's hardly surprising he has had to extend a few contracts. I also understand why people are tired of Young, but he has been a good servant to you lot through very tough times (as has Valencia) and yes he's past it now, but doesn't deserve half the battering he takes on this site! If I were Ole I would keep him too, not to play him week in and week out, he's not good enough anymore, but he'd be a good influence in the dressing room especially if Ole's plan is to bring in young British kids, you'll need someone like Young around. Same with Jones, yes he's had terrible moments and injuries, but you cant question his passion or bravery when it comes to playing for utd

Boznich

Ole says the right things but actions speak louder than words and Young, Smalling and Jones have just been given contracts.... say no more he'll be gone before christmas.